Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 ASP

Old 29th July 2009, 04:02   #1  |  Link
ZoFreX

32-bit Xvid in 64-bit Windows from source: xvid.inf is broken

I decided to try compiling Xvid for fun (don't judge me) and did so with Visual Studio 2008 and MASM, which was an extremely painless process

However, getting the damn thing working turned out to be quite tricky! The basic problem is, in 64-bit Windows, the c:\windows\system32 folder is for 64-bit things. 32-bit things are supposed to go in c:\windows\syswow64. Similarly, there are different areas of the registry too: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft for 64-bit things, and HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft for 32-bit.

The problem with these is that the 64-bit paths are the same as the 32-bit paths when using 32-bit Windows. This means the xvid.inf provided by the Xvid project works for a 32-bit Xvid in 32-bit Windows, or a 64-bit Xvid in a 64-bit Windows, but it will not properly install a 32-bit Xvid in a 64-bit Windows.

After much fiddling I have modified it to correctly install 32-bit Xvid in 64-bit Windows: http://pastebin.ca/1510679

This script will install to the proper alternate locations if run in 64-bit Windows (and if I've done my job properly, should still work for installing in 32-bit Windows too!).

Please note that this script will NOT properly install 64-bit Xvid in 64-bit Windows - for that the unmodified xvid.inf should be used.

So I'm posting this for three reasons:
  1. Hopefully this will be useful to someone else
  2. I want to know if this works, which means testing it on more than just my system
  3. If people think it's good enough then I'll propose a patch to Xvid to add this in... but I thought I'd post here first, because mailing lists scare me
ZoFreX is offline   Reply With Quote