Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 1st February 2007, 17:17   #81  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonle87 View Post
1) Can you make it so that users can select which "command line options" to always be enabled by default, instead of having to manually select it from the "Muxing" menu? It's because I always use "--engage native_mpeg4" for every file that I muxed to be clean of avi compatibility hacks. I got this idea when I saw you have the checkbox option "Always use simple blocks" under the "Settings" tab.
I can certainly do this. I've been planning to move the "settings" tab to its own dialog because it's growing with each release. In such a dialog I'll also add an input box in which the user can set default options which will be added to the command line.

Quote:
2) Another thing i regularly do when muxing files to mkv is naming it in the "file/segment title" textbox under the "Global" tab. The only thing missing is an additional separate "creator/author" textbox and I was wondering if you could add that in your next version. Having a "title" and "author" textboxes is really useful for providing very basic file information. I find this simple, fast, and convenient rather than going through the trouble of creating tags, which I think should be reserved for those users who want to provide more detailed file information.
I can do that as well. This information would still have to be put into the tags because there's no other place in a Matroska file for this kind of information. The segment title is different; there's an element for this in the segment headers. But it would at least be a convenient way to add some basic information. Maybe I'll offer a complete tab "basic tags" or something like this... I'll have to think about it.

Note that neither change will happen soon. I'm also in the process of rewriting mmg using the Qt toolkit, and this takes precedence over huge changes to the current GUI.

Most of all, keep up the good work, your program just rocks. As an avid mkv user, I really enjoy using it...very easy and straightforward at creating mkv files.[/QUOTE]

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Old 1st February 2007, 19:11   #82  |  Link
Isochroma

@millvus: I already tried the avc_tc package. It was time-consuming, and no matter what I did the end result was a file that didn't play right - the audio was always going out of sync.

@Mosu: will give it a try!
Old 1st February 2007, 21:01   #83  |  Link
Okraml

Will there be VC1 support annytime soon?
Then mkvtoolnix would be the first application for muxing vc1 (demuxed from evob) to a new container (maybe with another-language audio stream).

:-) Okraml
Old 1st February 2007, 21:15   #84  |  Link
LeMoi

I was muxing a file with mmg and it fails with code 2 errors, without displaying the error message. I had to use command line to see it :
Quote:
mkvmerge v2.0.0 ('After The Rain Has Fallen') built on Jan 17 2007 10:43:41

Error: Error: Simple chapter parser: 'CHAPTER01NAME=Chapitre n
Shouldn't the GUI display it ?
Old 1st February 2007, 21:19   #85  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okraml View Post
Will there be VC1 support annytime soon?
Then mkvtoolnix would be the first application for muxing vc1 (demuxed from evob) to a new container (maybe with another-language audio stream).

Hmm I don't have any information about VC1, nor sample files, nor is there a CodecId for it... So... Probably not.

Old 1st February 2007, 21:22   #86  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMoi View Post
I was muxing a file with mmg and it fails with code 2 errors, without displaying the error message. I had to use command line to see it :
Shouldn't the GUI display it ?
Hmm it should, yes... I'll investigate.

Old 1st February 2007, 21:27   #87  |  Link
Okraml

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
Hmm I don't have any information about VC1, nor sample files, nor is there a CodecId for it... So... Probably not.
Would it help, if i would upload sample files?

A working ID could be WVC1. At least thats what mkvtoolnix recognized in this case.
(I could even upload one of the files mentioned in the post)

Old 1st February 2007, 21:36   #88  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Samples files always help. I'll also need a way to play back the files. Meaning a decoder and some demuxer that can handle evobs. I think mplayer cannot really do that yet, even with current SVN...

Old 1st February 2007, 21:39   #89  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Oh, AND I need files with LOWER resolutions. My computer cannot handle HDTV resolutions.

Old 1st February 2007, 21:42   #90  |  Link
Okraml

Quote:
Oh, AND I need files with LOWER resolutions. My computer cannot handle HDTV resolutions.
You don't need HDTV resolutions to be able to just play the files. I could play 1080i on a 17inch display with a resolution of 1280x1024.

Old 1st February 2007, 21:45   #91  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Well, what I meant is that my PC can only decode 1900x1200 resolutions with 3 or 4 frames per second Definitely not enough to see if the muxed file is OK or not.

