Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 16th April 2013, 11:45   #14841  |  Link
Niyawa

I see. Thanks guys.
Old 16th April 2013, 13:02   #14842  |  Link
mindbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyawa View Post
I tried a search but nothing definitive came up, so I'm posting this question here.

"My friends sometimes come over and we often watch anime when they do, so I have my TV hooked up to my computer via HDMI and I put the anime on that for easier watching. When I put the player on the TV, should I switch LAV RGB output levels to TV (16-235) and then back to PC (0-225) when I'm done? Or will the difference be so minor that I shouldn't go through the trouble?"

I don't have a TV hooked up to a PC with HDMI to see it for myself, so any thoughts?

there are test videos out there for black level and white level. when you switch between 16-236 to 0-255, one will be very wrong. I think that is the best way to tell.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 15:54   #14843  |  Link
wanezhiling

http://www.sendspace.com/file/rdiz1f

cuvid issue, other decoding modes are fine.
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 15:55   #14844  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Can't do much about CUVID issues, the decoder is a completely black box, i give it a packet, it gives me an image.
Most of the time such issues are a problem in their parser, so i suggest different drivers, or complaining to nvidia.
Old 16th April 2013, 16:09   #14845  |  Link
wanezhiling

o.O

ok, blame nvidia...
Old 16th April 2013, 16:39   #14846  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpace View Post
Also, thanks for clearing up the issue of FRAPS' matrix, this means it uses indeed full range Rec.709 and not some other weird matrix.
I've tested this now and it still doesn't use compliant 601/709 matrix (then it would be lossless).
But however, it seems either because of new Avisynth or Fraps versions, situation has improved a lot.

How Fraps YV12 looks like with Fraps' VFW decoder (how it should be, the "original"):

ConvertToRGB(matrix="PC.601") (the same like adding no conversion to the script) + x264 lossless:

Ferns look more blurry and image is slightly darker (please don't judge this with a crappy display ).

ConvertToRGB(matrix="PC.709") or ConvertToRGB(matrix="rec709") have totally wrong brightness (I've flagged the vids correctly with x264)

ConvertToYV12(matrix="rec709") + x264 lossless:

Looks well. Ferns aren't always as sharp as the original but it's hardly noticible, the same goes for some color shift with flowers. This was worse with older Fraps/Avisynth versions, whole image became more blurry etc.
That's what everyone wants, since apart from LAV/madVR, stupid other players always expect rec709, at least with video resolutions.

Original Fraps YV12 video decoded with LAV (image saved with madVR):

Colors are wrong and also slightly wrong brightness.

That way imho it shouldn't be recommended to watch Fraps YV12 video with LAV. Stupid thing is just that madVR isn't compatible to VFW decoders, so then one has to stick to LAV though.
The last time Nev said he doesn't want to fix it since it's rather "dirty". Is there a chance that you've changed your mind?
I'm afraid otherwise there will never be any solution.
There's a "real" need for it, btw (e.g. texture filtering comparison vids):
http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/g...00-und-2500/4/

Sample Fraps vid:
http://www.mediafire.com/?9kto2socl294ymb
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 17:01   #14847  |  Link
wanezhiling

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ow06qp
lav s + lav v, stutter
Old 16th April 2013, 17:39   #14848  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanezhiling View Post
The file has broken timestamps, nothing that can be done.
Old 16th April 2013, 18:53   #14849  |  Link
aufkrawall

Handbrake's conversion isn't lossless either.
Old 16th April 2013, 20:07   #14850  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

I'm not seeing any matrix issue in your FRAPS avi sample aufkarwall, after testing this myself. Your Avisynth ConverttoRGB(matrix="PC.601") image is also not PC.601 either, so it makes me wonder how you are feeding x264 your decoded FRAPS footage.

