Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 3rd May 2009, 20:55   #81  |  Link
Nexin

Mulder the Jump I refer to (probably jump is not the correct word). When gui is at full screen, and then load a new video. The gui shrinks and moves elsewhere on the screen. I thought as you say it's because of the video dimensions and gui resizing. If it cannot be done, thats ok, just thought i'd ask as its unusual to see this. I see where other softwares the gui windows remains staic, when a new video is loaded. And the video dimensions are loaded to correct aspect for the video. If not possible no problem is only a cosmetic.

Have got around the OGM file i used Yamb to demultiplex the video and audio streams (where is the demultiplexer in avidemux?). So then i could process each stream individualy. Have now a transcoded xvid-avi with an mp2 audio stream video file.

For other softwares i meant the piffy ones the say they do it all (commercial softwares). Yet they do very little and many only know of the correct iso specifications for ntsc. With many of these such softwares they only allow for with xvid-avi transcoding with mp3 or wav no other options. It is why i am now using avidemux, because it has all the options, and does what i need everytime.
Nexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 21:00   #82  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexin View Post
Mulder the Jump I refer to (probably jump is not the correct word). When gui is at full screen, and then load a new video. The gui shrinks and moves elsewhere on the screen. I thought as you say it's because of the video dimensions and gui resizing. If it cannot be done, thats ok, just thought i'd ask as its unusual to see this. I see where other softwares the gui windows remains staic, when a new video is loaded. And the video dimensions are loaded to correct aspect for the video. If not possible no problem is only a cosmetic.
Yes, when you open a new video then Avidemux will leave fullscreen mode and resized the window according to the video size.

I think this is how it was intended, but you may want to file a feature request anyway
Old 3rd May 2009, 21:19   #83  |  Link
Nexin

Ok thanks O' LoRd_MuldeR i now have that bookmarked will do it later sometime soon.
Nexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 07:56   #84  |  Link
akiza

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting...
If I just wanna cutting a "packed" avi...

A. Open packed avi,unpack it,cut/edit on the fly,then save.

B. Open packed avi,unpack it,SAVE it. Open the saved avi(unpack),cut/edit it,save it

which one is the right/better way?

And Avidemux seems can't direct conver "packed" avi to "unpack" mp4.

When I opened a "packed" avi and unpack it and save a new mp4 file,I found there is "packed bitstream" data in the mp4 file...

Does it mean If I wanna conver a packed avi to a unpack bitstream mp4 I must open->unpack->save->open unpack one->save as mp4 ?

Is there any shortcut?

Last edited by akiza; 20th July 2009 at 11:49.
akiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2009, 12:48   #85  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by akiza View Post
If I just wanna cutting a "packed" avi...

A. Open packed avi,unpack it,cut/edit on the fly,then save.

B. Open packed avi,unpack it,SAVE it. Open the saved avi(unpack),cut/edit it,save it
B

Quote:
Does it mean If I wanna conver a packed avi to a unpack bitstream mp4 I must open->unpack->save->open unpack one->save as mp4 ?
"Packed bitsream" is a hack that DivX invented to circumvent certian limitations in VFW/AVI.

I don't think this exists for MP4 ...
Old 21st July 2009, 03:22   #86  |  Link
akiza

Quote:

"Packed bitsream" is a hack that DivX invented to circumvent certian limitations in VFW/AVI.

I don't think this exists for MP4 ...
for example...

1. I open a "Packed bitsream avi" via avidemux.
2. unpack bitstream
3. save to a mp4 file (via copy mode)

when I open the mp4 file via avidemux,the avidemux's FILE-INFORMATION show [Packed bitsream : Yes]

Is that a bug or that mp4 file only contain bitstream directly copy from original avi file (unpack won't work in direct copy to mp4 file-type)?

Last edited by akiza; 21st July 2009 at 09:54.
Old 21st July 2009, 12:08   #87  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

If you set the "Format" to "MP4", then Avidemux won't unpack the "packed bistream" for obvious reasons. You must select "AVI, unpack VOP" to do that

And yes, the way it is currently implemented, you can't unpack and re-mux the AVI to MP4 "on the fly". First unpack, then remux from the "unpacked" file!
Old 29th July 2009, 08:35   #88  |  Link
akiza

Maybe those SVN version could provide MD5 checksum at mirror site?

Old 29th July 2009, 13:58   #89  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Maybe those SVN version could provide MD5 checksum at mirror site?

Why? The Avidemux installers are NSIS-based and NSIS installers have their own integrity check. If the installer was corrupted, it would display an error message!

I think even the ZIP files have some kind of checksum, which should detect corrupted archives on extract...

Anyway here are your MD5 values:
Code:
Avidemux.2009-07-25.Win32.exe       = aa42f0da0ffcb91b8c728e6cb67594ff
Avidemux.2009-06-23.Win32.Final.exe = 3df40bb0abb90afed6c5f5572dd614a9
Avidemux.2009-02-07.Win32.Final.exe = e09ad0122eb3c532803df621cc501eda

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 29th July 2009 at 14:26.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2009, 03:10   #90  |  Link
akiza

Quote:
Why? The Avidemux installers are NSIS-based and NSIS installers have their own integrity check. If the installer was corrupted, it would display an error message!

Anyway here are your MD5 values:
Code:
Avidemux.2009-07-25.Win32.exe       = aa42f0da0ffcb91b8c728e6cb67594ff
Avidemux.2009-06-23.Win32.Final.exe = 3df40bb0abb90afed6c5f5572dd614a9
Avidemux.2009-02-07.Win32.Final.exe = e09ad0122eb3c532803df621cc501eda
thanks,I just think about "more confirm more safety"

~~~

I downloaded the SVN 5152 and find some strange in the x264 config window

commit af2a4ecd7bcefc97c8aa83913c9a2980206f9cd0 r1177
Author: Jason Garrett-Glaser <darkshikari@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jul 1 21:14:57 2009 -0700
Our defaults have also changed: new defaults are --subme 7 --bframes 3 --8x8dct --no-psnr --no-ssim --threads auto --ref 3 --mixed-refs --trellis 1 --weightb --crf 23 --progress.

The new "default" setting has changed since r1177.
The crf value should be 23 but SVN 5152's x264 crf default value is "26"...
Old 30th July 2009, 03:20   #91  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

The defaults for the x264 CLI (command-line) encoder have changed in r1177 indeed. But that doesn't effect Avidemux at all. It has its own default values

But I agree that the x264 dialog in Avidemux needs some updates:
* SubME=10 ("QPRD") is missing and only available in Avidemux through a patched libx264
* Psy-RDO and Psy-Trellis cannot be adjusted, because options are missing
* AQ mode 2 (aka "AutoVAQ") is missing too and again only available via patched libx264

So adjusting Avidemux' x264 dialog for the new x264 defaults is definitely not the most important thing to do.
You can always choose your preferred settings. Don't worry too much about the defaults...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 30th July 2009 at 03:28.
Old 31st July 2009, 13:11   #92  |  Link
akiza

Quote:
But I agree that the x264 dialog in Avidemux needs some updates:
* SubME=10 ("QPRD") is missing and only available in Avidemux through a patched libx264
* Psy-RDO and Psy-Trellis cannot be adjusted, because options are missing
* AQ mode 2 (aka "AutoVAQ") is missing too and again only available via patched libx264
And the "--nr"(?) filter ?

It's usefull when encoding some noisy video.
Old 31st July 2009, 13:38   #93  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
And the "--nr"(?) filter ?

It's usefull when encoding some noisy video.
It's already there. Look again, "Noise Reduction" is located on the "Analysis" tab in Avidemux' x264 dialog

Anyway, I don't recommend using that option. If you need denoising, then better use a "real" denoise filter like "hqdn3d" or "Fluxsmooth".

Last but not least I prefer keeping the noise instead of smoothing it out. x264 has very good noise retention now...
Old 3rd August 2009, 04:50   #94  |  Link
akiza

Quote:
It's already there. Look again, "Noise Reduction" is located on the "Analysis" tab in Avidemux' x264 dialog

Anyway, I don't recommend using that option. If you need denoising, then better use a "real" denoise filter like "hqdn3d" or "Fluxsmooth".

Last but not least I prefer keeping the noise instead of smoothing it out. x264 has very good noise retention now...
thanks ^^

The reason I perfer using nr filter is, using value 100~150, the filter can reduce file size about 10%~20% and keeping a lot detail.

Using HQDN3D (or other smooth filter) It still can reduce file size about 15%~25% but lossing too muvh detail @@

Is there any doc or guide about the "nr filter" ?

Old 3rd August 2009, 04:58   #95  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Other denoise filters have options to tweak the filter too. So if you think they remove too much detail, you should reduce the strength

What docs do you need about the x264 "nr" filter? There is only one parameter which controls the strength of the filter.

Even the x264 developers say that the built-in denoise filter is very simple/fast and that it never was developed to be a "high quality" denoiser.

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...16&postcount=2

And why do you want to denoise at all?

Nowadays x264 is pretty good in retaining noise. And you never can remove the noise without destroying at least some detail at the same time.

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=147394

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 3rd August 2009 at 05:04.
Old 6th August 2009, 20:10   #96  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrose View Post
hai sir how to convert dvd to avi 700mb with Avidemux2,need nice tutorials with screenshot , as i already see this http://avidemux.org/admWiki/index.php?title=DVD_to_AVI
but i could not understand sir
1. Rip your original Video-DVD (the "VIDEO_TS" structure) to your HDD. Use DVD Fab, DVD Decrypter or a similar tool.

2. Open the first VOB file that belongs to the "main" movie in Avidemux and (if Avidemux asks) agree to append the other parts (VOB files).

3. Set "Video" to "MPEG-4 ASP (Xvid)", set "Audio" to "MP3 (LAME)" and set "Format" to "AVI".

4. Click the "Configure" button right below "Video", set "Encoding Mode" to "Video Size (Two Pass)" and enter the desired target filesize (note that this is for the Video part only, audio is not included here !!!).

5. Also set "Pixel Aspect Ratio" to "As Input", then press "OK" to close the Xvid configuration dialog.

6. Goto "File" -> "Save" -> "Save Video", save to "Foobar.avi" and wait...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 6th August 2009 at 22:05.
Old 4th February 2012, 16:09   #97  |  Link
cord-factor

Quote:
Why do my MPEG-2 files get out of sync when I cut/edit them in Avidemux?

Captured MPEG files are generally from DVB S/T (in MPEG TS format) or from IVTV based cards or any other card with hardware MPEG-2 encoding (in MPEG PS format). These captures often contain transmission errors which end up as missing or broken frames! A video player (MPC, MPlayer, xine, VLC, etc.) will constantly re-sync the streams using the timing information embedded in the stream. Avidemux will not! Apart from the constant shift, which is easily recoverable using the timeshift filter, it will result in a growing synchronisation issue when encoding or transcoding. Even saving without re-encoding will be async! MythTV recordings are a prime example of this problem: The audio will be offset by approximately -330 ms at the start of the recording and the drift throughout the duration of the recording. Please note that not all MythTV recordings have this problem, just some depending on the software and hardware configuration. The only 100% reliable way to fix your MPEG-2 files is to use ProjectX. You can get ProjectX from http://project-x.sourceforge.net/, a tutorial can be found at http://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/inde...itle=Project_X.
How about transcode, I mean
Code:
tcextract -i movie.vob -t vob -x mpeg2 > movie.m2v
tcextract -i movie.vob -a 0 -x ac3 -t vob > movie.ac3
will it do the same as projectx?
Old 28th January 2021, 13:44   #98  |  Link
butterw2

Avidemux is a free multi-platform video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks.

Links:
- Code: https://github.com/mean00/avidemux2/commits/master
- Dev. versions (recommended for x64): http://www.avidemux.org/nightly/
- Releases: http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/download.html
- user Forum: https://avidemux.org/smif/index.php

Good cutter (supporting many different input formats, ex: h264 mp4) with a nice simple QT5 interface.
Supports .py project scripting and filter plugins.

Last edited by butterw2; 28th January 2021 at 16:32.
butterw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2023, 14:06   #99  |  Link
blob2500

How to activate qcomp (Quantiser Curve Compression) in Avidemux? Its section is always disabled in the latest versions, in any x264 gui configuration.
It only works with the default values: qcomp 60%; or 80% in some preset/tune.

I tried Avidemux 2.8.x vsWin64 and Win64 for windows (10) x64.
blob2500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avidemux, faq