Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 18th September 2013, 12:50   #1  |  Link
dumdum23

Picture boundary in HEVC/H265

Hi,
As per some papers on hevc standard:
"the boundaries of the picture are defined in units of the minimum allowed luma CB size. As a result, at the right andbottom edges of the picture, some CTUs may cover regions that are partly outside the boundaries of the picture. This condition is detected by the decoder, and the CTU quadtree is implicitly split as necessary to reduce the CB size to the point where the entire CB will fit into the picture"

Can anyone please explain me this? I mean shouldn't the boundary be detected in terms of number of CTBs only?

Thanks in advance
dumdum23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 14:57   #2  |  Link
Parabola

Hopefully a picture helps. CTUs (usually more accurate name than CTB) are relatively large and often overhang the bottom of the active image. So a conformance window is specified in the headers.

Parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 18:48   #3  |  Link
pieter3d

Not quite, Here is a picture that may make more sense:

You can see the CTBs that are partially outside the right and bottom edge have implied splits (dashed lines), and the CUs that fall outside completely are simply skipped (not coded)
pieter3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 19:32   #4  |  Link
Parabola

Pieter shows coding_quadtree syntax element in blue, coding_tree_unit (CTU) rows and columns indicated with numbers. I like the use of dashed lines to show splits that were inferred rather than signalled in the bitstream.

My overlay shows slice_segment_data (yellow), tiles (with ticks), coding_tree_unit's (CTUs/thick orange) and coding_unit (CUs/thin orange). In our software the overlays respond to hover/click/zoom, i.e. interactive.

As per Pieter's dashed lines, if your source dimensions are not an integer multiple of CTU size then CQT splits will be inferred as appropriate at the right and/or bottom of picture such that no CU is bisected by the right or bottom picture edge.

If your source is not an integer multiple of min CU size then you additionally have to specify a conformance window which is, IIRC, a luma-pixel-precision crop.
Parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 19:40   #5  |  Link
pieter3d

Conformance window is in 2-pixel units in the syntax, since otherwise you'd have half chroma pels.
pieter3d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hevc, hevc. h.265, video, video codec