Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th March 2018, 17:33   #49821  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclingo View Post
i dont have any calibration tools but when I apply the settings we think are correct its still way too red compared to the standard EVR renderer.

As i've said before, if I apply a BT2020 with BT709 curve what I get looks identical to EVR renderer, no idea why this is, it just is, I even bypassed my AVR and it made no difference.

Something odd going in MADVR with AMD cards, (i have no issues with my NVIDIA 1050 in the same machine with calibration off)
You should at least know what a BT.709 curve is. Read Asmodian's guide.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2018, 17:41   #49822  |  Link
brazen1

Why aren't you using DCI-P3 at 2.20?
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2018, 19:27   #49823  |  Link
mclingo

Hi, BT2020 is the only setting that gives me the correct screen colours, ALL other settings have been tried, none of them work, i think this is a bug.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdu32xdk72...22.38.png?dl=0

Last edited by mclingo; 25th March 2018 at 19:42. Reason: post toned down.
mclingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2018, 22:04   #49824  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Hi, BT2020 is the only setting that gives me the correct screen colours, ALL other settings have been tried, none of them work, i think this is a bug.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdu32xdk72...22.38.png?dl=0
I meant pure power curve, not just 2.20. Try that. It probably won't fix anything, but that is what it's supposed to be.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2018, 22:33   #49825  |  Link
tyrindor

I'm using a 4K OLED both as a monitor and HTPC. When I play 4K HDR content MadVR resizes all my windows and throws them into the top left corner after I close MPC-BE. I don't even need to fullscreen the video, just launch 4K HDR, closed MPC-BE, TV goes black for a few seconds and windows get resized/moved. Does not happen with 1080p content.

I have supported resolutions set to:
2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25, 2160p29, 2160p30, 2160p59, 2160p60

This happens with stock MPC-HC with MadVR selected as well. Any ideas how I can fix it?

EDIT: It doesn't happen 100% of the time. I have to open/close it a few times sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
I have always used 'Home Theater' to label my HDMI port on my 2016 LG E6. The lst lime I tried the 'PC' label I remember it could not do UHD at 23.976 / 24.

Going back to nvidia and 10bit vs 12bit. What I think is really needed is a nvidia driver hack to unlock 10bit for those of us who have a panel that can do both 10bit and 12bit.
Make sure you enable Deep Color on that HDMI input, because my E6 does UHD at 23.976 / 24 on the PC label. However, PC label absolutely ruins HDR on the LG E6, locks settings, and makes it look washed out. You also cannot get 4:4:4 without using the "PC" label. So if you are using the display as both a desktop monitor and an HTPC, gotta switch between PC mode and non-PC mode depending on HDR. It sucks, shame on LG for never fixing it.

Last edited by tyrindor; 25th March 2018 at 23:43.
tyrindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2018, 23:39   #49826  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
I meant pure power curve, not just 2.20. Try that. It probably won't fix anything, but that is what it's supposed to be.
i started off with that and was sure it was right, after a while I came to conclusion it was still too red so I moved to BT2020, i'm now questioning that decision again after comparing a new set of images I took from interstellar today, could be The Phantom Menace isnt a good movie to compare colour with.

I'll just go back to DCi-P3 with pure curve 2.20 for a while and see how it goes.
Old 26th March 2018, 00:10   #49827  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrindor View Post
I'm using a 4K OLED both as a monitor and HTPC. When I play 4K HDR content MadVR resizes all my windows and throws them into the top left corner after I close MPC-BE. I don't even need to fullscreen the video, just launch 4K HDR, closed MPC-BE, TV goes black for a few seconds and windows get resized/moved. Does not happen with 1080p content.

This happens with stock MPC-HC with MadVR selected as well. Any ideas how I can fix it?

EDIT: It doesn't happen 100% of the time. I have to open/close it a few times sometimes.
Hi,

I have had same issue what helped me was changing some values in registry keys, look here buddy

https://superuser.com/questions/4534...ing-from-sleep

read 3rd post, and let me know about the outcome
maxkolonko123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2018, 00:57   #49828  |  Link
tyrindor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post
Hi,

I have had same issue what helped me was changing some values in registry keys, look here buddy

https://superuser.com/questions/4534...ing-from-sleep

read 3rd post, and let me know about the outcome
Changed the values, restarted, and sadly no go. I've had that tweak work in the past with other window resizing problems, had high hopes.

I end up deleting the entire configuration directory and restarting, which resulted in only 1 entry instead of 6 which was correctly set to 3840x2160. However it still happens, and even after another restart there is still only 1 entry there that is set to the correct resolution.

I'll have to try a direct connection and bypass my receiver to see if that's what is causing it, unless someone has anything else i can try.

Last edited by tyrindor; 26th March 2018 at 01:08.
Old 26th March 2018, 04:01   #49829  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
i started off with that and was sure it was right, after a while I came to conclusion it was still too red so I moved to BT2020, i'm now questioning that decision again after comparing a new set of images I took from interstellar today, could be The Phantom Menace isnt a good movie to compare colour with.

I'll just go back to DCi-P3 with pure curve 2.20 for a while and see how it goes.
gamma doesn't change "color" it only changes brightness nothing else.

the bt 709/601 curve is not the gamma curve we understand it something not fully it give you something like an sRGB gamma curve not sure what why it should be used.

madVR doesn't care if you have a AMD or NVIDIA card. so GPU driver differences?

BTW. there is a content flag for HDMI content with nvidia user have full control over it this flag can change the way a TV behaviours.
could be something simple as this most TV have an option to disable this stuff.

and just to make that absolutely clear you will not get proper color without an calibration that's the why people calibrate there screens.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2018, 04:44   #49830  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:

Details of TV, receiver, video card, general configuration? (I'm assuming latest driver.)

I had incredibly annoying problems like this anytime I needed to change resolution on Win10 1709 when I had a laptop with 1080 vs external monitor of 4K, Optimus setup -- Windows would transfer the main screen to the 1080p and then back to the 4K, screwing up everything. It also did that whenever the screen went in powersave move, a well-known problem of Win8 and up. But it sounds like you don't have a laptop, so I'm not sure what would be causing the transfer to low resolution and back. Any other screens show up in display settings?
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2018, 07:32   #49831  |  Link
tyrindor

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
Details of TV, receiver, video card, general configuration? (I'm assuming latest driver.)

I had incredibly annoying problems like this anytime I needed to change resolution on Win10 1709 when I had a laptop with 1080 vs external monitor of 4K, Optimus setup -- Windows would transfer the main screen to the 1080p and then back to the 4K, screwing up everything. It also did that whenever the screen went in powersave move, a well-known problem of Win8 and up. But it sounds like you don't have a laptop, so I'm not sure what would be causing the transfer to low resolution and back. Any other screens show up in display settings?
Titan XP connected to a Denon X7200WA connected to a LG E6 OLED. Using blue jean's HDMI cables for everything. Latest driver. Latest Win10 (only a month old install).

Still only showing 1 display config, not even a simulated entry, under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

Doesn't make sense, but it's super annoying having to resize my windows every time I watch 4K HDR. It even resizes steam, and my steam friend list, which is closed and running completely in the background.

Last edited by tyrindor; 26th March 2018 at 07:37.
Old 26th March 2018, 10:14   #49832  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
Titan XP connected to a Denon X7200WA connected to a LG E6 OLED. Using blue jean's HDMI cables for everything. Latest driver. Latest Win10 (only a month old install).

Still only showing 1 display config, not even a simulated entry, under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Configuration

Doesn't make sense, but it's super annoying having to resize my windows every time I watch 4K HDR. It even resizes steam, and my steam friend list, which is closed and running completely in the background.

Wow, i have there around 30 entries

https://imgur.com/a/dMHL5

I did change a lot of them to match 4k resolution, especially low ones like 640x480 but yet still sometimes i got same issue like u, random windows getting shrinked and put in left top corner.

I thought maybe it was cause of my Onkyo amp is old and not support 4k resolution so something is messing up the system ( i use amp for hd audio, then tv for picture from pc), but looks like this is not the case

Would be nice to find some solution for it, cause know i dont even know what kind of entries i should have in the registry :/
Old 26th March 2018, 11:53   #49833  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Short update on my HDR situation - the convo above between tyrindor and maxkolonko123 got me thinking about reg entries, so...

I ran DDU and cleared all reg entries and rebooted and reinstalled the latest Nvidia driver, and without tempting fate, it has solved my HDR woes.

