Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd April 2017, 03:36   #43201  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

I was playing with the settings and found out cubic soft to work well with Anime, but its processing speed is quite slow for what I though it'd be.

Chroma, Upscaling and Downscaling all set to softcubic 100.
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 12:34   #43202  |  Link
cremor

Hi madshi,

Maybe you already know it, but the german magazine PC Games Hardware published an article about madVR in its new issue 05/17.
I don't like the article very much. In my opinion it spends too much text to explain some technical details which are not important, like chroma upscaling, and doesn't highlight or describe the strengths of madVR enough. It also doesn't mention NGU at all. But maybe it can still increase the popularity of madVR a bit.
cremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 22:38   #43203  |  Link
Cinemancave

I'm getting constant crashes upon starting MadVR at the moment. Everything was working just fine, then after having watched a 3D MKV the crashes started occuring upon entering fullscreen mode. Now I can't even start a video in windowed mode. This has happened to me a couple of months ago, but was fixed when I updated to latest MadVR. I've tried reinstalling to older versions, no difference. I tried older versions of MPC-HC just for the sake of it, and to no avail. If I choose another video renderer, everything is fine. But as soon as MadVR is loaded - boom =( This only seems to occur for me in Win 10, I've never had any problems in Win 7. How do I create and submit a crash report?
Cinemancave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2017, 23:28   #43204  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemancave View Post
I'm getting constant crashes upon starting MadVR at the moment. Everything was working just fine, then after having watched a 3D MKV the crashes started occuring upon entering fullscreen mode. Now I can't even start a video in windowed mode. This has happened to me a couple of months ago, but was fixed when I updated to latest MadVR. I've tried reinstalling to older versions, no difference. I tried older versions of MPC-HC just for the sake of it, and to no avail. If I choose another video renderer, everything is fine. But as soon as MadVR is loaded - boom =( This only seems to occur for me in Win 10, I've never had any problems in Win 7. How do I create and submit a crash report?
Windows and video card driver issues.

I experienced this type of error a lot back when Windows 10 was fresh and when my GPU didn't have a stable Nvidia driver.

Try reverting to an earlier video driver and disable auto update from windows.
Old 3rd April 2017, 11:57   #43205  |  Link
Cinemancave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
Windows and video card driver issues.

I experienced this type of error a lot back when Windows 10 was fresh and when my GPU didn't have a stable Nvidia driver.

Try reverting to an earlier video driver and disable auto update from windows.
Rolled back to an earlier Nvidia driver, solvet it. Thanks!
Old 3rd April 2017, 15:10   #43206  |  Link
Cinemancave

I have started testing out Kodi with MadVR and have run into some minor issues. Does anyone have any suggestions on what script to use when streaming content from "less quality sources""? Right now, I have a rule in place that divides 4K content from lower sources, so that MadVR automatically uses different upscaling methods depending on the source (i.e. 4K and <4K). But what if I stream some content from less quality sources and want MadVR to choose a third upscaling rule for those. What would be a good way of identifying these sources in order to separate them from my local high quality 720p/1080p-content? I can't use height/width rules because they are the same as for <4K. I was thinkinbg maybe filepath, but I am not sure where Kodi stores streaming data (and sorry for asking this here then, as that is more of a Kodi issue). Any suggestions?
Old 3rd April 2017, 17:47   #43207  |  Link
Asmodian

I use:
if (deintFPS<31)AND(srcWidth<=1024)AND(srcHeight<=576) "SDp30"
elseif (deintFPS<61)AND(srcWidth<=1024)AND(srcHeight<=576) "SDp60"
elseif (deintFPS<31)AND(srcWidth<=1280)AND(srcHeight<=720) "720p30"
elseif (deintFPS<31)AND(srcWidth<=1920)AND(srcHeight<=1088) "1080p30"
elseif ((deintFPS<61)AND(srcWidth<=1920)AND(srcHeight<=1088)) OR((deintFPS<31)AND(srcWidth<=4096)AND(srcHeight<=2160)) "2160p30"
else "Fast"
Old 3rd April 2017, 19:02   #43208  |  Link
Cinemancave

I may have spoken too soon regarding the crashes. It seems that the combination Nvidia-card, MadVR and 3D is totally broken, for me at least, at the moment. Both under Win 7 and Win 10. If I do a fresh driver-installation, 2D works fine. As soon as I start enabling 3D, MPC starts crashing. Especially if I enable 3D playback for 2D movies in MadVR config. Under Windows 10, I thereafter cannot play anything, 2D or 3D. Under windows 7, I can go back to playing 2D just fine. I am really at a loss here :S
Old 3rd April 2017, 22:48   #43209  |  Link
XMonarchY

Has anyone with the latest Windows Creator's Update been having dropped and repeated frames issues? I don't know whether its madVR or LAV Filter or ReClock issue, which for some reason uses CINEMA adaptation 24p on 23Hp content...
Old 4th April 2017, 02:53   #43210  |  Link
djsolidsnake86

anyone know how use smooth video project with madvr and mpc hc with k-lite codecs? i must download svp?
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 04:37   #43211  |  Link
huhn

de install these codec pack thingy. install SVP, madVR and a player.

that should be all
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 06:35   #43212  |  Link
sciman

Hello! I'm using madVR 0.91.5 + MPC-HC 1.7.10 on my laptop and i have a problem: when i start playback video first time after power up my laptop, i have about 40 dropped frames. But if I stop or pause video and play it again from the beginning everything is ok. How can i resolve this problem? Thank you in advance!
My hardware: Intel Core i5-6300HQ, 1Tb hard drive (not SSD), HD530 + GTX 960M, 8GB RAM. I think performance of my hardware must be enough, or may be i must buy SSD? I have already tried some older versions of madVR (0.89.12 and 0.91.4) and PotPlayer + madVR instead MPC-HC + madVR and option "delay playback start until render queue is full" but it doesn't help.
sciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 06:58   #43213  |  Link
huhn

if the number isn't rising in playback you can ignore it.

my guess is that it takes some time bring the iGPU up to it's boost clock. changing the power settings may help and/or give you even bigger problems.

Last edited by huhn; 4th April 2017 at 11:59.
Old 4th April 2017, 10:45   #43214  |  Link
djsolidsnake86

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
de install these codec pack thingy. install SVP, madVR and a player.

that should be all
is better use svp?
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 12:00   #43215  |  Link
huhn

compared to what?

i don't use it and i never will use it so i don't know about SVP quality.
Old 4th April 2017, 12:53   #43216  |  Link
cork_OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsolidsnake86 View Post
is better use svp?
SVP can install/update MPC-HC w/LAV and madVR, so basically you don't need another separate codec pack.
Like another frame interpolation technologies, SVP output can contain interpolation artefacts. Note that smooth motion in madVR is another thing (just frame blending AFAIK).
Old 4th April 2017, 13:21   #43217  |  Link
clsid

SVP requires ffdshow as well. The codec pack provides up-to-date versions of everything. To use SVP the only extras needed are SVP itself and AviSynth. And configure MPC-HC to use ffdshow video processor:
MPC-HC options > External Filters > Add "ffdshow video processor" and set it as prefer.

SVP does not improve quality. It only creates an artificial smoothness by creating extra frames. Those new frames can have interpolation artifacts like mentioned above, which can be ugly. Also, due to the extra frames MadVR has to do much more work, which means you may have to use lower quality resize settings. SVP also requires significant GPU resources.

If quality is most important, than using SVP might not be best idea. If smoothness is not good enough, then there are also other solutions. For example smooth motion in MadVR. Or use automatic refreshrate changing in MadVR, in combination with a custom 24Hz refreshrate (nvidia users).
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2017, 14:15   #43218  |  Link
Sunset1982

My videos starting paused, have to hit start manually to start the playback. I think I have this problem since I updated to madvr 0.91.x.

Anyone with the same problem?
Old 4th April 2017, 14:49   #43219  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

SVP can cause drivers instability for Nvidia cards and certain cards / drivers / hardware configurations.

Happened to me on 4 different setups. One of them needed windows reinstall after SVP, the other three worked fine in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemancave View Post
I may have spoken too soon regarding the crashes. It seems that the combination Nvidia-card, MadVR and 3D is totally broken, for me at least, at the moment. Both under Win 7 and Win 10. If I do a fresh driver-installation, 2D works fine. As soon as I start enabling 3D, MPC starts crashing. Especially if I enable 3D playback for 2D movies in MadVR config. Under Windows 10, I thereafter cannot play anything, 2D or 3D. Under windows 7, I can go back to playing 2D just fine. I am really at a loss here :S
Did you have SVP installed at any point? It might cause some changes that require a windows reinstall. Had this happen on one laptop - good to be wary about.

Look in madVR settings, depending on the hardware, sometimes it is good to disable Exclusive FullScreen entirely and sometimes it is good to activate certain options in there. I played a ton until the setup was stable with certain card / motherboard / vBIOS configurations.

The last safe Nvidia driver was 373.06 for the unstable configurations, but Windows decided to play the mad man and install a ton of updates, updating my Nvidia driver in the process. If you use DDU, you should be able to stop windows from updating the Nvidia driver thus gaining full stability.
Old 4th April 2017, 19:32   #43220  |  Link
digitech

for me the latest Dmitrirender is way miles ahead of SVP in terms of quality and motion way more smooth, the only cons i see is that you have to buy it to keep it
digitech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling