Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 3rd September 2023, 13:08   #121  |  Link
doobre

highlight of the brief synopsis

Hi Lowpro.. can you explain to me, in simple terms, how you get the highlight of the brief episodic synopsis in your menus, for example, the 'virginian' series (screenshot attached)..?
cheers CD

P.S. if it's all handled by BDedit, that's way too techie for me, so don't waste your own time trying to explain that process. CD
Attached Images

Last edited by doobre; 4th September 2023 at 09:28. Reason: added PS
doobre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2023, 02:40   #122  |  Link
Lowpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobre View Post
Hi Lowpro. Can you explain to me in simple terms how you get the highlight of the brief episode synopsis in your menus, for example, 'The Virginian' series?

P.S. If it's all handled by BDedit that's way too techie for me, so don't waste your own time trying to explain that process.
Hi Doobre. Yes, BDedit is involved. I create the menu buttons in Photoshop saving them as PNG's. I then process the PNG's through PNG Quantizer which generates a copy of the images that are compliant with HDMV based Blu-ray's. From there I import the PNG's to the menu using BDedit.

Last edited by Lowpro; 14th September 2023 at 03:55.
Lowpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2023, 18:39   #123  |  Link
Lowpro

Star Trek: Picard - The Final Season (2023)

I'm watching an episode or two of this TV series at present via my front projector and 150" 1.78:1 projector screen. When watching this I'm masking my projector screen down to the 2.39:1 aspect ratio of the presentation using physical masking. As a result, the lower portion of the menus are obscured by the masking. To prevent that from happening I decided to have some fun and re-author each disc. Using Photoshop, PNG Quantizer and BDedit I recreated the menus, each disc now offering a 1.78:1 layout and a 2.39:1 layout. Along the way I made a number of improvements to the menus in both form and function. End result shown below for Disc 2.

1.78:1 (PLAY ALL EPISODES)

(Click on the preview image above to view the full size image.)

2.39:1 (PLAY ALL EPISODES)

1.78:1 (EPISODES)

2.39:1 (EPISODES)

1.78:1 (EPISODES\COMMENTARY SUBTITLES)

2.39:1 (EPISODES\COMMENTARY SUBTITLES)

1.78:1 (AUDIO)

2.39:1 (AUDIO)

1.78:1 (SUBTITLES)

2.39:1 (SUBTITLES)

2.39:1 (MAIN MENU)

By default each disc uses the 1.78:1 layout for the TOP MENU. Navigating "DOWN" from the "PLAY ALL EPISODES" option, then pressing "OK" will change to the 2.39:1 layout and vice versa, your choice then being retained so long as the disc remains in the player, playback being able to be resumed. The TOP MENU has a video that plays in the background for those who aren't aware. The video is in 1.78:1. For the 1.78:1 layout all of the background video can be seen. For the 2.39:1 layout I included black bars above and below the 2.39:1 image area. The black bars are part of the menu and make it appear that the background video is in 2.39:1 even thought it's not. For the POPUP MENU I just went with the 2.39:1 layout. (See the last pic shown above.)

When recreating the menus I made other improvements as well. I've detailed some of the changes made below.
• There's now uniformity throughout with respects to the font spacing and alignments in addition to the positioning and padding used for all background panels.
• Page transitions improved. Initial button to be selected on target page no longer shows its "Normal" state first prior to showing its "Selected" state.
• When accessing the "EPISODES" or "EXTRAS" pages the last item played within each is selected by default, otherwise the first item is selected. This includes whichever episode might have been playing from the "PLAY ALL EPISODES" option last. When accessing the "EPISODES" page prior only a particular episode was selected by default if it was the last thing played from the "EPISODES" page. Once leaving, then returning to the "EPISODES" page the first item was always the one selected at that point. For the "EXTRAS" page the first item was always selected by default.
• Navigating "UP" from the topmost item on a given page wraps around to the bottommost item. The items on the "EPISODES\COMMENTARY SUBTITLES" pages wrap around in both directions. Prior navigating "UP" from the topmost item on a given page did nothing.
• When activating an item from the "AUDIO" page you're only taken to the "SUBTITLES" page if the item activated was already showing as the current audio selection.
• When activating an item from the "SUBTITLES" page you're only taken to the "PLAY ALL EPISODES" option if the item activated was already showing as the current subtitle selection.
• Activating an item from the "AUDIO" and "SUBTITLES" pages of the POPUP MENU works just as it does for the TOP MENU. In the case of the "SUBTITLES" page however, activating an item that's already showing as the current subtitle selection turns the POPUP MENU off.
• Button and page tracking added to POPUP MENU. The current state of the POPUP MENU is retained now when turning the POPUP MENU off, then back on again. Prior when enabling the POPUP MENU you were always taken to the "MAIN MENU" button.
• Chapters added to "EXTRAS" content. Prior there were no chapter stops.
• Proper resume functionality added to the "PLAY ALL EPISODES", "EPISODES" and "EXTRAS" options of the TOP MENU. If an item can be resumed a prompt is displayed, the options given to "START FROM BEGINNING" or "RESUME WHERE YOU LEFT OFF". See the post after this one to learn more.
• Proper resume functionality added to the "EPISODES" option of the POPUP MENU. Prior selecting the current episode would result in the POPUP MENU being turned off. The resume prompt is now displayed instead, the options given to "START FROM BEGINNING" or "CONTINUE PLAYING". See the post after this one to learn more.
POPUP MENU added to playlists for "DELETED SCENES" and "EXTRAS" content. Prior invoking the POPUP MENU function during playback of these items did nothing. The only way to return to the TOP MENU or episode you were watching prior was to skip to the last chapter or invoke the TOP MENU function using the Blu-ray player remote. The POPUP MENU added in this case includes no graphics. When invoking the POPUP MENU function you're immediately taken back where you came from, i.e. to the TOP MENU or back to the episode you were watching, playback resuming. If the given "DELETED SCENES" or "EXTRAS" item hadn't finished playing yet and you're taken back to the TOP MENU you're then able to resume playback of the given item if so desired.

Last edited by Lowpro; 5th November 2023 at 20:30.
Old 5th November 2023, 18:40   #124  |  Link
Lowpro

Continued from previous post...

Here's an update on my re-authoring of "Star Trek: Picard - The Final Season" Blu-ray release for those interested. I decided today to add proper resume functionality. The original menus did include the ability to resume playback, but with some limitations. If playback was invoked using the "PLAY ALL EPISODES" option, playback would then resume if possible via the "PLAY ALL EPISODES" option only. If playback was invoked from the "EPISODES" page, playback would then resume if possible via the "EPISODES" page only. Starting playback from the beginning for an item that could be resumed was not possible. On a brighter note, when actively watching an episode and selecting a "Deleted Scenes" item from the POPUP MENU, playback of the episode would resume automatically once the bonus feature finished playing. Most excellent! Playing a "Deleted Scene" or "Featurette" from the TOP MENU would prevent the ability to resume playback of a given episode once returning to the TOP MENU however. Not so excellent.

That being said, I decided to have some fun and add proper resume functionality. If playback of a given item can be resumed a prompt is now displayed providing for starting from the beginning or resuming where you left off. The resume prompt applies to the "PLAY ALL EPISODES", "EPISODES" and "EXTRAS" menu options. This includes all the "Deleted Scenes" and "Audio Commentary" selections under the "EPISODES" menu option as well.

When selecting the "PLAY ALL EPISODES" option playback starts from the beginning if none of the episodes can be resumed. If an episode can be resumed the resume prompt is given. This is even the case if playback of the given episode was invoked using the "EPISODES" menu option. Resuming playback of the given episode via the "PLAY ALL EPISODES" option instead at that point turns the "PLAY ALL" flag on. Playback resumes where you left off and continues through the end of the last episode on the disc.

The same is true in the reverse case. I invoke playback using the "PLAY ALL EPISODES" option. I return to the TOP MENU prior to the first of the episodes finishing playing for example. From there I access the same episode via the "EPISODES" option. The resume prompt is then given. I choose to resume playback. The "PLAY ALL" flag is turned off in this case. Once the episode finishes playing I'm taken back to the TOP MENU.

A separate selection is included on the "EPISODES" page if a given episode includes audio commentary. Prior the selections were isolated from each other. That's no longer the case. If the given episode can be resumed the resume prompt is given, irrespective of which selection was used to initiate playback originally. Based on your selection the episode can be played from the beginning or from where you left off, with or without audio commentary. When resumed from the "PLAY ALL EPISODES" option the primary audio track is always used.

Playback of a given bonus feature from the TOP MENU does still clear the prior resume point, so it's not possible to resume playback of a given episode after having watched a bonus feature. It's actually possible to retain the ability to do that, but it would be too difficult to integrate using the current navigation command structure that's in place. It would be easy to implement if I re-authored each Blu-ray from scratch, but for now the updated resume functionality more than gets the job done.

So here's some eye candy of the updated resume functionality, pics of the resume prompt when invoked from the "PLAY ALL EPISODES", "EPISODES" and "EXTRAS" menu options. It integrates quite nicely with the current menu layout I think. I especially like what I did when the resume prompt is displayed via the "PLAY ALL EPISODES" option, the episode in question being called out based on your selection.

1.78:1 (PLAY ALL EPISODES\RESUME WHERE YOU LEFT OFF)

2.39:1 (PLAY ALL EPISODES\RESUME WHERE YOU LEFT OFF)

1.78:1 (PLAY ALL EPISODES\START FROM BEGINNING)

2.39:1 (PLAY ALL EPISODES\START FROM BEGINNING)

1.78:1 (EPISODES\RESUME)

2.39:1 (EPISODES\RESUME)

1.78:1 (EXRAS\RESUME)

2.39:1 (EXTRAS\RESUME)

The resume prompt has been integrated with the "EPISODES" page of the POPUP MENU as well. Prior selecting the current episode would result in the POPUP MENU being turned off. Playback continued rather than starting over from the beginning. Now you're given the choice. When selecting the current episode the resume prompt is always displayed, the options given to "START FROM BEGINNING" or "CONTINUE PLAYING".

The "CONTINUE PLAYING" option comes in especially handy with episodes that include audio commentary as it provides for selecting a given "COMMENTARY SUBTITLES" option after playback has already begun and being able to continue playback rather than having the episode start over from the beginning. The "CONTINUE PLAYING" option also provides for changing between the episode selections without or with audio commentary without having to start over from the beginning.

Let's say I selected the episode option that doesn't include audio commentary. I decide during playback that I want to turn the audio commentary on, but not start the episode over from the beginning. No problem. I select the episode option that includes audio commentary. The "COMMENTARY SUBTITLES" option is then displayed. I make my selection after which the resume prompt is displayed. I select the "CONTINUE PLAYING" option. The audio commentary track is enabled in addition to the commentary subtitle track if one was selected, the POPUP MENU then turning off. (If a primary subtitle option was enabled prior that remains to be the case when selecting the "COMMENTARY SUBTITLES\NONE" option.)

The same is true in the reverse case. After some time I decide to turn the audio commentary off. I select the episode option that doesn't include audio commentary. The resume prompt is displayed. I select the "CONTINUE PLAYING" option. The primary audio and subtitle selections in use previously are restored, the POPUP MENU being turned off. Are we having fun yet! And here's some eye candy of the resume prompt for the POPUP MENU.

2.39:1 (POPUP\EPISODES\RESUME)

Last edited by Lowpro; 6th November 2023 at 12:21.
Old 5th November 2023, 18:49   #125  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Wow. Nice work. Having fun reading that.
Old 6th November 2023, 09:24   #126  |  Link
varekai

@Lowpro
Absolutely excellent, that is the work of a true professional!!
Incredibly well done, the aesthetics are wonderful!
Wish I had the same knowledge of working with BD-RB and the other software you use...
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2023, 13:19   #127  |  Link
Lowpro

Thanks for the kind words. It was a lot of fun taking the original Blu-ray's and making them my own. The most enjoyable part for me in this case was studying the original Blu-ray structure, determining all the variables used (GRPs), what each variable was used for, then following the navigation command structure so that I understood how everything flowed. It's like solving a puzzle which is something I've always enjoyed. With a clear picture of the original Blu-ray structure I was then able to improve how certain things were implemented which then gave me the freedom to more efficiently implement all the improvements I wanted to make including the use of new menu graphics throughout. Fortunately in this case the authoring software used for the original discs provided for following the raw structure without much difficulty. Had I not been able to follow the raw structure I would have just re-authored the discs from scratch. Re-authoring the discs from scratch would have taken far less time but again, I enjoy the puzzle solving aspect so working with the core structure as a starting point was worth the extra time spent.

Last edited by Lowpro; 6th November 2023 at 13:34.
Old 6th November 2023, 19:38   #128  |  Link
Lowpro

Changing between menu layouts...

Here's a little inside baseball on how I implemented the multiple menu layouts for the Star Trek Blu-ray's. When accessing the TOP MENU you're always taken to Page 0 BOG 0 initially. Page 0 for each retail Blu-ray consisted of BOG 0 only, the BOG set to "Activate" automatically. When activated the navigation commands of the BOG determined which page and button you'd be taken to based on the last episode played if any. The page breakdown for Disc 3 is provided below.

Page 0: Redirect to page and button based on last episode played.
Page 1: PLAY ALL EPISODES | EPISODES | AUDIO | SUBTITLES | EXTRAS
Page 2: EPISODES (Episode and Deleted Scenes selection.)
Page 3: COMMENTARY SUBTITLES (An extension of Page 2 in the event the audio commentary for the series finale is selected.)
Page 4: AUDIO
Page 5: SUBTITLES
Page 6: EXTRAS

(My version of Page 0 redirects you to the page and button based on the last playlist played, not the last episode played. Well, the playlists used for the episodes, deleted scenes and extras content.)

I used Pages 1-6 for the 2.39:1 menu layout. Once completing my work on the 2.39:1 menu layout I copied and pasted Pages 1-6 creating Pages 7-12 which I used for the 1.78:1 layout. Once creating Pages 7-12 I updated any navigation commands on those pages so that any page references called out Pages 7-12 rather than Pages 1-6. I also removed the BOG's used for the black bars, changed the objects used for the area above and below the main menu options as the spacing was different, then updated the placement of all BOGs. At that point I had 2 self-contained menu layouts, Pages 1-6 (2.39:1) and Pages 7-12 (1.78:1).

To switch between menu layouts I decided to use an Easter Egg of sorts. Navigating "DOWN" from the "PLAY ALL EPISODES" menu option takes you to a hidden button. Navigating "UP" from the hidden button in turn takes you back to the "PLAY ALL EPISODES" button. Pressing "OK" while the hidden button is "Selected" results in the menu layout changing. Screenshots from BDedit provided below showing what that looks like.

Navigating "DOWN" from Page 1 BOG 1 shown above takes you to BOG 6 shown below. BOG 6 is a hidden button, i.e. a button that references no objects (images) for its "Normal/Selected/Activated" states. Navigating "UP" takes you back to BOG 1. Pressing "OK" executes its navigation commands.

The variable "GPR1701" in the first navigation command shown above is used to keep track of the current menu layout, "1701" being a nod to the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701-D). The values I use for GPR1701 are 178 and 239, i.e. 1.78:1 and 2.39:1. When activating PAGE 1 BOG 6, the value of GPR1701 is set to 178 and you're taken to the 1.78:1 menu layout, i.e. Page 7 BOG 1.

The same steps are followed to switch back to the 2.39:1 menu layout. Navigating "DOWN" from PAGE 7 BOG 1 shown above takes you to BOG 6. Activating PAGE 7 BOG 6 shown below changes the value of GPR1701 to 239 and takes you back to the 2.39:1 menu layout, i.e. Page 1 BOG 1.

With the switching between menu layouts addressed I then needed to ensure the current menu layout was used when leaving, then returning to the TOP MENU. This takes us back to Page 0 BOG 0. As previously mentioned, each retail Blu-ray consisted of BOG 0 only, the BOG set to activate automatically. When activated the navigation commands of the BOG determined which page and button you'd be taken to based on the last episode played if any. To ensure the current menu layout is used I created a switch basically. See below.

Page 0 BOG 0 shown above contains 5 navigation commands and is set to "Activate" automatically, i.e. "a.act=Yes". The current menu layout in use is determined by the value of the "GPR1701". If GPR1701 equals 178 you're taken to Page 0 BOG 2. Page 0 BOG 2 is set to "Activate" automatically and redirects you to the page and button within the 1.78:1 menu layout based on the last playlist played. If GPR1701 equals 239 you're taken to Page 0 BOG 1. Page 0 BOG 1 is set to "Activate" automatically and redirects you to the page and button within the 2.39:1 menu layout based on the last playlist played. If GPR1701 doesn't equal 178 or 239 you're taken to Page 0 BOG 2, i.e. the 1.78:1 menu layout is used by default.

And in case anyone was wondering, Pages 13-18 shown in the drop-down list above are used for the "Resume" feature. Pages 13 (2.39:1) and 14 (1.78:1) are the pages you're taken to when playback can be resumed from the "PLAY ALL EPISODES" option. Pages 15 (2.39:1) and 16 (1.78:1) are the pages you're taken to when playback can be resumed from the "EPISODES" or "COMMENTARY SUBTITLES" pages. Pages 17 (2.39:1) and 18 (1.78:1) are the pages you're taken to when playback can be resumed from the "EXTRAS" page.

Last edited by Lowpro; 6th November 2023 at 21:40.
Old 23rd November 2023, 09:18   #129  |  Link
Lowpro

CHiPs: The Complete First Season (1977-1978)

I just finished cataloging and authoring the TV series, "CHiPs" to Blu-ray. Pics of the Blu-ray menus (...the TOP MENU) provided below in addition to links to my online profiles for each season. I included a POPUP MENU as well which is identical to the TOP MENU minus the menu background of course, the backdrops for the POPUP MENU set to 65% opacity versus 100% opacity. In any event, just thought I'd share. Enjoy checking it all out. :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowpro | CHiPs: The Complete Series (1977-1982)

As seen from My Movies for Windows Media Center...

(Click on the image above to view my online profile for this title.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowpro | CHiPs: The Complete First Season (1977)

EPISODES:

(Additional Pics: Disc 2, Disc 3 | Navigating "Up" from the topmost item wraps around to the bottommost item and vice versa.)

SETUP:

(Navigating "RIGHT" at any time takes you to the "SETUP" page. Navigating "UP/DOWN" provides for selecting a given option. Pressing "OK" toggles the selected option, "ON/OFF". Navigating "LEFT" from the "SETUP" page takes you back to the page you had come from, i.e. the "EPISODES" page or "RESUME" page.)

RESUME:

(If playback can be resumed the "Resume" prompt is always given. In the above scenario I had returned to the TOP MENU during playback of "Episode 1". I then selected "Episode 3", the "Resume" prompt providing for starting playback of "Episode 3" from the beginning or resuming playback of "Episode 1".)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowpro | CHiPs: The Complete Second Season (1978)

EPISODES:

(Additional Pics: Disc 2, Disc 3 | Navigating "Up" from the topmost item wraps around to the bottommost item and vice versa.)

RESUME:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowpro | CHiPs: The Complete Third Season (1979)

EPISODES:

RESUME:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowpro | CHiPs: The Complete Fourth Season (1980)

EPISODES:

RESUME:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowpro | CHiPs: The Complete Fifth Season (1981)

EPISODES:

RESUME:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowpro | CHiPs: The Sixth and Final Season (1982)

EPISODES:

RESUME:

Last edited by Lowpro; 26th November 2023 at 19:11.
Old 25th November 2023, 02:54   #130  |  Link
Lowpro

Continued from prior post...

I decided to update the "RESUME" and "SETUP" pages for my "CHiPs" Blu-ray's prior to burning to BD-R. Thought I'd share the end result with everyone.

The "RESUME" page prior consisted of white text on a black background which was partly transparent. I've since spiced things up a bit adding more color and placing the text against its own backdrop which in turn sits on the black background I had in place prior. Example provided below. (See my prior post for updated pics of the "Resume" page for Seasons 2-6.)

RESUME:

(If playback can be resumed the "Resume" prompt is always given. In the above scenario I had returned to the TOP MENU during playback of "Episode 1". I then selected "Episode 3", the "Resume" prompt providing for starting playback of "Episode 3" from the beginning or resuming playback of "Episode 1".)

For the "SETUP" page I added a tooltip of sorts which calls out the area of the page where the setup options are located in addition to providing details on the current selections. Examples provided below.

SETUP (PLAY ALL: OFF | SUBTITLES: ON)

(Navigating "RIGHT" at any time takes you to the "SETUP" page. Navigating "UP/DOWN" provides for selecting a given option. Pressing "OK" toggles the selected option, "ON/OFF". Navigating "LEFT" from the "SETUP" page takes you back to the page you had come from, i.e. the "EPISODES" page or "RESUME" page.)

SETUP (PLAY ALL: ON | SUBTITLES: OFF)

And here's what the "SETUP" page looks like for Seasons 2-6.

Last edited by Lowpro; 28th November 2023 at 04:10.
Old 3rd February 2024, 00:41   #131  |  Link
Lowpro

Moonlighting (1984-1989)

I authored this TV series to Blu-ray this week. Thought I'd share some eye candy with everyone. Pics of the TOP MENUS shown below.

Moonlighting: Season One

Moonlighting: Season Two

Moonlighting: Season Three

Moonlighting: Season Four

Moonlighting: Season Five

The "SETUP" option includes a "PLAY ALL" and "SUBTITLES" option. I additionally included a "RESUME" prompt. See my prior post for examples of what the "SETUP" and "RESUME" pages look like. POPUP MENUS are included as well. The POPUP MENUS are identical to the TOP MENUS, but centered on-screen as the TV series is in 4:3 (1.33:1).

Last edited by Lowpro; 21st February 2024 at 04:51.
Old 21st February 2024, 04:36   #132  |  Link
Lowpro

The Good Doctor (2017-2023)

I just finished authored this TV series to Blu-ray. Thought I'd share some eye candy with everyone. Pics of the TOP MENUS shown below.

The Good Doctor: Season One

(Click on the preview image above to view the full size image)

The Good Doctor: Season Two

The Good Doctor: Season Three

The Good Doctor: Season Four

The Good Doctor: Season Five

The Good Doctor: Season Six

Navigating to the right at any time provides for accessing a hidden "SETUP" option. I additionally included a "RESUME" prompt. See my "CHiPs" posts a few back for examples of what the "SETUP" and "RESUME" pages look like. POPUP MENUS are included as well. The POPUP MENUS are identical to the TOP MENUS, but centered on-screen.

Last edited by Lowpro; 21st February 2024 at 04:40.