Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th May 2021, 19:08   #61441  |  Link
el Filou

The "betas" only have 'feature' changes that concern HDR. Build 113 also has small rendering performance changes where madshi said you could push the GPU utilization higher before it starts dropping frames, but as a caveat smooth motion crashes with it. More recent builds also had rendering changes that broke older GPU drivers/Windows versions, so can be risky too.
So if you never watch HDR and you're not running dangerously close to max GPU utilization, there is no need to use anything more recent than the 92.17 release.
Old 4th May 2021, 19:54   #61442  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Got it, too bad there isn't any new official build since 92.17.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2021, 22:30   #61443  |  Link
SamuriHL

There is. You just need to spend 7 to 13 grand to get it. I'm hysterical.
Old 5th May 2021, 00:10   #61444  |  Link
Asmodian

I was really surprised the first monetization of madVR was as part of a hardware project.

It would be so cheap to release a "pro" version of madVR and hardware projects, especially those involving cutting edge compute, are expensive and hard to deliver (QA, warehouses, etc.). There would be some support costs, but the per-user costs would be so much lower with a pure software business model.

madVR seems so perfect for a pure software model too, given how many people have GPUs already. An Envy is a very niche market even compared to those with 3090s/Titans/6900XTs.

There is probably something I am missing.
Old 5th May 2021, 03:16   #61445  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
There is probably something I am missing.
I doubt you missed it, the simple fact is it's not tied to hardware and thus can't be sold for 7-13K

I'm fine with things as they are more or less, the early 2010's were fun, one of the only things I'd love to have is better seeking and playback performance.
Maybe there will be some backporting eventually, I don't expect anything significant this year, some optimizations and fixes would be nice but I think Windows madVR is basically brickwalled.
Asking about a new stable build yields no answer, so that's that I guess.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2021, 03:57   #61446  |  Link
SamuriHL

I wouldn't go that far. It's certainly taken a back seat to Envy because that's how they make their money. But madvr serves a purpose within the framework of that model. Which is to help improve the Envy. Right now the focus is on improving HDR, as it has been for the past couple years. And honestly, there have been some really nice improvements in that area in the past few builds. And more to come as the curve situation is figured out. PC development has stalled a bit at the moment as they were working on geometry shaping on the Envy (for the extreme, anyway). Now that it's implemented and the latest beta is about to expire, we'll see if focus is shifted back to the PC world for a bit. That is unknown. I would expect to see at least a new build with a new expiration at a minimum before the end of the month, but, honestly that's just a guess. I know it's not awesome to be considered the red-headed step-child of the video rendering world, but, we get fed once in a while. LOL
Old 5th May 2021, 06:17   #61447  |  Link
ryrynz

Beta test releases which expire aren't actual releases though :P So if you get some use out of the tonemapping all well and good I guess. But who's to say those features won't be disabled in a new test build relegating the test build to exactly what it's intended for, testing new features. Time will tell, it's been two years now.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2021, 07:19   #61448  |  Link
chros

It's clear now that nothing major will happen, for wharever reason they are scared sh1tless that madvr is in the way of the sales of envy. And no reg system will change that.
The current situation tells you everything: they don't even care to compile a new build to get rid of the annoying message. That's basically like spit on the face of those testers...
Old 5th May 2021, 16:21   #61449  |  Link
SamuriHL

Well....you can always switch to one of the madvr competitors. LMAO
Old 5th May 2021, 17:16   #61450  |  Link
nghiabeo20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Well....you can always switch to one of the madvr competitors. LMAO
What is a worthy one? I switched to mpv since MPC development stopped, and never look back, though I understand madvr IQ is better.
nghiabeo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2021, 17:39   #61451  |  Link
SamuriHL

That was sort of the joke there in my response. There isn't one.
Old 5th May 2021, 18:44   #61452  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghiabeo20 View Post
... since MPC development stopped ...
Last version is one day old...

