Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 29th March 2022, 22:16   #1  |  Link
chandersson

Atmos finally decoded in both PC/Mac

Read all about it here:

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/immer...d-macos-r1092/

Thoughts, ideas, improvements..?
chandersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2022, 23:37   #2  |  Link
tebasuna51

Very interesting, but in your link:

"Purchase a license for the Dolby Media Encoder ($400 /yr). The Dolby Media Encoder comes with the Dolby Reference Player. The Dolby Reference Player is the app that's needed"

Maybe if free soft can do the same.
Old 30th March 2022, 00:35   #3  |  Link
chandersson

Yes, the Dolby software is needed at present. But it's a one time purchase. "Subscribing" yearly is optional.
$400 is fine by me. Compare that to the cost of a competent AVP or AVR.

But of course, if any free soft can do the same, great!

That's why I posted here...
chandersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2022, 13:07   #4  |  Link
tebasuna51

There are a free soft Cavernize

But the method suggested here with the Dolby Reference Player don't work for me:
Quote:
drp.exe Nat71.mlp --audio-out-file nat71_at.wav --out-ch-config 5.1.2 --truehddec-presentation 8
11:02:09.187 [ERROR] drp.cli.CommandLine: selecting parameter 'audio-out-file' with 'out-ch-config' other than 2.0, 3.1, 5.1, 7.1 is forbidden
The same for eac3.

If only can output 2D sound, like can do ffmpeg, is usseless for me.
Do you know a way to obtain at least a --out-ch-config 5.1.2 (3D) at least?
Old 16th September 2022, 10:02   #5  |  Link
Balling

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
There are a free soft Cavernize

But the method suggested here with the Dolby Reference Player don't work for me:

The same for eac3.

If only can output 2D sound, like can do ffmpeg, is usseless for me.
Do you know a way to obtain at least a --out-ch-config 5.1.2 (3D) at least?
Are you serious? You need to use GUI??? Then you can decode to RAW objects with XML that shows how tracks should move in 3D or 9.1.6/5.1.2/whatever render https://github.com/VoidXH/Cavern/fil....0-windows.zip

Last edited by Balling; 27th September 2022 at 12:22.
Balling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2022, 10:43   #6  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balling View Post
Are you serious?
Yes.

There are other thread to speak about Cavernize, I only answer to chandersson question: "But of course, if any free soft can do the same, great!"

Here I say than drp.exe (Dolby Reference Player command line decoder) can't output 3D audio, only 2D 2.0, 3.1, 5.1, 7.1, like can do ffmpeg, then it is useless for Atmos decode to 5.1.2 than I need to recode to EAC3 (L R C LFE Ls Rs Vhl Vhr).

I don't know how can output audio files with the GUI asociated to DRP.
If you know how do it please explain me.
Old 20th September 2022, 09:12   #7  |  Link
Balling

Okay, I will rephrase that. "Are you serious? You need to use GUI." See? It was not a question. To get object extraction you need to use CavernGUI to ADM. To get render you need to use PCM, not ADM PCM, and that will allow to select what render do you want.
Old 20th September 2022, 11:20   #8  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Okay, I will rephrase that. "Are you serious? You need to use GUI." See? It was not a question.
It is a unimportant irony.

Quote:
To get object extraction you need to use CavernGUI to ADM. To get render you need to use PCM, not ADM PCM, and that will allow to select what render do you want.
Please I ask for help about GUI of Dolby Reference Player, to talk about Cavernize there are other thread.

Last edited by tebasuna51; 20th September 2022 at 12:41. Reason: typo
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2022, 12:03   #9  |  Link
Balling

Oh sorry, I didn't see that drp.exe obviously referes to Dolby reference player.
Old 22nd September 2022, 01:01   #10  |  Link
kurkosdr

Golf clap to all the people out there uploading Atmos-only MKV files without an AC3 of AAC-LC compatibility stream... they are the reason Atmos decoders for PCs and SmartTVs are even needed, and they are instrumental in helping Dolby set up a toll-booth for everyone wanting to make an MKV player, filling Dolby's coffers in the process. They are the same people who filled DTS Inc's pockets with their DTS-only MKV files. And yes, I know that a decoder for Atmos exists in ffmpeg, but it can't be distributed everywhere due to patent issues.

