Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 25th August 2011, 19:10   #5081  |  Link
pirlouy
_

For HDMI or stereo files, it's useless.
But I think a matrix mixer is the first step before to think about converting to another format.
I'd advise to use ffdshow post-processing filter (but it does not work with MPC for the moment in my case)
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 22:01   #5082  |  Link
DrivenByDemons

Just installed this filter package and have a few MKV's that the video seems to play way too fast on. Audio sounds fine but obviously loses sync very quickly. I tried troubleshooting and narrowed it down to the splitter. I removed the entire package and installed Haali's and everything played fine. Then tried installing only LAV audio and video without the splitter and it still worked fine. I did a quick search of this thread (so not to waste anyones time on something that's already been reported) and saw a few references about sync but nothing specific. Any thoughts or suggestions?
DrivenByDemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 23:48   #5083  |  Link
Carpo

would an nvidia 560 or 570 be better to use, i am considering upgrading my pc and want to get the best video card I can to aid in the video decoding
Old 25th August 2011, 23:57   #5084  |  Link
Andy o

If you want multichannel HDMI, there's no contest. The 570 doesn't have it (560 does).
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 00:12   #5085  |  Link
rd1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
If you want multichannel HDMI, there's no contest. The 570 doesn't have it (560 does).
What? Why not? And what of the 580, and the 560 Ti?
rd1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 01:38   #5086  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpo View Post
would an nvidia 560 or 570 be better to use, i am considering upgrading my pc and want to get the best video card I can to aid in the video decoding
It's complete overkill for video decoding, but it works great with LAV CUVID and madVR (a video card won't do anything for LAV Decoder) if you want the card for something else like gaming.

Quote:
I don't know about the 560, but the 570 uses a mini HDMI connector rather than HDMI as standard. My card (and I assume others) came with a short (6" maybe) mini HDMI > HDMI cable.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 06:03   #5087  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
All recent NVIDIA cards have multichannel PCM over HDMI, but the 570 and 580 do not have HD bitstreaming.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 26th August 2011 at 06:12.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 06:04   #5088  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByDemons View Post
Just installed this filter package and have a few MKV's that the video seems to play way too fast on. Audio sounds fine but obviously loses sync very quickly. I tried troubleshooting and narrowed it down to the splitter. I removed the entire package and installed Haali's and everything played fine. Then tried installing only LAV audio and video without the splitter and it still worked fine. I did a quick search of this thread (so not to waste anyones time on something that's already been reported) and saw a few references about sync but nothing specific. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I haven't heard of this kind of problem with MKV files yet..
A sample file that shows this problem would be greatly appreciated, so it can be fixed.
Old 26th August 2011, 07:00   #5089  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
All recent NVIDIA cards have multichannel PCM over HDMI, but the 570 and 580 do not have HD bitstreaming.
Ah, right. Correction noted. WASAPI exclusive works OK too? I have had problems with it and a 9300 mobo and 9200m laptop, which have previous Nvidia multichannel HDMI devices.
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 07:41   #5090  |  Link
Carpo

Quote:
And on that bombshell - its the 560 i'm going for

well this is the one I'm thinking of getting - GeForce GTX 560Ti OC 1024MB GDDR5
Old 26th August 2011, 08:01   #5091  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

If all you want is a HTPC, i would even go down to a 550, its still way too fast for a HTPC, but will save you money and possibly some energy.
The 560 would be better if you want some gaming performance as well.

Sadly the 500 series doesn't have a real HTPC GPU.
Old 26th August 2011, 08:03   #5092  |  Link
Carpo

560 will come with the system, I can't be bothered to build my system this time around, but i do have some games that would bring my old system and gfx card to its knees, so having the best of both worlds should be fine hoping on a core i7 2600K should improve my bluray/mkv playback too
Old 26th August 2011, 14:31   #5093  |  Link
nlnl

nevcairiel

Do you have any plans for DSD audio bitstreaming using HDMI (LAV audio + LAV splitter)?

Or this is theoretically impossible? Windows limits this bitstreaming?
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 14:36   #5094  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I don't have a soundcard nor a receiver that can either bitstream or receive DSD, and its probably not supported by any consumer HDMI PC device..
Old 26th August 2011, 14:56   #5095  |  Link
nlnl

Quote:
I don't have a soundcard nor a receiver that can either bitstream or receive DSD, and its probably not supported by any consumer HDMI PC device..
HDMI 1.3 supports bitstreaming DSD and DST (compressed DSD) formats.
And for example my ONKYO 1007 reciever supports direct DSD decoding.
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 14:56   #5096  |  Link

Quote:
Ah, right. Correction noted. WASAPI exclusive works OK too? I have had problems with it and a 9300 mobo and 9200m laptop, which have previous Nvidia multichannel HDMI devices.
Works fine. (my previous 9400 worked fine too - the 9300 is the same thing with lower clocks I believe?) What are your problems with it?

Quote:
Ah I see. Considering that the majority of PCs cannot output stable/accurate 24/1.001 clocks, and you're better sending 24.000 from the PC using ReClock to handle the audio anyway (film is shot at 24fps, not 24/1.001) I'm not sure I see why anyone should care, other than to have a silly light turn on, on their receiver.

It doesn't seem to matter to the bitstreaming crowd, that TrueHD/DTSHDMA decoded to PCM is identical, they need that little light to tell them.

But people that are vocal about bitstreaming tend to be like those that insist on turning on all those picture-ruining features their new TV has because they paid for them, so why would they not use them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpo View Post
hoping on a core i7 2600K should improve my bluray/mkv playback too
A 2600K is a complete waste of money in almost all use cases. A 2500K performs almost identically, with the exception of tasks which can actually take advantage of an additional four virtual cores. (almost nothing) In fact, many people find that 2500Ks will overclock higher than 2600Ks that have hyperthreading enabled. If you aren't overclocking, don't buy a K processor.

Honestly though, there is no need for a CPU/GPU combination that high performance for video playback, especially if you use CUVID to do the decoding. I was able to run old versions of madVR (before it got quick wit the addition of the full-screen exclusive mode) with the CPU doing the decoding on an old E5200/9400 system. With CUVID, I bet I could have done it with an even slower CPU.

The only thing other than video decoding that would require a fast CPU is upsampling audio with reclock, and that isn't so demanding with the new resampler. And if you insist on bitstreaming (a mistake in my opinion) you wouldn't be doing that anyway.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 14:59   #5097  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
HDMI 1.3 supports bitstreaming DSD and DST (compressed DSD) formats.
And for example my ONKYO 1007 reciever supports direct DSD decoding.
Sure, but what do you have in your PC to produce a HDMI signal? All the GPUs do not support it. Do you have some specialized HDMI sound card that does?

Even then, i don't know if Windows even supports it.
Anyway, i have no interest in supporting it.
Old 26th August 2011, 15:11   #5098  |  Link
robpdotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
It doesn't seem to matter to the bitstreaming crowd, that TrueHD/DTSHDMA decoded to PCM is identical, they need that little light to tell them.
How about DTS (including DTS-HD MA) with a matrixed 6.1? Doesn't it contain a flag telling the decoder which sounds are supposed to be in the rear center? None of the software decoders play those back in 6.1, but an AVR will if you bitstream. You could use your receiver or maybe ffdshow to create the addition channel, but in that case, can you really say that decoding on the PC is the same as decoding on a receiver?

I've never seen any info that makes me think it's the same, so I want the option to bitstream those.
AMD 6870

Last edited by robpdotcom; 26th August 2011 at 15:14.
robpdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 15:45   #5099  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
A 2600K is a complete waste of money in almost all use cases. A 2500K performs almost identically, with the exception of tasks which can actually take advantage of an additional four virtual cores. (almost nothing)
Leaving aside any bang for buck discussions, HT gains some 20% with x264, which matters for many of the folks on this forum.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 15:47   #5100  |  Link
princewang

Is it a bug?

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?t5qj0hxvmz0na29
princewang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter