Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th February 2003, 09:33   #61  |  Link
Didée

Spontaneous idea:

- Calculate splitpoints for 2/3/(4?) CD's from the stats?

That'd probably not be for exact splitting. But one could do a 1st-pass with very quick settings, to get roughly the overall bitrate distribution. After that, one could find a nice splitpoint in the area of the calculated one, and perform seperate 2pass-encodings for each CD, that all fit perfectly.

My little flickr gallery. (Yes indeed, I do have hobbies other than digital video!)
Didée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2003, 16:44   #62  |  Link
Blueseb
Italian Doom9 Staff

great tool, indeed.
it would be fine to add a simple scaling calculator for final movie size, 'cause when i do 1st pass on a part of the movie i have to calculate manually the 'desired avi size' for that part

furthermore, you could integrate your bitrate calculator in stats viewer

furthermore, total movie frames could be retrieved from the .d2v file

...furthermore, you cold add an artificial intelligence and a telepathic unit to realize all my wishes before i ask for...

ok, no joke: i appreciate your work, i only wanted to suggest some (imho) useful feature for the 'calculation' tab
Old 7th March 2003, 18:33   #63  |  Link
NiTroGen
aka Íéêüëáïò

It is nice to know that my work is appreciated!

Quote:
Originally posted by Didée
Spontaneous idea:

- Calculate splitpoints for 2/3/(4?) CD's from the stats?

That'd probably not be for exact splitting. But one could do a 1st-pass with very quick settings, to get roughly the overall bitrate distribution. After that, one could find a nice splitpoint in the area of the calculated one, and perform seperate 2pass-encodings for each CD, that all fit perfectly.
It is not a bad idea, but when splitting an AVI, you should take into accound the size audio stream. Also, when you have a VBR audio stream, there is no way to find the split point, unless you analyse the audio. Sorry, but it is too hard for me to do that. This program is just a s.stats file viewer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Blueseb
it would be fine to add a simple scaling calculator for final movie size, 'cause when i do 1st pass on a part of the movie i have to calculate manually the 'desired avi size' for that part
Haven't I already done that?

Quote:
furthermore, you could integrate your bitrate calculator in stats viewer
Well, I'll think about it.

Quote:
furthermore, total movie frames could be retrieved from the .d2v file
Do you know how can I retrieve that information from the .d2v file, using Visual Basic 6?

Quote:
...furthermore, you could add an artificial intelligence and a telepathic unit to realize all my wishes before i ask for...
I already have a .dll that can do this kind of stuff. I'll find a way to implement it in my program.

I'm currently working on next version and besides the bug fixes, I'd like to add something new before releasing it. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by NiTroGen; 7th March 2003 at 18:38.
NiTroGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2003, 18:03   #64  |  Link
Blueseb
Italian Doom9 Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by NiTroGen
Quote:

Haven't I already done that?
DOH! I was too criptic. The fact is: I do a test on a part of the movie, e.g. 5%, then I load stats file and enter total movie frames, the program gives me the estimated size of the 1st pass file, e.g. 1000 MB. Now i'd like to scale the final movie size to 700 MB, not the current 5% file, so i have to calculate 5% of 700=35MB and enter this as desired avi size (as you can see it's only a question of laziness
but i hope i've been more clear now)

another issue: a clip 640*266=170240 pixel/frame, loaded stas in your program returns 174080=640*272 how can it be???
Old 15th March 2003, 18:37   #65  |  Link
kilg0r3
! - User - !

hi nitrogen,

since your site tends to be incredibly slow, i thought it might be useful for you if host your little program on my modest, little place.

cheers

kilg0r3
Old 19th March 2003, 19:01   #66  |  Link
crOOk
Compulsive PixieDust User

@NiTroGen
Great tool you made!
Quote:
originally posted by NiTroGen
It is not a bad idea, but when splitting an AVI, you should take into accound the size audio stream. Also, when you have a VBR audio stream, there is no way to find the split point, unless you analyse the audio.
Would you mind implementing an experimental feature that would calculate the splitpoint(s), WITHOUT taking the vbr audio streams into account? I don't think they have that big of an impact on the total size. The outcome might not be exact, but at least one could avoid a result in which each part has a size further than 5-10MB or so away from the aimed 702MB. If the size would only be within two MBs or so around the CD size, most people I think won't mind and will still overburn the video or cut off the last part. Without the possibility to insert keyframes in the middle of the bitstream, this part of the movie has to be encoded again sometimes . Please think about it, it might help making a great tool even better .
crOOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2003, 17:59   #67  |  Link
NiTroGen
aka Íéêüëáïò

I've been very busy the last 2 months and I really couldn't find time to spend on Stats Viewer. I attach the "unfinished" version 1.61, which was compiled 2 months ago. I really wanted to add more stuff, before releasing it. Anyway, since there will be no releases at least for one month (or maybe two!!!), I give you this version, which has some bugs fixed and a better frame information list. This version will not be upped on the official site, until it is finished.

BTW, I've read all you suggestions and I'll see what I can do. But, as I already told you, I don't have enough free time to spend on StatsViewer, so be patient.

PS. MSFLXGRD.OCX is needed!!!!

EDITED by Koepi: old, outdated attached version deleted as on the site a newer version is up.

Last edited by Koepi; 27th May 2003 at 08:00.
Old 24th May 2003, 12:07   #68  |  Link
NiTroGen
aka Íéêüëáïò

StatsViewer v1.65

New version 1.65 - 24th May 2003

Quote:
Changes from 1.60:

+ Added min, max & average keyframe distance reports (seems to work fine).
+ Added max sequential P-frames report (may be buggy).
+ Added max sequential B-frames report (works fine).
* Frame list window fixed.
* Some small bugs fixed.
* Report to text file updated with new information.
- Suggestion of Curve Aggression removed, because no suggestion can be made by reading the stats file (as told by Koepi on this thread).
- Console window removed to save some window space.

!!! MSFLXGRD.OCX is required to run this version.
The calculations suggested at the posts above are not implemented in this version. They are NOT ignored and they may be included in the next version 1.70.

Get the new version from the Official StatsViewer Site.

Last edited by NiTroGen; 24th May 2003 at 12:25.
Old 26th May 2003, 19:51   #69  |  Link
NiTroGen
aka Íéêüëáïò

New URL!!!

And there is a new URL of the StatsViewer's web site. Very fast!!!
Update your bookmarks --> http://users.uoi.gr/ch02029/statsviewer
Old 8th July 2003, 14:45   #70  |  Link
Thistleknot

Low bitrates and alt-cc

Is there any advice on using alt-cc with low bitrates? Such as not using the ignore last 1% tool (I'm thinking with low bitrate movies you need those high % for those scenes, otherwise your cutting off needed bitrate in an overall low quality film), I noticed using alt-cc with a low bitrate encode and during high action (or is it motion?) scenes it looked quite bad.
What average bitrates should I use the last 1% tool on? Above 900 kbps? Or does it also depend on the size of these last 1% frames?

Also, is there any way to determine the type of curve aggression to use from the displays in Stats Viewer (such as the frame size distribution graph)? At first I was getting non "skateboard ramp" looking distributions, now I'm getting nice curved distributions, so I assume using Medium is the way to go.

And if someone could point me in the direction to find an explanation in lamen's terms how to use "Explaining the Alternate Curve Compression Algorythm" picture that comes with NiTroGen's fine progam.
Old 9th July 2003, 23:35   #71  |  Link
OBcecado
LuLz

Hi, just to ask if it's windows 2k sp4 problem that doesn't include this dll: msstdmft.dll or you forgot to include it.

Keep up the good work.
OBcecado is offline   Reply With Quote