Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Closed Thread

Old 2nd November 2014, 11:26   #141  |  Link
frank
Banned

Get back DirectShowMVCSource() for error-free decoding

Currently ALL Intel SDK based MVC 3D decoders have a serious issue, they show blockiness in some movies.
(The Avengers after 12 sec, Pacific Rim...)
After a lot of tests: Here my results.
BD3D2MK3D can decode it properly using DirectShowMVCSource(), based on CoreAVC (used in Stereoscopic Player).
So DirectShowMVCSource() is NOT obsolete. We need it for that cases until Intel has corrected the bugs.
The only disadvantage: you have to mount the BD/ISO.
_______
Howto
The old BD3D2MK3D v0.23 includes a folder named \toolset\stereoplayer.exe\ with all necessary files.

1. Download BD3D2MK3D v0.23 (link on the first page of this thread) and paste the \stereoplayer.exe folder into \toolset of the current BD3D2MK3D installation.

Required content of \stereoplayer.exe\
avs2yuv.exe (copy of toolset)
x264.exe (copy of toolset)
DirectShowMVCSource.dll
CoreAVCDecoder.dll
MPEGSplitter.dll

2. Update CoreAVC DLLs
Download and install latest Stereoscopic Player and replace CoreAVCDecoder.dll and MPEGSplitter.dll in \stereoplayer.exe with the newer versions. You cannot use newer stf.dll for SBS and TAB anymore (crash). But it is not necessary with the scripts of BD3D2MK3D.

3. Start BD3D2MK3D and generate scripts and files.

4. Edit _ENCODE.cmd
Code:
set path=...\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\stereoplayer.exe;...\BD3D2MK3D\toolset;%path%
Remove the absolute path from avs2yuv.exe or x264.exe. Then the start goes from \stereoplayer.exe.

5. Edit _ENCODE_3D_MOVIE.avs

Code:
LoadPlugin("...\BD3D2MK3D0\toolset\stereoplayer.exe\DirectShowMVCSource.dll")

# Load main video without newer stf.dll otherwise CRASH!!!
# E = drive letter of BD/ISO, framecount = number of frames
# Example: Pacific Rim
left  = DirectShowMVCSource("E:\BDMV\STREAM\SSIF\00098.ssif", seek=false, seekzero=true, framecount=188857, decodeleft=true)
right = DirectShowMVCSource("E:\BDMV\STREAM\SSIF\00098.ssif", seek=false, seekzero=true, framecount=188857)

# For Half SBS
StackHorizontal(HorizontalReduceBy2(left), HorizontalReduceBy2(right))
6. Mount the BD to get access to ssif
The demuxed streams .x264 and .mvc cannot be used because DirectShowMVCSource() cannot read it.

7. Start x264 encoding with _ENCODE.cmd
DirectShowMVCSource() works properly but the speed is slow - about 9-14 fps (no HW acceleration).
_______

So I ask to add again the the stereoplayer.exe folder with DirectShowMVCSource.dll. Users can download Stereoscopic Player themselves for dll updates.
On the other hand you can remove the support for FRIM, based on the same Intel DLLs. DGMVCSource() worked more stable on my systems.

r0lZ, what do you think?

Last edited by frank; 2nd November 2014 at 11:47.
Old 2nd November 2014, 14:14   #142  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I have noticed the bugs in the latest versions of the Intel DLL, and it's why I have not included that versions with BD3D2MK3D. But afaik, the libmfxsw32.dll distributed with BD3D2MK3D (libmfxsw32.dll v5.14.4.28, released april 28, 2014) works fine with all movies. At least, I have never had any problem. There is one well known exception though: Pacific Rim has one or two little glitches, I don't think it's the same bug than the one you describe.

I don't think I'll add the support for DirectShowMVCSource, because it works in a very different way than the current filters based on the Intel lib. I don't want to have to handle two very different methods in the same program. Anyway, if you really want to encode with DirectShowMVCSource, you can use the old BD3D2MK3D v0.23. And if you want to use the current BD3D2MK3D, just be sure to NOT update the intel lib with the bugged version. If, for any version, you are forced to update it, for example because it is updated automatically when you install the Intel drivers, you should switch to software mode in BD3D2MK3D. (It's why I have added the Settings -> MVC Decoder -> Hardware Acceleration option in the latest versions of BD3D2MK3D.) In SW mode, the program should use the library provided with the package, and not the one installed elsewhere with the Intel drivers.

Also, I don't want to remove the FRIMSource decoder. It is also based on the Intel lib, that's right, and therefore it has the same problems than DGMVCSource, but it is very easy to use the version you prefer. By default, it's DGMVCSource, but you can change it if you wish. (For me, supporting the two Source filters is very easy, because they work almost identically, and I have just to modify the LoadPlugin and Source commands in the AVS script.)

Of course, I may change my mind if someone can demonstrate that the current methods fail anyway, even when libmfxsw32.dll v5.14.4.28 is used.

Last edited by r0lZ; 2nd November 2014 at 14:18.
Old 2nd November 2014, 18:42   #143  |  Link
frank
Banned

Maybe it's hardware dependent. I use I7 Core-i with Sandy and Ivy Bridge, no Haswell.
I have tested all updates of Intel DLLs until April 2014 - but no luck, the glitches in the movies remained there. With software decoding too.

Intel drivers of the Media SDK are not stable when transcoding to MVC 3D (FRIM). I had crashes and crashes again, often had to reboot to free memory. Then I gave up.
AFAIK professional software such as rovi TotalCode doesn't use the Media SDK and works well.

We are left with only the use of x264 -> BD3D2MK3D.
So I will test again, especially with libmfxsw32.dll v5.14.4.28.
Old 2nd November 2014, 18:56   #144  |  Link
jdobbs

Are you still having the same issue with software encoding and decoding? I've never had an issue with FRIM when using software for both.
Old 3rd November 2014, 10:57   #145  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I have tested all updates of Intel DLLs until April 2014 - but no luck, the glitches in the movies remained there. With software decoding too.
Can you describe the glitches you have noticed? In Pacific Rim, there are a few bad frames in the whole movie when using libmfxsw32.dll v5.14.4.28. Maybe there is a similar problem with The Avengers. I don't know, because I have not encoded that BD yet.

In the other hand, the problem I have noticed with most recent versions of libmfxsw32.dll is totally different. With many (or perhaps all) movies, the MVC stream cannot be properly decoded at all. All frames (except a few black frames at the beginning of the movie) are bad. And it's not small glitches near the borders, but the whole picture that is totally bad. I think we can live with the "Pacific Rim problem", because it occurs in very rare occasions, but of course, the new decoders cannot be used at all.

I don't have a suitable hardware, so I can't test the hardware library, but I know that recent versions have problems too. After a discussion via PM with an user, it seems that switching to software mode and using v5.14.4.28 is sufficient to solve them.

Of course, I still hope that Intel will fix the bugs rapidly...
Old 6th November 2014, 14:05   #146  |  Link
frank
Banned

Intel decoder bug

The pictures show the damaged location at 1:06:16 in Pacific Rim, reencoded to hTAB.
Intel software decoding (libmfxsw32.dll from BD3D2MK3D 0.54).
Hardware: Asus Notebook Intel Core I7-3517U (Ivy bridge)

Frame 95327

24 frames lost

Frame 95352
Frame 95353

Frame 95356, last damaged

The frame numbers are from reference. There are 24 lost frames (GOP) in the reencoded stream! After that point the sound is not in sync.
Sorry r0lZ, that's no glitch, that's a heavy bug in my eyes.

Very annoying is that the MVC decoder doesn't allow any seek to a location (Virtualdub) for testing. So you have to read/encode until the bad location. Very time consuming.

@jdobbs
Yes, same errors. The decoder is the culprit.
Sure, you have other hardware. I use a notebook.

Last edited by frank; 6th November 2014 at 14:38.
Old 6th November 2014, 14:28   #147  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I know that there is a problem with Pacific Rim, but afaik, it's the ONLY BD that BD3D2MK3D cannot decode properly. And during my tests, I have not noticed any audio sync problem, but I may be wrong. Anyway, I don't want to revert to the old method just for one BD (because that will require a big rewrite of the program, DirectShowMVCSource has also its pitfalls, it is much more difficult to maintain for me, and much slower for the peoples lucky enough to have the Intel hardware decoder).

BTW, I have just finished to encode The Avengers (with libmfxsw32.dll v5.14.4.28). I haven't had enough time and courage to watch it completely (I hate that stupid super-hero films!) but there is obviously no decoding problem around 0:00:12 or in the first half of the film. That confirms that libmfxsw32.dll v5.14.4.28 works usually well. The exception of Pacific Rim is strange, and difficult to understand, but that single exception is not sufficient to motive me to rewrite BD3D2MK3D completely. Sorry.
Old 7th November 2014, 12:24   #148  |  Link
mini-moose

Maybe this was brought up before so apologies in advance...

Can the tool handle merging multi discs? For example extended versions of The Hobbit 3D are spread on 2-discs.
I'd rather have them as one long video and not two separate
vids. I assume I can append with mkvmerge but I'd rather just encode those as one if there's such a possibility.

thanks
Old 7th November 2014, 13:45   #149  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

No, sorry, BD3D2MK3D cannot do that. As you have suggested, Mkvmerge's append mode is the solution. Just be sure to use exactly the same encoding parameters when you encode the two parts.
Old 8th November 2014, 11:39   #150  |  Link
CaBleman

Request regarding file name postifx; reporting a gap between the side frames

'lo there,

I'd like to ask you, r0lZ, to add an option for how to append the file name postfix, e.g. as options "space", "underline" or "dash". People have different systems to name their files and some of the postprocessing tools / media DBs etc. do not support or stumble over spaces in file names (I know that it should not be that way). I use underline "_" in all my filenames and is it is a bit annoying that I have to rename them after the final muxing with BD3D2MK3D (sometimes I forget that, too). If I'm not mistaken, your program used an underscore before - you have probably changed it in between? It if not too much effort, please think about about reverting that or putting in an option - highly appreciated!

Another thing that I have observed is a significant black gap between the two sides for one movie (Cloudy... 2), impacting the auto-regocnition of Sony TV for 3D content. After manually setting the TV to 3D it works fine, but has anybody else encountered such a gap?

Cheers,

CaBleman
Old 8th November 2014, 14:29   #151  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Adding an option to replace the spaces with a dash, an underscore or a dot should be feasible. But no, BD3D2MK3D has never used the underscore. A space is a space, and should be left as it is. We are in the 21th century, and the 8.3 file names without spaces are a thing of the past. IMO, if you have a player or TV that doesn't support the spaces in file names, you should return it to the store for malfunction! But don't worry, I'll try to do what you want. BTW, it will replace ALL spaces in the whole file name with the selected character, not just the last space before the "postfix". Is it OK?

The gaps between the two views of a movie depend of the original BD, and are not due to BD3D2MK3D. I can't remove them. And anyway, a good player should recognise the 3D format automatically with the frame-packing flag in the video stream, or with the stereoscopy option of the MKV container. They are added automatically by BD3D2MK3D anyway, and there is absolutely no need to analyse the image to discover that the file is a 3D movie. (However, I agree that that analysis may be useful for movies badly encoded with programs that do not set these options properly, as it's the case with most 3D movies posted on the internet.) Again, if your player doesn't recognise the 3D format, you should return it to the store! ;-)
Old 8th November 2014, 14:51   #152  |  Link
CaBleman

Hey r0lZ,

thx for the quick reply. The spaces can become a problem in scripting, especially with my Synology NAS; and maybe it was only on the folder level
but at some point I decided it was safest to use the Underscore throughout all file names. Yet I totally agree with you that it shouldn't have to be that way.
Thanks for offering the option, and yes, globally in the file name is fine.

The auto recognition via analysis fails on a fairly new Sony 3D TV, but the player I use is an old Popcorn Hour C200,
which does not interpret any 3D flags and may not even send this information to the TV.
That's where SBS comes in handy: the player does not need to know

I know the gap is not BD3D2MK3D's responsibility - it was just the first time for me and I wanted to know more about it... thanks again!

Bye,

CaBleman
Old 10th November 2014, 08:10   #153  |  Link
CRFOnly
x264 Addict

I just came back here to see there is a new version of the program (havent tested yet but it's a matter of time hehe).

I'm glad you fixed the 2d sup forced subtitle problem, it was the only thing i didnt liked. Now everything is perfect, even better than when i started using your software. You did an error in my nickname in the changeslog but honestly i dont care much, the important thing is its fixed and this software rock. Ima probably try it really soon and come back at you.

Keep rocking!
Old 14th November 2014, 12:53   #154  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v0.55

Here is the new version, with the possibility to replace the spaces in the file names as requested above, and a new tool to verify the MKV files (useful if you have sometimes some MKV files that are not correctly muxed due to USB problems).

Enjoy!
Quote:
# v0.55 (November 14, 2014)
# - Added the Settings -> Output File Name menu, with the possibilities to replace the spaces with another character and to specify the extension.
# - Added Tools -> Verify MKV File to verify if the specified file has been correctly muxed.
# - When converting a subtitle stream to 3D, the Depth tag is added anyway in the temp 2D XML file, even if no 3D-plane has been provided.
# - Bug fix: The Arcsoft DTS decoder was not used to convert DTS to AC3 during the main process, even when it is available.
# - Minor cosmetic changes.
Download: BD3D2MK3D.7z
Old 29th November 2014, 16:19   #155  |  Link
RipFan

Thanks a lot for all your work on this, i really appreciate

How can i change some settings like: deblock, subme, me_range, vbv-bufsize and vbv maxrate?

What can i write in: "Additional options" that can be assumed?
The "language" it's the same that we read in media info, for example?

Like this one: --deblock=1:-2:-2 --me_range=64 --subme 10 --vbv-bufsize 48000 --vbv-maxrate 40000

Since there's no options to change in x264 parameters directely, i'm asking this here to you or to someone who may help.

I'd like to be abble to change some final results like those settings above.

If there's no chance at all it's ok anyaway, this a great tool.
Congrats for all your work on this man.

Cheers.

Note: If my english is bad, i'm sorry

Last edited by RipFan; 29th November 2014 at 16:24.
Old 29th November 2014, 16:55   #156  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I really appreciate your appreciation! ;-)
And your English is not bad; don't worry. Mine is probably worse.

You can write any x264 parameter in the "additional options" field, except those that are already defined by BD3D2MK3D. You can easily discover what parameters BD3D2MK3D sets for you just by trying a conversion of a short clip without additional parameters. Load the _ENCODE.cmd file in a text editor to examine the x264 parameters that have been added automatically to the command line.

Deblock, subme and me_range are never set directly by BD3D2MK3D. You can therefore define them yourself.

The vbv-bufsize and vbv-maxrate parameters are set accordingly to your level setting. For example, if you select level 4.1, BD3D2MK3D adds automatically --vbv-bufsize 78125 --vbv-maxrate 62500 to be compatible with the selected level (assuming profile high). If you want to specify other vbv params, then you should NOT specify the level. (Use "do not force"). In that case, the level, the profile and the vbv parameters are up to you.

The preset, the encoding mode and the CRF/CQ/bitrate value are always set according to your selection.

The frame-packing is also defined, depending of the selected SBS or T&B mode.

A default qpfile is also defined, to force an I frame at the beginning of each chapter. (It's necessary to avoid problems when seeking from chapter to chapter with some players.)

Other parameters are automatically set, of course: --output and --frames. (You can overwrite --frames if you wish to encode only the beginning of the movie to do a quick test: just specify it in the additional parameters field, and BD3D2MK3D will skip its automatic setting.)

Note that you can save your default settings with Settings -> Save Settings Now. (You should not tick Save Settings on Exit, as otherwise they will be overwritten each time you change them.)

The language is not defined by an x264 setting, but by the muxing options of mkvmerge. It is automatically retrieved from the original BD. (You can change it if you wish by editing the _MUX_3D_OPTIONS.txt file.) And yes, it's the language that will be displayed by any player, or by MediaInfo. No language code is associated with the video stream (that is undefined by default).

Last edited by r0lZ; 29th November 2014 at 17:03.
Old 29th November 2014, 17:32   #157  |  Link
RipFan

Thank you for your quick response
Now i'll be able to choose some settings myself.

Thanks for all and good luck for your projects and for your life too

Best regards
Old 29th November 2014, 17:42   #158  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks.
Have fun watching 3D movies! :-)

BTW, I forgot to explain that if you tick the "BD compatible" option, a bunch of options are specified automatically. But I suppose that you don't want to encode for a BD.

Last edited by r0lZ; 29th November 2014 at 17:44.
Old 30th November 2014, 15:09   #159  |  Link
RipFan

Thanks for the additional info
Old 21st December 2014, 20:08   #160  |  Link
bottom

some minor things ...

Hi

first of all:
Thanks, it's really a fabulous software!!!

Here are some minor things i noticed:

- The subtitle resize filter is selected/displayed as "lanczos3" in the GUI,
but the log-file always says: "Resize filter: Mitchell"

- Subtitle creation:
If "Both" (IDX and SUP) and "3D first, then 2D" are selected,
the resulting batch file ("Mux3D") often didn't match the subtitle files/streams that were actually created:
(forced subtitle files were missing completely,
filenames of 2D streams were missing the "2D" string, ...)

- There seem to be updates available for some of the tools:
tsMuxeR, mkvmerge, x264
(yes I know: 'newer', doesn't always mean 'better'!)

- There are some movies, where Left and Right View seem to be swapped.
The problem is already on the BluRay itself!!!
...but can this be handled / fixed by BD3D2MK3D somehow?
(Using "FRIMDecode" and the commandline option "-swaplr"
I could manually (and laboriously) create a working SBS video stream)

Thanks again!

bottom
Closed Thread