Old 1st February 2007, 21:50   #92  |  Link
Okraml

Quote:
Well, what I meant is that my PC can only decode 1900x1200 resolutions with 3 or 4 frames per second Definitely not enough to see if the muxed file is OK or not.
Unfortunately i got no vc1 file with lower resolution. I could test for you, if you can get mkvtoolnix to mux a whole file (for now it doesn't recognize the file and with haali matroska muxer i can't get a whole file muxed neither).

Old 1st February 2007, 22:05   #93  |  Link
Isochroma

The new build works great; one minor item I noticed, however, is that the muxed file shows in its properties (MatroskaProp) 119.880127 fps.

I have done some VFR MP4 to MKV muxing before, and in those cases the fps shows as something like 27.2 or similar, so I was wondering why it still shows 119.880127?
Old 1st February 2007, 22:42   #94  |  Link
Eragon4ever
lost program in the net

I just experimented a bit with "--engage native_mpeg4".
Some of my files get out of sync after muxing them with "--engage native_mpeg4" enabled and at least one seams to drop some frames. When remuxing the mkvs both show a warning like this:

Code:
pr_generic.cpp/generic_packetizer_c::add_packet(): timecode < last_timecode (00:00:00.083 < 00:00:00.167) for 1 of 'N:\Bearbeiten\Death Note\[subs4u]_DeathNote_01HQ_(Xvid,ger.sub)[F53CD5E2].mkv'. This should not have happened.
No problem with vfw.

I'll upload a sample if needed.
Old 1st February 2007, 22:50   #95  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okraml View Post
Unfortunately i got no vc1 file with lower resolution. I could test for you, if you can get mkvtoolnix to mux a whole file (for now it doesn't recognize the file and with haali matroska muxer i can't get a whole file muxed neither).

I've downloaded a couple of samples from mplayer's server. Maybe I can start with those.

Note: Don't hold your breath. This will take lots of time.

Old 1st February 2007, 22:52   #96  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isochroma View Post
The new build works great; one minor item I noticed, however, is that the muxed file shows in its properties (MatroskaProp) 119.880127 fps.

I have done some VFR MP4 to MKV muxing before, and in those cases the fps shows as something like 27.2 or similar, so I was wondering why it still shows 119.880127?
mkvmerge just uses the AVI's FPS field. It doesn't re-calculate or guess the actual number of frames that aren't dropped. For MP4 files it's similar... Only MP4 files don't really have a FPS field; they have something similar to Matroska's default duration.

Old 1st February 2007, 22:57   #97  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon4ever View Post
I just experimented a bit with "--engage native_mpeg4".
Some of my files get out of sync after muxing them with "--engage native_mpeg4" enabled and at least one seams to drop some frames. When remuxing the mkvs both show a warning like this:

Code:
pr_generic.cpp/generic_packetizer_c::add_packet(): timecode < last_timecode (00:00:00.083 < 00:00:00.167) for 1 of 'N:\Bearbeiten\Death Note\[subs4u]_DeathNote_01HQ_(Xvid,ger.sub)[F53CD5E2].mkv'. This should not have happened.
No problem with vfw.

I'll upload a sample if needed.
Yeah, a sample file would be nice. Maybe it's time to fix native MPEG4 mode for good.

Old 2nd February 2007, 00:13   #98  |  Link
Eragon4ever
lost program in the net

Quote:
Yeah, a sample file would be nice. Maybe it's time to fix native MPEG4 mode for good.
Sample is up (DeathNote_01HQ).

And an other thing: Once you have muxed an H.264 AVI with NALU 3 you have to demux it first to set the NALU to 4 in case the decoder does not work with 3 (maybe command line works to but not with GUI). It would be nice to be able to set the NALU for mkv (and mp4), too.
Old 2nd February 2007, 00:35   #99  |  Link
Isochroma

I've noticed that the same mpeg-4 asp .avi (dx50, xvid, etc.) muxed in mkv with native and vfw modes, uses more cpu on playback in native mode than vfw mode.
Old 2nd February 2007, 08:18   #100  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eragon4ever View Post
Sample is up (DeathNote_01HQ).
Thanks.

Quote:
And an other thing: Once you have muxed an H.264 AVI with NALU 3 you have to demux it first to set the NALU to 4 in case the decoder does not work with 3 (maybe command line works to but not with GUI). It would be nice to be able to set the NALU for mkv (and mp4), too.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm I see your point. Might not be that hard to implement.

Closed Thread