Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 6th January 2023, 18:10   #1641  |  Link
Nikse555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kirby View Post
Why isn't it possible to set linebreaks as shown in video preview of an ass -file "WrapStyle 0"
IMO this is a poor choice.
Wrap style 0 gives way too long lines that are difficult to read and it also does not split lines at periods or commas which also improves readability.

You can get pretty close by this:
In Options - Settings - General - Rules: Set "Single line max length" to 80 (depending on font/style)
In Options - Settings - Tools - Auto break: keep only "Break by pixel width"

(When "Advanced Sub Station Alpha" was born and monitors/TVs were small, WrapStyle 0 was probably okay... around 1996...)

Last edited by Nikse555; 6th January 2023 at 18:13.
Nikse555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2023, 18:50   #1642  |  Link
Matt Kirby

Ah ok, I understand you. My workflow is (when I translate subs) that I stretch the subs in X-Scale to 134 % at a 16:9 film. So an item becomes no more width as 4:3 in a display. After finished work I set the x-factor back to 100%. So I thought I could save the line breaks (I made in 134 % modus).

Last edited by Matt Kirby; 6th January 2023 at 18:58.
Matt Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2023, 21:08   #1643  |  Link
Nikse555

OK, zooming in temporary with wrap style 0 makes sense. Still, you can make better breaks by taking comma/periods into account.
Sorry, SE does not have a single-line-max-pixel-width which is probably what wrap style 0 uses.
Old 15th January 2023, 19:29   #1644  |  Link
Atlantis

I have OCRed and got an incorrect word LI. The problem is, Spell Check doesn't catch it. It's in French and LI is not in the Names List or User word list.
Where is it? I want to remove it. We need a search function that can find a word in any list.
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2023, 07:09   #1645  |  Link
Nikse555

@Atlantis: Sorry, the French spell check dictionary allows this... perhaps you can find another French dictionary? (SE requires Hunspell/OpenOffice dictionaries. The .dic/.aff files needs to be placed in the "Dictionaries" folder)
Old Yesterday, 00:28   #1646  |  Link
Atlantis

I don't understand. The French spell check dictionary allows what exactly? Do you mean LI is a word in the dictionary?
Atlantis is offline   Reply With Quote