Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th March 2011, 06:18   #1  |  Link
signal
to noise

MPC and MPC HC Render issue

Well, this one has me stumped and I hope it's just something I'm overlooking.

In VLC and Microsoft Media Player these captured HDMI 720p test clips look fine.
In MPC and MPC HC they don't and I haven't been able to find any settings that help.

I'm currently using default settings with VRM9 (renderless).

Here are a couple of samples:

Original images used for captures:
1 2

Capture Played back in MPC and MPC HC:
1 2

Capture Played back in VLC and MS Media Player:
1 2

Any ideas?
signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 08:59   #2  |  Link
JanWillem32

Which version are you using and what does the stats screen report on the mixer and color formats used?
Edit: The decoder for the video streams may also play a role in this. What is reported in the Play, Filters menu for the video stream?

Last edited by JanWillem32; 6th March 2011 at 09:04.
JanWillem32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2011, 21:17   #3  |  Link
signal
to noise

Versions:
MPC 6.4.9.0
MPCHC 1.3.1249.0

Capture Hardware: Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle
Graphics: Nvidia GTX280 - driver v258.96

Codec FourCC: UYVY (packed 4:2:2) - this is blackmagic designs default for uncompressed 8-bit YUV AVI. And yes, I would love to capture straight to Huffyuv or something else but Blackmagic's capture app doesn't allow alternative codecs and vdub won't solve that atm (still looking into that).

Pin Info:
Video Renderer: http://pastebin.com/QLRsGvjp
AVI Decompressor (UYVY): http://pastebin.com/vr1anezN
Splitter:http://pastebin.com/dkn34hyd

In MPCHC Ctrl+j won't bring up the stats overlay with this avi.
I converted the avi to Huffyuv and when brought up in MPCHC I get a "The color scheme has been changed to Windows 7 Basic" and will bring up the stats (albeit now for Huffyuv which doesn't help here).
MPC itself will play the Huffyuv version without the color scheme error.
It does render ok as Huffyuv though (eg. same results as MP and VLC).

Last edited by signal; 6th March 2011 at 21:46.
Old 6th March 2011, 22:57   #4  |  Link
JanWillem32

If the stats screen doesn't show up with the EVR CP, EVR Sync or VMR-9 (renderless) rendering paths, it means that the renderer failed and the program reverted to the VMR-7 renderer as fallback (without warnings currently).
Basic MPC is ancient and MPC-HC 1.3.1249.0 is really old. The current MPC-HC version is 1.5.2.2962.
Try my build from the development folder, or janos666's build from the main thread (that one currently has some updates on the color management section). Both have recent code changes in the mixer parts that the main build line doesn't have yet. That could help with 4:2:2 chroma sub-sampled video. As far as I can see, the video itself is raw input, without a codec, so no video decoder part should loaded in the "Filters" section. (That does make some things easier.)
If you can get one of the two builds to render in EVR CP or VMR-9 (renderless) and the stats screen is called, the mixer should receive YUY2 or UYVY input. An input format in an RGB or 4:2:0 Y'CbCr format indicates distortions in the format before mixing happens, so make sure you check that item out.
Old 7th March 2011, 00:36   #5  |  Link
bobdynlan
Beyond the Corn Border

A video sample will be more relevant.
bobdynlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 01:17   #6  |  Link
signal
to noise

Tried mpc-hc_tester_dfr2962 with EVR CP.
I get the "color scheme has been changed to Windows 7 Basic" message but it is rendering with the same issues.
Here's a shot with stats shown (note: the vid in the background is another test pattern from the same avi - just had that on the screen cap in order to read the stats).

Mixer format has NV12 as input?

I'm trying to track down janos666's build.
Old 7th March 2011, 01:31   #7  |  Link
signal
to noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdynlan View Post
A video sample will be more relevant.
It would be ~300MB for 2 seconds if that's ok.
Transcoding it to another format defeats the purpose here.
Old 7th March 2011, 01:47   #8  |  Link
bobdynlan
Beyond the Corn Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by signal View Post
It would be ~300MB for 2 seconds if that's ok.
Transcoding it to another format defeats the purpose here.
Size matters only on your side. Even one second will do.
bobdynlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 08:24   #9  |  Link
signal
to noise

heh... ermmm.. forgot. It being an uncompressed avi makes it compressed archive friendly.

Here's a 6.25MB rar that uncompresses to ~315MB.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8lgont9ryq15njg
Old 7th March 2011, 09:21   #10  |  Link
JanWillem32

Thanks. Internal decoding redirects to X8R8G8B8 with me on EVR CP, VMR-9 doesn't want to render it at all.
With ffdshow tryouts enabled with the "Raw video" format on "all supported", I can re-direct the video in YUY2, UYVY, NV12 and RGB formats to the EVR mixer, VMR-9 doesn't take the two 4:2:2 formats.
I've checked the internal code, and there's indeed no support from the internal pass-trough for UYVY (and a lot of other formats) yet.

