Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th September 2008, 01:42   #1  |  Link
themustangguy

x264 Questions From A New User (h264enc)

Now that storage space has gotten cheap, I want to start encoding all my DVDs to h264. I have read through this forum and have a few questions before I get started.

First, some information.
- I am using linux (Ubuntu 8.04 64bit).
- I plan to use a 1 pass/CRF 18 because I don't need consistent file sizes.
- I have been using the h264enc script.

Questions

1) Is h264enc the right way to go or should I be doing everything myself? I am totally new to encoding, this script helps out a lot. I am worried however that I may become too reliant on the script and never learn how to do it from scratch. Is this something I should be concerned with?

2) Which container? From what I have been reading, Mp4 or MKV seems to be the choice. I originally was going to do Mp4 so I could stream to a Xbox 360. Since the 360 does not support 5.1 surround in either of those formats however, it seems either container would do.

3) Which audio codec? h264enc defaults to LC-ACC so I have been using that. I want to keep the 5.1 surround, so is that the way to go?

4) What is Temporal Noise Shaping and should I be using it? I have searched for this term on these forums but cannot find anything of use. Is it known by another term, or just not used?

5) Should I be using a custom matrix? I have not messed with these at all. I do remember seeing a post that claimed custom matrices are no longer needed, but I didn't read too far into it.

6) Should I be doing any pre- or post- processing? Again, not having any experience, I have no idea.

Thanks.
themustangguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 01:55   #2  |  Link
linyx
Un-Registered User

Welcome to the forum.

I like AviDemux, don't let the name fool you, it works for x264 and can be installed through synaptic package manager. I would also suggest AAC or AC3 audio in an mkv container.
linyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 02:02   #3  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by themustangguy View Post
5) Should I be using a custom matrix? I have not messed with these at all. I do remember seeing a post that claimed custom matrices are no longer needed, but I didn't read too far into it.
Custom matrices were used to exchange one kind of artifacts versus another. For example: Get a sharper image (less smoothing), but also produce more blocking artifacts. The new psychovisual improvements in x264 (namely Psy RDO and Psy Trellis) make custom matrices more or less obsolete. Thanks to Psy optimizations you can keep much more details without the drawbacks of custom matrices. So better keep away from custom matrices, except for very special purposes. But make sure you get a recent (patched) x264 build with Psy RDO enabled. This also applies to Avidemux (you'll need a patched "libx264" file).

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 4th September 2008 at 02:06.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 15:28   #4  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Hi. I Have a few questions too.

Should I use TV->PC levels conversion, for example --fullrange option in x264, durring encoding DVD (mpeg2), or I should leave it as is and apply TV->PC shader in MPC-HC while playing or something like that?

And if I have h264 stream with fullrange levels, can further conversion TV->PC (in decoder settings, shader etc.) affect my video and make it even brighter?

x264 option --fullrange it is only info for decoder?
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2008, 18:05   #5  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

--fullrange is only a signaling option. it wont actually do the conversion.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
h264enc, x264