Go figure now the Nvidia HDR API and the OS HDR toggle look the same.

K
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2018, 11:55   #49834  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
gamma doesn't change "color" it only changes brightness nothing else.

the bt 709/601 curve is not the gamma curve we understand it something not fully it give you something like an sRGB gamma curve not sure what why it should be used.

madVR doesn't care if you have a AMD or NVIDIA card. so GPU driver differences?

BTW. there is a content flag for HDMI content with nvidia user have full control over it this flag can change the way a TV behaviours.
could be something simple as this most TV have an option to disable this stuff.

and just to make that absolutely clear you will not get proper color without an calibration that's the why people calibrate there screens.

i've almost pulled the trigger on a full calibration a couple of times, picture is so damn good on my OLED compared to every other LCD TV i've ever had i've just not felt the need.

Interesting about the content flag, that might explain why putting my TV in PC mode fixes the colour issues, it may disable the content flags,

No idea how i'd found out if this was the case though.

I'm now using DCI-P3 with pure power curve 2.20, think i'm happier with this now for most content.
Old 26th March 2018, 12:28   #49835  |  Link
maxkolonko123

Quote:
i've almost pulled the trigger on a full calibration a couple of times, picture is so damn good on my OLED compared to every other LCD TV i've ever had i've just not felt the need.

Interesting about the content flag, that might explain why putting my TV in PC mode fixes the colour issues, it may disable the content flags,

No idea how i'd found out if this was the case though.

I'm now using DCI-P3 with pure power curve 2.20, think i'm happier with this now for most content.
What color issue you talk about ?

I have lg e6 oled and i cant notice a smallest difference in color between hdmi label and PC label/mode

RGB full 8bit in PC mode looks identical to me as YCbCr 4:2:2 10bit or YCbCr 4:4:4 8bit
Old 26th March 2018, 12:32   #49836  |  Link
Manni

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainlesskodi View Post
Short update on my HDR situation - the convo above between tyrindor and maxkolonko123 got me thinking about reg entries, so...

I ran DDU and cleared all reg entries and rebooted and reinstalled the latest Nvidia driver, and without tempting fate, it has solved my HDR woes.

Go figure now the Nvidia HDR API and the OS HDR toggle look the same.

K
...which is precisely why DDU is the first step in the instructions I posted a few posts back re drivers upgrade. It's a pain and most of the times it's unnecessary but it's a good way to make sure that these kind of issues don't creep in.
Denon X8500HA>HD Fury VRRoom>TCL 55C805K
Manni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2018, 13:42   #49837  |  Link
Razoola

Quote:
Make sure you enable Deep Color on that HDMI input, because my E6 does UHD at 23.976 / 24 on the PC label. However, PC label absolutely ruins HDR on the LG E6, locks settings, and makes it look washed out. You also cannot get 4:4:4 without using the "PC" label. So if you are using the display as both a desktop monitor and an HTPC, gotta switch between PC mode and non-PC mode depending on HDR. It sucks, shame on LG for never fixing it.
I don't have any HDR issues personally, I don't use the PC label on my HDMI input.

I do think however there may be issues relatd to the nvidia drivers locking some display modes to 12bit when the panel supports 10bit also.
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2018, 13:57   #49838  |  Link
oldpainlesskodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni View Post
...which is precisely why DDU is the first step in the instructions I posted a few posts back re drivers upgrade. It's a pain and most of the times it's unnecessary but it's a good way to make sure that these kind of issues don't creep in.
Yeah, lesson learnt.

K
oldpainlesskodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2018, 14:06   #49839  |  Link
mclingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxkolonko123 View Post
What color issue you talk about ?

I have lg e6 oled and i cant notice a smallest difference in color between hdmi label and PC label/mode

RGB full 8bit in PC mode looks identical to me as YCbCr 4:2:2 10bit or YCbCr 4:4:4 8bit

Which GFX card are you using?

I dont think its that anyway as that would also affect the EVR renderer, on mine I only get blown out reds in MADVR, no issues at all with other renderers, I think there is a bug with MADVR but only when using AMD RX cards.

Last edited by mclingo; 26th March 2018 at 14:08.
Old 26th March 2018, 14:13   #49840  |  Link
huhn

how do you even get EVR to use the AMD HDR API?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling