Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 24th August 2011, 19:39   #5061  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
On my PC the MS decoder is significantly faster than ffmpeg. I can't get Blu-Rays to play smoothly with ffmpeg on my (rather old/slow) PC, while the MS decoder plays most Blu-Rays just fine for me.
The MS Video decoder always benchmarked quicker for me, but I was never able to actually get smooth playback of VC-1 Blu-rays using it. This has probably changed with newer iterations of MadVR and the introduction of the LAV Filters/Splitter since, however.
6233638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 19:43   #5062  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

It might have to do with which splitter you're using. The internal MPC-HC splitter is known to make problems with VC-1 m2ts streams, when used with the MS VC-1 decoder.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 19:45   #5063  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
The MS Video decoder always benchmarked quicker for me, but I was never able to actually get smooth playback of VC-1 Blu-rays using it. This has probably changed with newer iterations of MadVR and the introduction of the LAV Filters/Splitter since, however.
The MPC-HC MPEG Splitter does not provide timestamps that work smoothly with the MS decoder. Heck, it doesn't even work properly with MPC-HCs own VC-1 decoder.

LAV Splitter (and Haali as well, i think) should work smoothly with the MS decoder - but most people using MPC-HC have traditionally always used the internal splitter for TS, and Haali only for MKV (granted, Haalis support for anything but MKV isn't that great)
Old 24th August 2011, 21:02   #5064  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
I think the 75:25 and 50:50 interpolation should be similar to bilinear interpolation
Isn't that the exact definition of bilinear interpolation applied to the MPEG-2 grid?
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 21:32   #5065  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

It is, just vastly simplified because of the fixed factors.
Old 25th August 2011, 10:45   #5066  |  Link
nlnl

nevcairiel
What container would you recommend for DVD ripping? mkv, ts, vob ?
What your LAV family LAVes best of all ?
nlnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 10:53   #5067  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I would just put it in MKV, just because its easier then the others.
Old 25th August 2011, 10:55   #5068  |  Link
mzso

Hi!
It seems that LAV splitter doesn't work with Total Commander's lister for some reason. It caused TC to hang with max cpu usage. Well I guess so because it stopped happening after I unticked mp3 in the splitter.
By the way I remember people mentioning viewing/setting the priority of filters, what's a proper tool for that?
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 10:59   #5069  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I'm home alone tomorrow for most of the day and I own Heroes season 1 on HD DVD so I can mess with it myself and see what I can come up with.
Hey - did you get a chance to have a look?
Thanks
Nathan
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 11:07   #5070  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
In the normal EVR case with LAV Video, the GPU even went into a lower power state, probably saving more energy then DXVA would.
I think this largely depends on the card's energy savings capabilities (like PowerPlay and such). With my 5770, the consumption at the wall for my PC drops measurably from full (850/1200 MHz) to UVD (400/900), which DXVA locks the card into. From UVD to idle state (175/300 IIRC) it doesn't drop that much. Using madVR for example kicks the card into full speed. It's my experience that CPU usage doesn't affect power consumption as much as GPU. I got a Penryn C2Q 9450 running at standard speed (2.66).
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 11:27   #5071  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

A high-end CPU has a TDP of 95w (i7 2600K), a high-end GPU has a TDP of beyond 250 W, and the average HTPC GPU has more then the 95w as well (Your 5770 is at around ~108W, the GTS 450 i use is at ~106W)

A rule to saving power is probably to simply not over-size the components. A high-end GPU will use more power in its full speed mode then a HTPC GPU.
Plus, CPUs get faster as well, pretty soon they can decode video without going into max performance mode, and gain efficiency with that.

Anyhow, if you care about power usage that much, there are plenty of screws to turn.
One thing is for sure, though. Buying new components just to save power doesn't pay, the time to get into a positive balance is just too long.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 25th August 2011 at 12:23.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 12:59   #5072  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
Hey - did you get a chance to have a look?
Thanks
Nathan
Sorry I didn't. I've been away from home all week for work. I'm heading back home later today so I'll see if I can look at it tomorrow.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:19   #5073  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
A high-end CPU has a TDP of 95w (i7 2600K), a high-end GPU has a TDP of beyond 250 W, and the average HTPC GPU has more then the 95w as well (Your 5770 is at around ~108W, the GTS 450 i use is at ~106W)
Keep in mind that TDP is not max or typical power consumption. Plus, different vendors define TDP in different ways.
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 15:02   #5074  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
Hi!
It seems that LAV splitter doesn't work with Total Commander's lister for some reason. It caused TC to hang with max cpu usage. Well I guess so because it stopped happening after I unticked mp3 in the splitter.
By the way I remember people mentioning viewing/setting the priority of filters, what's a proper tool for that?
No-one else experienced this? What was the problem then if not LAV?
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 16:15   #5075  |  Link
Andy o

Nev, does LAV video apply decimation or IVTC automatically for repeated frames? I have some 24p content encoded on 30p. When using LAV video, ReClock reports 29.97 for a few seconds, then switches to 23.976 and it looks smooth running the display at 24p. When using madVR, ReClock reports 29.97 only.
Old 25th August 2011, 16:22   #5076  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I don't think it does that, unless its hidden somewhere in ffmpeg itself.. but do you have a sample of such a file?
Old 25th August 2011, 16:43   #5077  |  Link
Andy o

It's happening with ffdshow too. Before I upload a sample (it's some old anime) I'm gonna do some more testing so nobody wastes their time. The avisynth script that I usually use for decimation mucks up this file. I suspect it's really 23.976 but somehow it's telling the decoder and mediainfo that it's 29.97. Regardless of decoder being used, simply if I run my display at 24 it plays smoothly, while running it at 60 it looks like 2-3 pulldown (doesn't look like a 1-1-1-2 pattern like most 24p content encoded in 30p show).

What confuses me is that ReClock can detect 23.976 with LAV and ffdshow, but not with madVR. I'm not sure how ReClock fits into the picture when using madVR's decoders though, for example if it can apply media correction without problem.
Old 25th August 2011, 16:45   #5078  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

ReClock and madVR for decoding are somewhat limited, i wouldn't suggest that combination. There are some known glitches with detection of the frame rate (usually with not detecting it at all, detecting the wrong one sounds new. :P)
Old 25th August 2011, 17:25   #5079  |  Link
Andy o

I'm thinking it might be a variable frame rate thing. I've tried remuxing and specifying manually the rate, but I'm getting unsynced audio. Definitely close to 23 or 24 rather than 29/30 though. Anyway, not your problem I guess
Old 25th August 2011, 18:43   #5080  |  Link
benus

Hi Nevcairiel

May I just ask you whether there is any possibility to output ac3 from aac on the fly usind LAV Audio Decoder.
There is countless amount of files on the internet with aac audio track, and even more people willing to use their HDMI or SPDIF output to stream it to the receiver.
I appreciate all your hard work.
Take care.
benus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter