Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

 

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 24th February 2020, 15:09   #21  |  Link
F3low
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
Hm, you might want to check out forum rule 6. Discussing illegally obtained content is frowned upon here.
I wasn't talking about illegal things... there are some websites that require you to pay before being able to download and watch.

Last edited by F3low; 24th February 2020 at 15:11.
F3low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2020, 15:38   #22  |  Link
Groucho2004
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 5,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3low View Post
there are some websites that require you to pay before being able to download and watch.
Ah, those websites...
__________________
Groucho's Avisynth Stuff
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2020, 01:16   #23  |  Link
F3low
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
Ah, those websites...

[QUOTE=The moderation team]Dear F3low,

A member of the moderator team discovered a violation of forum rule #6! in the following post..

I actually got a strike even though I said I wasn't talking about anything illegal... downloading doesn't mean pirating.
F3low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2020, 02:18   #24  |  Link
Groucho2004
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 5,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3low View Post
I actually got a strike even though I said I wasn't talking about anything illegal... downloading doesn't mean pirating.
That may be so but your wording "I try to find the highest quality content of what I'm looking for on the internet" leaves little room for interpretation.
However, before issuing a strike the moderator should at least give you a chance to explain what content you are downloading.
__________________
Groucho's Avisynth Stuff
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2020, 03:55   #25  |  Link
F3low
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
That may be so but your wording "I try to find the highest quality content of what I'm looking for on the internet" leaves little room for interpretation.
However, before issuing a strike the moderator should at least give you a chance to explain what content you are downloading.
Yeah, well people always assume the worst.

Last edited by F3low; 1st March 2020 at 05:19.
F3low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2020, 05:14   #26  |  Link
Stereodude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Region 0
Posts: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3low View Post
I believe you're talking about HDDs, I don't use them even for backups because they're just too slow and inconvenient.. I just bought a 500GB SSD and a 128GB SD card for backups and they're already full! I'm waiting for another SD card right now, storage gets filled very quickly.
Personally, I'd just like to know what SD cards you're using that are capable of 200+MB/sec reads and writes since they're faster than HDDs and all.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2020, 13:24   #27  |  Link
F3low
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 21
The SD card isn't faster than HDDs... I use it to keep a copy of my collection on my phone.
F3low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2020, 13:24   #28  |  Link
F3low
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Personally, I'd just like to know what SD cards you're using that are capable of 200+MB/sec reads and writes since they're faster than HDDs and all.
The SD card isn't faster than HDDs... I use it to keep a copy of my collection on my phone.
F3low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2020, 23:02   #29  |  Link
MeteorRain
結城有紀
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 895
Well, there are a few contradictions here.

You want higher quality. You don't want bigger file size because you don't have large storage. You could buy larger storage but you don't want to buy HDDs. You want blazingly fast SSDs but you can't afford many.

I'm not sure where are we going. I recommend bearing with the "slow" 200MB/s HDDs and enjoy the higher video quality. At the end of the day, they are large video files, not a high load database. The speed of them should be fine.
__________________
My Projects
x265 - Yuuki-Asuna-mod
TS - ADTS AAC Splitter | LATM AAC Splitter | BS4K-ASS
Neo AviSynth+ filters - F3KDB | FFT3D | DFTTest | MiniDeen | Temporal Median
MeteorRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2020, 00:49   #30  |  Link
benwaggoner
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorRain View Post
Well, there are a few contradictions here.

You want higher quality. You don't want bigger file size because you don't have large storage. You could buy larger storage but you don't want to buy HDDs. You want blazingly fast SSDs but you can't afford many.

I'm not sure where are we going. I recommend bearing with the "slow" 200MB/s HDDs and enjoy the higher video quality. At the end of the day, they are large video files, not a high load database. The speed of them should be fine.
Yeah, as long as the drive supports sustained read above the peak video bitrate + audio bitrate, all drives provide equivalent playback.

Big slow HDs are way cheaper per TB, and will provide identical media playback experiences. 5400 rpm 3.5" over USB 3.0 is more than good enough. USB 2.0 is way more than good enough for most real-world use cases, even.
__________________
Ben Waggoner
Principal Video Specialist, Amazon Prime Video

My Compression Book
benwaggoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hevc

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.