Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 19th March 2024, 14:37   #2021  |  Link
blob2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
The issue is that it happened on a around 4 years old MKV, i remuxed. The old MKV was "fine", the new not, so... Aside MKVToolnix, i don't see anything else...
I have always had the same problems, but on hardware players (PVR, BD players etc.).
I always resolve with these settings:

https://gitlab.com/mbunkus/mkvtoolni...y-with-players

in .ini file of MKVtoolnix, "Defaults" section:
Code:
defaultAdditionalMergeOptions=--clusters-in-meta-seek --disable-lacing --disable-track-statistics-tags --disable-language-ietf --engage no_cue_duration --engage no_cue_relative_position --engage no_simpleblocks

Last edited by blob2500; 19th March 2024 at 14:43.
blob2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2024, 19:36   #2022  |  Link
jpsdr

Ohhhh...
Very interesting.
I'll just try for now just to remove the "cue", as it's something new, so it can explain the difference between the at least 4 years mux and the mux now.
Old 19th March 2024, 19:37   #2023  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

I've had --engage no_cue_duration --engage no_cue_relative_position --disable-track-statistics-tags in Additional options for years, no playback issues with various devices.
Old 20th March 2024, 08:34   #2024  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
I've had --engage no_cue_duration --engage no_cue_relative_position --disable-track-statistics-tags in Additional options for years, no playback issues with various devices.
+, the same.
Old 20th March 2024, 19:09   #2025  |  Link
jpsdr

The "cue" was indeed the guilty, i remuxed with the option removing them, and my friend told me that all issues were gone.
Thanks for these informations.
Old 27th March 2024, 17:35   #2026  |  Link
Perenista

Question: how do I make MKVToolnix never assume anything in this field? (FILE TITLE)

I want this to be always blank for 100% files I edit, no matter what was there before (of course if it was already blank, it shouldn't be filled with anything; if wasn't, MKVToolnix should not add anything new).
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2024, 11:46   #2027  |  Link
WontonNoodle

Question about remuxing discs: why does directly remuxing with mkvtoolnix via the playlist file result in different audio delays vs demuxing with eac3to then remuxing with mkvtoolnix? And which is correct? This was a seamless branching disc btw.

I demuxed with eac3to which showed a -9ms delay for the dts track. "[a03] Applying DTS delay..." was in the log so I believe it applied the -9ms delay to the dts track.
Directly remuxing with mkvtoolnix reports a +2ms delay for the dts track in the resulting mkv in mediainfo.

I extracted the track and put both into audacity, and it does show a 11 ms difference between the tracks, with the direct remux being 11 ms after the eac3to demux track.
Which is correct and the better way to rip discs?

EDIT: i've also found makemkv to be the worst when it comes to audio sync, it seems like files progressively get out of sync with makemkv.

Last edited by WontonNoodle; 3rd April 2024 at 11:50.
WontonNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2024, 12:33   #2028  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

This is a question of duplicated Audio frames which are removed by eac3to/DGDemux.
MTX is not able to remove this frames.

For seamless branching discs you could try my chapterEditor which is special designed for this task.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2024, 12:37   #2029  |  Link
WontonNoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
This is a question of duplicated Audio frames which are removed by eac3to/DGDemux.
MTX is not able to remove this frames.

For seamless branching discs you could try my chapterEditor which is special designed for this task.
Ah I see. Will try chaptereditor thanks. Btw is the eac3to demux then remux delay correct in any case? Or should I just use chaptereditor for best results?
Old 3rd April 2024, 18:20   #2030  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

cE uses eac3to in the background, but keep in mind there is a new version of eac3to.
The result with or without cE is equal to use eac3to separate and mux manually with MTX.

But a disc with seamless branching has often more than one Edition of the movie. Only with cE you can create a Multi-Edition-MKV of this disc.
Old 3rd April 2024, 20:54   #2031  |  Link
WontonNoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
cE uses eac3to in the background, but keep in mind there is a new version of eac3to.
The result with or without cE is equal to use eac3to separate and mux manually with MTX.

But a disc with seamless branching has often more than one Edition of the movie. Only with cE you can create a Multi-Edition-MKV of this disc.
I tried chaptereditor (i linked mkvtoolnix and eac3to only? not sure if that was correct). It resulted in a mkv with video frames that didnt match up with the bluray disc. The resulting dts track in audacity gave a 329 ms delay near the middle of the movie.

I also tried dgdemux you mentioned and it resulted in a 46 ms delay in the same spot near the middle of the movie. I didnt mux video with this so I didn't check where the frames lined up.

The odd thing is that every track starts at the same ms point so they just progressively get out of sync at different rates. I didn't realize this until now so I have to check the mkvtoolnix track again for sync in the middle of the movie. I'm still not sure which method generates a correctly synced audio track for seamless branching discs.

btw what im trying to do is mux the dts audio from Avatar to my UHD Avatar rip which only has the theatrical cut.
Old 3rd April 2024, 23:08   #2032  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by WontonNoodle View Post
I tried chaptereditor (i linked mkvtoolnix and eac3to only? not sure if that was correct).
Maybe you need to set the BDSup2Sub path.

Quote:
It resulted in a mkv with video frames that didnt match up with the bluray disc. The resulting dts track in audacity gave a 329 ms delay near the middle of the movie.
Sounds like you don't demux the Audio stream. Also in cE you must demux the Audios(it's only a click).

Quote:
I also tried dgdemux you mentioned and it resulted in a 46 ms delay in the same spot near the middle of the movie. I didnt mux video with this so I didn't check where the frames lined up.
Yes the finial mkv is the important thing. 46ms is more than one Video frame.

Quote:
The odd thing is that every track starts at the same ms point so they just progressively get out of sync at different rates. I didn't realize this until now so I have to check the mkvtoolnix track again for sync in the middle of the movie. I'm still not sure which method generates a correctly synced audio track for seamless branching discs.
This is a hugh topic and so easy to explain.
You can read this thread.

A movie with several m2ts files, will be problematic. This is a nature of Codec design and Matroska design.

Quote:
btw what im trying to do is mux the dts audio from Avatar to my UHD Avatar rip which only has the theatrical cut.
Also a big problem. to combine tracks from different discs/sources. Only manually things like Audio re-encoding could be help.
Old 3rd April 2024, 23:15   #2033  |  Link
WontonNoodle

ok so chaptereditor and mkvtoolnix results in mismatching frames for the video compared to the disc
dgdemux and eac3to result in the same frames as the disc
however dgdemux dts track progressively gets more and more out of sync (starts with 0 difference, then 11 ms delay, then up to 54 ms delay vs the eac3to track as the movie goes on)

so either the dgdemux or eac3to track is correct? any ideas as to which one is the right one.
i also tried on a non branching disc and mkvtoolnix, dgdemux, and eac3to all result in the same audio sync.

EDIT: thanks ill read that thread
Old 3rd April 2024, 23:24   #2034  |  Link
markfilipak

Quote:
... dgdemux dts track progressively gets more and more out of sync (starts with 0 difference, then 11 ms delay, then up to 54 ms delay vs the eac3to track as the movie goes on)
What makes you believe that? What indicates DTS to you? "starts with 0 difference" means what to you -- difference between DTS and what?

--Mark.
markfilipak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2024, 23:29   #2035  |  Link
WontonNoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfilipak View Post
What makes you believe that? What indicates DTS to you? "starts with 0 difference" means what to you -- difference between DTS and what?

--Mark.
I loaded all the dts tracks that were demuxed in audacity and shift+z to see the time differences between the tracks at different durations. The tracks are the exact same sonically so it's easy to see where the waves are supposed to match. The delay is with respect to the eac3to demuxed track. The only problem is I dont know which one is correct.

EDIT: I just did some quick frame by frame resuming from the remuxes vs the disc on some gunfire near the end of the movie and the eac3to track is the correct one FYI. the dgdemux audio is delayed by a frame. thanks all

Last edited by WontonNoodle; 3rd April 2024 at 23:45.
Old 3rd April 2024, 23:46   #2036  |  Link
markfilipak

Quote:
I loaded all the dts tracks that were demuxed in audacity and shift+z to see the time differences between the tracks at different durations. The tracks are the exact same sonically so it's easy to see where the waves are supposed to match. The delay is with respect to the eac3to demuxed track. The only problem is I dont know which one is correct.
There is no such thing as a DTS track. Why are you writing "DTS"? I mean no disrespect. I mean to help. But "DTS" doesn't mean what you think it means.

Edit: You probably mean PTS. So you say that frame PTSs get "out of sync". Out of sync with what? With what it started as? Look at the frame rates? Do they differ?

Last edited by markfilipak; 3rd April 2024 at 23:54. Reason: more info
Old 3rd April 2024, 23:49   #2037  |  Link
WontonNoodle

Quote:
There is no such thing as a DTS track. Why are you writing "DTS"? I mean no disrespect. I mean to help. But "DTS" doesn't mean what you think it means.
What? When you demux you get a .dts track and you can load all the channels in audacity via ffmpeg
Old 3rd April 2024, 23:59   #2038  |  Link
markfilipak

Quote:
What? When you demux you get a .dts track and you can load all the channels in audacity via ffmpeg
Is that a file extension? 'something.dts', like 'something.mp4' or 'something.mkv'?
Old 4th April 2024, 07:32   #2039  |  Link
rco133

Quote:
ok so chaptereditor and mkvtoolnix results in mismatching frames for the video compared to the disc
dgdemux and eac3to result in the same frames as the disc
however dgdemux dts track progressively gets more and more out of sync (starts with 0 difference, then 11 ms delay, then up to 54 ms delay vs the eac3to track as the movie goes on)

so either the dgdemux or eac3to track is correct? any ideas as to which one is the right one.
i also tried on a non branching disc and mkvtoolnix, dgdemux, and eac3to all result in the same audio sync.

EDIT: thanks ill read that thread
Hi.

This may be becoming a bit off topic for MKVToolnix thread.

The author of dgdemux/dgindenv have put a lot of effort into getting seamless branching audio and subs to be in sync, and according to the author I think a maximum of 10-15 ms or so should be the result. If you find that the delay for dgdemux is 54 ms off, I am sure he would like to know.

There are also some other tools that can handle seamless branching discs, but due to technical limitations, you will always end up with some slight delay.

Btw, the "old" eac3to versions below 3.40 all have various issues with seamless branching discs. Especially subs getting way out of sync at the end.

I am sure you can find long threads about it here, and it has also been discussed in lenth on the dgdemux/dgindexnv forum.

rco133
rco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2024, 08:55   #2040  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:

Edit: You probably mean PTS. So you say that frame PTSs get "out of sync". Out of sync with what? With what it started as? Look at the frame rates? Do they differ?
markfilipak: you're talking about timestamps (DTS = decode timestamp, PTS = presentation timestamp), whereas WontonNoodle's talking about the audio codec family called DTS. A "DTS track" is therefore an audio track encoded with one of the various DTS codecs.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
matroska