Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 28th July 2011, 14:44   #21  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron.Rotoscope View Post
Cool thanks, I'll try that out! Would you recommend one over the other? Or should I just do my own speed tests?
Both commands do basically the same thing, so they will run equally fast.

Quote:
Oh hey, could I do something like

Code:
mplayer -benchmark -vo yuv4mpeg:file=>(x264 --demuxer y4m --bitrate 2000 -o vid.264 -) -ao pcm:fast:file=>(NeroAacEnc -ignorelength -cbr 96000 -if - -of aud.aac) source.avi
to feed to separate audio and video tracks at the same time?
Yep, that should work.

Quote:
Unfortunately I need a solution that runs in Mac/OSX also, and I'm told that AviSynth is unusable on OSX due to a lack of VFW (not that I claim to know what that is).
Well, AviSynth doesn't depend on VFW that much -- x264, ffmpeg, MPlayer and avs2yuv call it directly. Most of AviSynth could be ported to other operating systems if someone had the time and will.

But currently you need Wine to run AviSynth on OS X. It should work pretty well, except for DirectShow input. I haven't tried QTSource.
nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 15:44   #22  |  Link
Electron.Rotoscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by nm View Post
Both commands do basically the same thing, so they will run equally fast.

Yep, that should work.
A-maaaa-zing

Quote:
Well, AviSynth doesn't depend on VFW that much -- x264, ffmpeg, MPlayer and avs2yuv call it directly. Most of AviSynth could be ported to other operating systems if someone had the time and will.

But currently you need Wine to run AviSynth on OS X. It should work pretty well, except for DirectShow input. I haven't tried QTSource.
Is the version at http://avisynth3.unite-video.com/ worth trying to compile at all?

I've seen other people recommending Wine but... I dunno, it seems so icky. And I worry about performance, if I encode a feature length blu-ray it's already like 24 hours of rendering time or more. Plus it would make it less portable right? Like Wine would have to be installed on any box that tries to use it? My hope is that if I can put the right codecs into mplayer at build time and make it all static, I can just put the binaries into other Mac boxes and spread out where we do the encoding.
Plus I don't think the Chief Computer Person here would like me installing Wine at all, for fear it'll break other things.
Electron.Rotoscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 16:02   #23  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Is the version at http://avisynth3.unite-video.com/ worth trying to compile at all?
Probably not. AFAIK the Avisynth 3 project is pretty much dead

Quote:
I've seen other people recommending Wine but... I dunno, it seems so icky. And I worry about performance
Wine, as the name implies, is not an emulator.

It basically is a loader for PE executable, which otherwise can't load under Linux/Unix, plus a collection of DLL's that provide a Win32-compatible API layer, which is necessary to make Win32 application work under Linux/Unix.

Thus the performance hit shouldn't be that big. That plus: You can run Avisynth+avs2yuv under Wine and from there pipe to a "native" encoder process...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 28th July 2011 at 16:26.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 18:33   #24  |  Link
Electron.Rotoscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Wine, as the name implies, is not an emulator.

It basically is a loader for PE executable, which otherwise can't load under Linux/Unix, plus a collection of DLL's that provide a Win32-compatible API layer, which is necessary to make Win32 application work under Linux/Unix.

Thus the performance hit shouldn't be that big. That plus: You can run Avisynth+avs2yuv under Wine and from there pipe to a "native" encoder process...
Oy. I might just start doing that. I do wonder about scaling and deinterlacing using mplayer and whether it would be better to use avs instead. I know it'll hit resistance but maybe...
Old 28th July 2011, 18:52   #25  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

There's no point in trying to run Avisynth under Wine for you, since the part you want is DirectShowSource and that doesn't work under Wine anyway. AFAIK the only multipurpose source filter that works reliably in Avisynth under Wine is FFmpegSource, and since you said there's no FFmpeg decoder for your codec, that won't help you at all.

Avisynth 3 has been very dead for years and even when it was "alive" it was mostly vaporware.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 19:00   #26  |  Link
Electron.Rotoscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
There's no point in trying to run Avisynth under Wine for you, since the part you want is DirectShowSource and that doesn't work under Wine anyway. AFAIK the only multipurpose source filter that works reliably in Avisynth under Wine is FFmpegSource, and since you said there's no FFmpeg decoder for your codec, that won't help you at all.

Avisynth 3 has been very dead for years and even when it was "alive" it was mostly vaporware.
Darnit! At least that saves me the trouble of trying. Do you happen to know about QTSource? Or something else that'll call system quicktime decoders at runtime? As I said I'm currently looking at just building whatever decoders I need into mplayer, if I can ever get mplayer to compile.
Old 29th July 2011, 01:11   #27  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
There's no point in trying to run Avisynth under Wine for you, since the part you want is DirectShowSource and that doesn't work under Wine anyway.
QTSource doesn't seem to use DirectShow for anything. It uses QuickTime though, and I don't know if it works well enough with Wine.
Old 29th July 2011, 01:38   #28  |  Link
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
QTSource doesn't seem to use DirectShow for anything. It uses QuickTime though, and I don't know if it works well enough with Wine.
It might actually work, unless Apple decided to finally remove the old Carbon API's. I haven't tested it though.
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 22:11   #29  |  Link
Electron.Rotoscope

Quote:
The first command is missing a "-" to let x264 know that it should read standard input:
Code:
mplayer -nosound -benchmark -vo yuv4mpeg:file=>(x264 --demuxer y4m --bitrate 2000 -o p.264 -) dvd1.mkv
The second command (mkfifo ...) also works fine when using the correct filename, as you pointed out. As a minor adjustment, I'd swap x264 and mplayer the other way around so that mplayer is put to background and x264 to foreground. x264 terminates later than mplayer.
Got the swap to work, it behaves much less annoyingly while it's running now, thanks!

The "-" thing doesn't seem to work though. Works fine in the command line, totally looks great, but I think OSX's bash script must not have the capability, because it freaks out as soon as I put #!/bin/bash in front of it and run it as a .sh script. I guess I'll just stick to the named pipes.
Old 30th July 2011, 01:29   #30  |  Link
nm

Quote:
The "-" thing doesn't seem to work though. Works fine in the command line, totally looks great, but I think OSX's bash script must not have the capability, because it freaks out as soon as I put #!/bin/bash in front of it and run it as a .sh script.
Did you put #!/bin/bash on its own line before the mplayer command? I don't see why it wouldn't work then, and it does work within Bash script files on Linux.
Old 30th July 2011, 06:01   #31  |  Link
Electron.Rotoscope

Quote:
Did you put #!/bin/bash on its own line before the mplayer command? I don't see why it wouldn't work then, and it does work within Bash script files on Linux.
I know right? I swear it's just something the Mac version of bash weirdly just doesn't support.
Old 30th July 2011, 14:49   #32  |  Link
Reimar

Quote:
If I were coming from ProRes, I'd be able to use MPlayer (at least, according to http://doom10.org/index.php?topic=1822.msg8476#msg8476) but as far as I can understand that solution won't work for anything other than ProRes.
It also will work with cineform, the original discussion/patch was here: http://lists-archives.org/mplayer-de...how-codec.html
and it has been integrated since.
From a technical standpoint it is nearly the same as using Wine, however it should be simpler from an end-user standpoint since you only need the mplayer/mencoder binary and the Cineform DIrectShow codec binary.
In addition MPlayer can use QuickTime codecs, too, but you need to set it up correctly in its codecs.conf and I have some doubts that's something you'll manage easily.
Reimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2011, 19:24   #33  |  Link
Electron.Rotoscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimar View Post
It also will work with cineform, the original discussion/patch was here: http://lists-archives.org/mplayer-de...how-codec.html
and it has been integrated since.
From a technical standpoint it is nearly the same as using Wine, however it should be simpler from an end-user standpoint since you only need the mplayer/mencoder binary and the Cineform DIrectShow codec binary.
In addition MPlayer can use QuickTime codecs, too, but you need to set it up correctly in its codecs.conf and I have some doubts that's something you'll manage easily.
Yeah I don't mind building the decoders in when I compile. I'm okay getting the GUIDs and the .ax files, still looking into details of how to make proper new codecs.conf entries, but at least mplayer is compiling now! I think it ultimately just is my solution, not ffmpeg, and I'll just use a separate mp4 muxer
Old 30th July 2011, 20:28   #34  |  Link
Reimar

Quote:
Yeah I don't mind building the decoders in when I compile. I'm okay getting the GUIDs and the .ax files, still looking into details of how to make proper new codecs.conf entries
There already is a codecs.conf entry for the .ax file. The problem is though that you need to find an older version, the current v5 version will only work on Windows (for now).
You might have better luck with the .qtx component, and codecs.conf entries for it should be easier to create (just look for existing ones with "driver qtvideo" as examples), but nobody has done that so far.
Old 30th July 2011, 20:57   #35  |  Link
Electron.Rotoscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimar View Post
There already is a codecs.conf entry for the .ax file. The problem is though that you need to find an older version, the current v5 version will only work on Windows (for now).
You might have better luck with the .qtx component, and codecs.conf entries for it should be easier to create (just look for existing ones with "driver qtvideo" as examples), but nobody has done that so far.
I was wondering about the version. So even if I find the latest .ax it won't work? Damnit. I'll see what I can do about bringing in the .qtx, I certainly have the filter...
Old 30th July 2011, 23:11   #36  |  Link
Reimar

Quote:
I was wondering about the version. So even if I find the latest .ax it won't work?
Previous versions will work. And if you update to latest MPlayer the version included in the current NeoPlayer (http://www.cineform.com/downloads/Ne...328-110628.zip) should work as well.

Tags
cineform, ffmpeg, mp4, x264