Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 9th October 2011, 14:41   #6041  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
@nev, can you update ffmpeg? An old bug got fixed yesterday (regarding softdec) and it would be nice to have it in LAV.

Thanks to Michael for looking into it BTW.
What issue are you refering to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzemanga View Post
LAV Splitter is buggy demuxing:
mpegvideo | raw MPEG video

I don't have a sample video file but found out due to an erotic game i play that uses pre-rendered raw MPEG videos for scenes. When i disable this option, the game plays smoothly; otherwise it becomes very choppy.
I need a sample file and a way to reproduce the problem, or i cannot do anything.
Old 9th October 2011, 15:09   #6042  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
What issue are you refering to?
http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.gi...4396984ba8ab5e
http://git.videolan.org/?p=ffmpeg.gi...04153826883716

You have samples in ticket 517. I've applied it locally and the issue is indeed fixed.
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 15:10   #6043  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I see. I'll run a update soon'ish. I usually do it shortly after a release, so in case any new issues come in from ffmpeg, there is enough time to address them.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 9th October 2011 at 15:48.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 20:08   #6044  |  Link
Sven75

Nev, I just noticed a strange issue with WMVs and MPGs (others may be affected as well).

When playing back the according files in Graphstudio/PowerPoint/MPC-HC the videos run perfectly fine the first time, but if they are then started again without closing the player app, it takes around 4 seconds into the file (as far as I can tell right now) until the decoding begins. I only noticed it, because someone wanted to loop a file with a duration < 4 seconds in PowerPoint and it failed completely until I simply converted it to an xvid avi.

Just 2 example files:

WMV file
MPG file

Edit:

Playing around with different decoders LAVVideo/MS WMV Decoder/ffdShow did not solve the problem, but in case of the WMV using the MS ASF reader did. So, it seems to be splitter related...

Last edited by Sven75; 9th October 2011 at 20:19.
Sven75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 20:13   #6045  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
I see. I'll run a update soon'ish. I usually do it shortly after a release, so in case any new issues come in from ffmpeg, there is enough time to address them.
That's a nice way of doing it, instead of spamming "Update ffmpeg" commits.

I'll report another bug soon regarding MPEG-2, here's a sample if you want to play with it. libmpeg2 plays it fine.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cye2dhgra9du6v8
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 21:06   #6046  |  Link
Pat357

HW de-interlacing on NVidia

Is it possible to put VC-1 and AVC1 interlaced files though the LAV-video CUDA interface for HW-deinterlacing and than somehow saving the file in a raw YUV/I420 format ?
I guess it should be possible because the at one moment the deinterlaced data in present in memory, so saving should be possible.

I'd like to convert interlaced video to "progressive" using the VA HW-deinterlacing, so that the converted video can also played properly on systems without support for HW-deinterlacing.
I 've tried in Graphstudio to write/dump the YUV video output to a file, but it wasn't that easy. Seems there is no way to write the raw video-data to disk this way...
Anyone knows a way to accomplish this ?
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 21:34   #6047  |  Link
SEt

Pat357, Source -> LAV decoder -> AVI Muxer -> File Writer
SEt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 21:51   #6048  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Forgive me for not reading through the full thread, but what's the verdict on OC / linked chapters support? Still waiting for the ffmpeg guys to support it? No plans on implementing it yourself?

Also, do you plan on ever adding a context menu like Haali has to the LAV Splitter? These are the two main things preventing me from using LAV Splitter as my main splitter - and if LAV had these two features then life would be a great deal easier for me (and the codec pack I'm working on), since I can't automate the Haali installer at all.

Last edited by nand chan; 9th October 2011 at 22:03.
nand chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 22:56   #6049  |  Link
ryrynz

I thought CCCP pretty much had it sewn up, why make another codec pack?
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 23:18   #6050  |  Link
SEt

Indeed no need for another, all codec packs are evil.
SEt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2011, 23:46   #6051  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I thought CCCP pretty much had it sewn up, why make another codec pack?
I'm not going to discuss it any further in this thread but I disagree with some of CCCP's decisions and choices. I also want to provide users with more flexibility.
Old 10th October 2011, 07:39   #6052  |  Link
Xaurus

Hi,

I've taken the plunge and bought a surround receiver. I've now moved to LAV Audio, which, works OK I think.
However, is it better to bitstream or decode everything through LAV? When I try bitstream there are several occasions I don't get any sound, particularly with DTS HD.
This is through HDMI, I'm not using S/PDIF anymore, with Nvidias latest audio driver installed. And I understand that there's really not a point using Reclock while
bitstreaming so I'm not using it right now.

There is another peculiar problem as well: I run the computer through my receiver (HDMI, as already mentioned) and with a HDMI from that to my plasma, but I also
have a computer monitor connected with DVI that goes directly to the monitor. The thing is, when I turn off the TV or receiver, the screen goes black on my computer
monitor (!). I use a Nvidia 570 GTX, and I only use 1 screen at a time (no extended desktops). This is proving to be a major problem since it requires me to have both
those other components turned on, to get a picture on my computer monitor. Puzzles me, really. I don't understand how output 2 from the 570 GTX can be
affected by the HDMI output which is output 1.
Old 10th October 2011, 08:35   #6053  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
Forgive me for not reading through the full thread, but what's the verdict on OC / linked chapters support? Still waiting for the ffmpeg guys to support it? No plans on implementing it yourself?

Also, do you plan on ever adding a context menu like Haali has to the LAV Splitter? These are the two main things preventing me from using LAV Splitter as my main splitter - and if LAV had these two features then life would be a great deal easier for me (and the codec pack I'm working on), since I can't automate the Haali installer at all.
hehe, an anime fan is obvious from miles away! The only ones who use linked chapters are anime fansubbers, and I have several such releases. I don't like CCCP either, but then again I don't like *any* codec packs, I install everything myself.

Anyway, LAV splitter will never be my main .mkv splitter either for the same reasons, doesn't support the full specification.
Old 10th October 2011, 08:37   #6054  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cca View Post
Anyway, LAV splitter will never be my main .mkv splitter either for the same reasons, doesn't support the full specification.
Nothing supports the full specification, because its bloated up with useless shit.
Old 10th October 2011, 09:28   #6055  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
However, is it better to bitstream or decode everything through LAV? When I try bitstream there are several occasions I don't get any sound, particularly with DTS HD.
This is through HDMI, I'm not using S/PDIF anymore, with Nvidias latest audio driver installed. And I understand that there's really not a point using Reclock while
bitstreaming so I'm not using it right now.
The GF100/110 cards (GTX 465 and up and 500 series equivalents) don't have HD bitstreaming. You'll have to decode everything, which btw, some people (like me) will say is better cause you can use ReClock. There's no difference audibly unless the decoder screws up the sound, which can also happen in your receiver, btw.

Quote:
There is another peculiar problem as well: I run the computer through my receiver (HDMI, as already mentioned) and with a HDMI from that to my plasma, but I also
have a computer monitor connected with DVI that goes directly to the monitor. The thing is, when I turn off the TV or receiver, the screen goes black on my computer
monitor (!). I use a Nvidia 570 GTX, and I only use 1 screen at a time (no extended desktops). This is proving to be a major problem since it requires me to have both
those other components turned on, to get a picture on my computer monitor. Puzzles me, really. I don't understand how output 2 from the 570 GTX can be
affected by the HDMI output which is output 1.
Have you tried playing with the "set up multiple displays" section of the driver's control panel?
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 09:47   #6056  |  Link
cca
Anime Otaku

Quote:
Nothing supports the full specification, because its bloated up with useless shit.
heh, that's probably correct, but the linked chapters is not, as it is used.
Old 10th October 2011, 09:50   #6057  |  Link
Xaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
The GF100/110 cards (GTX 465 and up and 500 series equivalents) don't have HD bitstreaming. You'll have to decode everything, which btw, some people (like me) will say is better cause you can use ReClock. There's no difference audibly unless the decoder screws up the sound, which can also happen in your receiver, btw.
Okay, I was not aware of this but this would explain a few things. Kinda surprised though, I would expect nothing less than full bitstreaming capability of a card in this pricerange.

In any case, not using bistreaming makes me able to use Reclock.
So my question is this, in order to avoid the whole HDMI issue through my receiver, what about using the "encode to AC3" feature of Reclock?
Then I should be able to pass everything through the S/PDIF output and ditch the HDMI for sound altogether. This is assuming that S/PDIF is sufficient for this.
I have only 5.1 speakers so I don't really need 7.1 and with my limited knowledge AC3 is only 640kbps right? So S/PDIF should be sufficient...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
Have you tried playing with the "set up multiple displays" section of the driver's control panel?
Yes I have, without luck. I will have to find another solution.

Last edited by Xaurus; 10th October 2011 at 10:05.
Xaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 09:52   #6058  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaurus View Post
Okay, I was not aware of this but this would explain a few things. Kinda surprised though, I would expect nothing less than full bitstreaming capability of a card in this pricerange.
Its a gaming card, gamers don't care about HD audio.

The main "problem" is that HD bitstreaming was implemented after the GF100 was released. To keep things "simple", NVIDIA didn't want to change the GF110 design (which is based on the GF100) that drastically to add that part, so it didn't go in either.

The next generation of cards will probably have it on every model.
Old 10th October 2011, 09:56   #6059  |  Link
Andy o

If you want you can use the AC3 option, but be aware that it's a lossy compression. I have nothing against lossy compression, but if you're lossy re-compressing an already lossy source, it's worse (though still questionable if it's audible, but it's less unlikely to be). So whenever possible, use a lossless source. If you have a lossy source, it's possible that you can just bitstream it if it's AC3 or DTS without recompressing, but you'll lose ReClock's ability to sync.

But, it would be ideal if you just stick with HDMI and use ReClock with the WASAPI output, and let LAV decode everything (including DTS-HD with dtsdecoder.dll).
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2011, 10:04   #6060  |  Link
glith

Since the audio delay option was introduced I have no need for reclock. Getting perfect lipsync at 24p(and 50/60) while bitstreaming.

glith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter