Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 13th April 2018, 15:33   #21  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

So, chances are good that the makefile will work with the native compiler set of either MinGW32 or MinGW64 ... maybe I try to compile it then. Despite the last change being half a year old.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2018, 15:40   #22  |  Link
colinhunt

^ I'd be interested in testing the binary if you manage to compile one.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2018, 16:12   #23  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Unfortunately I did not. There are some errors (several "enum constant in boolean context" warnings treated as errors in extlib/Eigen/src/Core/Assign.h). I may get further if I knew how to disable this strictness?!

Paste: JVET JEM rev. 595 in MinGW64

New German Gleitz board

Last edited by LigH; 13th April 2018 at 21:06.
Old 13th April 2018, 21:56   #24  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I commented out the CPPFLAGS option "-Werror" in build/linux/common/makefile.base to get the software built anyway; so expect it to break later...

JVET rev. 595 (HM-16.6-JEM-7.1) — small archive for the minimum software selection, large only for the curious

New German Gleitz board
Old 13th April 2018, 23:16   #25  |  Link
Tommy Carrot

Thanks for the build, so far it's working without any crashes. I cant say anything about the quality yet, but the encoding speed is not that bad. I mean it's very slow, but not AV1 slow.

Edit: nevermind, on a higher resolution (720p) test encoding, it's much slower in comparison, the encoding speed is around halfway between AV1 --cpu=used=0 and --cpu-used=1. The quality at low bitrate is VERY impressive though. Easily better than AV1 or XVC.

Last edited by Tommy Carrot; 14th April 2018 at 02:28.
Tommy Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2018, 12:33   #26  |  Link
iwod

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis View Post
It seems like hikvision is the only one who's shown any interest this year, and I actually know a few people there. I should reach out and see what they're working on; aside from that, the project is essentially dead. I guess improving HEVC is still the only priority for all the big research companies.
I thought they have some Demo in NAB?
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2018, 22:23   #27  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I do not even know what "NAB" means; but yes, it was reported in the thread about AOM.

New German Gleitz board
Old 14th April 2018, 22:42   #28  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

"National Association of Broadcasters", they just had their tradeshow last week where content creators and codec people like to show off.
Old 15th April 2018, 06:26   #29  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Could a moderator please fix the typos in the thread title, as I reported a few days ago?

New German Gleitz board
Old 15th April 2018, 13:08   #30  |  Link
Tommy Carrot

I've done some more tests with this codec. It's unfortunate that even if they finish the development it's probably doomed because of patents and licensing issues, because from a technical standpoint, it seems to be significantly better than AV1. It has consistently better (and more consistent) quality, in some cases by a pretty big margin.
Old 15th April 2018, 13:37   #31  |  Link
hajj_3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Carrot View Post
I've done some more tests with this codec. It's unfortunate that even if they finish the development it's probably doomed because of patents and licensing issues, because from a technical standpoint, it seems to be significantly better than AV1. It has consistently better (and more consistent) quality, in some cases by a pretty big margin.
The other big problem is that it will be ratified 2.5yrs after AV1. There will be huge numbers of phones, tablets, laptops, desktops, tvs etc with hardware decoders shipping by the time h.266 is ratified. I reckon within 1yr of h.266 is ratified that AV2 will be ratified, which will likely have 0-15% better compression than h.266.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2018, 19:33   #32  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
JVET rev. 595 (HM-16.6-JEM-7.1) — small archive for the minimum software selection, large only for the curious
Thanks!
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2018, 20:25   #33  |  Link
iwod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
The other big problem is that it will be ratified 2.5yrs after AV1. There will be huge numbers of phones, tablets, laptops, desktops, tvs etc with hardware decoders shipping by the time h.266 is ratified. I reckon within 1yr of h.266 is ratified that AV2 will be ratified, which will likely have 0-15% better compression than h.266.
Nearly 1.4 Billion of Smartphone, 150M Tablet, 250M Notebook and Desktop. 200M of TV, Camera, STB, and other consumer electronics combined per year

That is 2 Billion unit every year from Consumer Market. Excluding the professional uses.

If they only take 50 Cents / unit, that is annual $1B revenue stream. If you expect the codec to last 10 - 20 years, that is total $20 Billion return.

With No Cap. The more unit you sell the more you pay.

The software implementation should be free. I mean, the codec would now be so complex it is literally impossible to play without a top range general hardware or dedicated decoder. Along with free image format.
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 18:04   #34  |  Link
augman000

Quote:
Thanks for the build, so far it's working without any crashes. I cant say anything about the quality yet, but the encoding speed is not that bad. I mean it's very slow, but not AV1 slow.

Edit: nevermind, on a higher resolution (720p) test encoding, it's much slower in comparison, the encoding speed is around halfway between AV1 --cpu=used=0 and --cpu-used=1. The quality at low bitrate is VERY impressive though. Easily better than AV1 or XVC.
I'm going to start doing some comparative testing of my oen today.

When you say "low bitrate", are you talking 512kbps or less? Also, have you gone below 480p in your low bitrate tests?
augman000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2018, 19:17   #35  |  Link
Tommy Carrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by augman000 View Post
I'm going to start doing some comparative testing of my oen today.

When you say "low bitrate", are you talking 512kbps or less? Also, have you gone below 480p in your low bitrate tests?
On low bitrate, generally i mean around or under the size of x264 crf 30. But i tested it waaaay lower and in normal range as well, on different clips. Generally my finding is that the lower the bitrate, the larger JVET's advantage is (especially on cartoon stuff).

However, be prepared that the encoder is very slow, and cannot read y4m, only raw yuv. I only had the patience to test it on few seconds long 720p and lower res videos. But as the encoder is single-threaded, you can run a couple encodings in parallel.
Old 19th April 2018, 20:24   #36  |  Link
augman000

Quote:
On low bitrate, generally i mean around or under the size of x264 crf 30. But i tested it waaaay lower and in normal range as well, on different clips. Generally my finding is that the lower the bitrate, the larger JVET's advantage is (especially on cartoon stuff).

However, be prepared that the encoder is very slow, and cannot read y4m, only raw yuv. I only had the patience to test it on few seconds long 720p and lower res videos. But as the encoder is single-threaded, you can run a couple encodings in parallel.
Sure, I've been playing around with AV1 for quite some time now, so I've learned to be very patient.

Tried to run a quick test on lunch with no luck. Could you give me a sample vommand line syntax? I obviously overlooked or misunderstood something when I looked over the usage info.

Thanks.
Old 19th April 2018, 20:40   #37  |  Link
Tommy Carrot

Here is an example:
Code:
TAppEncoderstatic.exe -c config-samples\encoder_randomaccess_jvet10.cfg -q 25 -fr 25 -wdt 720 -hgt 288 -f 50 -i test.yuv -b jvet.bin
I encoded a 720x288 video at 25 fps, and encoded 50 frames in total. You have to set every parameter manually, the encoder is kinda dumb.

In the config file, i set the intra period to 256 frames, i think the default is too low.
Old 19th April 2018, 20:47   #38  |  Link
augman000

Quote:
Here is an example:
Code:
TAppEncoderstatic.exe -c config-samples\encoder_randomaccess_jvet10.cfg -q 25 -fr 25 -wdt 720 -hgt 288 -f 50 -i test.yuv -b jvet.bin
I encoded a 720x288 video at 25 fps, and encoded 50 frames in total. You have to set every parameter manually, the encoder is kinda dumb.

In the config file, i set the intra period to 256 frames, i think the default is too low.
Ah, I think I already see my mistake.

Yhanks for the help.
Old 30th April 2018, 15:45   #39  |  Link
hajj_3

Could a moderator rename this thread please as this codec has an official name now 'Versatile Video Coding' (VVC): http://news.itu.int/versatile-video-...arts-strongly/

Last edited by hajj_3; 1st May 2018 at 19:46.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2018, 20:32   #40  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

I wonder if a new source repo will be announced. The Fraunhofer JVEM SVN had a few updates to r599 to prepare a "transition to VTM".

New German Gleitz board