Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 14th February 2014, 01:36   #17041  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

My active speakers cost me $300 almost 10 years ago, and they still amaze me. If you do your research you can come across some awesome bang-for-your-buck active speakers.

QB
Old 14th February 2014, 07:18   #17042  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
My active speakers cost me $300 almost 10 years ago, and they still amaze me. If you do your research you can come across some awesome bang-for-your-buck active speakers.
I agree. My 15 year old Midiland S2 speakers (two satellites and a subwoofer) sound as good as my main system. I only listen to stereo (don't care for surround), so they do me just fine. Plus, they're built like tanks.

P.S. Midiland changed their name to M-Audio a couple years after I bought my speakers. They certainly know PC audio--I have an M-Audio sound card, too, that records and plays at 24/192, and I bought it over 10 years ago.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 08:16   #17043  |  Link
gendouhydeist

Hi guys, I'm having a audio hiccups on windows 8 which is not happening on windows 7 using my HDTV through S/PDIF (HDMI).
I tried to isolate the issue, it turns out when I play video on my HDTV and only using speakers there's no hiccups at all.
So I uninstall my audio driver and use the windows high definition driver but still having the same problem.

So now how can I help to fix this one or how can I provide dump file for this.
Thanks!
gendouhydeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 09:58   #17044  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendouhydeist View Post
I'm having a audio hiccups on windows 8 which is not happening on windows 7
I would suggest to check DPC.
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 10:40   #17045  |  Link
DragonQ

I haven't yet found an application that properly measures DPC latency in Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. Something changed from Windows 7 and they all seem to report values that are too high.
Old 14th February 2014, 11:14   #17046  |  Link
gendouhydeist

In DPC website:

Quote:
Windows 8 Compatibility: The DPC latency utility runs on Windows 8 but does not show correct values. The output suggests that the Windows 8 kernel performs badly and introduces a constant latency of one millisecond, which is not the case in practice. DPCs in the Windows 8 kernel behave identical to Windows 7. The utility produces incorrect results because the implementation of kernel timers has changed in Windows 8, which causes a side effect with the measuring algorithm used by the utility. Thesycon is working on a new version of the DPC latency utility and will make it available on this site as soon as it is finished.
As I said it was fine on Windows 7 not in Windows 8, also the latency issues it based on hardware implementation not software.
Old 14th February 2014, 13:57   #17047  |  Link
Vasilich

ever checked this one http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon ?
It claims to support also w8+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendouhydeist View Post
As I said it was fine on Windows 7 not in Windows 8, also the latency issues it based on hardware implementation not software.
Bad drivers also could cause DPC delays, so - you can make it worse also with software

Last edited by Vasilich; 14th February 2014 at 14:02. Reason: added note
Vasilich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 15:54   #17048  |  Link
DragonQ

I've tried LatencyMon and it also shows way too high values for DPC latency on Windows 8/8.1.
Old 14th February 2014, 17:02   #17049  |  Link
gendouhydeist

If I have bad drivers not only playing movies on mpc+madvr+lavfilters would be affected. It would be all applications that output sounds.
As I said it was fine on windows 7 but not windows 8, it is an isolated issue.
Old 14th February 2014, 17:26   #17050  |  Link
Qaq
AV heretic

Isolated? So you tried other audio decoders, splitters?
Qaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 19:10   #17051  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
The point is to get lossless decoding, without pairing LAV with dtsdecoder.dll you wouldn't... I have Logitech z-5300e speakers (analog 5.1) paired with a SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro and DTS-HDMA sounds far superior to the DTS core.

QB
This is not what I'm asking:

Quote:
There's still no way to decode DTS-HD MA in 64-bit players due to the Arcsoft dll being 32-bit only, right?
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 19:19   #17052  |  Link
clsid

Yes, there is no 64-bit decoder available yet. But there is a little hope. Someone on the libav-devel mailinglist might be doing an attempt to implement a decoder for DTS-HD Master Audio. If that is a success, then anything based on Libav/FFmpeg, including LAV Filters, will be able to decode it.
Old 14th February 2014, 19:36   #17053  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
What do you mean? They are totally different things and you need both. A soundcard either sends audio to active speakers (i.e. with their own power supply and amplifier), or to an AVR which will amplify the audio signal and send it to passive speakers (among many other things). In the former case, you'd generally use 3.5 mm cables, in the latter case you'd use HDMI (or TOSLINK if you were feeling nostalgic).
Well technically, giosa is correct in that if you use an AVR with HDMI, you don't need a sound card in the DAC sense. Calling an HDMI output a "sound card" is kinda weird since it doesn't actually do anything except "repackage" the PCM stream for transport over HDMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
IMO active speakers are a total rip-off when it comes to quality and value.
I strongly disagree with that statement and think it's actually the opposite. One good example is the JBL Professional 3 Series which have an amazing performance/price ratio. Besides, there are very good reasons to prefer active speakers over passive speakers in general.

Last edited by e-t172; 14th February 2014 at 19:45.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 19:45   #17054  |  Link
DarkSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Yes, there is no 64-bit decoder available yet. But there is a little hope. Someone on the libav-devel mailinglist might be doing an attempt to implement a decoder for DTS-HD Master Audio. If that is a success, then anything based on Libav/FFmpeg, including LAV Filters, will be able to decode it.
What about other forms of DTS-HD? I'm just curious, and I'm aware that HDMA is the most common variant.
DarkSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 20:02   #17055  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
I strongly disagree with that statement and think it's actually the opposite. One good example is the JBL Professional 3 Series which have an amazing performance/price ratio. Besides, there are very good reasons to prefer active speakers over passive speakers in general.
Just spent 10 minutes writing a reply and the forum lost it because a "token expired". It's off topic anyway so never mind, we can agree to disagree.
Old 14th February 2014, 20:15   #17056  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpace View Post
What about other forms of DTS-HD? I'm just curious, and I'm aware that HDMA is the most common variant.
DTS-HD HRA is already partially supported today.
That is, the extra bitrate extensions and the extra channel extensions can be decoded. Missing is the X96 extension for higher sample rates.

And of course the XLL extension for Lossless is missing, which makes up DTS-HD MA

Last edited by nevcairiel; 14th February 2014 at 21:42.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2014, 21:29   #17057  |  Link
DarkSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
DTS-HD HRA is already partially supported today.
That is, the extra bitrate extensions and the extra channel extensions can be decoded. Missing is the X96 extension for higher sample rates.

And of course the XLL extension for Lossless, which makes up DTS-HD MA
I wasn't even aware of that, thanks for the information! This is good news...
DarkSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 01:42   #17058  |  Link
iSunrise

wrong thread, can be deleted.

Last edited by iSunrise; 15th February 2014 at 01:58.
iSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2014, 08:25   #17059  |  Link
NikosD

@nev

Can you share which is the project you are working right now, regarding LAV filters of course ?
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 01:08   #17060  |  Link
jkauff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikosD View Post
@nev

Can you share which is the project you are working right now, regarding LAV filters of course ?
In case you missed it, nev took a job with JRiver. He hasn't told us what he'll be working on for them, so we don't know whether LAV work will be affected.
jkauff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter