Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 13th February 2024, 18:07   #25121  |  Link
Damien147

Realtek HD audio manager is set to stereo in speaker configuration as I am using stereo speakers and always used default settings in LAV audio decoder.I have no complain and everything sounds fine to me but today I noticed the ''enable mixing'' setting in LAV audio decoder.Do I have to tick the ''enable mixing'' setting in LAV audio decoder or mixing is already done as Realtek HD audio manager is set to stereo?That's what I suppose but just want to make sure.I leave default settings in LAV audio decoder?

Last edited by Damien147; 13th February 2024 at 18:35.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2024, 20:07   #25122  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

If you have stereo speakers it is a good choice to enable mixing.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2024, 20:24   #25123  |  Link
Damien147

OK,I enabled it.Thank you very much.
Old 13th February 2024, 21:29   #25124  |  Link
Sunspark

If you enable it, make sure the output speaker config drop-down says stereo, otherwise Windows will still mix it to stereo for you. Also a good idea to put a check in "don't mix stereo sources".
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2024, 22:42   #25125  |  Link
Damien147

Yes,it was saying stereo in output speaker configuration.Also ticked now "don't mix stereo sources" as you said.Thank you too sir.
Old 14th February 2024, 00:29   #25126  |  Link
Damien147

I thought that by having Realtek HD audio manager set to stereo in speaker configuration the mixing was happening already.Can someone explain with what we've done what changes?Better quality?

Last edited by Damien147; 14th February 2024 at 00:40.
Old 14th February 2024, 09:14   #25127  |  Link
Sunspark

There is always going to be mixing somewhere. The difference here is that with the mixer in LAV you can adjust the center, surround and LFE levels if you want to. Realtek or Windows doesn't have a slider for that.
Old 14th February 2024, 13:38   #25128  |  Link
Damien147

Ok.I don't want to tweak anything like that because I don't know,it sounds just fine to me.I will leave it with defaults and with the settings you both suggested.Thanks again.
Old 14th February 2024, 19:58   #25129  |  Link
Damien147

Someone somewhere mentioned that he has better sound with mixing in LAV audio disabled.Just to make sure.There is no sound quality degradation with these settings,right?
Old 14th February 2024, 21:20   #25130  |  Link
lvqcl

Use your ears already
lvqcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2024, 21:25   #25131  |  Link
Sunspark

Was it me? It really depends.. I run multiple renderers and decoders and paths in different players.

With MPC-HC my normal route is sanear renderer in shared mode, the player downmixing, and realtek loudness equalization on. I only use LAV for decoding here. Though, when I did use LAV for mixing, because I have a sub attached to the speakers, I used center 1.00, surround 0.71, LFE 1.58. Don't use a value for LFE if you don't have a sub. Do try center 1.00.
With MPC-BE, mpc audio renderer in exclusive mode, player downmixing w/ redirect bass checked and center level boosted to +3.0 dB. Decoder is MPC's.

Why the difference? Because I usually use BE for my streaming radio where I want clarity, and HC for my videos so I need more volume and you can't have profiles that can be toggled with a button, so I just run two players for this purpose. Also, (this won't apply to you) I sometimes use BE for anime videos too because my broadwell cpu can crash playback on 10-bit HEVC decoding but those usually will work on BE's.

I've also played around with MPV and VLC too. VLC has a dynamic range audio compressor in the advanced audio filter settings which is like realtek's loudness equalization. I use that setting turned on on my Linux setup because I need the audio boosted after the downmix. The browser extension enhanced-h264ify can also be used to disable volume normalization in youtube so I have that option checked. I don't need YouTube changing the volume when I'm already using Realtek's option. Browsers run in shared mode.

The LAV decoder and mixer works well.

Other people have gone further and installed equalizer apo to fine tune it even more, but I never bothered. My hearing isn't that good.

Edit: I stopped using 1.58 because I don't actually have a dedicated jack for the sub.

Last edited by Sunspark; 17th February 2024 at 18:26.
Old 14th February 2024, 22:41   #25132  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvqcl View Post
Use your ears already
I don't have the ears and the difference has to be really obvious.

If it's the same thing as before enabling these settings with Realtek HD audio manager doing the mixing in stereo where is the profit?The sliders?
I don't use the sliders,I don't wanna tweak something and it was just fine.
I asked having in mind there was some kind of an improvement in sound quality and if the only improvement is the sliders there is no use for me.
Now if someone here doesn't know for sure about the sound quality I better go back to how I was with these settings disabled as I was fine.
Old 15th February 2024, 13:38   #25133  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Is there any changelog for nightly builds too?
Old 15th February 2024, 13:51   #25134  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tormento View Post
Is there any changelog for nightly builds too?
https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFil...ommits/master/

Manually curated changelogs are only assembled for releases.
Old 15th February 2024, 13:55   #25135  |  Link
tormento
Acid fr0g

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Manually curated changelogs are only assembled for releases.
Thank you. If you want, put that link under the nightly builds in the description part of your useful package.
Old 15th February 2024, 21:43   #25136  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Could anyone point me to a good sound compressor to use. I find the sound in lav audio decoder way too quiet for my stereo set up.
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2024, 01:24   #25137  |  Link
Damien147

I have a pair of bookshelf speakers and looking to have a faithful sound with what I have.Someone on reddit suggested to disable clipping protection.Is it a good idea in my case to disable it?
Old 16th February 2024, 10:08   #25138  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
I have a pair of bookshelf speakers and looking to have a faithful sound with what I have.Someone on reddit suggested to disable clipping protection.Is it a good idea in my case to disable it?
Short answer: never.
Old 16th February 2024, 14:32   #25139  |  Link
Damien147

That's the answer I've been looking for.Thank you very much.
Old 16th February 2024, 16:41   #25140  |  Link
Sunspark

@Siso It's not the decoder, it's a side-effect of downmixing 5.1 to stereo. Move LAV's center mix level slider from 0.71 to 1.00 and this will help, see how it is. If you need more, then turn on "loudness equalization" in Realtek's settings (others will have similar) and that will boost it. If your card doesn't have that setting VLC is an option too, it has a compressor in the advanced settings but really, your audio device should have that loudness equalization checkbox (don't use it for important stuff like classical music but it's perfect for things like spoken audio).

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter