Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.


Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 31st December 2019, 10:28   #21  |  Link
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 5,034
Originally Posted by kuchikirukia View Post
How is it comparing apples and oranges when it's obviously not the encoder that's the bottleneck so it's comparing ffmpeg as the pipe vs avs4x264?
Same script, ffmpeg chokes while avs4x264 runs fine, both running as pipes to x264.exe.

MeGUI doesn't obfuscate anything. The command line is right in the log.
It didn't even occur to me to use ffmpeg for piping since there is a low fat pipe tool out there (avs4x264).
I can't speak for the performance difference, I have not tested it.
Groucho's Avisynth Stuff
Groucho2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2019, 17:49   #22  |  Link
Registered User
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: France
Posts: 46
Can you please do this test with AVS+ 32 bit?
So I installed Avisynth+ 3.4.0 as advised by "StainleSS", and re-ran those tests...
– Quite astonishingly, running roughly the same script (I may have changed a line or two between the version used for the former tests and a reference copy I made a few hours later but nothing significant), AVSMeter gives a total time just above 47 minutes :
Attachment 17112
– Then with an updated script on which, as also advised by "StainleSS", I replaced the individual Morpheus commands by a single command pointing to a list of frames to interpolate in a separate file, it further reduced the time almost by half (although the absolute improvement from 11+ hours is less impressive it was definitely worth correcting that clumsiness), down to 28.5 minutes :
Name:  AVSMeter x86 script 201912302106 2.png
Views: 377
Size:  16.2 KB
– Then I tested the updated script with Avisynth+ 64 bits, which gave only a tiny improvement, total time of about 28 minutes :
Name:  AVSMeter x64 script 201912310037.png
Views: 414
Size:  16.2 KB

So apparently there's been a lot of progress in terms of efficiency / optimization in Avisynth / Avisynth+ over the last few years.

And the problem with Morph in 64 bits has disappeared, so it seems specific to the older version of Avisynth+ x64 I had before (last time I checked it was supposed to be up-to-date, but I myself am far from being up-to-date generally speaking, I could use a complete revision, but my mom who likes ev'rythin' to be clean and neat and tidy threw away the source code a long time ago, and I'm now way too messed up for any attempt at retro-engineering, so I guess I'll have to stick with my obsolete self until I make my escape).

“If all else fails, it's good to smile in the dark.”
Iggy Pop
Attached Images
abolibibelot is offline   Reply With Quote

avisynth, ffmpeg, framesurgeon, morpheus, x264

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:42.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.