Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th January 2017, 06:40   #1  |  Link
py930828

Why do I have so many noise when using madvr?

I have some questions I wish someone can help me.

1. I don't watch anime, but I watch a lot of movies. The source I have are all blueray, so the quality are not bad; however, I see a lot of noise on every single movie, which is really annoying! These is the setting I have.
Can anyone give me some advice that what setting do you think is best for me?
py930828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 09:43   #2  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

I'd say: Check the "add grain" option, under "scaling algorithm/upscaling refinement" (you probably want that turned off). Also check the dithering algorithm, under "rendering/dither" (random dither is more "noisy").
Old 27th January 2017, 03:05   #3  |  Link
hello_hello

Is it only when using MadVR? What about other renderers?

Bluray video can be quite nosey, especially for older film transfers.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 06:12   #4  |  Link
py930828

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
Is it only when using MadVR? What about other renderers?

Bluray video can be quite nosey, especially for older film transfers.
On other renders, the color and detail are not as good as madvr, and I wouldn't say the noise increase on madvr but there is no decrease of noise at all, which it should be? The noise is obvious enough to annoy people. I don't watch old movie though, all movies I watch are after 2000. I think my question is is there a way to significantly reduce noise in madvr?
Old 27th January 2017, 06:58   #5  |  Link
hello_hello

MadVR doesn't have any noise reduction abilities that I'm aware of.

If your PC is connected to a TV or monitor with built in noise-reduction you could try enabling that, but like all noise reduction it'll probably blur a little.

You're definitely viewing the video with the levels set correctly? ie monitor/video card/MadVR all expecting the same levels, whether that's limited range or full range? Your video card hasn't got any image enhancing stuff enabled in it's control panel?
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2017, 07:25   #6  |  Link
py930828

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
MadVR doesn't have any noise reduction abilities that I'm aware of.

If your PC is connected to a TV or monitor with built in noise-reduction you could try enabling that, but like all noise reduction it'll probably blur a little.

You're definitely viewing the video with the levels set correctly? ie monitor/video card/MadVR all expecting the same levels, whether that's limited range or full range? Your video card hasn't got any image enhancing stuff enabled in it's control panel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoRd_MuldeR View Post
I'd say: Check the "add grain" option, under "scaling algorithm/upscaling refinement" (you probably want that turned off). Also check the dithering algorithm, under "rendering/dither" (random dither is more "noisy").
My pc is connected to a TV, and it's well calibrated, with a full range RGB. I turned off the noise reduction in the TV because I did some research and they said if my resource is good enough, these function will only make the video worse. I even tried these noise reduction in my TV and I don't see any difference. That's why I think I should do some change.

Another question if I may, I tried to change the those upscalling setting while the video is playing, what's weird is that I can't see any difference at all!!!! This really freak me out! in chroma upscaling, I tried switching from Nearest Neighbor, which is consider the worst algorithms, to NGU high, I can't see even a single difference, and I asked my roommate, he couldn't see any difference at all. I am wondering if that's the problem of my computer? As you can see from the picture I posted in this thread, the OSD is showing that madvr is making effect, but I just couldn't see the difference when changing the setting from madvr.
Old 27th January 2017, 07:32   #7  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
There's no denoise algo in madVR. You could try ffdshow raw video processing with some AviSynth noise reduction script.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
Hi i found a solution to my problem of a lot of noise in old remastered movies. With ffdshow + blur & NR. Applying only a little gradual denoise (set to 40) gives a good result and the loss of quality is acceptable. Of all the options I tried, I think the best way to reduce noise in old movies.

I hope that it would be useful to someone.
More related posts can be found in main madVR thread using denoise/denoising/grain etc. search string.
Old 27th January 2017, 07:54   #8  |  Link
py930828

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_OS View Post
More related posts can be found in main madVR thread using denoise/denoising/grain etc. search string.
Thank you very much man!! I will give a shot!