Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 18th May 2008, 02:14   #1  |  Link
chappy16775

AutoMKV - Settings Poll

Can we have a poll of what settings people use to convert their DVD's to H.264 using AutoMKV? There are too many choices for me to decide and I'd like to see what others tend to use.

Thanks
chappy16775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 06:03   #2  |  Link
unskinnyboy

That'd be a useless poll with a bazillion options, because there are a bazillion permutation and combination of settings you can use when doing such a conversion. It all depends upon your source and your needs. You'd get better replies if you were to ask specific questions regarding specific settings, than to ask a generic question like this.
Old 18th May 2008, 16:49   #3  |  Link
chappy16775

Then which AutoMKV profile are people using to convert DVD's to H.264?

I'm really trying to warm to the program but I'm tempted to use Handbrake as it seems far easier.

I want my DVD's on my high-spec HTPC at about 2-4gb per movie depending on length.

I use MPC to playback (with FFDSHOW).

Last edited by chappy16775; 19th May 2008 at 02:47.
Old 18th May 2008, 18:29   #4  |  Link
Nightshiver
Quality Freak

You have to experiment. There is no profile that works for every different source every time.
Nightshiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2008, 20:07   #5  |  Link
DarkZell666
aka XaS

H.264, right, but for viewing on what hardware ?

Is it for your computer only ? Or do you actually need to be able to play those files on your standalone player, PS3, PSP, "MP4 player from <godknowswhatbrand>", iPod, or anything else ?

For PC playback, you can use any settings that meet your quality/filesize requirements. For specific hardware compatibility, you'll have to choose some options carefuly, but I think AutoMKV has profiles you can use to make your choice easier (been a long time I haven't used it, so any regular AutoMKV user might confirm this).

Q9300 OC @ 3.2ghz / Asus P5E3 / 4GB PC10600 / Geforce 8600 GTS
DarkZell666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 12:23   #6  |  Link
zacoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy16775 View Post
Then which AutoMKV profile are people using to convert DVD's to H.264?

I'm really trying to warm to the program but I'm tempted to use Handbrake as it seems far easier.

I want my DVD's on my high-spec HTPC at about 2-4gb per movie depending on length.

I use MPC to playback (with FFDSHOW).
If you are looking for an easy starting point then use AutoMKV 0.96beta7 (with beta 12 exe update), select constant quality profile with Quatitizer of 18, original or autocrop for your width and your preferred audio & subtitle settings. You don't need to get your hands dirty in advanced settings or profiles straight away. You can adjust the quantitizer as needed from there to suit your preference (lower quat = better quality = larger file sizes) although too much lower and you'll have trouble picking the quality improvement but will definitely see the filesize increase

I recommend the beta as it preserves your aspect ratio if you select original width (no cropping), without you having to do anything special.

Personally I suggest the constant quality profile as simply basing your output size on the length of the movie can be misleading. Some movies compress better without noticeable loss of quality than others (and it may not always be the ones you think).

You'll find once your comfortable, and particularly if you keep an eye on the AutoMKV thread, reading what others are doing, you'll likely want to try out a few of the advanced options or filters. As unskinnyboy said, some specific questions can be answered to help you along the way.

Last edited by zacoz; 19th May 2008 at 12:32.
Old 19th May 2008, 15:16   #7  |  Link
chappy16775

Much appreciated. Thanks....