Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 7th December 2021, 14:13   #41  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL View Post
I do not see if global predictor switched in PlaneOfBlocks.cpp - https://github.com/pinterf/mvtools/b...locks.cpp#L950 (at least at version 2.7.45). It is checked in all processing settings.
I found it useful and possibly developers forgot to remove 'global' param ? It is now used in 'optPredictorType=1' reduced predictors combination for better speed in 'work-in-progress' for next version.
Are you saying it's permanently enabled? I'm certain there was a difference between global=true/false when I was playing around yesterday. Only a slight difference, but I'm sure there was one.

anton_foy,
I just noticed a difference between my script and the version of FastDegrain on the wiki in respect to LSFMod sharpening, and I don't remember if it was deliberate or just a silly. It's probably the latter but I rarely use FastDegrain with sharpening enabled so I can't remember. Anyway....
The version on the wiki sharpens the video before MSuper. Mine doesn't. I'm not sure how much difference it'd make or if one way is better than the other, but lines 75-79 in the version I posted are this (or they were, as I'll edit my previous post to change it to match the original script):

Code:
Input = !Sharp || !SFirst ? Source : \
Source.LSFMod(strength=Str, ss_x=SS, ss_y=SS, soft=Sft, overshoot=OShoot)

SuperClip = Source.MSuper(pel=Pel, mt=MT)
To match the original script it should be this:

Code:

SuperClip = Input.MSuper(pel=Pel, mt=MT)
Of course that's only if SFirst=true, which isn't the default.
The default is for LFSMod to sharpen the denoised clip as it would if it followed FastDegrain in a script. ie
FastDegrain()
LSFMod()

Oh, and to be pedantic, I changed the first two lines of the Output section too.

This:
Code:
Output = \
(Degrain < 1) ? Source : \
To this:
Code:
Output = \
(Degrain < 1) ? Input : \
So for SFirst=true the video will still be sharpened even if Degrain=0

Last edited by hello_hello; 7th December 2021 at 15:05.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2021, 15:00   #42  |  Link
hello_hello

anton_foy,
Something else you might care to try. I was going to add MDegrain=4/5/6 to FastDegrain, but as I've never known if MDegrainN produces the same result as the other MDegrains I compared them today, and it appears when all else is equal, it does. So for a greater temporal range I used this script instead, It's called MDegrainNL (MDegrain Light) as the defaults do fairly light degraining, but it's just the defaults that are a little different, and MDegrainNL doesn't include sharpening.
These should produce the same result.

MDegrainNL(TR=3, thSAD=400, BLKSize=16, Overlap=4, Pel=2)
FastDegrain(Degrain=3, thSAD=400, BLKSize=16, Overlap=4, Pel=2)

Edit: By the way, when you said FastDegrain gives you 0.0222x speed is that correct, because for a 24fps source I'd interpret that to mean something like 0.53fps, which is painfully slow.

Edit: Removed the default thSAD2 value from the MDegrainNL function. See post #46.

Code:
# ===============================================================================
# ===============================================================================
#            MDegrainNL (MDegrainN Light) 2021-12-08

function MDegrainNL(clip Source, \
int "TR", int "thSAD", int "thSAD2", int "BLKSize", int "Overlap", int "Pel", bool "Precise", \
bool "TrueM", bool "GlobalM", int "lambda", int "pnew", bool "MT", bool "LSB")  {

TR = default(TR, 1)                      # Temporal radius
thSAD = default(thSAD, 150)              # Denoising strength
BLKSize = default(BLKSize, 16)           # Block size
Overlap = default(Overlap, BLKSize/2)    # Block overlap
Pel = default(Pel, 2)                    # MVAnalyse pel (1, 2, 4)
Precise = default(Precise, false)        # Recalculate
TrueM = default(TrueM, false)            # Enable/disable truemotion
GlobalM = default(GlobalM, true)         # Enable/disable global motion
MT = default(MT, false)                  # Internal multithreading
LSB = default(LSB, false)                # Stacked 16-bit

# Uncommenting the two lines below results in the same MVTools2 settings as QTGMC when truemotion=false
# lambda = default(lambda, (TrueM ? 1000 : 100 ) * BLKSize * BLKSize / 64)
# pnew = default(pnew, TrueM ? 50 : 25)

Super = MSuper(Source, pel=Pel, mt=MT)

MultiVec1 = MAnalyse(Super, multi=true, delta=TR, blksize=BLKSize, overlap=Overlap, \
truemotion=TrueM, global=GlobalM, lambda=lambda, pnew=pnew, mt=MT)

MultiVec2 = !Precise ? MultiVec1 : \
MRecalculate(Super, MultiVec1, tr=TR, blksize=BLKSize/2, overlap=Overlap/2, \
thSAD=thSAD2, truemotion=TrueM, lambda=lambda, pnew=pnew)

MDegrainN(Source, Super, MultiVec2, TR, thSAD=thSAD, thSAD2=thSAD2, mt=MT, lsb=LSB)  }

Last edited by hello_hello; 8th December 2021 at 07:37.
Old 7th December 2021, 16:06   #43  |  Link
DTL

"Is there some method of detecting if Prefetch is being used ?"

It is a good question to AVS developers - may be exist or can be simply added some 'property' like _num_avs_threads. If it > 1 - the internal avstp-based mt in mvtools may be disabled. Or may be adjusted to num_cores - num_avs_threads using avstp_set_threads().

" it's permanently enabled? "

Hmm - it looks like forgotten place to optimize. If enabled it start process of estimating global motion vector (more or less time consuming). But if disabled - the motion vector still checked at the search process (may be with some default data like zero). If users frequently do not use global motion analysis - it can be disabled in processing and speed up things a bit. But it will be +1 branching in the frequently used part of program and possible +slight degradation of speed for users of global motion.
It looks it was expected global motion predictor will be most of time used. So its disabling 'global' may be sort of user-side debug option. Though it is auto-disabled with disabling of 'truemotion' group of settings. But 'truemotion' is enabled in default settings.

" I've never known if MDegrainN produces the same result as the other MDegrains"

In latest official 2.7.45 MDegrainN fallback to (faster (possibly)) MDegrainX if thSAD=thSAD2. In later testbuilds MDegrainN have additional wpow param and pinterf wrote it need to be propagated to MDegrainXs for compatibility. But it still delayed.
The speed of MDegrainXs may be a bit better in compare with MDegrainN with same tr.
Do SVP GPU-based MAnalyse can support 'large' tr like up to 128 (current MDegrainN max) ?

"thSAD2 = default(thSAD2, thSAD/2)"

It is strange to see such great limit of thSAD2 param. It will mostly waste CPU cycles for 'useless' frames at the end of 'tr'. The main idea of thSAD2 is looks like to lower some visible bugs (errors in averaging too different blocks and so blurring) with large enough tr values. If these bugs ever happens at all. It may be if thSAD is set too high for current content (its noise level).
So if thSAD2 = thSAD/2 it for MDegrain3 mean about only MDegrain2 or MDegrain1 is actually used for denoising because at the tr=3 the thSAD falls to really thSAD/2 and below noise-deviated SAD so that blocks will get 0 averaging weight in MDegrainN.
Typical default for enabling MDegrainN processing is thSAD2 = thSAD-1 .

With precise adjustment (bewteen detail blurring and noise decreasing) the thSAD value is just small above 'noise level' and there is almost no space left to lower thSAD2. So thSAD2 may be 75..90% of thSAD or just equal.

In best case 'degrain script' must not have any thSAD default (or set it to extra low like 100 or 50) so user must adjust it (increase) to its content to set and understand the relation between degraining strength and low contrast details lost. For the current user's use case.

Last edited by DTL; 7th December 2021 at 16:57.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2021, 21:01   #44  |  Link
anton_foy

@DTL
Yes I guess it is something weird with my script or my computer? The footage I use is in UHD.

@hello_hello
I use UHD-footage from my Sony A6300 camera.
My BASIQ-script is almost as fast as using only fastdegrain with mp_pipeline
and very effective (the dancing noise in my footage gives a wobbly appearance with spatial
and most temporal denoisers aswell but not with fastdegrain/mdegrain + my neo_vaguedenoiser-mocomped)

Comp:
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz
32GB RAM

Script:
Code:
MP_Pipeline("""

SetFilterMTMode("DEFAULT_MT_MODE", 2)

#Index
LSMASHVideoSource("F:...mp4")

# ### prefetch: 32, 16
### ###
### platform: Win32

SetFilterMTMode("LSmashVideoSource", MT_SERIALIZED)

convertbits(16)
Deblock_QED_mt(quant1=26, aOff1=1, aOff2=1, bOff1=2, bOff2=2, uv=3)
Levels(0, 1, 65280, 0, 235*256, coring=false, dither=false)

### platform: win32
### branch 4
### ###

### ###

# DENOISE #
#basiq(preset="high")
Fastdegrain(degrain=3)
#Fastdegrain_svp(degrain=3)

### ###

neo_f3kdb(range=15, Y=45, Cb=30, Cr=30, grainY=0, grainC=0, sample_mode=2, blur_first=true, dynamic_grain=false, mt=true)

### ###

""")
trim(40,60)

#Chroma Upscaling
ConverttoYUV444()
ConvertBits(bits=10, dither=1)
Prefetch(4)
anton_foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2021, 21:20   #45  |  Link
DTL

"it is something weird with my script or my computer?"

I do not know what mean Deblock_QED_mt and neo_f3kdb and what is their speed. How speed increases if disable Fastdegrain ? Also it is better not leave thSAD param to default - it should be adjusted to the current footage noise level. If there is a combined footage with different 'ISO' settings and different noise levels - it is better to process each part with different thSAD value. If your camera do not use auto-ISO at time of shooting I think it is possible to make a table of thSAD values for each ISO setting (that mean for some fixed noise levels from that hardware). And assign the required thSAD value based in the ISO setting from metadata. Or at least select it as starting value for fine tuning.
Old 8th December 2021, 07:33   #46  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
"thSAD2 = default(thSAD2, thSAD/2)"

It is strange to see such great limit of thSAD2 param. It will mostly waste CPU cycles for 'useless' frames at the end of 'tr'. The main idea of thSAD2 is looks like to lower some visible bugs (errors in averaging too different blocks and so blurring) with large enough tr values. If these bugs ever happens at all. It may be if thSAD is set too high for current content (its noise level).
So if thSAD2 = thSAD/2 it for MDegrain3 mean about only MDegrain2 or MDegrain1 is actually used for denoising because at the tr=3 the thSAD falls to really thSAD/2 and below noise-deviated SAD so that blocks will get 0 averaging weight in MDegrainN.
Typical default for enabling MDegrainN processing is thSAD2 = thSAD-1 .

With precise adjustment (bewteen detail blurring and noise decreasing) the thSAD value is just small above 'noise level' and there is almost no space left to lower thSAD2. So thSAD2 may be 75..90% of thSAD or just equal.
I'm not sure why I decided on
thSAD2 = default(thSAD2, thSAD/2)
but as you made me look I repeated one of yesterday's encodes with thSAD2=thSAD, and there's differences, both good and bad.

Yesterday's encode came in at 4169.06 kb/s, and after running it again today with thSAD2=thSAD, the bitrate dropped to 3679.27 kb/s, so yes obviously more noise was removed. The source is very noisy animation so I'm using:

MDegrainNL(Tr=6, thSAD=600, Pel=4)

For animation, making thSAD2 the same as thSAD caused some lines to be blurred a tad more or reduced in size where there's movement. Not a lot, but it was there.
That additional blurring increased a little when the video was encoded (compared to looking at the script output) but I assume that's because the extra noise also caused the encoder to keep a bit of extra detail too.

So after a few cigarettes and some time contemplating my naval, as I can only see differences where there's motion (in respect to blurring), and even then, only when I compare individual frames, I think I'll just remove the thSAD2 line from the script.

Thanks for that.

Quote:
The speed of MDegrainXs may be a bit better in compare with MDegrainN with same tr.
When I was comparing them yesterday, degraining a 720p source in 8 bit, MDegrainN with TR=3 was 0.02fps slower than MDegrain3. Not enough to care about at that resolution, but I can't remember if I was using MT=true at the time.

Quote:
In best case 'degrain script' must not have any thSAD default (or set it to extra low like 100 or 50) so user must adjust it (increase) to its content to set and understand the relation between degraining strength and low contrast details lost. For the current user's use case.
I created the MDegrainNL function for myself, and at the time it was intended as a go to function for fairly light degraining of HD video, so I added appropriate defaults to avoid typing argument names unless it's necessary.

Last edited by hello_hello; 8th December 2021 at 08:11.
Old 8th December 2021, 07:55   #47  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton_foy View Post
@DTL
Yes I guess it is something weird with my script or my computer? The footage I use is in UHD.
Processing UHD is 16 bit is bound to be slow. I wouldn't go near it with my old computer. How hard does your CPU work when you're using that script?
Old 8th December 2021, 08:46   #48  |  Link
DTL

To make 'FastDegrain' faster at 16bit inputs it may be added converting input to 8bit for MAnalyse. It should be faster and new testbuilds have only 8bit MAnalyse SIMD accelerated functions for 8x8 and 16x16 blocks only.
Old 8th December 2021, 09:25   #49  |  Link
anton_foy

Quote:
To make 'FastDegrain' faster at 16bit inputs it may be added converting input to 8bit for MAnalyse. It should be faster and new testbuilds have only 8bit MAnalyse SIMD accelerated functions for 8x8 and 16x16 blocks only.
Like this?
Code:
# Create our Super clip for MV search. Then, search for motion vectors.
super = src.MSuper(pel=pel)
super8 = src.convertbits(8).MSuper(pel=pel)
bvec3 = (degrain>=3) ? super8.MAnalyse(isb=true, delta=3, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT) : NOP()
bvec2 = (degrain>=2) ? super8.MAnalyse(isb=true, delta=2, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT) : NOP()
bvec1 = (degrain>=1) ? super8.MAnalyse(isb=true, delta=1, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT) : NOP()
fvec1 = (degrain>=1) ? super8.MAnalyse(isb=false, delta=1, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT) : NOP()
fvec2 = (degrain>=2) ? super8.MAnalyse(isb=false, delta=2, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT) : NOP()
fvec3 = (degrain>=3) ? super8.MAnalyse(isb=false, delta=3, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT) : NOP()

# Degraining the video using MVDegrain. Nothing special here.
src = (degrain==1) ? src.MDegrain1(super, bvec1, fvec1, thSAD=thSAD, limit=limit) : src
src = (degrain==2) ? src.MDegrain2(super, bvec1, fvec1, bvec2, fvec2, thSAD=thSAD, limit=limit) : src
src = (degrain>=3) ? src.MDegrain3(super, bvec1, fvec1, bvec2, fvec2, bvec3, fvec3, thSAD=thSAD, limit=limit) : src

return src
}
Quote:
How hard does your CPU work when you're using that script?
I must check it out and report back to you. I pipe it to ffmpeg and make prores 10-bit files if maybe that slows things down aswell?
Old 8th December 2021, 10:54   #50  |  Link
anton_foy

Quote:
Like this?
Code:
super8 = src.convertbits(8).MSuper(pel=pel)
bvec3 = (degrain>=3) ? super8.MAnalyse(isb=true, delta=3, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT) : NOP()
bvec2 = (degrain>=2) ? super8.MAnalyse(isb=true, delta=2, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT) : NOP()
bvec1 = (degrain>=1) ? super8.MAnalyse(isb=true, delta=1, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT) : NOP()
fvec1 = (degrain>=1) ? super8.MAnalyse(isb=false, delta=1, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT) : NOP()
fvec2 = (degrain>=2) ? super8.MAnalyse(isb=false, delta=2, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT) : NOP()
fvec3 = (degrain>=3) ? super8.MAnalyse(isb=false, delta=3, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT) : NOP()

src = (degrain==1) ? src.MDegrain1(super, bvec1, fvec1, thSAD=thSAD, limit=limit) : src
src = (degrain==2) ? src.MDegrain2(super, bvec1, fvec1, bvec2, fvec2, thSAD=thSAD, limit=limit) : src
src = (degrain>=3) ? src.MDegrain3(super, bvec1, fvec1, bvec2, fvec2, bvec3, fvec3, thSAD=thSAD, limit=limit) : src

return src
}

I must check it out and report back to you. I pipe it to ffmpeg and make prores 10-bit files if maybe that slows things down aswell?
Edit: I also want to mention that if I use blocksize 16 instead of 8 I get more motion blur added in moving parts even if it is moving just slightly.
Is that mainly the trade off for higher blocksizes or can another parameter compensate it?
Old 8th December 2021, 12:29   #51  |  Link
DTL

"get more motion blur added in moving parts"

In theory the thSAD is scaled internally to at the changing of block size. So the disadvantages of 16x16 block should be mostly on the angled luma/chroma transients. But large flat enough areas should be identical with 8x8 block. Have you adjust the thSAD value for the best ratio of blur vs degraining ?

For some 'drafting' work the 'PredictorType=4' mode may be used. It is sort of 'checked/refined pel=0.5 (or 0.25?)/ interpolated (predicted) pel = 1' and simply outputs prediction of level 1 without any search at largest and slowest level 0. So it close to use full-HD sized MAnalyse with UHD-1 (4K) sized source for MDegrain. The speed is in theory about 4 times faster. But unfortunately speed of MDegrain itself also not very great yet and with infinitely fast MAnalyse it become main limiting. I hope its stable enough example available at build - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kMc...H8JBx3Pl1/view .
Using optPredictorType=4 require re-adjusting thSAD to about 1.5 times lower because SAD from level 1 (half HV sized) typically lower in compare with level 0.

Last edited by DTL; 8th December 2021 at 12:31.
Old 8th December 2021, 15:07   #52  |  Link
hello_hello

anton_foy,
Something else you might want to try...
Expanding a limited range source to full range for MAnalyse seems to be common in functions these days. I've been meaning to add it for a while but never got round to it. It might compensate for reducing the bitdepth though. I don't know, but I added some new arguments to FastDegrain and MDegrainNL for MAnalyse bitdepth and range, and while I was at it I added Degrain4/5/6 to FastDegrain, in case you want to encode even slower.

Code:
#            MDegrainNL (MDegrainN Light) 2021-12-09

function MDegrainNL(clip Source, \
int "TR", int "thSAD", int "thSAD2", int "BLKSize", int "Overlap", int "Pel", bool "Precise", \
bool "TrueM", bool "GlobalM", bool "Exp", bool "SBits", int "BitD", int "lambda", int "pnew", bool "MT", bool "LSB")  {

TR = default(TR, 1)                      # Temporal radius
thSAD = default(thSAD, 150)              # Denoising strength
BLKSize = default(BLKSize, 16)           # Block size
Overlap = default(Overlap, BLKSize/2)    # Block overlap
Pel = default(Pel, 2)                    # MVAnalyse pel (1, 2, 4)
Exp = default(Exp, true)                 # Limited->Full range expansion for MAnalyse search
SBits = default(SBits, false)            # Use source bitdepth for MAnalyse search
BitD = default(BitD, 8)                  # Bit depth for MAnalyse search (max = source bits)
MT = default(MT, false)                  # Internal multithreading
LSB = default(LSB, false)                # Stacked 16-bit

# Uncommenting the two lines below results in the same MVTools2 settings as QTGMC when truemotion=false

# -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AvsVerStrLC = LCase(VersionString())
IsAvsPlus = (FindStr(AvsVerStrLC, "avisynth+") > 0)
IsAvsNeo = (FindStr(AvsVerStrLC, "avisynth neo") > 0)
AvsStrNum = IsAvsPlus || IsAvsNeo ? FindStr(AvsVerStrLC, "(r") + 2 : 0
AvsBuildNum = (AvsStrNum > 2) ? int(value(MidStr(AvsVerStrLC, AvsStrNum))) : 0
IsAvsHBD = (AvsBuildNum > 2294)

# -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Super = MSuper(Source, pel=Pel, mt=MT)

Search = Exp ? Super.ColorYUV(levels="TV->PC") : Super
Search = IsAvsHBD && !SBits && (BitD < BitsPerComponent(Source)) ? Search.ConvertBits(BitD) : Search

MultiVec1 = MAnalyse(Search, multi=true, delta=TR, blksize=BLKSize, overlap=Overlap, \
truemotion=TrueM, global=GlobalM, lambda=lambda, pnew=pnew, mt=MT)

MultiVec2 = !Precise ? MultiVec1 : \
MRecalculate(Search, MultiVec1, tr=TR, blksize=BLKSize/2, overlap=Overlap/2, \
thSAD=thSAD2, truemotion=TrueM, lambda=lambda, pnew=pnew)

MDegrainN(Source, Super, MultiVec2, TR, thSAD=thSAD, thSAD2=thSAD2, mt=MT, lsb=LSB)  }

Code:
#            FastDegrain 2021-12-09
#
#  FastDegrain by Sagekilla
#  Easy to use alias for MDegrain 1, 2, or 3
#  Features optional sharpening if you should desire
#  Required plugins: LSFMod (to enable sharpening) & MVTools2.dll
#
#  Changes by Hello_Hello
#  Updated the required plugins list
#  Added missing "thSAD" argument for MDegrain1, MDegrain2 & MDegrain3
#  Added "TrueM" argument and made truemotion=false the default
#  Added "GlobalM" argument and made global=true the default
#  Added "MT" argument
#  Added "Precise" argument
#  Added "Exp" argument
#  Added "SBits" argument
#  Added "BitD" argument
#  LimitedSharpenFaster variable "oshot" corrected to "OShoot"
#  Replaced LimitedSharpenFaster with LSFMod
#  Added "SFirst" argument and moved the sharpening to after the degraining by default
#  Changed the default for "Sharp" from 160 to 75
#
#
#  Degrain:  MVDegrain 1, 2, or 3. Each is increasingly stronger and slower.
#  thSAD:    Affects degraining: Low values reduce degraining, high values raise it.
#  BLKSize:  MVAnalsye blksize. See MVTools documentation for details.
#  Overlap:  MVAnalyse overlap. Must be even & <= BLKSize/2. Higher values are better & slower.
#  Pel:      MVAnalyse subpixel accuracy. Higher values give better MVs and lowers speed. 
#  Precise:  Recalculate. It's quite a bit slower.
#  Limit:    Limits max MVDegrain change. Decrease if you experience artifacts.
#  TrueM:    Enables truemotion.
#  GlobalM:  Disables global motion.
#  Exp:      Limited->Full range expansion for MAnalyse search. Set false for full range source. Default true.
#  SBits:    For bit depths > 8, use the same bit depth for MAnalyse search as the source. Default false.
#  BitD:     Bit depth for MAnalyse search when SBits=false. Max = source bits. Default 8.
#  MT:       Enables internal multithreading.
#  Sharp:    Enables LSFMod sharpening.
#  Str:      LSFMod's sharpening strength. Increase for more sharpening.
#  SS:       Supersampling for LSFMod, values over 1 decrease edge aliasing.
#  Sft:      Dampens LSFMod sharpening (it weakens the sharpening)
#  OShoot:   Sharpening limit, increase it too much and it causes haloing.
#  SFirst:   SFirst=true sharpens before denoising. The default is false.
#

function FastDegrain(clip Source, \
int "Degrain", int "BLKSize", int "thSAD", int "Overlap", int "Pel", bool "Precise", int "Limit", \
bool "TrueM", bool "GlobalM", bool "Exp", bool "SBits", int "BitD", bool "MT", int "lambda", int "pnew", \
bool "Sharp", int "Str", int "SS", int "Sft", int "OShoot", bool "SFirst")  {

Degrain = default(Degrain, 2)            # Degraining method (1 - 3)
thSAD = default(thSAD, 400)              # MVDegrain thSAD
BLKSize = default(BLKSize, 8)            # MAnalyse block size (4, 8, 16)
Overlap = default(Overlap, BLKSize/2)    # MVAnalyse block overlap
Pel = default(Pel, 1)                    # MVAnalyse pel (1, 2, 4)
Limit = default(Limit, 255)              # MVDegrain limit (0 - 255)
Exp = default(Exp, true)                 # Limited->Full range expansion for MAnalyse search
SBits = default(SBits, false)            # Use source bitdepth for MAnalyse search
BitD = default(BitD, 8)                  # Bit depth for MAnalyse search (max = source bits)
MT = default(MT, false)                  # Internal multithreading (through avstp.dll)
Sharp = default(Sharp, false)            # Toggles LSFMod
Str = default(Str, 75)                   # LSFMod strength
SS = default(SS, 1.5)                    # LSFMod supersampling
Sft = default(Sft, 30)                   # LSFMod soft
OShoot = default(OShoot, 1)              # LSFMod overshoot
SFirst = default(SFirst, false)          # Enable sharpening before denoising

AvsVerStrLC = LCase(VersionString())
IsAvsPlus = (FindStr(AvsVerStrLC, "avisynth+") > 0)
IsAvsNeo = (FindStr(AvsVerStrLC, "avisynth neo") > 0)
AvsStrNum = IsAvsPlus || IsAvsNeo ? FindStr(AvsVerStrLC, "(r") + 2 : 0
AvsBuildNum = (AvsStrNum > 2) ? int(value(MidStr(AvsVerStrLC, AvsStrNum))) : 0
IsAvsHBD = (AvsBuildNum > 2294)

Super = Input.MSuper(pel=Pel, mt=MT)
Search = Exp ? Super.ColorYUV(levels="TV->PC") : Super
Search = IsAvsHBD && !SBits && (BitD < BitsPerComponent(Source)) ? Search.ConvertBits(BitD) : Search

bvec1 = (Degrain >= 1) ? MAnalyse(Search, isb=true, delta=1, blksize=BLKSize, overlap=Overlap, \
truemotion=TrueM, global=GlobalM, lambda=lambda, pnew=pnew, mt=MT) : nop()
bvec2 = (Degrain >= 2) ? MAnalyse(Search, isb=true, delta=2, blksize=BLKSize, overlap=Overlap, \
bvec3 = (Degrain >= 3) ? MAnalyse(Search, isb=true, delta=3, blksize=BLKSize, overlap=Overlap, \
bvec4 = (Degrain >= 4) ? MAnalyse(Search, isb=true, delta=4, blksize=BLKSize, overlap=Overlap, \
bvec5 = (Degrain >= 5) ? MAnalyse(Search, isb=true, delta=5, blksize=BLKSize, overlap=Overlap, \
bvec6 = (Degrain >= 6) ? MAnalyse(Search, isb=true, delta=6, blksize=BLKSize, overlap=Overlap, \

fvec1 = (Degrain >= 1) ? MAnalyse(Search, isb=false, delta=1, blksize=BLKSize, overlap=Overlap, \
fvec2 = (Degrain >= 2) ? MAnalyse(Search, isb=false, delta=2, blksize=BLKSize, overlap=Overlap, \
truemotion=TrueM, lambda=lambda, pnew=pnew, global=GlobalM, mt=MT) : nop()
fvec3 = (Degrain >= 3) ? MAnalyse(Search, isb=false, delta=3, blksize=BLKSize, overlap=Overlap, \
fvec4 = (Degrain >= 4) ? MAnalyse(Search, isb=false, delta=4, blksize=BLKSize, overlap=Overlap, \
fvec5 = (Degrain >= 5) ? MAnalyse(Search, isb=false, delta=5, blksize=BLKSize, overlap=Overlap, \
truemotion=TrueM, lambda=lambda, pnew=pnew, global=GlobalM, mt=MT) : nop()
fvec6 = (Degrain >= 6) ? MAnalyse(Search, isb=false, delta=6, blksize=BLKSize, overlap=Overlap, \

Precise ? Eval("""

bvec1 = (Degrain >= 1) ? MRecalculate(Search, bvec1, blksize=BLKSize/2, overlap=Overlap/2, \
thSAD=thSAD/2, truemotion=TrueM, lambda=lambda, pnew=pnew) : nop()
bvec2 = (Degrain >= 2) ? MRecalculate(Search, bvec2, blksize=BLKSize/2, overlap=Overlap/2, \
bvec3 = (Degrain >= 3) ? MRecalculate(Search, bvec3, blksize=BLKSize/2, overlap=Overlap/2, \
bvec4 = (Degrain >= 4) ? MRecalculate(Search, bvec4, blksize=BLKSize/2, overlap=Overlap/2, \
bvec5 = (Degrain >= 5) ? MRecalculate(Search, bvec5, blksize=BLKSize/2, overlap=Overlap/2, \
bvec6 = (Degrain >= 6) ? MRecalculate(Search, bvec6, blksize=BLKSize/2, overlap=Overlap/2, \

fvec1 = (Degrain >= 1) ? MRecalculate(Search, fvec1, blksize=BLKSize/2, overlap=Overlap/2, \
fvec2 = (Degrain >= 2) ? MRecalculate(Search, fvec2, blksize=BLKSize/2, overlap=Overlap/2, \
fvec3 = (Degrain >= 3) ? MRecalculate(Search, fvec3, blksize=BLKSize/2, overlap=Overlap/2, \
fvec4 = (Degrain >= 4) ? MRecalculate(Search, fvec4, blksize=BLKSize/2, overlap=Overlap/2, \
fvec5 = (Degrain >= 5) ? MRecalculate(Search, fvec5, blksize=BLKSize/2, overlap=Overlap/2, \
fvec6 = (Degrain >= 6) ? MRecalculate(Search, fvec6, blksize=BLKSize/2, overlap=Overlap/2, \

""") : nop()

Output = \
(Degrain < 1) ? Input : \
(Degrain == 1) ? \
MDegrain1(Input, Super, bvec1, fvec1, \
thSAD=thSAD, limit=Limit) : \
(Degrain == 2) ? \
MDegrain2(Input, Super, bvec1, fvec1, bvec2, fvec2, \
(Degrain == 3) ? \
MDegrain3(Input, Super, bvec1, fvec1, bvec2, fvec2, bvec3, fvec3, \
(Degrain == 4) ? \
MDegrain4(Input, Super, bvec1, fvec1, bvec2, fvec2, bvec3, fvec3, bvec4, fvec4, \
(Degrain == 5) ? \
MDegrain5(Input, Super, bvec1, fvec1, bvec2, fvec2, bvec3, fvec3, bvec4, fvec4, bvec5, fvec5, \
(Degrain >= 6) ? \
MDegrain6(Input, Super, bvec1, fvec1, bvec2, fvec2, bvec3, fvec3, bvec4, fvec4, bvec5, fvec5, bvec6, fvec6, \
thSAD=thSAD, limit=Limit) : nop()

Output = \
!Sharp || SFirst ? Output : Output.LSFMod(strength=Str, ss_x=SS, ss_y=SS, soft=Sft, overshoot=OShoot)

return Output  }

#            FastDegrainSharp

function FastDegrainSharp(clip Source, \
int "Degrain", int "BLKSize", int "thSAD", int "Overlap", int "Pel", bool "Precise", int "Limit", \
bool "TrueM", bool "GlobalM", bool "Exp", bool "SBits", int "BitD", bool "MT", int "lambda", int "pnew", \
bool "Sharp", int "Str", int "SS", int "Sft", int "OShoot", bool "SFirst")  {

Sharp = default(Sharp, true)

FastDegrain(Source, Degrain, BLKSize, thSAD, Overlap, Pel, Precise, Limit, \
TrueM, GlobalM, Exp, SBits, BitD, lambda, pnew, MT, Sharp, Str, SS, Sft, OShoot, SFirst)  }

Old 9th December 2021, 00:15   #53  |  Link
anton_foy

Quote:
"get more motion blur added in moving parts"

In theory the thSAD is scaled internally to at the changing of block size. So the disadvantages of 16x16 block should be mostly on the angled luma/chroma transients. But large flat enough areas should be identical with 8x8 block. Have you adjust the thSAD value for the best ratio of blur vs degraining ?

For some 'drafting' work the 'PredictorType=4' mode may be used. It is sort of 'checked/refined pel=0.5 (or 0.25?)/ interpolated (predicted) pel = 1' and simply outputs prediction of level 1 without any search at largest and slowest level 0. So it close to use full-HD sized MAnalyse with UHD-1 (4K) sized source for MDegrain. The speed is in theory about 4 times faster. But unfortunately speed of MDegrain itself also not very great yet and with infinitely fast MAnalyse it become main limiting. I hope its stable enough example available at build - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kMc...H8JBx3Pl1/view .
Using optPredictorType=4 require re-adjusting thSAD to about 1.5 times lower because SAD from level 1 (half HV sized) typically lower in compare with level 0.
Thank you! Very interesting. But where can I find any documentation on how to use optPredictorType=4? Is it used in MAnalyse?

Quote:
anton_foy,
Something else you might want to try...
Expanding a limited range source to full range for MAnalyse seems to be common in functions these days. I've been meaning to add it for a while but never got round to it. It might compensate for reducing the bitdepth though. I don't know, but I added some new arguments to FastDegrain and MDegrainNL for MAnalyse bitdepth and range, and while I was at it I added Degrain4/5/6 to FastDegrain, in case you want to encode even slower.
Thank you! That is great, I tried both scripts, FastDegrain works great
Code:
Fastdegrain(degrain=3,bitd=8,globalm=false,thsad=300)
speed = 0.029x so pretty fast! Although it is very different in appearence to my old FastDegrain script because it is softer overall. The MDegrainNL is not working at all sadly I get allocated memory error.
Old 9th December 2021, 00:26   #54  |  Link
DTL

Is it used in MAnalyse?"

Yes. Archive have compiled version SO1_PT4 with hardcoded PredictorType=4 option for users without ability to edit complicated scripts. So you can simply load this dll. It also have some simple optimizations for CPUs up to SSE4.1.
Old 9th December 2021, 00:44   #55  |  Link
anton_foy

Quote:
Is it used in MAnalyse?"

Yes. Archive have compiled version SO1_PT4 with hardcoded PredictorType=4 option for users without ability to edit complicated scripts. So you can simply load this dll. It also have some simple optimizations for CPUs up to SSE4.1.
Yes it works! I get the impression it keeps a little more details but speed is 0.0375x with this script:
Code:
# FastDegrain - MOD #

function FastDegrain( clip src, int "degrain", int "blksize", int "overlap", int "pel", 
 \                    int "thSAD", int "limit", bool "MT")
{
degrain = default( degrain,         2 ) # Degraining method (1 - 3)
blksize = default( blksize,         8 ) # MAnalyse block size (4, 8, 16)
overlap = default( overlap, blksize/2 ) # MVAnalyse block overlap (even, ov<=blksize/2)
pel     = default( pel,             1 ) # MVAnalyse pel (1, 2, 4)
thSAD   = default( thSAD,         400 ) # MVDegrain thSAD
limit   = default( limit,         255 ) # MVDegrain limit (0 - 255)
MT      = default( MT,           false) # Internal multithreading (through avstp.dll)

super8 = src.convertbits(8).ex_KNLMeansCL(D=1, A=2, h=6, s=2, device_type="gpu").MSuper(pel=pel)
bvec3 = (degrain>=3) ? super8.MAnalyse(isb=true, delta=3, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT, PredictorType=4) : NOP()
bvec2 = (degrain>=2) ? super8.MAnalyse(isb=true, delta=2, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT, PredictorType=4) : NOP()
bvec1 = (degrain>=1) ? super8.MAnalyse(isb=true, delta=1, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT, PredictorType=4) : NOP()
fvec1 = (degrain>=1) ? super8.MAnalyse(isb=false, delta=1, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT, PredictorType=4) : NOP()
fvec2 = (degrain>=2) ? super8.MAnalyse(isb=false, delta=2, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT, PredictorType=4) : NOP()
fvec3 = (degrain>=3) ? super8.MAnalyse(isb=false, delta=3, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT, PredictorType=4) : NOP()

return src
}
With this script its 0.0378x. So very close speedwise:

Code:
# FastDegrain - MOD #

function FastDegrain( clip src, int "degrain", int "blksize", int "overlap", int "pel", 
{
overlap = default( overlap, blksize/2 ) # MVAnalyse block overlap (even, ov<=blksize/2)
MT      = default( MT,           false) # Internal multithreading (through avstp.dll)

super8 = src.convertbits(8).ex_KNLMeansCL(D=1, A=2, h=6, s=2, device_type="gpu").MSuper(pel=pel)

return src
}
EDIT: THSAD=200 makes it freeze every time for me.
For a speed check, using my script commenting out everything but convertbits(16), Levels, ConverttoYUV444() and convertbits(10) has a speed of 0.0562x

Last edited by anton_foy; 9th December 2021 at 02:23.
Old 9th December 2021, 03:11   #56  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Code:
Fastdegrain(degrain=3,bitd=8,globalm=false,thsad=300)
speed = 0.029x so pretty fast! Although it is very different in appearence to my old FastDegrain script because it is softer overall.
It's probably related to a truemotion setting (truemotion and global motion are enabled by default). And maybe the reduction in bitdepth or expansion of levels for MAnalyse. You'd need to change them one at a time to find out what's causing it to look softer. There's no reason why the scripts should run at different speeds if the settings are identical.

I downloaded your original script from post # 26. The only changes I made were to add the missing thSAD arguments and the MT argument so I could enable/disable MT easily, and I changed the name to FDegrain so I could put it in the auto-loading folder and run both versions, then I did a comparison with the version I posted yesterday. When the settings are the same they're exactly the same.

Code:
A = FastDegrain(degrain=3, TrueM=true, thsad=300, Sbits=true, Exp=false)
B = FDegrain(degrain=3, thsad=300)
ShowDiff(A, B, Amp=true)

As a side note, enabling internal multithreading definitely changes the output, although when it's enabled for both versions the result is still the same.

Code:
A = FastDegrain(degrain=3, TrueM=true, thsad=300, Sbits=true, Exp=false, MT=true)
B = FDegrain(degrain=3, thsad=300, MT=false)
ShowDiff(A, B, Amp=true)

I ran a couple of test encodes with Exp=true. Expanding the levels for MAnalyse obviously makes a difference. I think it does retain a tad more detail during motion but it probably removes a little less noise during motion too.
The bitrate of the encode was a little lower than with Exp=false for both tests, so I think I'll keep using Exp=true.

Code:
A = FastDegrain(degrain=3, TrueM=true, thsad=300, Sbits=true, Exp=true, MT=false)
B = FDegrain(degrain=3, thsad=300, MT=false)
ShowDiff(A, B, Amp=true)

Quote:
The MDegrainNL is not working at all sadly I get allocated memory error.
I'm not sure what the deal is with MDegrainNL. It's working here. Maybe it relates to the version of MVTools2 you're testing.

Code:
function ShowDiff(clip Clip1, clip Clip2, val "Amp", val "Comp", val "Show")  {

Amp = defined(Amp) && IsInt(Amp) ? ((Amp == 0) ? false : true) : default(Amp, false)
Show = defined(Show) && IsInt(Show) ? ((Show == 0) ? false : true) : default(Show, false)
Comp = defined(Comp) && IsInt(Comp) ? ((Comp == 0) ? false : true) : default(Comp, false)

assert((IsInt(Amp) || IsBool(Amp)) && (IsInt(Comp) || IsBool(Comp)) && (IsInt(Show) || IsBool(Show)), \
" ShowDiff " + chr(10) + """ "Amp", "Comp" & "Show", can only be integer or bool. """ + chr(10) + \
" For Integer: Zero specifies false, and any other integer specifies true. " + chr(10) + \
" For Bool: They be true or false. " + chr(10))

C1 = Clip1.levels(96, 1.0, 160, 96, 160).GreyScale()
C2 = Subtract(Clip1, Clip2)
C3 = !Amp ? C2 : C2.levels(124, 1.0, 131, 0, 255)
C4 = !Show ? C3 : Merge(C1, C3)
C5 = !Comp ? C4 : Compare(Clip1, Clip2, show_graph=true)

return C5  }
Code:
function FDegrain( clip src, int "degrain", int "blksize", int "overlap", int "pel", 
{
MT      = default( MT,          false ) # Internal multithreading (through avstp.dll)

super = src.MSuper(pel=pel, mt=MT)
bvec3 = (degrain>=3) ? super.MAnalyse(isb=true, delta=3, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT) : NOP()
bvec2 = (degrain>=2) ? super.MAnalyse(isb=true, delta=2, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT) : NOP()
bvec1 = (degrain>=1) ? super.MAnalyse(isb=true, delta=1, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT) : NOP()
fvec1 = (degrain>=1) ? super.MAnalyse(isb=false, delta=1, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT) : NOP()
fvec2 = (degrain>=2) ? super.MAnalyse(isb=false, delta=2, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT) : NOP()
fvec3 = (degrain>=3) ? super.MAnalyse(isb=false, delta=3, blksize=blksize, overlap=overlap, mt=MT) : NOP()

src = (degrain==1) ? src.MDegrain1(super, bvec1, fvec1, thSAD=thSAD, limit=limit, mt=MT) : src
src = (degrain==2) ? src.MDegrain2(super, bvec1, fvec1, bvec2, fvec2, thSAD=thSAD, limit=limit, mt=MT) : src
src = (degrain>=3) ? src.MDegrain3(super, bvec1, fvec1, bvec2, fvec2, bvec3, fvec3, thSAD=thSAD, limit=limit, mt=MT) : src

return src
}

Last edited by hello_hello; 9th December 2021 at 10:15.
Old 9th December 2021, 10:06   #57  |  Link
DTL

THSAD=200 makes it freeze"

Something very strange happens. Adjusting thSAD should not cause any visible change in speed or freeze. Also typical adjustments steps may be 50..25 or less to finetune of noise removing vs detail preservation.

The speed still very low - may you do not run avs+ mt with Prefetch() at the end of script ? May your system is too low on RAM to process UHD and system running in swapping pages to slow HDD ?

Last edited by DTL; 9th December 2021 at 14:14.
Old 9th December 2021, 13:44   #58  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

With UHD resolutions, MVTools functions and Prefetch, you may need to increase the maximum cache size from the default to avoid any performance hits.
Old 9th December 2021, 15:38   #59  |  Link
anton_foy

Quote:
THSAD=200 makes it freeze"

Something very strange happens. Adjusting thSAD should not cause any visible change in speed or freeze. Also typical adjustments steps may be 50..25 or less to finetune of noise removing vs detail preservation.

The speed still very low - may you do not run avs+ mt with Prefetch() at the end of script ? May your system is too low on RAM to process UHD and system running in swapping pages to slow HDD ?
Yes it is strange even without any filters (except levels) it is running at 0.06x.
My RAM is 32gb ddr3 or do you refer to VRAM?
Old 9th December 2021, 15:40   #60  |  Link
anton_foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
With UHD resolutions, MVTools functions and Prefetch, you may need to increase the maximum cache size from the default to avoid any performance hits.
Oh thanks but how do I do that? I will in the coming days recieve a better cpu aswell but I also think something else is the bottleneck.