LAV Video YV12 + Avisynth ConverttoRGB(matrix="PC.601")

FRAPS Decoder RGB32 + madVR

LAV Video YV12 + Avisynth ConverttoRGB(matrix="PC.709")

LAV Video NV12 + madVR Fullrange BT.709

The only anomaly I do see is that the FRAPS official decoder appears to use incorrect chroma positioning when upsampling from YV12 to RGB, resulting in chroma bleeding and a shifted image.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/19224

Last edited by cyberbeing; 16th April 2013 at 20:14.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2013, 21:20   #14851  |  Link
aufkrawall

Hm, odd. Fraps Decoder now works with madVR?
In the past it always failed.
Old 17th April 2013, 02:48   #14852  |  Link
itsonlyjustincase

Is there a way to force 60 fps in Lav Video like it is possible with ffdshow ? (http://dsync.blogspot.fr/2010/12/playing-video-in-60-fps-instead-of.html)
The goal is to force my shitty video application to run smoother videos
itsonlyjustincase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 06:24   #14853  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

There is not, and probably never will be.
Old 17th April 2013, 11:34   #14854  |  Link
itsonlyjustincase

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
There is not, and probably never will be.
Thanks for your answer
Old 17th April 2013, 12:42   #14855  |  Link
SamKook

Since it's avisynth that's doing all the work and not ffdshow, nothing's stopping you from creating the script with the video you want to play and then playing the script(which loads the video explicitely since LAV has no avisynth support like ffdshow) instead of the video which LAV will support without problem.

It's a bit more troublesome though and you'd probably want to make a bat file that create that script automatically and then launch your player so that all you'd have to do is drag and drop the video on it.

Edit: Or maybe not. I thought it was using LAV for the RAW video since I wasn't seeing the ffdshow icon, but there's actually no filters(other than the renderers and the source file) in the filter list so, my bad.

Last edited by SamKook; 17th April 2013 at 13:16.
SamKook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 14:01   #14856  |  Link
itsonlyjustincase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKook View Post
Since it's avisynth that's doing all the work and not ffdshow, nothing's stopping you from creating the script with the video you want to play and then playing the script(which loads the video explicitely since LAV has no avisynth support like ffdshow) instead of the video which LAV will support without problem.

It's a bit more troublesome though and you'd probably want to make a bat file that create that script automatically and then launch your player so that all you'd have to do is drag and drop the video on it.

Edit: Or maybe not. I thought it was using LAV for the RAW video since I wasn't seeing the ffdshow icon, but there's actually no filters(other than the renderers and the source file) in the filter list so, my bad.
thanks anyway
Old 17th April 2013, 14:13   #14857  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsonlyjustincase View Post
Is there a way to force 60 fps in Lav Video like it is possible with ffdshow ? (http://dsync.blogspot.fr/2010/12/playing-video-in-60-fps-instead-of.html)
The goal is to force my shitty video application to run smoother videos
try madvr smooth motion.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 17:03   #14858  |  Link
clsid

You can also use ffdshow video processor in combination with the LAV Video decoder. Either by adding the ffdshow raw video filter in MPC-HC external filters, or by enabling raw video in the ffdshow video decoder.

On a related note, since ffdshow r4505 it is possible to conditionally register the various ffdshow filters (when registering manually, it is not yet exposed in the installer). This for example allows registering only the processing filters. Perhaps this is an incentive to increase priority of issue #32? I propose a simple checkbox to toggle the feature on/off plus a textfield to supply a whitelist of apps where the processors may be inserted. Basic regex support should allow targeting most players with a short string (mpc*;*player*). Whitelist is important since for many DS apps (games/video converters/webcam stuff) processing is unneeded or even unwanted.
Old 17th April 2013, 19:09   #14859  |  Link
woody777

I searched the thread and found some conversation regarding interlaced video quality, but it's honestly over my head and I didn't really understand any of it.

I have a handful of MKVs made from old DVDs that look really bad using LAV/EVR. They look a bit better using Microsoft decoders/EVR. Is there a setting in LAV I can play with to make the video look smoother? It's tough to describe, but it looks sort of like this:

It's very obvious when characters talk -- their mouths are all lines.
woody777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 19:21   #14860  |  Link
paradoxical

Enable the deinterlacing option in LAV. Or if you also use MadVR, you can enable IVTC or video deinterlacing depending on whether your source is telecined film or not.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter