Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th June 2021, 12:59   #61621  |  Link
clsid

In that case there might be a bug in MadVR settings.

Open the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
Then right-click on this key to export it to a .reg file:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR
Upload this file somewhere. Then madshi can test if there is a bug.
Delete the key to reset the settings of MadVR to defaults.
Old 26th June 2021, 13:29   #61622  |  Link
Nabukodonosor

Here:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/7fk8f...adshi.reg/file
Nabukodonosor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2021, 13:39   #61623  |  Link
Nabukodonosor

OK, here's the new update. I looked in my old backup, in my cloud, where I keep my installations, to find which version I had back then when I had this old GPU, which was back in Nov 2017. The version was 9.0.24. I installed that one and it works great! No frame dropping or anything! So, this new madvr version gives me issues.

EDIT: I tried several version, randomly, they all now work fine. So, I was thinking, let me try that problematic version once more. And now it too work fine! :/ WTH?!

Last edited by Nabukodonosor; 26th June 2021 at 13:47.
Nabukodonosor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2021, 14:12   #61624  |  Link
huhn

you where using the setting under scaling algorithm -> upscale refinement

that why it only trigger in "full screen" not in windowed because these setting are only applied when scaling is used.

using an old version may just delete these setting because they are relative new settings.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2021, 02:00   #61625  |  Link
JaylumX
Something Else

It seem like with the latest version of MadVR (134) applies the 3DLUT to HDR when you tonemap HDR using pixel shaders. I compared it with the passthrough version and there is a significant change in temperature which looks really good.
Old 27th June 2021, 02:38   #61626  |  Link
SamuriHL

Yes if you have a 3DLUT it will definitely apply it to HDR. I've yet to play around with that myself as I've not generated a 3DLUT for madvr yet. It's on my todo list.
Old 27th June 2021, 03:40   #61627  |  Link
JaylumX
Something Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Yes if you have a 3DLUT it will definitely apply it to HDR. I've yet to play around with that myself as I've not generated a 3DLUT for madvr yet. It's on my todo list.
I must say that it looks amazing. Just watched Iron Man and the contrast and colours are really punchy.
Old 27th June 2021, 10:23   #61628  |  Link
Mkilbride

Wanting to use MadVR on a Laptop I just got. It's a 5900HX / 6800M combo. It has an iGPU, a Radeon Vega 8. I was wondering if anyone had any recommended settings for basic TV / Anime?

Using the same settings I've always used from here:

https://anime.my/tutorials/madvr/

IT WORKS, however it also is obviously too powerful for the iGPU, so it uses the 6800M. Which is fine enough, just concerned about battery life on the go. Will drain fast. I figure the above settings are just too much for the IGPU, as only get around 12FPS lol. With the 6800M it easily runs it, but also sucks that power down lol.

Looking for a good middle of the road config.
Mkilbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2021, 19:41   #61629  |  Link
tp4tissue

It's good that that guide also recommends using Madvr's most powerful feature, 3DLut with a colorimeter.

The extra upscaling stuff is a waste of electricity. Lanczos is more than enough and it runs fine on the iGpu. Although I think if it has to go to another monitor, it'll probably select discrete by default, at least that's the case on nvidia unless you force select in the nv menu.

Anime is superior with proper gamma tracking.

Some people argue for NGU on anime, but in reality, most of that stuff is rendered in 720p/1080p so ngu would just oversharpen.
Old 27th June 2021, 19:56   #61630  |  Link
Asmodian

I like NGU AA for anime, but on a laptop I agree that NGU would be overkill. Power and noise means Bicubic60 (chroma) and Lanczos for luma is a better alternative on a laptop.

For battery use I might go with EVR (except I do need that 3DLUT).
Old 27th June 2021, 20:08   #61631  |  Link
tp4tissue

NGU's energy usage is not justifiable. Especially because it does not produce a visible difference in motion at real viewing distances.

It's not good for laptops especially because the vrm durability is taking big hits FOR NOTHING.

It's one thing to run hot for games, but to run hot for something we can't even see is just straight up waste.

Movies without 3Dlut is unwatchable once you've seeeen it WITH 3Dlut. It's madvr's greatest feature for a reason.

With and without 3Dlut is night and day, whereas NGU is something we have to put our nose up to the screen and squint to see a difference.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 27th June 2021 at 20:10.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2021, 18:55   #61632  |  Link
mickeekung

When v0.92.18 will be released?
mickeekung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2021, 20:27   #61633  |  Link
mclingo

madshi is putting all his energy into ENVY at the moment, the hardware platform version, so its not really clear whether we'll ever get another software version, best we can say is yeah maybe, sometime in the next 5 years
Old 29th June 2021, 20:31   #61634  |  Link
SamuriHL

That's highly bold putting 5 years on it.
Old 30th June 2021, 11:30   #61635  |  Link
ryrynz

I consider it for every day users for all intents and purposes now dead in the water. If we're lucky we'll get some bug fixes and minor quality of life improvements, but yeah the ride is over.
mclingo playing the optimist lol.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2021, 12:56   #61636  |  Link
SamuriHL

I'm somewhere in the middle. I think for average users things are complicated. I don't think madvr on the PC is dead. Think of it like a long hiatus. Which is nothing new for it anyway. Right now the focus is on envy and getting that off the ground. To that end advanced users get some benefit from the beta builds as they are used to further quality for tone mapping. Eventually there'll be a registration system of some kind put in place so that builds won't time out. We're in fairly good shape with 134. It's very nice for watching movies. It's not for the faint of heart to setup though. That I think is the compromise right now. You can take advantage of the beta builds but you have to be prepared to put in the work. And until the registration system is done, put up with ever changing, expiring builds. For the average user, that complicates things. We will eventually see another stable release build. But it's going to be a while. It depends on the success of envy.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Old 30th June 2021, 14:51   #61637  |  Link
ashlar42

All of a sudden my present stats shoot through the roof. Like 16-17 ms... even higher. Videos start at 0.x ms present stats, then after some seconds they go high.

I was trying to create custom resolutions, with CRU, but then I reset everything. Any idea of what might be the reason?
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2021, 16:39   #61638  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
All of a sudden my present stats shoot through the roof. Like 16-17 ms... even higher. Videos start at 0.x ms present stats, then after some seconds they go high.

I was trying to create custom resolutions, with CRU, but then I reset everything. Any idea of what might be the reason?
It may be the power settings in nvidia control panel. If it is set to adaptive, it produces spikes in the rendering times.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2021, 18:41   #61639  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
It may be the power settings in nvidia control panel. If it is set to adaptive, it produces spikes in the rendering times.
It was present times the problem, not rendering. Using DDU and reinstalling fixed it.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2021, 18:42   #61640  |  Link
el Filou

Massive present times can also be linked to VSync settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I don't think madvr on the PC is dead. [...] Right now the focus is on envy and getting that off the ground. [...] Eventually there'll be a registration system of some kind put in place so that builds won't time out. [...] We will eventually see another stable release build.
I'm not as optimistic. My reasoning is that madshi needs the HDR test builds simply because it is a feature where a community with different people watching a variety of source material on a variety of different display devices is a precious resource to him for development. People help him fine-tune tonemapping, and they get it for their PC in return, albeit in beta form. It's like insider builds for Windows.
The user registration system - like the time limit - is only there to fight the businesses selling pre-built HTPCs with madVR included that compete with the Envy.
However the other features planned in the future ('AI' frame interpolation, deinterlacing, multi frame noise reduction) don't need that community for testing. madshi simply has no incentive in continuing to enhance madVR PC beyond HDR tonemapping: it's time spent he'd rather invest in Envy development and it only brings him more problems like supporting users with different configs and OS and driver versions and hardware having different issues, all while making the Envy less attractive in comparison.
For example he already said that he has no plans to integrate the new "Non Linear Stretch" in madVR PC (not that I would miss it in this particular case).

Now I will eat my words if the opposite happens, but I think we have to be content with what we have now which is a freeware that is the product of many years of development but is now a 'community edition' limited version of a better product.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling