Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Hardware players

Old 10th August 2005, 13:07   #21  |  Link
Y.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberace
I think you ment to write QPel for XviD here (see bold text above) as you already mentioned QPel for DivX.
Yeah, thanks a lot for catching that, that was a typo.

Quote:
I think you should also mention 'B-frames' there for both DivX and XviD as some old chipsets support that.
What specifically about B-frames? AFAIK all Mediateks support any number of B-Frames, whether the default 1 B-Frame in DivX 5 or the default 2 B-Frames in XviD. I'm not sure if all other Chipsets out there can handle more than one B-Frame but that is part of the reason why I specifically focused on the Mediatek in this guide: Right now it is the most feature-complete chipset. (Which might change with the new Sigmas coming out... but in time I will change and edit the guide.)

Quote:
And as for subtitles you should maybe mention VobSubs (.idx + .sub)too, most chipsets don't support that
I don't understand... VobSubs are mentioned just a few lines below.

Quote:
Slightly off-topic tip; if a XviD/DivX AVI file is stuttering in your player then chances are it hasn't been properly interleaved by the person/tool who encoded it [...]
Very good tip, I've added it to the guide.
Y.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2005, 01:15   #22  |  Link
kC_

in need of a new player to replace my old dk-339.. the sigmatek 400 looks great, checked their suport page, and is no firmwares or it... is everything fine with the firmware it ships with?

thanks for a great guide..
kC_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2005, 11:30   #23  |  Link
Y.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kC_
in need of a new player to replace my old dk-339.. the sigmatek 400 looks great, checked their suport page, and is no firmwares or it... is everything fine with the firmware it ships with?
The default firmware is fine, but I dislike the subtitle font it uses for text subtitles (I think it's Times New Roman).

I can definitely recommend upgrading to the latest XM400-2A-1207 - cHiEsA v.1.0 firmware which includes many very neat improvements and can be found here:
http://www.sigmatek-players.com/xm-4...?page=download
Upgrading is very easy, all you need to do is burn a CD. Just follow these simple instructions:
http://www.sigmatek-players.com/xm-4...grade-firmware

In case you do not like the new firmware, you can always safely downgrade to your original firmware again (which can be found on the download page linked above).
Old 11th August 2005, 11:52   #24  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
PS! A mod should make this topic thread a sticky (pin it!) as it is a very
As this section of the forum does not have a dedicated moderator, I think it will most probably be up to Doom9 to decide this.

In the meantime, I've created a link to this thread in my sticky

Cheers
Old 11th August 2005, 20:10   #25  |  Link
kC_

thanks,,, just ordered the player on pixmania.. should be here in a couple of days.. btw is this the correct firmware ? - Sigmatek-XM-400-1207-cHiEsA-v.10-UNOFFICIAL.zip

also if its "UNOFFICIAL" then why is it on sigmateks "official" ftp?
Old 12th August 2005, 11:24   #26  |  Link
Y.T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kC_
btw is this the correct firmware ? - Sigmatek-XM-400-1207-cHiEsA-v.10-UNOFFICIAL.zip
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kC_
also if its "UNOFFICIAL" then why is it on sigmateks "official" ftp?
The firmware has been modified by a user named cHiEsA, not by Sigmatek. Sigmatek bears no responsibility if something does not work/goes wrong with this firmware.
Old 12th August 2005, 18:46   #27  |  Link
kC_

yeh well aware of user modded firmwares from use with my dk-339.. just seemed stramge that the company actually host the modded versions too.. ah well.. looking forward to getting it.

thanks again for a great topic
Old 14th August 2005, 19:54   #28  |  Link
zilog jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y.T.
1. Consider the alternatives:
  • PC connected to TV via TVout - no compatibility problems whatsoever. On the other hand you have to consider the noise your PC makes and whether or not you can keep it hooked up permanently or have to fiddle around with the cables each time you want to watch a movie.
There's also serious picture quality issues, which is especially the case in Europe. Most graphics cards' TV-outs only offer composite or s-video out, though some also have component (YPbPr). However, a lot of people don't have component inputs on their TVs, and s-video inputs on European TVs isn't that common.

On the other hand, nearly all standalone DVD players sold in Europe (with the exception of most portables) have RGB outputs through SCART cables, and the majority of European TVs made in the last 20 years or so have RGB inputs (it's been mandatory for new TVs in some contries since the late 90's), which gives far superior picture quality compared to composite video, and is better than s-video too. No dot-crawl, no colour shimmering, no having to watch NTSC video in black & white - it's great! (Though please note with some players you'll have to set RGB on the setup menu or with a switch on the back)

I've never seen a PC graphics card with RGB TV-out.
zilog jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2005, 21:02   #29  |  Link
Shevvy

Hi!

I have questions about standalone players.... im wondering what the differences are between Sigmatek XM-400 Pro and Oppo DV971H/BBK DV971H is? and which has the better compatibility with different formats, because i havent heard so much about the sigmatek but it looks to have good specs and the Oppo/BBK on the other hand i have read about and its been in tests and had very good results on them.
The oppo/bbk uses a new sigma-chip and faroudja i think and the sigmateks got a mediatek chip so im wondering if someone whos better on these chips and compatibility and the overall good and bad things on these two players can help me choose the right player?

the most important things i want on my upcoming dvd is that it has to support Qpel,divx,xvid,mpg,subtitle support and Good picture (just bought a philips 26pf5520 lcd HDTV) and then of course good playability on dvds, plus Region-free of course! And of course it doesnt have to be just these two players.. but to this moment ive just found these two who looks appropriate to my needs...?

Here i have some specs about my tv and its connectivity:
http://www.consumer.philips.com/cons...CSHQNHKFSESI5P

Thanks!
/Shevvy

Last edited by Shevvy; 14th August 2005 at 21:08. Reason: typo
Shevvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2005, 21:26   #30  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Strange.... According to Oppo's own web site, the Oppo DV971H was fitted with an MediaTek MT1389xx chip-set!

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 14th August 2005 at 21:39.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2005, 14:12   #31  |  Link
Shevvy

Oh yes... im sorry .. i was confused about that chip info.. i was looking at another player with sigma chip.. hehe sorry.

but do u have any advise on which one of them are "better",the good and bad overall on sigmatek xm-400 pro and Oppo DV971h?

Thx! (:

Shevvy
Old 15th August 2005, 14:57   #32  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Personally speaking, between the two, I would go for the Oppo.... because it offers an DVI output connection (regardless of the Faroudja DCDi). And I have a display with DVI...

But that's just me
Old 15th August 2005, 18:33   #33  |  Link
Shevvy

Alright, thank you very much! =D i thought so ... my ordered lcd tv got a DVI-I.
yes, i probably will order it... the european version BBK DV971H!

can i ask which dvd player youve got?

/Shevvy
Old 15th August 2005, 19:32   #34  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevvy
can i ask which dvd player youve got?
I use a Pioneer DV-575A.... Primarily because I also use it for playing SACD and DVD-Audio!

But I've also got an Xcard, with composite, s-video and component video output connections - Which when used with other PC equipment can be used to output a digital signal via DVI.

And an ADS Media-Link, with composite, s-video and component video output connections and an DVI output connector.

Cheers
Old 15th August 2005, 19:35   #35  |  Link
freelock7
High beam

Where to order the OPPO DVD player in Europ?
freelock7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2005, 20:09   #36  |  Link
Shevvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelock7
Where to order the OPPO DVD player in Europ?
freelock7 lookie here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/wheretobuy.html

im gonna order from a swedish site.. the "BBK" (the same as OPPO but with the european name, in asia its called Winbase i think).

good luck!
Old 15th August 2005, 20:10   #37  |  Link
Shevvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital
I use a Pioneer DV-575A.... Primarily because I also use it for playing SACD and DVD-Audio!

But I've also got an Xcard, with composite, s-video and component video output connections - Which when used with other PC equipment can be used to output a digital signal via DVI.

And an ADS Media-Link, with composite, s-video and component video output connections and an DVI output connector.

Cheers
Thx! youve been very helpful!

sincerely Shevvyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Old 16th August 2005, 02:29   #38  |  Link
CobraX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y.T.
What specifically about B-frames? AFAIK all Mediateks support any number of B-Frames, whether the default 1 B-Frame in DivX 5 or the default 2 B-Frames in XviD. I'm not sure if all other Chipsets out there can handle more than one B-Frame but that is part of the reason why I specifically focused on the Mediatek in this guide: Right now it is the most feature-complete chipset. (Which might change with the new Sigmas coming out... but in time I will change and edit the guide.)
Why do you say that? It seems the Zoran Vaddis 776 is more feature-complete.

Supports: -
Video Decs: Mpeg4 with B-VOP (with/without packed bit-stream) /
Qpel / 1 and 3 warp-point GMC
Audio Decs: MP3 / MPA (Layers 1, 2 and 3), AC3 (Dolby® Digital), WAV / AAC-LC / WMA
Containers: .AVI & .MP4 for video (.MP3, .WAV, .AC3, .WMA & .AAC for audio)

Btw I was thinking of getting myself a hardware DivX player to replace my modded Xbox (which makes WAY TOO MUCH noise, but on the other hand plays any DivX/XviD movie you throw at it). But it seems every chipset has its problems. And not so many players already support Nero Digital which I would like to have.
CobraX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2005, 08:32   #39  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Hi CobraX, Welcome to the forum.

The Zoran Vaddis 776 chip-set is certainly very strong and flexible. But whether its flexible enough to cope with 3 warp-point GMC properly is still debatable. And much will depend on how proactive the player manufacturer is at developing/refining this implementation!

And then there's the "type" of 3 warp-point GMC the chip-set responds too.

A few months ago some of us did some tests with Nero's and XviD's 3 warp-point GMC implementations with the Siemssen player and found that Nero's implementation worked much better than XviD's... but sadly, still not perfectly!

When I find the threads/posts where this was discussed I'll place links to them here.

In the meantime I've placed a correction in the Zoran Vaddis 776 chip-set information.

Cheers
Old 16th August 2005, 08:57   #40  |  Link
Cyberace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraX
I was thinking of getting myself a hardware DivX player to replace my modded Xbox (which makes WAY TOO MUCH noise, but on the other hand plays any DivX/XviD movie you throw at it).
Why not just replace the fan with a low rpm (silent) 8mm fan (it not as hard as you might think)? and/or set down the fan-speed to 10% in XboxMediaCenter settings (which anyone can do)?

PS! My 2 cents; Xbox Media Center is better than all other standalone solutions that cannot record live TV!
Cyberace is offline   Reply With Quote