Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > HDTV / DVB / TiVo

Old 23rd March 2003, 08:14   #1  |  Link
FreQi

HDTV / DTV tools -- Transport Streams to AVISynth

Edit: I've written a more current guide later in this thread (link)

I finally managed to upgrade my computer, put an antenna on my roof and install my HiPix card. I am currently getting really good signals for ABC, NBC and CBS (strengths exceeding 80) and am able to successfully "record" the transport streams. I've been poking through the forums a bit, but haven't really come up with any straight how-to's for getting a .ts into avisynth so I can make some sexy xvid's. All I know is I need to use some or all of the following:

* HDTV2Mpeg2 v1.07
* DVD2AVI (no idea what version)
* AVISynth 2.5
* MPEG2DEC.DLL (unknown what version)
* Decomb.dll (one that supports avisynth 2.5)

Could some one type up, or point me to, a basic set up guide? I am familiar with doing tv captures, so all I need to know is how to get a .ts into avisynth. I should be able to figure out the deinterlacing and IVTC'ing.

Note: I did find SMC's post on inmatrix but the steps there seem a bit out-dated, particularly since the use of YU12...

Last edited by FreQi; 30th March 2007 at 01:03. Reason: updated guide
FreQi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2003, 17:12   #2  |  Link
trbarry

FreQi -

I'll be making up a mini-guide that follows how I've been handling it. I'll post it here but it is still only in the planning stages right now.

But I can summarize a 3 step process:

1) Use HDTV2Mpeg2 (v1.09 or v1.10) just to verify which PID numbers you want, that is, which sub-channel you want from your input stream. You don't actually have to save any files here, just write down the 2 numbers. Optionally you can also use this to cut commercials though I prefer to do it later in VirtualDubMod.

2) Use the save-oe HDTV supporting version of DVD2AVI to make a project file, demux the ac3, and also to decide how you will process the file (which VirtualdubMod template). A test binary of the save-oe version is on my site at www.trbarry.com/DVD2AVIT3.zip. Note you still have to set the PID numbers in the DVD2AVI.ini file for HDTV in this version. Also, you usually can't use Force Film on HDTV and will need Decomb(), TomsMoComp(), or YV12InterlacedReduceBy2() later.

Since the PID numbers are almost always one of the pairs <x11,x14>, <x21,x24>, or <x31,x34> I personally just have 3 folders with 3 copies of DVD2AVI and the ini file and then just start the right one. It's a small program.

3) Then (with Avisynth 2.5 and MPEG2DEC3) use VirtualdubMod to open an HDTV template with the Open Using Avisynth function. I'll post some templates (shell Avisynth scripts) for HDTV with my mini-guide. Or just make and use an Avisynth script. I keep the ac3 so I also load the ac3 file into VdubM here, set the audio delay, cut out commercials if needed, set audio to direct stream copy, and encode. You can also edit the script (Tools->Script Editor) at this point to uncomment some extra filters in the template.

I mostly encode with Xvid and find HDTV needs at least a bit rate of about .25 bits per total pixels encoded. I usually reduce the dimensions to either 1280x720 or 960x544, cropped to remove black bars. For 1280x720 @ 30 fps this comes out to about 7 mbps and for only 950x544 @ 24 it's only about 3.1 mbps, though I may use a bit more.

The real limitation tends not to be the space required but the needed CPU to smoothly play Xvid HDTV clips which rises with higher bit rates, resolutions, and frame rates. For this reason I avoid the newer fancier compression options like b-frames, 1/4 pel, and GMC. This is not just because they are experimental and maybe subject to change but because all of them can tend to need a more powerful CPU to play at higher resolutions. So use them with care but be aware a bunch of folks on the Xvid forum will know a lot more about this than I do, so maybe seek advice there.

And for 60 FPS progressive source material (like 720p or 480p) I'll reduce the frame rate using SelectEven(), possibly followed by Decimate(cycle=5) to get either 30 or 24 FPS.

Most of the rest of the stuff you will need can be found in the Avisynth 2.5 (YV12) FAQ. After the DVD2AVI step it's basically just like processing VOB's except with bigger pictures.

To get you started, here is the HDTV_1080_To_Qtr_Res.avst template. This is is a fast simple one that will deinterlace/ivtc most any 1080i stream to a 960x544 output. Just cut and paste it to a file by that name in your Virtualdubmod/template folder, then say Open With Avisynth, choose this template (first!) then choose your .d2v project file as the input file.

Code:
#ASYNTHER HDTV_1080_QTR_RES (To 960x544)
[MPEG2Source("%f",cpu=0)]
#crop(8,64,0,-64)        # Uncomment to crop if needed
#UnDot()                 # Uncomment to remove mosquito noise
YV12InterlacedReduceBy2()
#Decimate(cycle=5)       # UnComment for movies to get 24 fps
return last
Feel free to ask here again if you have more specific questions on this. My post here was just a brain dump of what I'd been planning.

BTW, kudos & props to the Virtualdubmod & Avisynth teams for making all this a bunch easier than it used to be.

- Tom

edit: Since I've got this far I've made this thread sticky until I get a real mini-guide out.

Last edited by trbarry; 23rd March 2003 at 18:27.
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2003, 21:38   #3  |  Link
FreQi

Does using DVD2AVIT3 eliminate the need for converting the .TS's into VOBs (or aka mpeg2). That sounds like a nice time saver, but I also read somewehre that it's really easy to make these Transport Stream -> VOBs into DVD's (I have access to a burner). However, that should probably be a totally different thread...

I continued to poke around trying to figure out how to get my d2v into avisynth, and I managed to find out DVD2AVI v1.76 fixed me up. The .d2v file that DVD2AVI 1.77 was making didn't want to open in AVISynth 2.08 (I switched back to 2.0x when I couldn't get 2.5 to work with MPEG2DEC.DLL from Dividee). The problem I ran into was AC3 Audio. I would really like to keep ac3 audio with my encodes, however I do not know how to use avisynth to make my Trim()'s cut the audio as well. Is MarcFD's AC3Source what I am looking for? (it's an avs 2.5 filter, so I'll have to switchup to 2.5 and MPEG2DEC3.dll). In the past I have always worked with huffyuv avi's with wav audio. What I know I can do is use DVD2AVI to demux the audio to a 44.1 wav, then use AVISource().AudioDub() and just stick with vbr mp3. But when those 5.1 audio feeds come of the air, I'll really want to know how to keep AC3 (won't I?).

BTW, The reason I want to make avisynth do the video and audio cuts (instead of vdub) is because I bounce between divx 3.11a and xvid, and I want to make sure the material each is encoding is exactly the same. Trying to set the exact same frame cuts in vdub and then in nandub is a waste of time when I can just open the same .avs in the different programs.

Last edited by FreQi; 24th March 2003 at 21:45.
Old 25th March 2003, 05:54   #4  |  Link
trbarry

Yep, you don't need to convert it to a vob first. A few of the DVD2AVI versions just demux and do that on the fly.

And if the only thing you are worrying about is getting the exact same deleted sections then you can just save & load the processing settings in Vdub. I always save them anyway in case something decides to crash or I have to do it over for some other reason.

I keep meaning to learn more about how Avisynth handles 5.1 sound but I've pretty much gotten used to this way now.

- Tom
Old 25th March 2003, 08:23   #5  |  Link
FreQi

It seems I am unable to use YV12. Here's what brings me to that conclusion (I'll write these out in case other people have any of these symptoms, maybe they suffer from the same problem I am):

* When I use DVD2AVIT3 to open a set of .TS files, I get an error saying "You video card cannot handle YUV display. Conversion will work, but you will not get any display in YUV mode". I click OK and it crashes. Note: The error message does say "You video card..." instead of "Your..." in case you feel like correcting grammar ;]

* Then I tried using AVISynth 2.51 and VirtualDub 1.5.1 to open a script (below) but got the error message "Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'YV12' (unknown)" and it goes on to say I need a Video for Windows (VFW) codec. So I tried installing MarcFD's vble video codec (beta version).zip (linked here) thinking "well, that's a YV12 codec" but that didn't seem to help.

Code:
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\ac3source.dll")
MPEG2Source("ss-e12.d2v")
AC3source("ss-e12 AC3 T01 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -371ms.ac3")
BicubicResize(512,384,0,0.5, 170,4,940,716)
* I thought the problem might be that I was using VirtualDub 1.5.1, so I installed VirtualDubMod v1.4.13_2 with needed_DLLs_251102 and AviSynthLexer_0_1.zip, but when I first open vdmod, I get the License agreement, acept it and it crashes.

* Lastly, I decided to simply add ConvertToRGB32() to the (above) avisynth script, and VirtualDub 1.5.1 was able to open it just fine.

So I can't seem to work with YV12, and I don't really know why, except it seems to be the video card, or driver. I'm currently using an old nVidia RIVA TNT2 64mb card that I intend to replace in a week or so. Is there anything I should look for in a card to avoid this problem? Or is there something simple I am over looking?
Old 25th March 2003, 17:02   #6  |  Link
Wilbert

Quote:
Then I tried using AVISynth 2.51 and VirtualDub 1.5.1 to open a script (below) but got the error message "Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'YV12' (unknown)" and it goes on to say I need a Video for Windows (VFW) codec. So I tried installing MarcFD's vble video codec (beta version).zip (linked here) thinking "well, that's a YV12 codec" but that didn't seem to help.
Install DivX5 or one of the recent builds of Koepi (a stated in the AviSynth v2.5 FAQ).

Quote:
AC3source("ss-e12 AC3 T01 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -371ms.ac3")
I should warn you that this plugin downmixes to a two channel audio. Of course you can also mux the AC3 with VirtualdubMod.

Quote:
I thought the problem might be that I was using VirtualDub 1.5.1, so I installed VirtualDubMod v1.4.13_2 with needed_DLLs_251102 and AviSynthLexer_0_1.zip, but when I first open vdmod, I get the License agreement, acept it and it crashes.
Empty the plugin dir of AviSynth and try again. If that doesn't help install VirtualDubMod v1.4.13_1.

Quote:
Lastly, I decided to simply add ConvertToRGB32() to the (above) avisynth script, and VirtualDub 1.5.1 was able to open it just fine.
That's because Virtualdub 1.5.1 can't handle YV12 clips, while VirtualdubMod (in fast recompress mode) can. This is all stated in the AviSynth v2.5 FAQ.
Wilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2003, 18:43   #7  |  Link
trbarry

Quote:
* When I use DVD2AVIT3 to open a set of .TS files, I get an error saying "You video card cannot handle YUV display. Conversion will work, but you will not get any display in YUV mode". I click OK and it crashes. Note: The error message does say "You video card..." instead of "Your..." in case you feel like correcting grammar ;]
It's a limitation of your video card but it doesn't really matter if you are using MPEG2DECx. Try the following:

1) Delete your DVD2AVI.ini file.

2) Bring up DVD2AVI but change to RGB. This is ignored by MPEG2DEC3 anyway but affects the preview display. Exit again without opening any files. This will save a new default DVD2AVI.ini file.

3) Put the correct PID's in the DVD2AVI.ini file and try opening your files again.

That message spelling has been there since the beginning but I'll try again to remember to fix it.

- Tom
Old 25th March 2003, 19:13   #8  |  Link
Entropy512

Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry
It's a limitation of your video card but it doesn't really matter if you are using MPEG2DECx. Try the following:

1) Delete your DVD2AVI.ini file.

2) Bring up DVD2AVI but change to RGB. This is ignored by MPEG2DEC3 anyway but affects the preview display. Exit again without opening any files. This will save a new default DVD2AVI.ini file.

3) Put the correct PID's in the DVD2AVI.ini file and try opening your files again.

That message spelling has been there since the beginning but I'll try again to remember to fix it.

- Tom
Sometimes a partially corrupted input file can also cause this.

I've received this error message, even though 90% of the time I don't get it, on certain files I will get it 100% of the time. Usually those files are ones that I give up on transcoding eventually. (When decoding from VOBs created with HDTVtoMPEG2, the AC3 audio stops prematurely, when directly importing the transport stream, the decoder will crash at some point in the transcode process, even after using the GraphEdit cleanup trick used in the AVSForum WM9 encoding guides.)
Entropy512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2003, 01:53   #9  |  Link
trbarry

I've tried a number of tricks for problem .tp files but usually these days I'll just delete the darn things unless I really want it.

But if HDTV2mpeg runs into any problems at all I recommend not bothering to try the output but instead immediately switch to a different method. It is disheartening to get all the way through encoding and then find the audio is not fixable for some reason.

I've gotten so paranoid about break-ups that I mostly record only in the background and not use the computer for anything else until it's over.

Another useful trick in DVD2AVI is to skip the first minute or so if it's a commercial. Do this by hitting the "[" key at the right location. Some (all) HDTV cards cause a couple more break-ups at the beginning as they start recording.

Back when I was using a Hipix card I often would start the recording a minute early just so I could have something to throw away.

- Tom
Old 26th March 2003, 14:44   #10  |  Link
Entropy512

Quote:
Originally posted by trbarry
I've tried a number of tricks for problem .tp files but usually these days I'll just delete the darn things unless I really want it.

But if HDTV2mpeg runs into any problems at all I recommend not bothering to try the output but instead immediately switch to a different method. It is disheartening to get all the way through encoding and then find the audio is not fixable for some reason.

I've gotten so paranoid about break-ups that I mostly record only in the background and not use the computer for anything else until it's over.

Another useful trick in DVD2AVI is to skip the first minute or so if it's a commercial. Do this by hitting the "[" key at the right location. Some (all) HDTV cards cause a couple more break-ups at the beginning as they start recording.

Back when I was using a Hipix card I often would start the recording a minute early just so I could have something to throw away.

- Tom
Thanks for the tips. I typically delete the files after 2-3 failures, but I've been getting more aggressive about it as time goes by and I know more about what almost always works and what never seems to work.

In my case, I think one of the only solutions will be a bigger antenna. Something I need to work on anyway.
Entropy512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2003, 12:12   #11  |  Link
FreQi

It seems my problems with YV12 were fixed by installing a new version of XviD, and the new version of VirtualDubMod. I no longer get any error messages or program crashes, so I've been working on getting this under way for the last couple hours. I have most of a step-by-step done, however I haven't actually encoded anything yet because I kind of got stuck, and it's bed time. But here is what I have done so far (pls forgive spelling and grammar, this was a "quick" write up).

How To get HiPix Transport Streams into VirtualDubMod via AVISynth

Apps used in this guide:
- HiPix DTV-200 v3.5.2 Release Candidate 1 (AVS Forum Version)
- HDTV2Mpeg2 v1.09
- DVD2AVIT3 v1.83 (modified ver of DVD2AVI v1.76 for Transport Streams)
- AC3Filter v0.66b
- Nic's 2003-Mar-16 build of XviD
- VirtualDubMod v1.4.13.2v2 +vd-dll's, Lexer 0.1, DLLs_260303, modified AviSynth 2.5.1 (all extracted to the same dir)
- Donald Graft's Decomb.dll v4.06 beta 6
- AviSynth v2.5.1
- MarcFD's MPEG2Dec3 v1.00

Step 1: Record some DTV

- Use the HiPix software from AVS Forum to tune/record some tv

- Take note of the Resolution and Frame Rate it records in. You'll need to know this later on.

- The HiPix is the only card I have, but I believe anything that makes .TS files will work with the rest of this guide as well.

Step 2: Find your PID numbers

- Start HDTV2Mpeg2 and open your recorded .TS files

- Select the Channel you want from the drop down (This really only matters if the source you recorded from multicats content)

- See what the Video PID and Audio PID's are

- Close HDTV2Mpeg2 (do not do any converting)

Step 3: Create a D2V project file and Demux the AC3 audio

- Before you start DVD2AVIT3, make sure your dvd2avi.ini file has the video and audio PID's set to the same thing you found in HDTV2Mpeg2. It should look like one of the following lines:
MPEG2_Transport_PID=11,14
MPEG2_Transport_PID=21,24
MPEG2_Transport_PID=31,34

- Start DVD2AVIT3 and open your .TS files

- Set the following options in the menus (some may be the defaults)
* Video -> Field Operation -> None
* Audio -> Track Number -> Don't process Audio
* Audio -> Channel Format -> Auto Select
* Audio -> Dolby Digital -> Demux All Tracks
* Audio -> MPEG Audio -> Demux

- Save the project file by pressing F4 (File -> Save Project)

- Watch the Statistics Window until it finishes.
Note: If DVD2AVIT3 looses focus, it seems to halt processing

Before you do the next step, make sure you have a version of XviD installed that supports YV12 (I used Nic's from 2003-Mar-16). To hear the AC3 you demuxed, you'll want to install AC3Filter so you can play it in media player. Also make sure you have VirtualDubMod and all the DLL packs/etc to get that working. Make sure you have AVISynth 2.5.1 (or newer) installed with the YV12 version of Decomb.dll and MPEG2Dec3.dll in it's plugin dir. You'll also want to put the following in with VDMod's Templates dir:

Code:
----- Begin: hdtv-1280x720-59.940fps.avst -----
#ASYNTHER HDTV 1280x720 59.940fps

# This template will take a source with a res of 1280x720 at a
# frame rate of 59.940fps and perform IVTC to get 23.976fps and
# resize it to 640x352.  Other Resize options are below.

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\MPEG2Dec3.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\Decomb.dll")

[MPEG2Source("%f")]

Telecide()
SelectEven()
Decimate(cycle=5)

# When Source AR is 1.778:1 -- 16:9 Wide-Ssreen
Crop(4,4,-4,-4)
#Resized AR 1.800:1 with 170,240 pixels
#BicubicResize(576,320, 0, 0.5)
#Resized AR 1.818:1 with 225,280 pixels
BicubicResize(640,352, 0, 0.5)

# When Source AR is 2.4:1 (Theatrical/Panavision Wide-Screen)
#Crop(?,?,?,?)
#Resized AR 2.437:1 with 159,744 pixels
#BicubicResize(624,256, 0, 0.5)
#Resized AR 2.350:1 with 174,080 pixels
#BicubicResize(640,272, 0, 0.5)
#Resized AR 2.5:1 with 163,840 pixels
#BicubicResize(640,256, 0, 0.5)

# When Source AR is 1.333:1 -- 4:3 Full-Screen
#Crop(?,?,?,?)
#Resized AR 1.333:1 with 163,840 pixels
#BicubicResize(512,384,0,0.5)
----- End: hdtv-1280x720-59.940fps.avst -----

Step 4: Trim unwanted footage

- Start VirtualDubMod

- File -> Open video file via AviSynth...

- Select the Template that is appropriate for the material you recorded. For me, ABC broadcasts have a resolution of 1280x720 at 59.940fps, so I'd select that template (the one listed above).

- Scroll through the video to see if you like the cropping/resizing.

- Make any changes you may need by using the Script editor (under the Tools menu or just hit Ctrl-E)

- Once you're happy with the Crop/Resize, it's time to add your audio.
* Go to AVI -> Audio -> Interleaving. Under "Audio skew correction" enter the value that is in the name of the AC3 File that DVD2AVIT3 demuxed. It's the number between DELAY and ms.ac3 (ex: for "mwnk AC3 T01 3_2ch 384Kbps DELAY -327ms.ac3" you'd put in -327)
* Go to AVI -> Audio -> AC3 Audio. Select the AC3 file. Also make sure Direct Stream Copy is selected.

- Now use the slider and "Selection Start/End" buttons to delete the frames you do not want (Commercials/etc).

- SAFTEY FIRST: Now Save your processing settings, in case something breaks. Just go to File -> Save Processing Settings

Step 5: Audio Treatment

- There are so many things you can do with the audio, but for now, I'm just going to convert it to a VBR MP3. Possibly a better alternative would be to downsample the AC3 to make the file smaller, but I don't know enough about AC3 yet. Mabe in an updated guide...

- Now save your "edited" audio by going to AVI -> Demux audio...

Right about there is where I got stuck. I have very little know-how when it comes to dealing with AC3 audio at this point. I tried opening up BeSweetGUI but I'm in no condition to try figuring out what all thoe options are right now. I'd like to know how to do a few things at this point:

1) How can I make my AC3 a WAV so I can open in Audacity and amplify/clean it, then encode with RazorLAME.

2) How do I go from AC3 -> Normalized -> VBR MP3 using LAME's --r3mix switch(es)? I admit I haven't looked much, but I didn't see a way to add a profile to BeSweetGUI (so tired...)

3) How can I go from AC3 -> Normalized -> Downsampled AC3?

Anyway, I'm interested in your take on the steps I've taken so far.

Last edited by FreQi; 27th March 2003 at 12:21.
Old 27th March 2003, 15:31   #12  |  Link
jrmann1999

You forgot one important tool.
BeSplitv0.82.zip
This utility allows you to "fix" the AC3 stream if you have CRC or sync errors.
jrmann1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2003, 16:31   #13  |  Link
trbarry

FreQi -

Great write-up.

I can't help you much with the audio since I just keep the ac3 anyway. But in your template, for 720p source I think you can remove the Telecide() line since it probably doesn't do anything for 720p except take time.

- Tom
Old 27th March 2003, 21:12   #14  |  Link
FreQi

Ak, you're right. I didn't even think about the fact it was progressive scan. I've posted an updated template below. Being new to VDMod templates, is my used of "LoadPlugin" appropriate? I was looking at the sample templates and the plugins seem to be used there, but are not specified. I looked in the VDMod FAQ and the AVISynthesizer home page but didn't see anything about it.

Code:
----- Begin: hdtv-1280x720p-59.940fps.avst -----
#ASYNTHER HDTV 1280x720p @ 59.940fps
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\MPEG2Dec3.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\Decomb.dll")

[MPEG2Source("%f")]

SelectEven()        # reduce frame rate to ~30fps
Decimate(cycle=5)   # reduce framerate to ~24fps

# When Source AR is 1.778:1 -- 16:9 Wide-Ssreen
Crop(4,4,-4,-4)     # take 4 pixels of left, top, right, bottom
#Resized AR 1.800:1 with 170,240 pixels
#BicubicResize(576,320, 0, 0.5)
#Resized AR 1.818:1 with 225,280 pixels
BicubicResize(640,352, 0, 0.5)

# When Source AR is 2.4:1 (Theatrical/Panavision Wide-Screen)
#Crop(?,?,?,?)
#Resized AR 2.437:1 with 159,744 pixels
#BicubicResize(624,256, 0, 0.5)
#Resized AR 2.350:1 with 174,080 pixels
#BicubicResize(640,272, 0, 0.5)
#Resized AR 2.5:1 with 163,840 pixels
#BicubicResize(640,256, 0, 0.5)

# When Source AR is 1.333:1 -- 4:3 Full-Screen
#Crop(?,?,?,?)
#Resized AR 1.333:1 with 163,840 pixels
#BicubicResize(512,384,0,0.5)
----- End: hdtv-1280x720-59.940fps.avst -----
I also started writing one for 1920x1080i, but until I actually play with it, I'll keep it to myself to avoid confusion.

There's already a software update to the above guide. It looks like Graft updated Decomb.dll last night, so I'm now using 4.06 Beta 7.

@trbarry
There's one thing about DVD2AVI that has been bothering me. Maybe you have the tools to do something about it. I noticed that when I open files, the "File List" window is not resizeable. It doesn't even add scroll bars. And when I click ADD I can not select multiple files (like you can with HDTV2Mpeg2). When my files are in 2 sub directories and have names like "[2003-03-22 11.35pm] She Spies.0000.ts" it is impossible to tell what files are being loaded and in what order. The only way around it is to rename the dirs and files. Can this be changed?
Old 27th March 2003, 23:23   #15  |  Link
trbarry

Quote:
Being new to VDMod templates, is my used of "LoadPlugin" appropriate? I was looking at the sample templates and the plugins seem to be used there, but are not specified.
You can specify path names for testing but if they are in that default plugin folder they will be found anyway, starting with Avisynth 2.x (?). So as long as you have run the install then you don't need those lines. And that isn't anything specific to Virtualdubmod, it's true for all filters.

Quote:
There's one thing about DVD2AVI that has been bothering me. Maybe you have the tools to do something about it. I noticed that when I open files, the "File List" window is not resizeable. It doesn't even add scroll bars. And when I click ADD I can not select multiple files (like you can with HDTV2Mpeg2). When my files are in 2 sub directories and have names like "[2003-03-22 11.35pm] She Spies.0000.ts" it is impossible to tell what files are being loaded and in what order. The only way around it is to rename the dirs and files. Can this be changed?
I've been lazy about that, but probably won't fix it that way. The trick is that DVD2AVI (all of them) will get up to 10 sequential file names if you just select one of them. But there is a bug that it doesn't do it properly for files that don't have a 3 letter file type. So I've been renaming mine to "trp". I'll fix that part shortly, along with coming up with a default of mpeg2 & HDTV files.

I don't really consider that DVD2AVI pgm mine and don't work on it much but occasionally someone sends me a fix or something irratates me enough that I go change it. But it's all in Sourceforge (and source in my zip) if anyone wants to have at it.

- Tom
Old 30th March 2003, 08:33   #16  |  Link
trbarry

DVD2AVI2 v 1.83.5

See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49866

I corrected that spelling error.

Also made the file list box bigger, corrected handling of 2 char file types, and the occasionally huge audio delay.

www.trbarry.com/DVD2AVIT3.zip

- Tom
Old 1st April 2003, 21:17   #17  |  Link
jrmann1999

I can thank you wholeheartedly. For once I didn't have a -12349812ms audio delay and I muxed within 1 minute of finishing a transcode. Thanks for all your help.
jrmann1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2003, 08:36   #18  |  Link
FreQi

I haven't had much of a chance to play with the new version, but I did get to use it on two encodes, and I have to say it's nice being able to load the .ts files now without renaming all 40 files (although I do still need to rename the directory to fit the full name in the box).

Thank you!
Old 25th April 2003, 03:26   #19  |  Link
Mikename

to clean the audio I use a command line utility called ac3fix to get rid of the silent errors that seem to seep into all my feeds. Then I just use Headac3he to dump it to a wave, do whatever you want in audacity, then razor lame it to mp3.
Mikename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2003, 10:19   #20  |  Link
Enrico Ng

thanks for the guide.
I just started with HDTV so I don't know much.
Everything worked great except for the audio sync. It seemed alittle off when I viewed the .tp file, but after typing in the delay that DVD2AVI told me, it was even more off.

Enrico Ng is offline   Reply With Quote