Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 20th July 2023, 21:29   #24981  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by htnut View Post
I presume it is the job of LAV to connect the exculsive WASAPI audio connection to the audio driver.
It is not. LAV is an audio decoder, not an audio renderer.

Presumably it's JRiver that's doing the audio rendering. It would be more appropriate to ask your question in a JRiver forum.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2023, 00:26   #24982  |  Link
htnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-t172 View Post
It is not. LAV is an audio decoder, not an audio renderer.

Presumably it's JRiver that's doing the audio rendering. It would be more appropriate to ask your question in a JRiver forum.
Thanks. I did start there, but the admins at JR aren't interested in my dilemma (I do admit it's a fringe case). They basically say to just deal with it, stop and restart through the menus.

I imagine/hope there's some workaround that I could do to cause the (audio renderer, apparently) to reconnect to the audio driver after an interruption.
htnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2023, 17:03   #24983  |  Link
Sunspark

Maybe you should try a different player.. I didn't test with a DVD, but I paused an audio stream in 1 player in exclusive mode and waited awhile and it did not release the audio lock.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2023, 20:47   #24984  |  Link
htnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
Maybe you should try a different player.. I didn't test with a DVD, but I paused an audio stream in 1 player in exclusive mode and waited awhile and it did not release the audio lock.
No, it's not that it releases the lock, it's that another process I invoke breaks it. I'm hoping to find some way to "reconnect" that audio without having to stop and restart the player. It's in a dedicated Home Theater and trying to keep make the transition between what I'm doing smooth and consistent.

Last edited by htnut; 21st July 2023 at 21:23.
Old 22nd July 2023, 04:19   #24985  |  Link
Sunspark

That's not how exclusive mode works. There is no "another process breaks it". Your app is releasing the process.
Old 22nd July 2023, 08:32   #24986  |  Link
Klaus1189

I think so, too. MPC-BE has an option to release it when in idle (default is off)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jjc...ew?usp=sharing
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2023, 18:05   #24987  |  Link
Sunspark

If switching the player is not an option, you can also use shared mode as well, then the focus loss won't be an issue. The sound will not be bad just because it is in shared mode and it has value in that it can enable other functionality in the soundcard options which won't be exposed/processed in exclusive.

Of the two players which I use regularly for different purposes, one I use in exclusive and the other I use in shared.
Old 22nd July 2023, 20:18   #24988  |  Link
e-t172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
If switching the player is not an option, you can also use shared mode as well, then the focus loss won't be an issue. The sound will not be bad just because it is in shared mode and it has value in that it can enable other functionality in the soundcard options which won't be exposed/processed in exclusive.
I second this, but one caveat is you can't play Atmos that way - it has to be bitstreamed, which requires exclusive mode.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2023, 08:04   #24989  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

You can actually bitstream even through DirectSound, the windows built-in mixer does take care to deliver bitstream formats untouched, or mute them.
Old 23rd July 2023, 17:47   #24990  |  Link
el Filou

Even if you find a workaround I'd still ask the JRiver developers to fix that, because for example ReClock has no problem restarting the audio stream in exclusive mode if I pause playback and then play something else in another app.
(Edit: or maybe it's an issue with the audio driver?)
Old 24th July 2023, 15:33   #24991  |  Link
mzso

Hi!

I've been trying deinterlacing options. And I noticed that if I use LAV software options the video is noticeably less smooth compared to letting madVR deinterlace. But the latter delivers poor image quality. I'm quessing it uses some trashy built-in deinterlacing method of the radeon driver.

Furthermore watching the same channel on TV seems even smoother. Only this seems completely smooth.

I don't get frame drops or such, but even so the difference in smoothness is noticeable. I guess this is normal? Can I get better deinterlacing somehow? That both looks good temporally and image quality wise.

Last edited by mzso; 24th July 2023 at 22:46.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2023, 18:02   #24992  |  Link
htnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
You can actually bitstream even through DirectSound, the windows built-in mixer does take care to deliver bitstream formats untouched, or mute them.
Thank you. Apologies I wasn't more clear in my original post... the process that "breaks" JR's exclusive hold is a script of my own that disables and immediately re-enables the audio driver. Then, my second application can play audio... but then I want to be able to resume JR (without having to "stop" playback and restart).

Shared mode would be excellent but JR's seetings seem to REQUIRE "use exclusive mode" or else Atmos won't bitstream.

Maybe the support I need from JR is to allow bitstreaming without exclusive mode? Their support page also states "If you disable exclusive.. you must use DSP mode to resample..."

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Exclusive_Access

Thank you for your suggestions!
Old 27th July 2023, 00:54   #24993  |  Link
htnut

As a follow up here, this is a comment from a JRiver administrator (attached).

nevcairiel, if I understand your comment correctly, LAV should be able to bitstream (atmos) even without "exclusive" mode. Is there something we can tell the JRiver folks about that can cause MC to bitstream without exclusive mode?

Thanks again.
Attached Images

Old 27th July 2023, 02:06   #24994  |  Link
Sunspark

Attachments don't get approved here, link the image to a remote site instead.
Old 27th July 2023, 07:58   #24995  |  Link
jmone

@htnut, I don't know who that screen shot refers to from JRiver (as we can not see it) but.... if it is from Hendrik then you may not know that this is the same person as nevcairiel.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2023, 08:55   #24996  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The only option to use shared-mode bitstreaming is through DirectSound. Otherwise with your essentially forced driver reset, you will be on your own, thats not what a normal system ever does, sorry.
Old 27th July 2023, 17:48   #24997  |  Link
htnut

Ok, Thank you. I'll give up on trying to reset the audio exclusive stream without "restarting" playback.

But, in JRiver MC choosing a DirectSound device won't bitstream (no Atmos). So, either I have some configuration wrong or JRiver has something interfering with the ability to run "shared mode" (which is suggested in the adminstrator "awesome donkey" saying that "bistreaming requires exclusive mode").

Thanks again.
Old 27th July 2023, 18:50   #24998  |  Link
Sunspark

@htnut You should do more experimentation, for example, if your machine has an integrated GPU, test to see if the bitstreaming works with that instead of the card you're using now.
Old 27th July 2023, 23:56   #24999  |  Link
htnut

I did try on a different machine, but experience the same thing. If I set JRiver to bitstream over HDMI - it only works if "exclusive mode" is checked in JR.

And, consistent with this experience... when I asked JRiver I got that response posted above where I'm told "bitstreaming requires exclusive mode".

But here, I'm told bistreaming should work in shared mode.

So, it seems one of three things:

1. JRiver's reply is wrong - and I simply need to learn how to configure my machine correctly (or use some other hardware)

or

2. JRiver is correct - bitsreaming requires exlcusive mode to bitstream for some reason so I just need to deal with it. (but I sure trust nevcairiel stating that shared mode will [should!] bitstream over DirectSound)

or

3. JRiver does require exlcusive mode to bitstream BUT should not have to. If this is the case, I'm not aware how to ask them to correct this.
Old 28th July 2023, 01:38   #25000  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

WASAPI in shared mode is rather cursed. Its not that helpful. For WASAPI you should always want to use Exclusive.
DirectSound is always in shared mode and requires picking a different output device entirely.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter