Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 2nd February 2017, 01:33   #1  |  Link
itsnotme

Seeing a very small difference using Madvr with MPC-HC

Hey everyone, I recently found out about Madvr and as soon as I got m 4k monitor, I wanted to try it. I followed the guide on the wiki to setup and configuring it, but I don't see that big of a difference between running 1080p (or less) and using Madvr with the same videos. Is there something I could do to run Madvr more efficiently?

My specs are:

GPU: GTX 1070

CPU: i7 4470

ram: 16 GB

monitor: Acer B286HK

Madvr settings:

Chroma: Lanczos 3 Taps with anti-ringing filter and Active SuperRes filter set to 4

image upscaling: NGU very high

smooth motion: Enable Smooth Motion only if judder without

dithering: Error Diffusion Option 1

Video Codec: CUVID

There is a bug on windows 10 that crashes the client if I use CUVID with NNEDI3, that's why I went with Lanczos for Chroma instead.

Screenshots of the differences: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7v...pudExFNmM/view
Most of the difference is improvement in color.

Last edited by itsnotme; 2nd February 2017 at 01:38.
itsnotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:42   #2  |  Link
Asmodian

You aren't going to see huge differences on a 28 inch TN 4K monitor.

That said, you should be able to tell the difference between NGU very high and EVR's upscaling, notice how much sharper NGU is? Use ctrl-J to see the OSD so you can verify what is happening.

Also why are you using CUVID? I strongly recommend DXVA2-copyback instead. NGU medium or high is a great option for chroma as well (NGU very high is my preferred chroma upscaling method, after testing, but medium or high is so similar it is a easy tradeoff if you need the performance).
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:34   #3  |  Link
itsnotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
You aren't going to see huge differences on a 28 inch TN 4K monitor.

That said, you should be able to tell the difference between NGU very high and EVR's upscaling, notice how much sharper NGU is? Use ctrl-J to see the OSD so you can verify what is happening.

Also why are you using CUVID? I strongly recommend DXVA2-copyback instead. NGU medium or high is a great option for chroma as well (NGU very high is my preferred chroma upscaling method, after testing, but medium or high is so similar it is a easy tradeoff if you need the performance).
I tried DXVA2-copyback, but I see a slight decrease in quality.
ctrl-j (Display Statistics) is disabled while using Madvr. How do I enable it? I can only enable it when using Enhanced video render.
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:49   #4  |  Link
Asmodian

Ah, MPC-HC has stolen madVR's ctrl-J? You will need to change the OSD hotkey in madVR then (in madVR's settings).

DXVA2-copyback does not have lower quality, they should be mathematically identical.
Old 2nd February 2017, 02:58   #5  |  Link
itsnotme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Ah, MPC-HC has stolen madVR's ctrl-J? You will need to change the OSD hotkey in madVR then (in madVR's settings).

DXVA2-copyback does not have lower quality, they should be mathematically identical.
Thanks.
How much dropped frames is considered normal?
Also, what else should I check in OSD?

About DXVA2-copyback, if it's the same, is there a reason to go with it?
Old 2nd February 2017, 04:18   #6  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotme View Post
Thanks.
How much dropped frames is considered normal?
Also, what else should I check in OSD?

About DXVA2-copyback, if it's the same, is there a reason to go with it?
DXVA2-copyback works better and is more maintained now, it takes less resources and power to run. There are some odd issues with CUVID and it hasn't been debugged to the same degree because DXVA2 is the universal solution that everyone's drivers work properly with. Some versions of Nvidia's drivers messed up CUVID too.

Dropped frames, even 10s of them, are normal when starting playback or seeking but you need to have 0 dropped frames while watching normally. You can use ctrl-r to reset the OSD after starting playback.

On Screen Display
Toggle the On Screen Display by pressing Ctrl-J.

To avoid dropped frames and/or presentation glitches the sum of the average stats "deinterlace" (if present), "rendering", and "present" must be a bit below the frame time, Y, in the line "v-sync [X] ms, frame [Y] ms". For example, progressive 29.97 fps video has a new frame every 33.37 ms so "rendering"+"present" needs to be a few ms below 33.37 ms. However, 23.976 fps video only has a new frame every 41.71 ms so you can use more demanding settings with lower frame rate video. Exactly how far below the frame time is required for glitch free playback is dependent on the system but a few milliseconds is usually sufficient.

Tags
madvr, mpc-hc, small difference