Save for those Atmos-only MKV files, nobody should really need a Atmos decoder: Streaming services will only serve it if your setup supports it, and Blu-Ray discs must contain an AC3 compatibility track that non-Atmos users can decode. In plain English, with the exception of those MKV files, Atmos is something that's meant to be bitstreamed to a relevant home cinema system, not decoded.

PS: I hate those H.264 MKV files with the fire of a thousand suns. The only real-world reason they exist is to sidestep the MP4 requirement for an AAC-LC compatibility track. A requirement which is there to make MP4 files universally compatible. Even if a player "supports" MKV, there is no guarantee it can play a particular file, and those Atmos-only MKV files are the real-world proof for it. Sorry for the mini-rant, but I wanted to get this out of my system.

Last edited by kurkosdr; 22nd September 2022 at 02:33.
kurkosdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2022, 22:23   #11  |  Link
tebasuna51

I found a way to record the sound played by the Dolby Reference Player GUI.

- With an AVR conected by HDMI to PC, a audio editor, the free Audacity can work, configure the Host like WASAPI and the Recorder Device to the AVR (loopback). See first image.

- Open the GUI and configure it like the image 2, for a (image 3) output configuration L R C LFE Ls Rs Ltf Rtf or the desired, load the Atmos and Play

- In Audacity record the sound (maby you need stop and replay in the GUI to record fine the begining). I finish with a wav 7.1 24 bits (the last 2 channels are the TFL and TFR)

PROBLEM: the decoded time is the same than the duration. But at least can be used to compare to Cavernize or other Atmos decoder.
Attached Images

Old 24th September 2022, 19:49   #12  |  Link
spoRv

@tebasuna51:
a (maybe stupid) question: is it possible to play any Atmos track (TrueHD or E-AC3) simply using whatever player (MPC, VLC etc) and Dolby Atmos for home theater (thanks to Dolby Access), and then record it via Audacity as you have written in your previous post?
spoRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2022, 11:02   #13  |  Link
tebasuna51

@spoRv
I can't/wan't install Dolby Access in my PC's.
I don't know if MPC/VLC can use the installed filters.

It is also a not free solution with the same problem (record time).

You can try and inform here.
Old 26th September 2022, 04:40   #14  |  Link
Balling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurkosdr View Post
Golf clap to all the people out there uploading Atmos-only MKV files without an AC3 of AAC-LC compatibility stream... they are the reason Atmos decoders for PCs and SmartTVs are even needed, and they are instrumental in helping Dolby set up a toll-booth for everyone wanting to make an MKV player, filling Dolby's coffers in the process. They are the same people who filled DTS Inc's pockets with their DTS-only MKV files. And yes, I know that a decoder for Atmos exists in ffmpeg, but it can't be distributed everywhere due to patent issues.

Save for those Atmos-only MKV files, nobody should really need a Atmos decoder: Streaming services will only serve it if your setup supports it, and Blu-Ray discs must contain an AC3 compatibility track that non-Atmos users can decode. In plain English, with the exception of those MKV files, Atmos is something that's meant to be bitstreamed to a relevant home cinema system, not decoded.

PS: I hate those H.264 MKV files with the fire of a thousand suns. The only real-world reason they exist is to sidestep the MP4 requirement for an AAC-LC compatibility track. A requirement which is there to make MP4 files universally compatible. Even if a player "supports" MKV, there is no guarantee it can play a particular file, and those Atmos-only MKV files are the real-world proof for it. Sorry for the mini-rant, but I wanted to get this out of my system.
There is AC3 compatibility stream in every EAC3 file if it is from a Blu-ray disk. Only Tidal stuff and Netflix, apple, Disney+ does not have it.
Old 26th September 2022, 04:42   #15  |  Link
Balling

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoRv View Post
@tebasuna51:
a (maybe stupid) question: is it possible to play any Atmos track (TrueHD or E-AC3) simply using whatever player (MPC, VLC etc) and Dolby Atmos for home theater (thanks to Dolby Access), and then record it via Audacity as you have written in your previous post?
How are going to record HDMI cable (for MAT 2.0) or LG C9's internal audio track with Audacity? I mean you can root it and try to install Audacity on its Android... But it is kinda nuts.

Dolby Access does not decode Atmos, LOL. What? It sends it to a decoder in TV or AVR. And if you are talking about Headphones... Well, that is binuaral, i.e. just stereo. It does decode Atmos but just to stereo.

Last edited by Balling; 26th September 2022 at 04:48.
Old 26th September 2022, 04:55   #16  |  Link
Balling

Why are you using any AVR? Just use ASIO or VAC. BTW, can you compare this fix, please: https://github.com/VoidXH/Cavern/issues/14

Last edited by Balling; 26th September 2022 at 05:43.
Old 26th September 2022, 09:09   #17  |  Link
spoRv

Quote:
Dolby Access does not decode Atmos, LOL. What? It sends it to a decoder in TV or AVR.
Right, indeed mine was a stupid question, after all...
spoRv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2022, 10:16   #18  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
How are going to record HDMI cable (for MAT 2.0) or LG C9's internal audio track with Audacity?
Quote:
Why are you using any AVR? Just use ASIO or VAC.
I need a AVR capable to receive PCM 8 Channels conected to PC by HDMI, only now, an only with host WASAPI, I can record the 8 PCM channels by the device AVR (loopback). See the first image.

With other options I obtain only 2.0

But you can try other methods of course.

Quote:
BTW, can you compare this fix, please: https://github.com/VoidXH/Cavern/issues/14
I see big differences between the last 4 channels (SL,SR,TFL,TFR) of Dolby Reference Player output and Cavernize output but I need make more test.

With Cavernize we can define the speakers position (good option) but not with DRP, maybe the Cavernize default position is different than DRP and the mix matrix between ADM and the wav 5.1.2 (for me) is also different.

Last edited by tebasuna51; 26th September 2022 at 10:31. Reason: add info
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2022, 18:44   #19  |  Link
Balling

Last 4 channels are what are fixed there. Is DRP.exe output having all channels the same amplitude? Cause CavernGUI does after the fix.
Old 26th September 2022, 22:54   #20  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

I'm late to the party but I do have a question.
So, I'm currently on Fedora 36 x64 and I can't play E-AC3 streams.
To test this, I went to this reference player suggested by Derek (Blue_Misfit): Link, I pasted the following stream https://dash.akamaized.net/dash264/T...48_768_ddp.mpd and I clicked "Load".
Needless to say, it was completely silent both on Chrome 106 and in Firefox 104.

I'm running Fedora 36 x64, the audio backend is Pipewire/Wireplumber, I have gstreamer1-plugin-libav-1.20.3-5.fc36.x86_64, gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-1.20.3-1.fc36.x86_64, gstreamer1-plugins-bad-free-extras-1.20.3-1.fc36.x86_64, gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld-1:1.20.3-1.fc36.x86_64, gstreamer1-plugins-good-1.20.3-1.fc36.x86_64, gstreamer1-plugins-ugly-1:1.20.3-1.fc36.x86_64 as well as ffmpeg-libs-5.0.1-3.fc36.x86_64 installed.

and yet... nothing.
Is there anything I can do to play E-AC3 streams on Linux (Fedora)?
I also tried with Chrome 106 on Android 13 (Google Pixel 6 Pro) and it's just as mute as it is on Linux...
For what it takes, I also tried on Windows XP x86 with Microsoft Updates 'till 2019 with Chromium 92 (July 2021) and K-Lite Codec Pack 13.8.4 Mega (May 2018) and of course it's just as mute as the other two...

The funny thing is that if I open the mpd stream with VLC I can totally decode it, which means that there is a decoder available for Linux, it's just not being used by Chrome nor Firefox...

Recap:

Browser: Retrozilla 2
Codec installed: K-Lite Codec Pack Full 2.69
Result: Mute

Browser: Chrome 92, Palemoon 28
Codec installed: K-Lite Codec Pack Mega 13.8.4

Browser: Chrome 106, Firefox 104
Codec installed: libav 1.20.3-5

Browser: Chrome 106
Codec installed: default

Browser: Chrome 108, Firefox 106
Codec installed: K-Lite Codec Pack Mega 17.0.5
Browser: Microsoft Edge 105
Result: Normal Playback

Last edited by FranceBB; 27th September 2022 at 11:00.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote