Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old Yesterday, 18:30   #24721  |  Link
lvqcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy_cake View Post
Is my understanding correct that: LAV Video D3D11 hardware acceleration could work to accelerate decoding of HEVC on older GPUs which don't natively support HEVC decoding?
No, it's absolutely incorrect. Basically, D3D11 is a new programming interface to the same old hardware decoding blocks.

D3D11 can't do anything if your video card doesn't have hardware blocks to decode HEVC.
lvqcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 23:20   #24722  |  Link
strumf666

win11, MPC-BE, lav filter and madvr; using latest nightly, D3D11 seems to be broken with latest amd drivers on 5700xt, dxva2 cb or software works. I tried playing a 1080p and 2160p with HDR .mkv but it immediately pauses/black screen.
strumf666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:48   #24723  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy_cake View Post
Hello

Is my understanding correct that: LAV Video D3D11 hardware acceleration could work to accelerate decoding of HEVC on older GPUs which don't natively support HEVC decoding?

I am trying to get accelerated HEVC decoding on an old R9 380 which doesn't support it natively.

Thanks
no. it's one of many ways to access the hardware decoder not to accelerate unsupport formats.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:46   #24724  |  Link
flossy_cake

Thanks. In that case I might look into a new GPU which can decode HEVC.

I wonder though if it's possible in theory to implement the decoder in OpenCL which is supported by all GPUs. It wouldn't be as efficient as having the hardware decoding blocks, but maybe it could still exploit the parallelism of the GPU to achieve some acceleration that would make 4k HEVC playable?
flossy_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter