Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 23rd March 2022, 16:53   #62821  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy_cake View Post
Why use Reclock when you can just nudge the refresh rate by a tiny amount and avoid having to tamper with audio.
For the reason that, I screwed my previous monitor trying to tamper with refresh rates.
Siso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2022, 16:55   #62822  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
yes on 120 is close to perfect.
the avg response time of VA LCDs is worse then the blurred image is shown anyway.

on 60 HZ i can easily spot the "blurred" frames and notice it at 120 not so sure...
This sounds interesting.
Siso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2022, 16:55   #62823  |  Link
flossy_cake

Check it out

Hell yes ✓ dialled that sucker in
flossy_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2022, 16:59   #62824  |  Link
flossy_cake

Still the unsolved mystery: why does 1080p23 official timings mathematically result in 23.977hz?
Old 23rd March 2022, 17:06   #62825  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
For the reason that, I screwed my previous monitor trying to tamper with refresh rates.
It can't be that bad -- NVidia and AMD have custom res tool in their official driver. If it was risky and 99.999% of users won't even use it, they wouldn't include it.

Actually I got 3 hard system freezes when testing custom resolutions, but that turned out to be cause I left MPC-HC with MadVR window open to monitor the actual hz during tuning. After closing the MPC window it stopped freezing.
Old 23rd March 2022, 20:23   #62826  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
did you consider that your audio clock is messed up?

no that is not what this option does.
this option exists for debug only don't ever change it.
you can not use the video as the master clock is technically not a good idea.
to use the video as master clock you need to change the audio which is utterly impossible with bit streaming.

there is reclock and SM for a reason.

you hope he releases a version of madVR that works properly with win 11 or you just stick to win 10.

i don't likie to be the guy say new window bad. i mean you have 8 identifications i'm at 244 and i reported this bug many many month ago nothing changed in that regard. hdr output was broken too also reported like 6 month ago.

madVR and win 11 are not meant for each other for now it's just the case.
https://www.reddit.com/r/htpc/commen...clavmadvr_hdr/

I see, this madVRhdrMeasure158b fix it

https://www.videohelp.com/download/m...easure158b.zip

This update fix it, no need to use the old MadVR, the new version works just as before and have more settings.

Have MadVR installed and Replace the MadVR files with these file from the zip and you won't have HDR or identification issues anymore.

Last edited by x7007; 23rd March 2022 at 20:26.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2022, 21:03   #62827  |  Link
huhn

i have that version for a while now it not meant to fix any win 11 bugs what so ever and will not work for long.

Quote:
It can't be that bad -- NVidia and AMD have custom res tool in their official driver. If it was risky and 99.999% of users won't even use it, they wouldn't include it.

Actually I got 3 hard system freezes when testing custom resolutions, but that turned out to be cause I left MPC-HC with MadVR window open to monitor the actual hz during tuning. After closing the MPC window it stopped freezing.
it's very very unlikely but it can make major issues even damage a device.

there is a reason they make very clear warning in the driver. and madshi in it guide.

just ending up with a blackscreen is already a major issue for a normal PC user.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2022, 21:12   #62828  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
i have that version for a while now it not meant to fix any win 11 bugs what so ever and will not work for long.

it's very very unlikely but it can make major issues even damage a device.

there is a reason they make very clear warning in the driver. and madshi in it guide.

just ending up with a blackscreen is already a major issue for a normal PC user.
What's the best way to improve the seeking? With MadVR 0.92.7 I had the seeking very fast for 1 second forward or back, now if I move forward or back it sometimes freezes the image and seek or randomly work like it should. I tried all the Sync and Rendering buffer and anything in the madvr menus. nothing actually fix it. it's very annoying because I like to seek parts in the movies 1 sec every time... with the Potplayer D3D11 render it works perfectly, just with some jitter after the seeking, but it works every time I seek 1 sec image is moving. My 6900xt utilization is not even 65-75% usage so it can't be GPU processing, though the rendering goes through the roof when seeking more time 220ms or so, it wasn't like that..

Last edited by x7007; 23rd March 2022 at 21:15.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2022, 21:24   #62829  |  Link
huhn

the amd decoder are pathetic use software to even have a chance for proper seeking.
i'm not sure if it is even possible anymore to see the hardware decoder usage on AMD anymore.

the "decoder block" is called UVD you can still see it in GPU-Z but just the frequency.
Old 24th March 2022, 00:44   #62830  |  Link
Balling

Quote:
Hey guys, is 23.976hz actually 23.977hz? CRU seems to think it is:
This is a wrong way to use CRU. You need to add VIC, not DTD. DTD timings are quite complex, compared to just normal VIC that are just mandatery supporting /1.001 multiplier.

Last edited by Balling; 24th March 2022 at 00:53.
Balling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2022, 00:49   #62831  |  Link
Balling

Quote:
Still the unsolved mystery: why does 1080p23 official timings mathematically result in 23.977hz?
They do not, that is a bug in windows 7 and 10 and old menus of 11.
Old 24th March 2022, 00:52   #62832  |  Link
Balling

Quote:
the display refreshrate is relative to the CPU clock it's meaningless only useful for math.

why would you waist your time to maybe reach 43 mins when you could get none.

try your luck with letting madVR calculating the best value for your screen and current audio clock because your audio clock does not seem to agree with your targeted 23.967023.
Audio clock never agrees with video clock, it is good thing it does not. CPU has nothing to do with it, internal clocks of CPU in minix os are using picosecond precision, so there is more than enough precision for anything, even quantum experements if you root your CPU Bigcore. Besides when you measure display clock with javascript vs with edid metadata... You are kinda confusing stuff. See https://www.vsynctester.com/
Old 24th March 2022, 00:55   #62833  |  Link
Balling

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollaco View Post
Hey guys,

Also on a side note (since I haven't used an nvdia card in a long time) is the whole 23.976 hz issue resolved that the card can play 23.976 properly like the Intel cards can?

Thanks for any help!
No. Only if your TV is LG C9 with actual HDMI VIC that supports 1.001 multiplier. VRR with mpv should be able to do it too though on x2 fps.
Old 24th March 2022, 00:56   #62834  |  Link
Balling

Quote:
But actually that setting is misleading because you can still control more decimal places by setting other values like total pixels & porch.
Well, dah!
Old 24th March 2022, 02:27   #62835  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balling View Post
Audio clock never agrees with video clock, it is good thing it does not. CPU has nothing to do with it, internal clocks of CPU in minix os are using picosecond precision, so there is more than enough precision for anything, even quantum experements if you root your CPU Bigcore. Besides when you measure display clock with javascript vs with edid metadata... You are kinda confusing stuff. See https://www.vsynctester.com/
i just say that the shown first number in the madVR OSD is relative to the CPU. even if the CPU has nothing to do with GPU audio sync the first line is about CPU and GPU clocks not audio.
what has accuracy to do with that and java script and an webpage to do with any of that? seriously what do you even have a slight clue what you are talking about.

and it's a good thing they disagree so intel should stop selling CPU because the CPU agree with the GPU and even the audio because they share the same clock generator...

what is wrong with you what do you read into this...
Old 24th March 2022, 08:17   #62836  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
Well, dah!
Why dah? The NVCP custom res tool reports an incorrect third decimal place value for the refresh rate, and gives the user the impression that it is adjusting the pixel clock to match the user-specified refresh rate, pixel count, porch & sync width.

It was only after using CRU as a calculator to plug in all the values from NVCP that I could logically deduce NVCP is altering the pixel clock in such a way that isn't compatible with the user-specified refresh rate, and then confirming this in Ctrl+J.

Quote:
This is a wrong way to use CRU. You need to add VIC, not DTD. DTD timings are quite complex, compared to just normal VIC that are just mandatery supporting /1.001 multiplier.
Are Extron timings incorrect then? Do you have a link to VIC timings?

Last edited by flossy_cake; 24th March 2022 at 09:00.
Old 24th March 2022, 12:03   #62837  |  Link
huhn

it doesn't "nvidia" or more like your GPUs 23.976 just looks like 23.977 to your CPU.

that's why you should not put to much value on it.
Old 24th March 2022, 15:43   #62838  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
So it turns out neither CRU or MadVR can apply my target refresh rate for 0 frame skips, but for whatever reason NVCP can.

So I can let MadVR do its optimisation process and then copy its recommended timing into NVCP custom resolution. For the refresh rate I just enter the first 3 decimal places without rounding.

Alternatively use the calculator linked previously to manually calculate what the timing parameters need to be.

Well the above only ended up working for 1080p23.

For 1080p59 I couldn't get NVCP to give me an actual refresh rate that I wanted -- same problem with it snapping/rounding to nearest 0.002hz which isn't enough precison. In the end, nudging the NVCP value by 0.001hz did the trick and I got a good mode with 1 repeat every 16 hours or so. But I feel like I only got it on a fluke and the whole thing is super dodgy and doesn't really work properly. The whole process took 2 hours and I was about to give up.

Plus there are so may other horrid little bugs with NVCP's custom resolutions that make it very difficult to use. I am sure the average user would get blown up by all the bugs and wouldn't have a clue what mode they are in or what they created.

For example the modes you see in NVCP are not the modes seen by the system and MadVR, which are the ones in Windows's screen resolution GUI. NVCP calls 59hz 60hz and 23hz 24hz in custom resolutions and deletes the 60 & 24 from the main modes so you can't even switch back to them which you need to do since you can't be in the same mode you're adjusting. If you open a custom mode for editing, the refresh rate is all wrong and if you saved it you would destroy it. Also custom modes blank out the colour format option without telling you what it is (I need YCbCr as my TV sucks at RGB) but just so happens to always use the last selected one from main modes. What a nightmare, so glad my .000 modes don't need tuning.

Last edited by flossy_cake; 24th March 2022 at 15:46.
Old 24th March 2022, 16:57   #62839  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

One reason why I long ago stopped chasing that dragon. I now use WASAPI Audio Renderer and drop/repeats are always minimum 1-2 hours for all refresh rates. Good enough!

QB
Old 24th March 2022, 19:05   #62840  |  Link
scollaco

I've always been on Intel for graphic card for the longest time and all refresh rates work perfectly with no need for custom resolutions. But, now to push my MadVR settings further, I am finally switching back to NVDIA after almost 10 years. I'm still waiting for my RTX3090 to arrive. Are there any issues with this card playing 23.976 at 3840x2160p? Do I still need to come up with custom refresh rate for 23.976? If so, can someone share their exact settings and method for 3840x2160 23.976 custom refresh for madVR? Also, I'll be on windows 11 if that matters. Thanks for any help/advice.

EDIT: I do use bitstreaming through WASAPI to my receiver and If out of the box for the RTX3090, the drop is only seen in 1-2 hours, then I'm okay with that as I always pause the movie multiple times to head to the bathroom or grab something to eat

Last edited by scollaco; 24th March 2022 at 20:58.
scollaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling