Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 19th April 2024, 09:52   #25221  |  Link
huhn

true here it is for h264 which is quite amazing:
https://i.postimg.cc/NfZ99FDf/h264.png
i still have a 960 around somewhere to show that this is very old tech.
h264 high 4:4:4 predictive L5.1
this profile allows up to 14 bit only 8 bit is supported AFAIK. i have a 10 bit file around now it does not work.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2024, 13:00   #25222  |  Link
flossy_cake

Hello I am having an issue where LAV is failing to open .avs files if the file name contains UTF-8 characters in languages such as Japanese or Russian, for example テスト.avs or тест.avs. Characters like German ü do not seem to have a problem - prüfen.avs works just fine.

Avisynth supports scripts containing those characters as long as the .avs file is encoded as UTF-8 without BOM (which I have confirmed in Notepad++: Encoding -> Encode in UTF-8).

Everything works fine until the .avs FILE NAME contains foreign characters, at which point LAV fails to open it and MPC-HC falls back to default DirectShow Avisynth filter (generic Microsoft "AVI/wav file source").

To reproduce the issue here is a test clip テスト.ts and .avs file テスト.avs. In MPC-HC you'll want to make sure to tick Options → Internal Filters → Source filters → Avisynth which should tell it to open .avs files with LAV as the DirectShow filter.

On my system if I open テスト.avs it plays but DirectShow fails to choose LAV as the source filter. Then if I rename it to test.avs or prüfen.avs it uses LAV as expected.

Last edited by flossy_cake; 30th April 2024 at 13:11.
flossy_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2024, 13:05   #25223  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

German umlauts are covered by the 8 bit codepage 1252 which is common for most languages with latin characters in Windows. A complete Unicode support may require a consistent use of Wide Character functions (16 bits per character).

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2024, 13:31   #25224  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
German umlauts are covered by the 8 bit codepage 1252 which is common for most languages with latin characters in Windows. A complete Unicode support may require a consistent use of Wide Character functions (16 bits per character).
I thought that would not be an issue for LAV as it has no trouble opening テスト.ts or тест.ts. The issue is only with .avs files, and removing LAV from the DirectShow graph restores compatibility, therefore I figured it's a LAV issue specifically relating to .avs files.
Old 30th April 2024, 13:33   #25225  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Is it possible to specify a "referrer" and "user-agent" when opening URL streams using LAV Source Filter?

There are streaming sites that will not work if these fields are not specified when opening the stream and the "IFileSourceFilter" doesn't seem to support any additional parameters other than the filename/URL.

Last edited by Blight; 30th April 2024 at 16:06.
Blight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2024, 16:44   #25226  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy_cake View Post
Hello I am having an issue where LAV is failing to open .avs files if the file name contains UTF-8 characters in languages such as Japanese or Russian, for example テスト.avs or тест.avs. Characters like German ü do not seem to have a problem - prüfen.avs works just fine.

Avisynth supports scripts containing those characters as long as the .avs file is encoded as UTF-8 without BOM (which I have confirmed in Notepad++: Encoding -> Encode in UTF-8).

Everything works fine until the .avs FILE NAME contains foreign characters, at which point LAV fails to open it and MPC-HC falls back to default DirectShow Avisynth filter (generic Microsoft "AVI/wav file source").

To reproduce the issue here is a test clip テスト.ts and .avs file テスト.avs. In MPC-HC you'll want to make sure to tick Options → Internal Filters → Source filters → Avisynth which should tell it to open .avs files with LAV as the DirectShow filter.

On my system if I open テスト.avs it plays but DirectShow fails to choose LAV as the source filter. Then if I rename it to test.avs or prüfen.avs it uses LAV as expected.

This should be working fine if you use AviSynth+ in any recent version (from the last 3 years or so, from what I can tell). Older versions and classic AviSynth do not have the ability to pass unicode filenames to it.
Old 30th April 2024, 17:47   #25227  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
This should be working fine if you use AviSynth+ in any recent version (from the last 3 years or so, from what I can tell). Older versions and classic AviSynth do not have the ability to pass unicode filenames to it.
I am using the latest public release on Github, and I can see the release notes for much older versions mention adding support for those characters, so I agree it should not be an issue. Yet somehow it is an issue, therefore I would be interested to hear if you were able to recreate the issue with the 2 test files I uploaded to gdrive.

The fact that it works fine when using the default generic Microsoft DirectShow source filter but not LAV, would seem to indicate an issue with LAV?
Old 30th April 2024, 20:16   #25228  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flossy_cake View Post
I am using the latest public release on Github, and I can see the release notes for much older versions mention adding support for those characters, so I agree it should not be an issue. Yet somehow it is an issue, therefore I would be interested to hear if you were able to recreate the issue with the 2 test files I uploaded to gdrive.

The fact that it works fine when using the default generic Microsoft DirectShow source filter but not LAV, would seem to indicate an issue with LAV?
Works fine for me. Installed AviSynth+ 3.7.3 and the latest LSMASHSource, and it just opens.
You may have some outdated AviSynth somewhere, or a script error - contrary to their DirectShow filter, script errors won't generate an image with the error text, but just fail to open.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 30th April 2024 at 20:18.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2024, 21:15   #25229  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
Works fine for me. Installed AviSynth+ 3.7.3 and the latest LSMASHSource, and it just opens.
It opens for me too, but not with LAV. Are you sure it's opening with LAV on your system - in MPC-HC if you copy filters to clipboard does it say LAV Splitter and LAV Video Decoder are active or is it just using "AVI/WAV File Source"?

If I replace the LWLibavVideoSource with LWLibavAudioSource then I get failed to render pin errors. Then if I rename the file it works fine. The script is just a single line: LWLibavVideoSource("テスト.ts") so it can't be a script error.

Last edited by flossy_cake; 30th April 2024 at 21:20.
Old 30th April 2024, 21:17   #25230  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

If i say it works, it works. The error must be on your system.
Old 30th April 2024, 21:39   #25231  |  Link
flossy_cake

Quote:
If i say it works, it works.
The error must be on your system.
Yes it would seem that way, although it is possible to have a bug that only occurs on certain systems, and "it works on my system so there is no issue" is kind of a recipe for disaster imo

The reason I'm looking at LAV as the culprit is by process of elimination:

1. The bug cannot be inside Avisynth because Avisynth can open the script as long as I don't use LAV Splitter/Decoder.

2. The fault is probably not with MPC-HC because it can open the script as long as it doesn't use LAV Splitter/Decoder.

Then if I rename the file the issue goes away, so from this we can deduce it is an issue with incorrect character encoding that SEEMS to have something to do with LAV Splitter/Decoder.

Last edited by flossy_cake; 30th April 2024 at 21:41.
Old 30th April 2024, 21:44   #25232  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

3. Your AviSynth setup is out of date, or specifically, the version installed globally in the system for LAV to find is out of date.
4. Your LAV is out of date, Unicode support for AVS scripts would've been added in 0.77

There is always more reasons. Anyway the code is clear. If you run AviSynth+ in a new enough version, Unicode filenames work fine. If you run an old version, they don't work.

You could for example run this script and see what version it claims to be:
Code:
### 'Version' filter with background/template clip 
function Version(clip bg, bool "showbg")
{
    showbg = Default(showbg, false)
    bg = (showbg) ? bg : BlankClip(bg, color=$404040)
    v=Version
    m=v.ConvertToRGB32.ColorKeyMask($404040, 0).ShowAlpha
    Overlay(bg, v, mask=m.Blur(0.2),
    \       x=(bg.Width/2-v.Width/2), 
    \       y=(bg.Height/2-v.Height/2))
    return Last
}

Version(BlankClip(width=600, height=336, pixel_type="RGB32"))

Last edited by nevcairiel; 30th April 2024 at 21:52.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2024, 21:59   #25233  |  Link
flossy_cake

Well, updating LAV from 0.75 to 0.79 solved it. (edit: beat me to it)

I didn't want to update it as it was all working perfectly and I try to avoid "if it aint broke fix it until it is"

I couldn't find anything in the release notes between 0.75 and 0.79 about it, just this older one: 0.10 - 2010/10/26 "Fix loading of files with unicode characters in their names".
Old 1st May 2024, 11:06   #25234  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Nev:
Any chance of adding an interface so I can assign a user-agent and referrer strings or possibly just a formatting option in the URL specified?

For example "https://www.somesite.org/stream|user-agent|referrer" ?
Old 3rd May 2024, 11:22   #25235  |  Link
max79

Support request - #37

@Nevcairiel
I would like to see duration on this VideoOnDemand example:
http://omomomo.com/stream/test1.m3u8

Please add such opportunity if possible.
max79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2024, 11:23   #25236  |  Link
max79

Support request - #38

@Nevcairiel
I see stuttering, using LAVSplitter, after first 30-60 seconds of this stream on this video example:
https://strm.yandex.ru/kal/fashion_tv/manifest.mpd

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 3rd May 2024, 11:24   #25237  |  Link
max79

Support request - #39

@Nevcairiel
Currently, it is possible to select a specified track only for DASH-streams. Please add such opportunity for HLS-streams to enable a better quality stream manually, because at this moment LAVSplitter choose track with highest bitrate[112kbps] but not with highest quality[64kbps]:

Example:
https://hls-01-radiorecord.hostingra.../playlist.m3u8

this example have three tracks:
1.1) Lowest audio quality(HE-AACv2 [32kbps]):
1.2) Medium audio quality(AAC-LC [112kbps]):
1.3) Highest audio quality(HE-AACv1 [64kbps]):

Last edited by max79; 7th May 2024 at 13:08.
Old 7th May 2024, 13:09   #25238  |  Link
max79

Support request - #40

@Nevcairiel
I'm noticed that LAVSplitter can't starting to play this HLS-stream example:
https://strm.yandex.ru/kal/fashion_tv/fashion_tv0.m3u8

p.s. Through VLC media player stream can be played and on Windows 7 and on Windows 10.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Old 7th May 2024, 16:32   #25239  |  Link
clsid

And if you right-click on the LAV Splitter tray icon during loading of above link, it will crash.
Old 7th May 2024, 20:25   #25240  |  Link
max79

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
And if you right-click on the LAV Splitter tray icon during loading of above link, it will crash.
Hello clsid,
Good catch! I got crashing on two different PCs Thanks for the feedback

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter