Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 8th March 2008, 23:05   #1261  |  Link
Sulik

I had a quick look at the MPC-HC source, and it definitely looks like it's not doing proper DPB management for DXVA H.264. This will screw up any non-trivial dpb reordering, ie: reference b-frames (hw will be using incorrect reference frames at best, unless it's ignoring all the dxva parameters and doing it's own reordering)
Old 8th March 2008, 23:48   #1262  |  Link
JohnLai

Quote:
Originally Posted by appyton View Post
My results:
NVIDIA 8600 GT, P Core2Duo 6420, OS: Vista 32, using EVR (not custom)

Using MPC Video Decoder
The video will still NOT show. The file will play forward, and audio can be heard, but no video. Just a black frame (Just like Avi Vahl). Changing IDC to 4.1 didnt make a difference.

Using Cyberlink H264:
720p - successful HA, with CPU < 5% each core, also direct vobsub works fine.
1080p - even after changing IDC to 4.1 and also ref 5 (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=972503), no HA, all I get is green screen.

With CoreAVC:
Everything plays, no HA ever.
Casimir666, I'm still experience the same problem exactly like appyton and avivahl except I'm on VMR9 renderless(win xp). Of course, using 3d surfaces with bilinear, other settings on the vmr untouched.
Old 9th March 2008, 03:03   #1263  |  Link
thuan

@Casimir666: May you answer my problem about early rendering of softsub?
Old 9th March 2008, 06:05   #1264  |  Link
DrNein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casimir666 View Post
Sorry i don't see what is missing from you post You are talking of the theater mode / standard display ?
I am referring primarily to dual display however it still remains that VMR7 Windowed is a good choice for XP since it is capable of both DxVA and mirroring yet it is excluded from your "rules" list. VMR9 Renderless is also capable of DxVA but not mirroring so is less practial but okay for a single display. All other renderers are essentially useless for our purposes.
Old 9th March 2008, 09:01   #1265  |  Link
Casimir666

@thuan
I haven't noticed subs delay in DXVA mode (EVR buffering should introduce this). Matmaul have added live subtitle shifting (not present in v1.1, but should be in latest _xxl)
=> F1 / F2 shift subs (without saving change in file)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNein View Post
I am referring primarily to dual display however it still remains that VMR7 Windowed is a good choice for XP since it is capable of both DxVA and mirroring yet it is excluded from your "rules" list. VMR9 Renderless is also capable of DxVA but not mirroring so is less practial but okay for a single display. All other renderers are essentially useless for our purposes.
No VRM7 didn't support DXVA. Until recently the filter have a bug in the property page, but he was lying
Old 9th March 2008, 10:36   #1266  |  Link
_xxl
ffdshow user

Quote:
I had a quick look at the MPC-HC source, and it definitely looks like it's not doing proper DPB management for DXVA H.264. This will screw up any non-trivial dpb reordering, ie: reference b-frames (hw will be using incorrect reference frames at best, unless it's ignoring all the dxva parameters and doing it's own reordering)
Please send a patch.
Old 9th March 2008, 11:17   #1267  |  Link
thuan

@Casimir666: Yeah, sub early is because of EVR buffering, is there anyway to disable it? Selecting 1 and 2 frame buffering freezes the video though whether I use DXVA or not. I can confirm that sub shifting is working fine but having to set it for every movie I watch is kinda tedious (I watch mostly anime fansubs and nowadays a lot of them have soft subs). Any chance that an auto sub delay feature will be implemented to counter this EVR buffering side effect?

Last edited by thuan; 9th March 2008 at 11:20.
Old 9th March 2008, 14:25   #1268  |  Link
arfster

Quote:
Originally Posted by appyton View Post
1080p - even after changing IDC to 4.1 and also ref 5 (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=972503), no HA, all I get is green screen.
To clarify: did you re-encode the file to ref5? The green screen is usually the result of an encode breaking L4.1 rules, and the software can't do much if the hardware doesn't support beyond that.
Old 9th March 2008, 15:30   #1269  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuan View Post
@Casimir666: Yeah, sub early is because of EVR buffering, is there anyway to disable it? Selecting 1 and 2 frame buffering freezes the video though whether I use DXVA or not. I can confirm that sub shifting is working fine but having to set it for every movie I watch is kinda tedious (I watch mostly anime fansubs and nowadays a lot of them have soft subs). Any chance that an auto sub delay feature will be implemented to counter this EVR buffering side effect?
Quote:
@thuan
I haven't noticed subs delay in DXVA mode (EVR buffering should introduce this)
Matmaul's delay functionality could internally be used to set an initial delay:
IF using EVR THEN
delay (in ms) := "EVR Buffers" / framerate * 1000;

e.g. 5 buffers and 25 fps would mean a 200 millisecond delay.
Old 9th March 2008, 16:04   #1270  |  Link
Casimir666

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Matmaul's delay functionality could internally be used to set an initial delay:
IF using EVR THEN
delay (in ms) := "EVR Buffers" / framerate * 1000;

e.g. 5 buffers and 25 fps would mean a 200 millisecond delay.
Hum not with MatMaul shift, but i think there is a solution with a modification in EVRCustom. Thuan you are right there is a shift, but really with buffer set to 5 i haven't noticed before With 15 buffers yet it's became clear
Old 9th March 2008, 16:22   #1271  |  Link
appyton

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfster View Post
To clarify: did you re-encode the file to ref5? The green screen is usually the result of an encode breaking L4.1 rules, and the software can't do much if the hardware doesn't support beyond that.
I followed the instructions in the first post of that thread on AVS.
Tool AVInaptic is still giving Ref 9!! just checked it, wonder what else I can do to change to Ref 5

Last edited by appyton; 9th March 2008 at 16:35.
Old 9th March 2008, 17:48   #1272  |  Link
3ngel

Hi,
i'm trying to enable the DXVA accelleration, but there is no way i can use it no matter what i try.

I have XP 64, HD2600, Cat 8.2, VMR9 Renderless (even with other renderers it doesn't work).

The internal MPC filter for h264 works well, but "Not Using DXVA" is always present. For VC-1, sometimes the frame get stuck or there are error like green garbled pixels.

BTW someone can help me to get DXVA working?

Thanks
Old 9th March 2008, 18:17   #1273  |  Link
molitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ngel View Post
Hi,
i'm trying to enable the DXVA accelleration, but there is no way i can use it no matter what i try.

I have XP 64, HD2600, Cat 8.2, VMR9 Renderless (even with other renderers it doesn't work).

The internal MPC filter for h264 works well, but "Not Using DXVA" is always present. For VC-1, sometimes the frame get stuck or there are error like green garbled pixels.

BTW someone can help me to get DXVA working?

Thanks
The internal MPC does not seem to have any leniency for improperly formatted h264 or VC-1 and will fail. CoreAVC has this built in so it can still play many improperly formatted h264. Would be nice if this could be done with MPC or if they could set it that if it fails to render than switch to a secondary renderer like CoreAVC.
Old 9th March 2008, 19:34   #1274  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulik View Post
yes please submit a patch for this

Could this be the reason why some dxva compliant files sometimes show macroblocking or red flashing blocks?
Old 9th March 2008, 20:47   #1275  |  Link
MatMaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
Anamorphic MPEG-4 Part-2 and Part-10 video streams encoded with aspect ratio signalling and muxed within the .MP4 (or .AVI) container, are not displayed correctly.

However, anamorphic MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video streams encoded with aspect ratio signalling and muxed within the .MP4, .MPG and .VOB containers are displayed correctly.
confirmed, this also applies for MPEG2 but it's difficult to demonstrate it because all the muxers seems to copy the AR signalling from the bitstream into the container AR flag.

actually the MPC decoders just copy the AR provided by the demuxer to the renderer, so if an AR is present in the video bitstream it is ignored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thuan View Post
Selecting 1 and 2 frame buffering freezes the video though whether I use DXVA or not.
confirmed and fixed, the values 1 and 2 are not available anymore
Old 10th March 2008, 06:32   #1276  |  Link
Pheon

I tried to play some DVDs recently, however, with the 64 bit version set to EVR custom pres, it will only play the first frame of the video and then it freezes on that frame while the audio continues and the time elapsed continues to get longer. If I fast forward or rewind I get a new frame but it still freezes at that frame if I try to resume playback. With the normal EVR and VMR9 renderless I get it to play, however subtitles do not show at all and when I rewind or fast forward the video performance seems to drop. In the filters context menu it says it's using Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Decoder. With the 32 bit version everything works fine, I get subtitles and audio with EVR custom pres. Under filters, it says it's using Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder (MD3). This is probably from Dell MediaDirect that's installed on my computer.
Old 10th March 2008, 08:38   #1277  |  Link
thuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casimir666 View Post
Hum not with MatMaul shift, but i think there is a solution with a modification in EVRCustom. Thuan you are right there is a shift, but really with buffer set to 5 i haven't noticed before With 15 buffers yet it's became clear
I notice it with three frame buffer, too. I'm too picky . Guess that's because I have done a bunch of karaoke lyrics and did some sub timing myself.
Old 10th March 2008, 11:00   #1278  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

oh cool we gonna get internal subs right on time.

coz atm I use vsfilter with a delay, and this thing is pretty buggy.....refuses to override placement, etc
Old 10th March 2008, 12:19   #1279  |  Link
molitar

Help is their no method to load DirectVobSub without breaking DXVA? If I disable DirectVobSub than DXVA works but than I have no subtitle. I thought maybe loading it in the external filter section but that failed to work too.
Old 10th March 2008, 13:44   #1280  |  Link
Lys

How can you see if the hardware acceleration is working? Just look at the HW percentage?
Closed Thread

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc