Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 15th February 2023, 09:23   #1  |  Link
WSC4

Replace a VOB in a VIDEO_TS folder

Replace a VOB in a VIDEO_TS folder

These are the files in a VIDEO_TS generated folder:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VIDEO_TS.VOB
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO
VTS_01_0.VOB
VTS_01_1.VOB

X.VOB

I have tried to replace VTS_01_1.VOB with another DVD compliant video (X.VOB) with exactly the same specs but a different bitrate. I have used PgcEdit, ifoEdit and VobBlanker form various methods from posters found on this forum.

At first, I deleted VTS_01_1.VOB, copied in X.VOB and renamed X.VOB to VTS_01_1.VOB. I then tried those programs to fix the VTS_01_0.IFO to the new VTS_01_1.VOB.

When I open the VIDEO_TS folder with either MPC-HC, VLC Media Player, PotPlayer and others and navigate to the menu and play, the video will play for about 10 seconds and then freeze causing the players to shutdown. There is no time displayed in the player and the seeking bar does not move, but flashes on and off. It is like the PTS and DTS in the video time base is all wrong.

What is the correct way to do this please?

Last edited by WSC4; 15th February 2023 at 22:09.
WSC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2023, 07:12   #2  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

I would suggest to demux/remux.
Demux: SmartRipper, PGCDemux
Remux: MuxMan, DVDLabPro (1 or 2)
Old 20th February 2023, 09:14   #3  |  Link
WSC4

Thanks for your help here and suggesting those programs.

I ran SmartRipper to see what it does. I do not need it as the VIDEO_TS folder is already on my hard drive. I then ran PGCDemux with the path to VIDEO_TS and an output folder. It would not demux the VTS_01_1.VOB. I tried all setting in it.

What setting do I need to check? I was expecting something like VTS_01_1.m2v and VTS_01_1.ac3 in the output folder.
Old 20th February 2023, 22:22   #4  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Smart Ripper:
You rip your just ripped folder from HDD again.
This time to demux:
Use the folder symbol. Mode Movie.
Tab "Input" choose your PGC.
Tab Stream processing "Enable stream processing"
Tick for every stream "Demux to Extra File"

PGC Demux: You specify the .ifo you are interested in, and tick all boxes except "Create a PGC VOB"
Old 23rd February 2023, 01:52   #5  |  Link
WSC4

OK. In SmartRipper I have done as you instructed and double checked settings. It worked and produces these files in a directory I nominated:

vts_01.d2v
vts_01.idx
vts_01.lst
vts_01_([0xE0]_Video).lst
vts_01_([0xE0]_Video_PAL_720x576)_1.m2v
vts_01_0.ifo
vts_01_1.vob
vts_01_INFO.txt

The video "vts_01_([0xE0]_Video_PAL_720x576)_1.m2v" is the original VTS_01_1.VOB file without audio. This looks OK.

The above file "vts_01_1.vob" is now the extracted audio from the original VTS_01_1.VOB file. Why is it called that? I would have thought it should be vts_01_1.lpcm

I ran PgcDemux and select the output from SmartRipper and vts_01_1.ifo

I also notice in the original VIDEO_TS folder - VTS_01_0.VOB - SmartRipper did not copy it. That is the main menu and titleset menu. Is this normal that it was not copied?
Old 23rd February 2023, 16:41   #6  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Smart Ripper: Tick each stream.
Now Mark the 1st stream and choose "demux to extra file".
Now Mark the 2nd stream and choose "demux to extra file".
Now Mark the 3rd stream and choose "demux to extra file".

If any stream is left unticked, the resulting vob will still contain that stream.
Once you stripped all streams the remaining vob should only have NAV packs left.

Smart Ripper "Movie Mode" indeed does not look for menu vobs, only VTS PGCs.
Old 26th February 2023, 04:06   #7  |  Link
WSC4

I got it all wrong at first, I'm sorry. I was using the programs incorrectly and ended up with heaps of errors. I just need to check my understanding is now this:

To demux, I have a choice of SmartRipper or PgcDemux.
To Remux, I have a choice of MuxMan or DVD-Lab Pro.

Last edited by WSC4; 23rd March 2023 at 02:09. Reason: Needed to cut antiquated, irrelevant and incorrect procedures
Old 2nd March 2023, 02:51   #8  |  Link
WSC4

PgcEdit

I did not study it enough at first, but this program corrected everything and was able to replace the original VTS_01_1.VOB with X.VOB. In fact, it can replace or import/add any VTST title in the VIDEO_TS structure.

I had to author X.VOB via DVDAuthor to get VTS_01_0.IFO and VTS_01_1.VOB in a nominated folder.

In PgcEdit, File, Open DVD the original VIDEO_TS folder. Shown is a list of titles like Title 1, Title 2 et cetera. Click a title and "Replace VTST Titles". Select the VTS IFO file with the title to import from the DVDAuthor folder. VTS_01_0.IFO for example.

You can use either MuxMan, mplex/DVDAuthor combo or DVD-lab to get a VTS_01_0.IFO and VTS_01_1.VOB in a nominated folder also.

When I open the VIDEO_TS folder now with either MPC-HC, VLC Media Player, PotPlayer and others, navigating through the menus is still correct and titles play 100% correctly.

Last edited by WSC4; 24th March 2023 at 09:29. Reason: The post was not correct