Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > VP9 and AV1

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th January 2013, 07:20   #11  |  Link
xooyoozoo

Played around with a checkout from master branch on Sat, and the decoder fails with --tune=ssim and --best during scene changes. I then just did a build with their current code, which merged in some goodies from their experimental branch. Now --tune=ssim breaks the encoder instead with "segmentation fault 11" during the first 16 frames of pass 2. Maybe it's auto-alt-ref related, but either way, looks like they definitely aren't developing for SSIM...

With the older build, I did quick 2pass runs of a dark, slightly grainy source and no tunings on either encoders. VP9 had a lot higher PSNR (maybe it defaults to this tuning) and slightly higher SSIM than x264 placebo (forgot to match keyint though whoops), but x264 fared better visually, especially in scenes of grain against a flat background. VP9 also had this weird thing where grain suddenly reappeared for 1 frame and then goes away again, and the contrast is extreme enough to be noticeable in normal playback.

I think there's definitely still some qp and rc tunings to be done. In terms of objective metrics, however, things are at least very promising.

Code:
vpxenc -p 2 -t 1 --codec=vp9 --best --cpu-used=0 \
  --target-bitrate=1500 --end-usage=vbr \
  --auto-alt-ref=1 -v \
  --minsection-pct=5 --maxsection-pct=800 \
  --lag-in-frames=16 --kf-min-dist=0 --kf-max-dist=360 \
  --token-parts=2 --static-thresh=0 --drop-frame=0 \
  --min-q=0 --max-q=60 \
  -o .webm .y4m
No hard numbers because I only wanted tune-ssim results and deleted everything after visual inspection.

Last edited by xooyoozoo; 15th January 2013 at 10:04. Reason: Clarity
xooyoozoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google, ngov, vp8, vp9, vpx, webm