I think your settings are a bit old and messed up. That's probably what's causing rendering errors.
If you don't have any settings you want to save, just run this command while the program isn't running (with administrator rights):
REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Gabest /F
That will reset everything in the program to default.
It's possible that some settings are messing up playback in the video adapter's control panel, so that might be worth checking, too.

Edit: For those that are interested, 7-zip LZMA2 can compress that .avi to 314 kB: http://www.mediafire.com/?e7zrhgltvq9h5c1 .

Last edited by JanWillem32; 7th March 2011 at 10:17.
JanWillem32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 10:45   #11  |  Link
signal
to noise

I nuked the reg key. Didn't help.
I updated the nvidia drivers and video settings are set to "Use the video player setting" and inverse telecine unchecked.

Graphstudio renders the same problematic results and is placing a "AVI Decompressor" (UYVY to RGB32) filter between splitter and renderer.

VirtualDub is working correcting but like VLC I believe it is doing it's own thing in regards to this format.

What still confuses me is MS Media Player doing ok with this.

I have another box I can install windows from scratch on just to be sure nothing else is affecting this.
Old 7th March 2011, 11:54   #12  |  Link
JanWillem32

I can only replicate something similar when I set overscan compensation on my system.
Do you get all the lines displayed when you choose "Double Size" in "View", "Video Frame"? If it does, the mixer probably isn't at fault.

Next is the renderer. MPC-HC doesn't do or detect overscan/underscan geometry compensation. That could be a problem in your case.
1:1 pixel mapping from the player itself should always happen when you disable "Keep Aspect Ratio", "Correct Monitor/Desktop AR Diff" and choose "Normal Size" in "View", "Video Frame". You can check that with the regular print screen button on your keyboard and pasting that image into an image editor. (The internal screenshot function of MPC-HC still needs some work.)
An easy one to try is in the options screen, you can select a different scaling method under playback, output. The PS types are generally very reliable in not reverting to point sampling, but can't do anything about system-wide scaling of course.
Old 7th March 2011, 23:24   #13  |  Link
namaiki

signal, have you set Windows to 'large fonts'?
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 11:55   #14  |  Link
signal
to noise

Egads.. It's the Blackmagic Drivers for the Intensity Shuttle themselves.

After successfully playing back the sample vid on several other boxes I started getting this box in question back to basics.
I removed the BM drivers and viola it's fine.
Re-install, issue is back.
This is with or without a Intensity Shuttle connected.

Now how they interfere is really crazy.
I've torn apart their driver install to see exactly what they are installing and tried various graphedit combinations and can't see where they jump in and mess this up.

In graphstudio the graph construction and events report are identical with/without the bm drivers installed yet render differently.

It's obviously not a MPC or MPC HC configuration issue at this point.

If anybody wants to try this and (hopefully) see what I'm seeing you can load the BM drivers without usb 3.0 or the intensity shuttle itself. They at least uninstall cleanly.
Edit - you don't need the full driver install

Here are 32bit and 64bit versions of the codec.
You can regsvr32 register/unregister through an Administrator Command Prompt to see the issue.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z BM794Codec.7z (190.2 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by signal; 8th March 2011 at 12:21.
Old 8th March 2011, 12:21   #15  |  Link
namaiki

I can reproduce. The BM driver seems to also not allow overlay mixer to load when it is selected as video renderer in MPC-HC.

If ffdshow raw video filter is put before the video renderer, the video does not become distorted.

edit: I edited something.. what I wrote before seemed to make sense, but then I came across different results.

Last edited by namaiki; 8th March 2011 at 13:17.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 12:53   #16  |  Link
signal
to noise

Awesome... thank you!
I'm not crazy then.

And of course the explanation is simple, it registers itself with FourCC of uyvy (along with r210 and v210).
Removing just the BM version causes MPC to work again.

On the other hand, removing the MS vidc.uyvy (msyuv.dll) causes it to still work in MPC and MS Media player.
Seems odd.. was just trying to see which version (if at all) MS Media Player was using all along.
Old 8th March 2011, 13:20   #17  |  Link
JanWillem32

An x64 Windows edition will have msyuv.dll in both x86 and x64 versions. The x64 edition is in the System32 folder, the x86 version is in the SysWOW64 folder.
To get rid of the registrations of a codec, you generally have to remove it from 6 different registry keys. (Been there, done that...)
Glad that this wasn't caused by MPC-HC. I will add a pass-trough mode for the rarer Y'CbCr modes in the internal Base Video Filter. I already modified it quite a bit to better handle NV12 lately, anyway.