Apart from addition of dark there, seekbar preview, youtube-dl integration, updated LAV, webvtt sub support, mpcvr support, cue sheet support, A-B repeat, and lots of stability and performance improvements, nothing interesting has changed though
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2021, 14:38   #61453  |  Link
nghiabeo20

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Last version is one day old...

Apart from addition of dark there, seekbar preview, youtube-dl integration, updated LAV, webvtt sub support, mpcvr support, cue sheet support, A-B repeat, and lots of stability and performance improvements, nothing interesting has changed though
youtube-dl? Now we're talking.

Edit: are you talking about MPC-BE? and is there any comparision between madvr and MPC VR, haven't found anything.

Last edited by nghiabeo20; 7th May 2021 at 14:45.
Old 7th May 2021, 18:09   #61454  |  Link
huhn

no he is talking about mpc-hc because he is in charge of the continued development of the most used fork of mpc-hc.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2021, 22:59   #61455  |  Link
DennisF

Hi all, I'm trying my hand at building a source filter to feed into madVR. If I build a simple CTransformFilter connected between a source and madVR and then in::Transform(IMediaSample* pIn, IMediaSample* pOut) call pOut->QueryInterface(&pMediaSideData), pMediaSideData is a valid pointer to a IMediaSideData structure (LAV definition) and madVR picks that up as expected.

Now if I try to DIY a source and pin by deriving from CBaseOutputPin, connect that to madVR's input pin and and in there override :: DecideAllocator(IMemInputPin* pPin, IMemAllocator** ppAlloc) to just do a pPin->GetAllocator(ppAlloc); that leads to a valid allocator from madVR (at least I think so because msvc debugger has no symbols and madvr.ax shows up on some parts, so working assumption is that it's what I expect). Then doing a m_pAllocator->GetBuffer(&pSample, NULL, NULL, 0); to get an IMediaSample filled works as expected and gives me video output. However pOut->QueryInterface(&pMediaSideData) leads to a nullptr in pMediaSideData. I'm a bit baffled as to what's going on here. Any tips?
DennisF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2021, 14:39   #61456  |  Link
nghiabeo20

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
no he is talking about mpc-hc because he is in charge of the continued development of the most used fork of mpc-hc.
OK I see the github repo.

My switch to mpv have to happen anyway, as I now mostly use Linux and mac.
Old 10th May 2021, 11:45   #61457  |  Link
oddball

I've just created a 3DLut for MadVR using DisplayCal. This works well unless I enable Fullscreen Exclusive Mode in MadVR. It completely throws out incorrect colors when I play HDR content. It seems to pull the color correction from the 3DLut and apply it to HDR output (Bug perhaps?). Is there any way I can calibrate FullScreen Exclusive Mode in DisplayCal or fix it so MadVR does not use the 3DLut from SDR?
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2021, 19:15   #61458  |  Link
Asmodian

Why do you want to use Fullscreen Exclusive mode?

In Windows 10 Fullscreen Exclusive is fake anyway, I get better results not using it at all now.
Old 11th May 2021, 01:38   #61459  |  Link
crmb

I am a bit confused by "Disable gamma ramp" checkbox.

My main monitor is calibrated (color profile applied in windows 7).

With the box ticked, it seems everything looks fine. And i can tell that the windows color profile is also applied to MPC (windowed & fullscreen).

However with the box unticked (default) i get the feeling that the color profile is applied again (so applied twice) because the colors looks odd.

My rendering settings :
- enable windowed overlay : checked
- everything else : not checked

Last edited by crmb; 11th May 2021 at 01:52.
crmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2021, 02:41   #61460  |  Link
Asmodian

It sounds like Windowed Overlay isn't working as it should, which GPU do you have?

Windowed Overlay is supposed to bypass the color profile so it must be applied manually by madVR. Checking disable gamma ramp stops it from applying the color profile manually, but it doesn't disable it globally.

Turning off Windowed Overlay should change the behavior to disable the color profile globally when madVR is running.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling