Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 21st September 2013, 21:48   #16041  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

bug: mkv ordered chapters

Hi nev

i found a bug for mkv ordered chapters.

i muxed this chapter.xml with mmg and LAVsplitter shows wrong chaptertimes and duration is too short.

the video plays fine with AVSplitter. right timestamps and duration.

it seems lavsplitter set the starttime of a chapter to the endtime of the next chapter.

the second chapter is missing in LAVsplitter.

i hope its not a big bug.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: 7z chapter.7z (593 Bytes, 35 views)
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 06:17   #16042  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
it seems lavsplitter set the starttime of a chapter to the endtime of the next chapter.
Thats how ordered chapters are supposed to work.
You take the individual chapters and play them one after another, so when the first chapter ends, the second one starts immediately - the start of the second chapter is at the end of the first chapter.

The first chapter is 01:38 long, it plays from 00:00 to 01:38
The second chapter is 07:41 long, it plays from 01:38 to 09:19
etc.

Any content which is not part of the chapters is skipped, which means the duration of the movie gets shorter if the chapters define it that way.

I see nothing wrong with the behaviour of LAV Splitter and this XML file.
The second chapter is skipped because it has the same start and end time, so there is no content in the chapter.

If you disable ordered chapters in the XML, LAV would behave the same way as AV Splitter. But with ordered chapters, the behaviour is correct.
Are you sure you really want ordered chapters? Ordered chapters define a fixed timeline how the movie is to be played, they can skip parts of the movie, or repeat parts, or re-order parts, they define a complete virtual timeline for the movie which can be completely different to the file played from start to back.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 22nd September 2013 at 06:21.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 06:49   #16043  |  Link
whurlston

From the looks of it, the xml has the start time of the second chapter wrong. It looks like it should be 00:01:38.473000000
whurlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 10:36   #16044  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Is anyone running EMET successfully with LAV? MPC-HC recently got a work-around for a problem that made it impossible to run it with EMET, but it still crashes for me. When uninstalling LAV and using Haali + MS decoders instead, the crash does not occur.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 12:30   #16045  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

ok nev

i think your are right.
I'm confused, Haali shows other timestamps too. 3 different splitters and 3 different results ....mmh

the second chapter is a test, i would to know what happens when starttime = endtime. i know there is no duration for this chapter.
the chapter will be ignored by LAV (and thats the right behaviour?). so the bug is at AVSplitter and Haali?
Old 22nd September 2013, 12:32   #16046  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

There isn't exactly a full specification how to handle every special case, but if a chapter has zero duration, its currently not taken into account for ordered chapters in LAV.
Old 22nd September 2013, 12:44   #16047  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

ok it make sense to skip chapters with zero duration.

Haali added a playtime(starttime stamp) from the second chapter to the virtuell timeline. i think thats not correct.

so LAV work best at the moment.

damn, no splitter in the world avalible that work correct for all situations.

Last edited by hubblec4; 22nd September 2013 at 17:29.
Old 22nd September 2013, 13:38   #16048  |  Link
gilic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Is anyone running EMET successfully with LAV? MPC-HC recently got a work-around for a problem that made it impossible to run it with EMET, but it still crashes for me. When uninstalling LAV and using Haali + MS decoders instead, the crash does not occur.
I've been using the beta of EMET4 without problems.

edit: I checked the settings and only SEHOP is unticked for the MPC-HC process.

Last edited by gilic; 22nd September 2013 at 13:43.
gilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2013, 13:49   #16049  |  Link
sneaker_ger

That does not seem to do it for me, running EMET 4 final.
Old 23rd September 2013, 08:26   #16050  |  Link
mecedo

Maybe the problem is that LavAudio ignores "Dialog Normalization" metadata in AC3 stream? When "SPDiF Passtrough" is used then volume is set properly. But when LAV Audio decodes AC3 stream then there's no difference in volume between these two samples:
https://hotfile.com/dl/246928760/b15...ation.ac3.html
https://hotfile.com/dl/246929630/9b4...ation.ac3.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecedo View Post
I've found one problem. If LavAudio is used with Reclock (checked option: "Use AC3 Encoding") then audio is very loud and distorted. I don't know if it's problem with Reclock or LavAudio so I posted this bug in Reclock forum too. But with another audio decoder problem doesn't exist so I think this is problem with LavAudio.

And I've observed that using "Apply DRC on formats that support it" prevents distortions but it's not solution.
mecedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 22:17   #16051  |  Link
Armada
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilic View Post
I've been using the beta of EMET4 without problems.

edit: I checked the settings and only SEHOP is unticked for the MPC-HC process.
So what is your filter graph like? Can you turn off EMET, play a file and show me the contents of the Play > Filters menu?
Armada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 23:14   #16052  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Actually, the latest LAV from 23-09-2013 CCCP experimental seems to fix it. (It also adds colorimetry signaling for e.g. EVR, if anyone wants to test.) I suppose any latest git version would have done the trick? Or could this be compiling related?

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 23rd September 2013 at 23:28.
Old 23rd September 2013, 23:16   #16053  |  Link
Owyn

Just a newb question:
Should I enable LAV Splitter in MPC HC? I enabled LAV video\audio decoders for 10bit video to work, but why do I need LAV splitter there? I tried with it and without it and didn't notice anything different playing an .mkv video file + external audio .mka one.
Owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2013, 23:29   #16054  |  Link
gilic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
Actually, the latest LAV from 23-09-2013 CCCP experimental seems to fix it. (It also adds colorimetry signaling for e.g. EVR, if anyone wants to test.) I suppose any latest git version would have done the trick?
Well I was already using the latest MPC-HC nightly build.
@Armada Are you still interested in my filter graph? Just now pondering how to actually turn off EMET again...
gilic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 03:44   #16055  |  Link
Mangix
Audiophile

I'm pretty sure that EMET is not intended for specific use-case applications like MPC-HC. General use-case things like browsers are more valuable. Although Google Chrome has problems with EMET'S EAF mitigation.
Mangix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 08:46   #16056  |  Link
sneaker_ger

I don't really want to discuss what EMET is "intended for", but media players are regularly affected by security holes and are regularly used for playing non-self-created contents as well so it can make sense to enable it for them. The only reason Microsoft has not enabled this by default is for compatibility reasons. This is my last post on the usefulness of EMET for players, not least because it is off-topic in this thread.
Old 24th September 2013, 08:58   #16057  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilic View Post
Well I was already using the latest MPC-HC nightly build.
The internal version of LAV included in the MPC-HC 7851 nightly crashes for me as well. Are these based on the latest git or on the latest stable release? Does anyone have a link to a build of the latest git if they aren't based on those?

/edit:
Ok, I found roytam's builds and they crash as well. I asked the CCCP guys what could be the cause and where we can find the source.

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 24th September 2013 at 09:06.
Old 24th September 2013, 09:07   #16058  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Not absolutely the latest, but close (build last night for testing)
http://files.1f0.de/lavf/LAVFilters-...3-g4eb76e7.zip

The only difference might be that CCCP builds with VS2010 and MPC-HC builds with VS2012, on the other hand, 0.58.2 release was also build with VS2010

Last edited by nevcairiel; 24th September 2013 at 09:12.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 09:42   #16059  |  Link
sneaker_ger

That one also crashes.
Old 24th September 2013, 10:45   #16060  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Nothing special on their side it seems:
Quote:
I think TheRyuu had EMET installed and MPC-HC started crashing for him, but that got (more or less) fixed on MPC-HC's side. The new hooking library and how it was used in MPC-HC made it herp a derp. We've not had any LAV related EMET crashes here at the CCCP so far.

The only other change is what came with the 2013-09-17 beta that makes LAV clean up after itself a bit better (tray icons etc.), otherwise the "external as internal" stuff would crash if LAV's tray icon was enabled because MPC-HC was so quick to kill/unload the library. As far as compilation goes, LAV is still built with VS2010. MPC-HC actually uses VS2012 U3 now as its build.bat is used.

The source code, as always, is available on my github repository.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter