Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 24th June 2021, 07:35   #1  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Google Chrome recovering sessions

Why such a "stupid" question here, when the internet is full of guides?

Well, none of them works. Basically, 90% of them simply instruct the (assumingly idiot user) to click on the ⋮ in the right and use History... duh?
Other 6-7% go further and even suggest to use whatever extension to Chrome like SessionBuddy. Nice, but what to do when you haven't thought of this before?
Finally, the very few go deep into the details and provide a list of files and their corresponding directories, that need to be saved (if possible) and backuped (if saved). Funnily enough, google keep changing the folders and system files and stuff constantly, which render many guides obsolete and useless (one might even think of a conspiracy here).

My version is 91.0.4472.77.

Now the issue.
I have saved the session* and tabs* files, restarted the Chrome for a presentation (the public should not see the private tabs), then thought of replacing the stored tabs and sessions using the backuped files.
The process was simply I thought - close/shutdown chrome, backup sess/tab/ldb files, restart chrome and cancel the recovery thus "clean" windows, do the presentation, close/shutdown chrome, erase/replace the saved files, restart chrome again in the old environment.

Chrome refused to recognise the saved files (silently, no error message given, just ignored them), and the History function listed the pages used that day.
I deleted everything bearing the date of that day (including logs, ldb etc.), replaced once again the session/tabs files. Chrome was of course shut down during those operations (I could have not been able to delete some of these files).
Upon launching the damn Chrome still did not find anything and stubbornly lists the pages of that damn day (that should have been erased from its memory).

Just another thing, there are no longer Last_session or last_tabs or whatever directories the "old" guides mention, the files are kept in UserData/Default/Sessions.

Has anyone an idea how to make it work?
How to force chrome to accept the saved sessions back into the system?

Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 17:54   #2  |  Link
GMJCZP

Hi, haven't you considered restoring the system where Chrome was working properly?
If the restoration is not possible, you may have suffered an infection, I could recommend using a program like AdwCleaner (and/or MalwareByte's Anti Malware), or something more advanced like Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, but a forum like Bleeping Computer could help you better.

GMJCZP's Arsenal

Last edited by GMJCZP; 24th June 2021 at 17:57.
GMJCZP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2021, 09:20   #3  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Thank you for the answer.

No, it was not an infection nor a malfunction. And even that, I still need a solution, because cleaning the computer does not bring back the tabs/sessions

I simply want to know how one can restore working sessions/tabs.

There is also a guide that uses some python commands to parse the content of s* and t* files and output the addresses, one by one, into a TXT file - then one has to take each line from that file, copy the address, create a new tab/window, paste the copied address, repeat da capo. I can do it by hand, without the need for yet another programming medium on my computer.
I hoped for an automatic solution, like Menu->Tools->Advanced->Import Tabs
Old 25th June 2021, 15:41   #4  |  Link
GMJCZP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Thank you for the answer.

No, it was not an infection nor a malfunction. And even that, I still need a solution, because cleaning the computer does not bring back the tabs/sessions
Once again I ask: can not restore the system to a point where Chrome was with the session working correctly?

GMJCZP's Arsenal
Old 26th June 2021, 14:56   #5  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Well, I read that, but I disregard it as a solution. It was also what the IT dept recommended - we can back up your computer for that date minus 1. What happen to the work I have done on other tools since? Well, save it beforehand. No thanks.

It would be like suggesting reinstalling windows in order to open a MS office word document

So far nobody lost tabs in chrome? Am I the only one?
Old 26th June 2021, 15:56   #6  |  Link
GMJCZP

To get a solution to any problem you have to have an open mind.
One of the favorite targets of Malware / viruses are browsers, if the ENTIRE system is not evaluated to confirm that it has not suffered an infection, and possibly damage to one of its components, it will be useless to try to use said component if it has not been disinfected and / or repaired. I recommend verifying that your system is clean with a full system scan with a good Anti virus plus a good AntiSpyware like MBAM. I warn that if the infection is positive, it is necessary to try to repair the damage.
The problem is that you have not even said that you have scanned your system with a security tool, I already told you why you should. If your system is infected and Chrome attacked I dare to tell you that you will not be able to do anything if you do not do what you have to do.

GMJCZP's Arsenal
Old 29th June 2021, 12:50   #7  |  Link
Ghitulescu

I think you misunderstood my problem.

I, me, myself and INTENTIONALLY ruined the Chrome session system for I wanted to present to foreign people a presentation from my OWN PRIVATE laptop.

Beforehand I saved what I thought it was the storage system with the intention to put it back and start as it was supposed to at DAY-1.

Why I did it? Because I did that before, some years ago and it worked.
Meanwhile Chrome is upgraded to a very new version.
Now I am seeking help with this new "improved" version.

Tags
chrome, recovery, sessions, tabs