Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 22nd October 2014, 13:50   #221  |  Link
Zachs
Suptitle, MediaPlayer.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by patul View Post
Tested with ffdshow_rev4533_20140929_clsid (latest revision) and ffdshow_rev4530_20140209_clsid (previous revision to ffdshow_rev4532_20140717_clsid), both versions threw the exception. I'll try to revert to ffdshow_rev4532_20140717_clsid and report back. Thanks
Strange. I didn't have to do anything besides adding it to the video post processing list to get it to work. I did find a bug with how I was detecting input format though so I'll correct that in the future. It was to do with how YUV format was changed from what LAV Video Decoder reported and I was using the format from that instead of the ffdshow filter.

As a workaround, just have ffdshow output to YV12 for now.
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 14:02   #222  |  Link
patul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachs View Post
Strange. I didn't have to do anything besides adding it to the video post processing list to get it to work. I did find a bug with how I was detecting input format though so I'll correct that in the future. It was to do with how YUV format was changed from what LAV Video Decoder reported and I was using the format from that instead of the ffdshow filter.

As a workaround, just have ffdshow output to YV12 for now.
After full install of ffdshow_rev4532_20140717_clsid, it works somehow, I also noticed the bug you mentioned just now. Previously I only installed the raw video decoder filter, since I only need its post processing. Thanks
patul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 14:04   #223  |  Link
Zachs

I haven't tried svp but does that mean you could run svp with MPDN now?
Old 22nd October 2014, 14:07   #224  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Zachs,
Any plan to release just the renderer as a separate filter?

Why limit the renderer to only support a locked-in GUI and player feature set?
If you release the renderer as a stand-alone filter, I'll be happy to add support for it in Zoom Player.
Old 22nd October 2014, 14:13   #225  |  Link
Zachs

I explained before that it's not possible as it's not written as a DirectShow renderer. .NET is not friendly when it comes to writing DirectShow renderers unfortunately. Believe me when I said I have tried. It will take some c++ shims and a lot of effort to turn it into a DirectShow renderer.
Old 22nd October 2014, 14:47   #226  |  Link
patul

Quote:
I haven't tried svp but does that mean you could run svp with MPDN now?
Sure, I can run SVP with MPDN. Tried and confirmed.
Old 22nd October 2014, 15:22   #227  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Zachs:
That's a shame, it severely limits the exposure of your cool work.
Old 23rd October 2014, 01:06   #228  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Sure, I can run SVP with MPDN. Tried and confirmed.
Anything special people should know about configuring it for use with MPDN?
I had never used SVP before, and just downloaded and installed it getting the results shown in the picture below. Here is what I did:

Downloaded SVP_3.1.6 from the SVP website, installed SVP unchecking everything except SVP 3.1.6 and Options (since there is no need for the SVPTube player, or anything MPC, LAV, or MadVR related (since LAV is already installed, and none of the other things would be used with MPDN and SVP)), left Install AviSynth and Install FFDShow checked and left the other Extras unchecked.
Launched MPDN, Options, DirectShow, Video and added ffdshow raw video filter to selected filters.
What (if anything) is wrong or missing compared to your (patul) setup?

Old 23rd October 2014, 01:17   #229  |  Link
patul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Viewer View Post
Anything special people should know about configuring it for use with MPDN?
Make sure you use YV12 as "Primary output color space" in ffdshow under "Output" tab, and you could try to turn off the "Set interlaced flag in output media type" check box. In fact, to make it simple, I use YV12 in the whole DS graph.
Old 23rd October 2014, 01:18   #230  |  Link
Zachs

There's a bug in MPDN that requires ffdshow to be set to output YV12 only as a workaround for now. I'll be fixing that in the next release along with the new feature "RenderScript".
Old 23rd October 2014, 03:43   #231  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Make sure you use YV12 as "Primary output color space" in ffdshow under "Output" tab, and you could try to turn off the "Set interlaced flag in output media type" check box. In fact, to make it simple, I use YV12 in the whole DS graph.
Quote:
There's a bug in MPDN that requires ffdshow to be set to output YV12 only as a workaround for now. I'll be fixing that in the next release along with the new feature "RenderScript".
Thanks for the replies, but unfortunately changing the output to only YV12 in ffdshow video decoder configuration didn't eliminate the problem. I'll wait until the next release and test it again after that. (I testing by adding ffdshow raw video filter in external filters in MPC-HC, and it worked with that player so once the fix is instituted hopefully it will work in MPDN too). (Not that its perfect in MPC either - it smears subtitles in MPC-HC).

Last edited by Anime Viewer; 23rd October 2014 at 03:55.
Anime Viewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 04:50   #232  |  Link
patul

Have you tried to turn off the "Set interlaced flag in output media type" check box? I had exactly same problem, but after changed the output color space and turn off the "Set interlaced flag...", the problem gone.
Old 23rd October 2014, 05:47   #233  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Have you tried to turn off the "Set interlaced flag in output media type" check box? I had exactly same problem, but after changed the output color space and turn off the "Set interlaced flag...", the problem gone.
Yes, I tried with the set interlaced flag unchecked. I also tried unchecking everything except YV12 in addition to setting YV12 as the primary output color space.

I also tried setting other things in the ffdshow video decoder configuration program to only use YV12 (like AviSynth), but that made no difference. Prior to that test I was running with all the boxes in the left column of the configuration program unchecked. I experimented with checking and changing settings in Postprocessing and codec. I also tried unchecking all output formats except for Yv12 in LAV video decoder. None of those experiments worked either.

I noticed if I hover over the ffdshow video decoder raw square on the startbar while video is playing it reads:
Input: YV12 (uncompressed)
Output: NV12

Last edited by Anime Viewer; 23rd October 2014 at 06:14. Reason: added reading from ffdshow video decoder raw when hovered over
Old 23rd October 2014, 06:25   #234  |  Link
Zachs

Guys, I'm about to release the next version in the next half an hour and it should fix that problem. Might wanna save your time testing the newer version instead.

EDIT: Version 2.8.0 is now released.
I've tested ffdshow with 2.8.0. Working fine now.

Last edited by Zachs; 23rd October 2014 at 07:18.
Old 23rd October 2014, 09:42   #235  |  Link
Anime Viewer
Troubleshooter

Quote:
Guys, I'm about to release the next version in the next half an hour and it should fix that problem. Might wanna save your time testing the newer version instead.

EDIT: Version 2.8.0 is now released.
I've tested ffdshow with 2.8.0. Working fine now.
The 2.8 version did indeed fix the color issues when playing with ffdshow and SVP. However SVP causes graphic anomalies (what I previously referred to as subtitle smearing, but I now see isn't just the subtitles - see picture linked below). Since I see it occur in both MPC-HC and MPDN I suspect it would have to be fixed by SVP, and there may not be anything that can be done to resolve it from the video player side.

Screen shot taken from MPDN 2.8.1:
http://postimg.org/image/71jxvhiqt/
Edit: I found the issue causing the SVP blurring (aka double contours and interpolated frames issue). Unfortunately the solution talked about on the linked page doesn't entirely get rid of the problem since SVP removed some of the options from their profile options. (Decrease grid step and search radius are no longer selectable options).
http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Watching_anime

Last edited by Anime Viewer; 23rd October 2014 at 10:17. Reason: added SVP partial workaround for anime and subtitles
Old 23rd October 2014, 10:23   #236  |  Link
edison

It seems the XySubFilter does not work with 2.8.1 here.
edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 10:28   #237  |  Link
Zachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by edison View Post
It seems the XySubFilter does not work with 2.8.1 here.
No that still remains on my todo list.
Old 23rd October 2014, 10:31   #238  |  Link
Zachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Viewer View Post
The 2.8 version did indeed fix the color issues when playing with ffdshow and SVP. However SVP causes graphic anomalies (what I previously referred to as subtitle smearing, but I now see isn't just the subtitles - see picture linked below). Since I see it occur in both MPC-HC and MPDN I suspect it would have to be fixed by SVP, and there may not be anything that can be done to resolve it from the video player side.

Screen shot taken from MPDN 2.8.1:
http://postimg.org/image/71jxvhiqt/
Edit: I found the issue causing the SVP blurring (aka double contours and interpolated frames issue). Unfortunately the solution talked about on the linked page doesn't entirely get rid of the problem since SVP removed some of the options from their profile options. (Decrease grid step and search radius are no longer selectable options).
http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Watching_anime
I'm not a big fan of frame interpolation. Can't stand the artefacts and soap opera feel. Hated the hfr hobbit!
Old 23rd October 2014, 10:43   #239  |  Link
huhn

please don't put frame interpolation and HFR in the same box this is like apple and moonstone.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 10:49   #240  |  Link
Zachs

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
please don't put frame interpolation and HFR in the same box this is like apple and moonstone.
I guess I wasn't clear. I meant I personally feel HFR = soap opera. Using frame interpolation to achieve HFR with unwanted artefacts is... worse. Again, personal feeling. But to each his own.

Tags
direct3d, mpdn, nnedi3, opencl, reclock