Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 28th July 2023, 03:35   #25001  |  Link
htnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
WASAPI in shared mode is rather cursed. Its not that helpful. For WASAPI you should always want to use Exclusive.
DirectSound is always in shared mode and requires picking a different output device entirely.
Ok, this is helpful. Despite over two decades of HTPCs I don't have a grasp on this.

So, now, specifically selecting DirectSound in JR, if bitstreaming:HDMI is turned on, anytime I launch a BD I get the popup "Playback Problem"... "Palyback could not be started"... "The audio format may not be supported by your hardware"..."

W10 sound settings I have set output device to "DENON-AVR (Intel Display Audio)". The only other option is "Headphones".

W10 control panel Sound properties: DENON-AVR is selected with the green checkmark. Right clickng to "properties" shows "supported formats" including all the expected formats (TrueHD, Atmos 2.0, Atmos 2.1, etc.)

And, in the JRiver Audio options I have only two "Direct Sound" options: "Default Audio Device [Direct Sound]" or "DENON-AVR (Intel Display Audio) [Direct Sound]". Either of those options throw the error.

What else might be an issue with my config? My simplist HTPC is an i3 with Intel Iris integrated graphics.

I will note that Zoom Player, set to "Direct Sound DENON AVR (Intel Display Audio)" plays via bitstream (my amp reports ATMOS). This is why I keep thinking that JRiver either can't do it or there's something Im' missing in the configuration of JR, or my PC.

Thanks for sticking with me on this!

Last edited by htnut; 28th July 2023 at 04:32.
htnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2023, 09:14   #25002  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

I guess it depends which version of MC you are using, DirectSound bitstreaming was only fixed recently, so you would only succeed with the latest MC31.
Old 28th July 2023, 20:03   #25003  |  Link
htnut

Quote:
I guess it depends which version of MC you are using, DirectSound bitstreaming was only fixed recently, so you would only succeed with the latest MC31.
Figures, I bought MC30 last year.
Old 28th July 2023, 23:50   #25004  |  Link
Sunspark

I've never done so and don't have an Atmos system, but the dolby atmos for home theatre in the dolby access app from the MS store is free. It's only the headphones part that costs so just skip the trial/purchase and only install. Might be worth a try for you. You could set up the home theatre part and then see which players it will work with.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2023, 07:07   #25005  |  Link
htnut

Quote:
nevcairiel, you hit the nail on the head.

I installed the trial of MC31 this evening and... it works.

All fixed.

So much time I spent trying to find workarounds, to learn that it was a broken implementation of DirectSound the whole time. Tasteless way for me to pay for an upgrade (isn't it a bug that should be fixed in the MC30 I bought?) But, alas, I support those who continue to strive to improve my home theater experience.

Thank you. Thank you.
Old 30th July 2023, 21:29   #25006  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
WASAPI in shared mode is rather cursed. Its not that helpful. For WASAPI you should always want to use Exclusive.
DirectSound is always in shared mode and requires picking a different output device entirely.
If two streams are playing in Shared mode, is one resampled? I've always wondered about this
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2023, 08:31   #25007  |  Link
lvqcl

One, or both, or none. Depends of their sample rate.
lvqcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2023, 09:37   #25008  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

WASAPI shared mode does not in fact resample, as it will only accept input in the currently configured shared sample rate. At least it won't the way its used here.

DirectSound does resample, to the system sample rate.
Old 31st July 2023, 21:27   #25009  |  Link
huhn

so wasapi wouldn't work with the mpdn "resample/reclock" where it just throws an arbitrary sample rate at it?
or isn't supposed to work.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2023, 21:50   #25010  |  Link
Sunspark

While it is true that wasapi and directsound are separate libraries, the output from both libraries goes to the same destination, wasapi shared, which then goes through the windows audio service.

wasapi exclusive skips the audio service but both it and the shared then goes through the kernel streaming library, etc.

Above based on the diagram at https://github.com/dechamps/FlexASIO...er/BACKENDS.md
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2023, 07:14   #25011  |  Link
htnut

Quote:
WASAPI shared mode does not in fact resample, as it will only accept input in the currently configured shared sample rate. At least it won't the way its used here.

DirectSound does resample, to the system sample rate.
So, should JR MC31 also successfully be able to bitstream using WASAPI with "exclusive mode" unchecked?

While I can pause and "share" the DirectSound device, if I instead choose WASAPI + bitstream: HDMI then MC31 throws an error unless "exclusive mode" is checked.

Last edited by htnut; 1st August 2023 at 07:40.
Old 1st August 2023, 07:29   #25012  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

No, WASAPI shared mode does not allow that. In fact I don't think anyone should ever use WASAPI shared mode, its just cumbersome to use.
Old 16th August 2023, 01:01   #25013  |  Link
JarrettH

hey nevcairiel, just wondering, should I be using hardware or software decoding? I run a GT 1030, i3 12100, madvr, latest LAV, MPC-BE, Win 10. I've only settled on software because when I bring up the stats in madvr, my setup is 2 ms faster in render times this way. Thanks.
Old 16th August 2023, 02:14   #25014  |  Link
ryrynz

Might not actually be faster though, should check your clockspeeds.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2023, 21:41   #25015  |  Link
JarrettH

Oh might it downclock? The speed looks about the same to me when I opened up gpu-z. I'm using Optimal power management mode.
Old 17th August 2023, 02:33   #25016  |  Link
ryrynz

Set it to log the results and compare.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2023, 14:24   #25017  |  Link
ashlar42

I am seeing dropped/repeated frames with the new Avatar and Avatar The Way of Water UHD discs.

Remuxing them leads to a situation where, even though the refresh rate is spot on (with madVR indicating expected dropped/repeated frames in days), it drops a frame here, repeats a frame there. In the end, while watching the whole movies, on average I get about 50/60 an hour. They don't always happen in the same portions of the movies but they do tend to appear always in the same "spots" (only sometimes they don't).

I have tried basically everything I know of in madVR and that's why I write here now. One thing I've discovered is that if I use the regular AC3 audio track (as opposed to the TrueHD Atmos one), not a single frame is being dropped or repeated.

Same thing happens if I decode TrueHD Atmos to 7.1 PCM (losing Atmos information in the process, obviously) or AC3 to 5.1 PCM. No frames dropped or repeated.

Any ideas? While looking at LAV options I wondered what is "Auto A/V Sync correction" supposed to do (and if it matters at all in a bitstreaming scenario such as this).

Edit: tried disabling the A/V Sync correction option, it didn't make any difference.

Edit 2: this seems to be happening with several UHD remuxes with an Atmos track. As far as I could tell, Kodi does not exhibit the same problem. Can't tell if these semi-recent fixes have something to do with it: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/22705

Last edited by ashlar42; 18th August 2023 at 14:47.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2023, 16:31   #25018  |  Link
ashlar42

Anyone? Is there anywhere else I should be reporting this at?
Old 22nd August 2023, 18:44   #25019  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

There is a known issue with high-bitrate Atmos tracks that I haven't gotten around to addressing quite yet. Hopefully soon.
Old 22nd August 2023, 23:49   #25020  |  Link
SamuriHL

That would be awesome.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter