Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th February 2008, 04:02   #141  |  Link
squid_80

http://avisynth2.cvs.sourceforge.net...rev=Avisynth64

Avisynth.h lives under \core.
I haven't been able to work on the main code for a long time.
squid_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 01:41   #142  |  Link
XBoy

Mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid_80 View Post
http://avisynth2.cvs.sourceforge.net...rev=Avisynth64

Avisynth.h lives under \core.
I haven't been able to work on the main code for a long time.

Any plans to port the MT plugin over to 64bit?

My AMD X2 3800+ can't keep up
XBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 00:42   #143  |  Link
Prettz
easily bamboozled user

squid_80: Thanks so much for taking the time to compile all this stuff for us! I have no idea how long it takes you to recompile someone else's project, but I'm wondering if you plan to do the latest version of DGDecode (1.4.9), since the version on your site is 1.4.6? I'm only asking because I'd like to take advantage of the improvements in DGIndex 1.4.9 in the near future.

Also, for what it's worth, here's some filters that I always use. Not meaning to sound demanding, just putting these out there as suggestions for when you've got time to recompile more filters:
FluxSmooth
Unfilter
RemoveGrain (it's got an SSE3 implementation with a mode that's meant to replace Undot)
MSharpen

I really wish I could help you out with recompiling old stuff to 64-bit, but the best compiler I've got on my computer is the first version of VS .NET. It's probably of no use for making optimized 64-bit builds.
Prettz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2008, 06:15   #144  |  Link
IanB
Avisynth Developer

The big drawback with the 64 bit implementations is you have to loose all the inline assembler code. Many filters don't have C or C++ versions of their algorithm, and for those that do they are usually orders of magnitude slower than the inline assembler version.

Ask Squid, it is anything but trivial to port inline assember into a form usable in the 64 bit environment. Inline assemblers greatest attraction is you can write all the use once frilly code in C++ then you get to do raw inner meat in assembler complete with still being able to reference all the C++ variables.

Remember MMX code is already 64bit and SSE2 is 128bit. Porting the frilly code to 64 bit effectivly gains you nothing. Note! I am not saying writing fresh in 64bit gains you nothing, hell for a start you get twice as many registers, I am just saying porting to 64 bit is a pain.

Blame Micro$oft they chose to remove the inline assembler feature from their 64bit compiler.
IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2008, 09:15   #145  |  Link
squid_80

Intel's compiler does support inline assembly, that's how I was able to do tdeint, masktools, clouded's motion.dll and awarpsharp in quick succession (although awarpsharp took extra work since it has no source code!). Unfortunately my version is old and won't integrate with VS2005 so I have to do everything from the command line.
After 2.6 gets released I planned to do a proper build of the core with all built-in functions included using ICC. I know it's not nice having code that can only be compiled by a certain (expensive) compiler but I consider that MS's fault, not mine.
Old 26th February 2008, 20:38   #146  |  Link
XBoy

custom build rules

What about using custom build rules to integrate into VS2005 similar to how YASM integrates?

also, could you put mt_masktools and fft3dfilter on your list to do? (It's for my vista media center http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=719041)

BTW, you know when's 2.6 coming out?
Old 27th February 2008, 07:08   #147  |  Link
squid_80

I don't really see the point having a 64-bit media center. (I don't see the point of 64-bit vista full-stop.)
Old 27th February 2008, 23:21   #148  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
I don't really see the point having a 64-bit media center. (I don't see the point of 64-bit vista full-stop.)
While I agree with you on the media center bit, the latter has a point as soon as you slap 4 or more GB of RAM into a machine.

Or did you mean that Windows XP 64bit still exists as an upgrade choice for Vista 64bit?

np: Autechre - IO (Quaristice)
Old 28th February 2008, 09:35   #149  |  Link
squid_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leak View Post
Or did you mean that Windows XP 64bit still exists as an upgrade choice for Vista 64bit?
That's what I meant - if you're going to use >4gb ram and want faster speed, it's stupid to use an OS that's a memory hog and runs slower than it's predecessor.
Old 29th February 2008, 04:16   #150  |  Link
XBoy

Quote:
That's what I meant - if you're going to use >4gb ram and want faster speed, it's stupid to use an OS that's a memory hog and runs slower than it's predecessor.
I got more than 4gb of ram

anyhow...

One question, does 32bit vista running on a 64bit processor allow 64bit data manipulation, or is it moot since optimized code would usually just use the MMX/SSEx (64/128bit) registers?

Last edited by XBoy; 29th February 2008 at 04:19.
Old 29th February 2008, 15:10   #151  |  Link
squid_80

It's mainly moot (ok that sounds odd) because SIMD (single instruction multiple data i.e MMX/SSE) code can already do 64/128 bits processing, but:
- 64-bit mode has 8 more SSE registers
- 64-bit mode has 8 more general purpose registers which can be helpful in SIMD loops which use many pointers/counters
- for x32 non-SIMD code, 64bit data manipulation is still possible (with C/C++ at least, using the __int64 type) but two 32-bit registers are used. Typically this means 2-3 times as many instructions as the same operation performed in 64-bit mode.
Also because the general purpose registers are larger it's possible to do tricks like horizontal adding via multiply that weren't possible before.
Old 3rd March 2008, 18:56   #152  |  Link
Prettz
easily bamboozled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
The big drawback with the 64 bit implementations is you have to loose all the inline assembler code. Many filters don't have C or C++ versions of their algorithm, and for those that do they are usually orders of magnitude slower than the inline assembler version.

Ask Squid, it is anything but trivial to port inline assember into a form usable in the 64 bit environment. Inline assemblers greatest attraction is you can write all the use once frilly code in C++ then you get to do raw inner meat in assembler complete with still being able to reference all the C++ variables.
Oh I know. I've looked at a lot of the avisynth code before (pre-SoftWire at least), and have a decent amount of experience doing inline assembler with VC++ 6.0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB
Remember MMX code is already 64bit and SSE2 is 128bit. Porting the frilly code to 64 bit effectivly gains you nothing. Note! I am not saying writing fresh in 64bit gains you nothing, hell for a start you get twice as many registers, I am just saying porting to 64 bit is a pain.
But to use 64-bit you need all the .dlls used to be 64-bit, right? So since every script I've ever written uses FluxSmooth, I'm stuck with 32-bit everything right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB
Blame Micro$oft they chose to remove the inline assembler feature from their 64bit compiler.
Did they ever give an official explanation on why they did this?
Old 3rd March 2008, 19:44   #153  |  Link
squid_80

I will do fluxsmooth if you promise to give me feedback on whether it works properly or not.

Edit: FluxSmooth thread has version 1.1b available but I can only find source code for 1.1a. Anyone have it?

Last edited by squid_80; 3rd March 2008 at 19:53.
Old 5th March 2008, 05:21   #154  |  Link
Prettz
easily bamboozled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
I just occurred to me to ask: are you sure about this? I had read long, long ago that Intel made their C++ compiler specifically to be compatible with VC++, and I assume their agreement continues to this day. Ignoring the practical question of "can you afford buying Intel's compiler?", isn't it technically still possible to compile C++ code with inline assembly (assuming you convert the assembly code to its 64-bit equivalent manually)? I assume squid doesn't have any version of Intel's compiler, but I'm asking this just generally.

The assembly won't take advantage of the added registers, sure, but it's a hell of a lot better than nothing; since the asm algorithms using MMX/SSE tend to already do things impossible through C/C++ code without using VC/ICL-specific mnemonics.

Quote:
I will do fluxsmooth if you promise to give me feedback on whether it works properly or not.

Edit: FluxSmooth thread has version 1.1b available but I can only find source code for 1.1a. Anyone have it?
I only just got my Vista 64-bit box up and running and my first overclocking experience is going poorly. But I'll try.
Old 5th March 2008, 05:27   #155  |  Link
squid_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettz View Post
I just occurred to me to ask: are you sure about this? I had read long, long ago that Intel made their C++ compiler specifically to be compatible with VC++, and I assume their agreement continues to this day. Ignoring the practical question of "can you afford buying Intel's compiler?", isn't it technically still possible to compile C++ code with inline assembly (assuming you convert the assembly code to its 64-bit equivalent manually)? I assume squid doesn't have any version of Intel's compiler, but I'm asking this just generally.
I think you missed my post from a bit higher up:
Quote:
Intel's compiler does support inline assembly, that's how I was able to do tdeint, masktools, clouded's motion.dll and awarpsharp in quick succession (although awarpsharp took extra work since it has no source code!). Unfortunately my version is old and won't integrate with VS2005 so I have to do everything from the command line.
Old 31st March 2008, 15:45   #156  |  Link
Rodger

Just to let you know...

since there is no localization for WinXP 64bit it is a big pain for non-english version users to work with it.
A lot of directories are different and some software even denies installation on those "MUI"-Versions.

WinXP 32bit is a damn great OS, I know.
But WinXP64bit is no alternative to Vista64bit! And as much as I can tell....vista runs surprisingly round and smooth on my system.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 17:18   #157  |  Link
Klipper

Quote:
You can find it here -> http://bengal.missouri.edu/~kes25c/FluxSmooth-1.1b.zip w/ source
Klipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 20:24   #158  |  Link
Humbula

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettz View Post
squid_80: Thanks so much for taking the time to compile all this stuff for us!
Where can I find the new 64 bit version? And is it v2.5.7?
Humbula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 19:20   #159  |  Link
XBoy

Is there a new version of avisynth for x64 yet?
Old 2nd May 2008, 20:36   #160  |  Link
XBoy

I'm trying to compile the version here: http://avisynth2.cvs.sourceforge.net...rev=Avisynth64

but I'm running into some missing links:

avisynth.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "struct AVSFunction * Levels_filters" (?Levels_filters@@3PAUAVSFunction@@A)

Where are these?

Also, where's the directshow dll portion?

Last edited by XBoy; 2nd May 2008 at 21:31.