Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 23rd December 2021, 21:53   #19381  |  Link
gabbett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS View Post
Hi gabbett1,

I have to let you know that that is NOT how you get RipBot updates !!!

That is the 1st page of this forum, and that version / build of RipBot is very old !!

The ONLY way you can get updates is thru the program itself, when you have Auto Updates enabled, and you're connected to the "net".

The program search's for updates every time it is started.

The latest version is 1.26.1, dated 27/09/21 15:19.

There was only one significant addition with that version, and that's nearly 3 months ago.
Actually I do have 1.26.1 from the link on the first page, even though the link says 1.26.0.7.

A couple things I've noticed when trying to do the distributed encoding.

One, if I enter the IP address of the host server, it will blank out the options for that server as if the IP is not allowed. If I change the IP by one digit in any direction, those options return. Are we no longer allowed to use the host computer as one of the distributed encoding processors?

Next, when I try to do distributed encoding, the other computers I'm trying to use say "Access violation at address 0051AE24 in module 'EncodingServer.exe'. Read of address 00000098"

Last edited by gabbett1; 23rd December 2021 at 22:19.
gabbett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2021, 00:38   #19382  |  Link
TDS
Formally known as .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbett1 View Post
Actually I do have 1.26.1 from the link on the first page, even though the link says 1.26.0.7.

A couple things I've noticed when trying to do the distributed encoding.

One, if I enter the IP address of the host server, it will blank out the options for that server as if the IP is not allowed. If I change the IP by one digit in any direction, those options return. Are we no longer allowed to use the host computer as one of the distributed encoding processors?

Next, when I try to do distributed encoding, the other computers I'm trying to use say "Access violation at address 0051AE24 in module 'EncodingServer.exe'. Read of address 00000098"
Well, clearly you have autoupdate enabled, to get v1.26.1.

There must be some addressing conflict somewhere you need to rectify.

RipBot264 modded builds..
TDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2021, 00:41   #19383  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by screaming View Post
I've used that trick of mixing encoded video with remuxed audio before, but that did not work this time when using the encoded HEVC video from Ripbot with the remuxed audio from the original video file.

I really prefer using Ripbot for 1080p encodes, but if I have to use Handbrake for the rare HEVC encode, so be it.
Yes, Handbrake is a good "standby" when you have some problem with RipBot.

Have you tried Staxrip ??

Old 24th December 2021, 03:37   #19384  |  Link
screaming

Quote:
Yes, Handbrake is a good "standby" when you have some problem with RipBot.

Have you tried Staxrip ??
Never heard of Staxrip, but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.
screaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2021, 02:08   #19385  |  Link
gabbett1

Quote:
Well, clearly you have autoupdate enabled, to get v1.26.1.

There must be some addressing conflict somewhere you need to rectify.
What kind of addressing conflict? I don't understand why this issue comes back every time.
gabbett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2021, 17:03   #19386  |  Link
phred1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Try again in SAFE MODE
Yes, booting in SAFE MODE did the trick =)
But when booting as normal Encoding Server won't start again. What can I di to change this behavior?
phred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2021, 18:12   #19387  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Some app running in background is blocking Encoding Server. (Geforce Experience and so on)
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2021, 00:53   #19388  |  Link
TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbett1 View Post
What kind of addressing conflict? I don't understand why this issue comes back every time.
When you said that if you change the IP address by just 1 number in either direction that the problem goes away, then there must be another device using that address (it might be hidden).

Maybe change ALL your IP address's, and see if that does anything.

Or you can try what is suggested in the post's just before this one..Safe Mode, some app running in the background causing havoc.

And if Atak isn't going to chime in, that's about all I can suggest.

Happy New Year.

Old 7th January 2022, 07:20   #19389  |  Link
phred1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Some app running in background is blocking Encoding Server. (Geforce Experience and so on)
Ahh, tnx! Is there any special procedure you can recommend for finding the blocking app? Feels I'm really lost here
phred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2022, 16:50   #19390  |  Link
Atak_Snajpera
RipBot264 author

Check Wait Chain option
https://superuser.com/questions/4976...n-task-manager
Atak_Snajpera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2022, 20:43   #19391  |  Link
slalom

@Atak

Audio delay goes up to 10000ms

Sometimes that's not enough. Mkv merge can go higher but has no preview

Can you remove the delay limit on the next upgrade please?
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2022, 23:53   #19392  |  Link
GZZ

Any tried this, I did a conversion from Dolby Vision (Profile 7, Dolby Vision Dual layer) to Profile 8 (Dolby Vision Single Layer). Could be nice if this feature could be added into RipBot264.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=183479

I havent tried to use it on a encoding with cropping, but it should be possible to crop the RPU data before injecting it into the encoded MKV. So no need to do Dolby Vision encoding in x265 as its just extracted - Cropped - Injected into the final mkv file.
GZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2022, 15:31   #19393  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZZ View Post
Any tried this, I did a conversion from Dolby Vision (Profile 7, Dolby Vision Dual layer) to Profile 8 (Dolby Vision Single Layer). Could be nice if this feature could be added into RipBot264.

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=183479

I havent tried to use it on a encoding with cropping, but it should be possible to crop the RPU data before injecting it into the encoded MKV. So no need to do Dolby Vision encoding in x265 as its just extracted - Cropped - Injected into the final mkv file.
I very much would like to see this feature added. I've been wanting to work on adding the Dolby Vision stream with cropping. I saw a thread about what is involved but I have not done more than reading at this point.

If this could be added to RipBot so the Dolby Vision stream is added along with the HDR10, that would be wonderful.

GZZ: How big was your Dolby Vision stream? I read it added several GB to the file size.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2022, 23:48   #19394  |  Link
GZZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryushin View Post
GZZ: How big was your Dolby Vision stream? I read it added several GB to the file size.
It is very small, like 65mb for at complete movie (2 hours) and it result in like 100mb with overhead. But bear in mind this is only single layer and dosnt include the secondlayer video track you find on the uhd, but I did a simple compare, really basic on my LG oled (b6) tv and took 2 image with my iphone ans its possible to see that the dynamic data of Dolby Vision does shine compared to HDR10.

Will upload them later today
Old 23rd January 2022, 18:59   #19395  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
It is very small, like 65mb for at complete movie (2 hours) and it result in like 100mb with overhead. But bear in mind this is only single layer and dosnt include the secondlayer video track you find on the uhd, but I did a simple compare, really basic on my LG oled (b6) tv and took 2 image with my iphone ans its possible to see that the dynamic data of Dolby Vision does shine compared to HDR10.

That would be most appreciated. I'm going to look at working on this today. I do crop all my 4K encodes, so I'll have to go down that rabbit hole. If I can get this to work on my Sony Z9D with the Shield 2019, I'll re-rip all my DV discs and extract the DV track and mux it back into the MKVs I've already made.
Old 23rd January 2022, 22:31   #19396  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:

So I think the cropping is actually quite easy. According to this:
https://github.com/quietvoid/dovi_tool/issues/39
I quote regarding turning on the crop option:
"It has no knowledge of the letterbox bars size, they are simply set to zero, to tell the Dolby Vision decoder that there are no letterbox bars encoded in the video."

So far I've created a Dolby Vision version of Transformers the Movie and Dune Part1. Transformers looked better, but Dune was dimmer. BTW, I'm one of those strange ones that likes the "Vivid" settings on a TV, and on the Z9D, Vivid is amazing. My problem is probably due to settings the Z9D is setting to display Dolby Vision. I'll dig into that more as I like to keep the Dolby Vision stream in my encodes.

Either way, the new DV tools are awesome in how easy they are to use. Could still use a bit more work so you can specify a location to pick up and store the RPU.bin file
Old 23rd January 2022, 23:20   #19397  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
So far I've created a Dolby Vision version of Transformers the Movie and Dune Part1. Transformers looked better, but Dune was dimmer. BTW, I'm one of those strange ones that likes the "Vivid" settings on a TV, and on the Z9D, Vivid is amazing. My problem is probably due to settings the Z9D is setting to display Dolby Vision. I'll dig into that more as I like to keep the Dolby Vision stream in my encodes.
Looks like Sony has limited Dolby Vision to dark mode on on the Z9D and Sony F generation TVs. So HDR10 looks quite a bit brighter to me compared to DV. Such a shame. I'm going to keep digging to see if there is some kind of setting that I can use to increase the brightness.
Old 24th January 2022, 14:21   #19398  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Looks like Sony has limited Dolby Vision to dark mode on on the Z9D and Sony F generation TVs. So HDR10 looks quite a bit brighter to me compared to DV. Such a shame. I'm going to keep digging to see if there is some kind of setting that I can use to increase the brightness.
Actually, the more I dug into this, the more I found a lot of people complaining about the brightness of Dolby Vision regardless of the brand of TV. It seems that Dolby Vision is geared towards watching in a darkened environment as the cinematographer intended. The newer TVs have a DV Bright/Dark mode, but even then, people saying HDR10 is brighter.

The WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) of DV is well... "Fix it and change it back the way you had it." Since there is no way to disable Dolby Vision in the Z9D, I guess I'll be keeping the HDR10.

At least there is now a way to easily extract the Dolby Vision Stream. Because the stream is so small, I may still extract the stream is store it for possible later use.
Old 26th January 2022, 12:40   #19399  |  Link
GZZ

My compared image, taken with Iphone 12pro, real life view.

TV: LG B6 OLED (2016 4k model)
Lensflare is visible as its daylight in the room and close to a window.

Its from the start of Indiana Jones UHD, uncompressed video where only the DV is converted from Profile 7 to Profile 8 in order to work on Apple TV.

HDR10: https://ibb.co/cx3Lw2C
DV: https://ibb.co/fSVCZpx

HDR10: https://ibb.co/GtjWr77
DV: https://ibb.co/s9VLh1G

I see much better control of britgtness on the DV on both image. Its clear how Static (HDR10) vs. Dynamic (DV) data can adapt to a single image.

I dont see what you talked about on brightness, might be the way Sony uses the DV data.
Old 26th January 2022, 20:21   #19400  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
I see much better control of britgtness on the DV on both image. Its clear how Static (HDR10) vs. Dynamic (DV) data can adapt to a single image.

I dont see what you talked about on brightness, might be the way Sony uses the DV data.
Your images do seem to show the differences, especially the dancers.

I was reading in the thread you posted. Did you end up figuring out the crop function? Is it needed or not. I found one github issue that crop was needed, but reading that thread you provided, it seems it is not.

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360