Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > PC Hard & Software

Old 4th April 2024, 18:06   #1  |  Link
Perenista

ImgBurn issues while dealing with Ritek BD-Rs

Before I start explaining, this is what ImgBurn says while checking the disc, again:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
ASUS SBW-06D5H-U E101 (USB)
Current Profile: BD-R

Disc Information:
State of Last Session: Complete
Erasable: No
Sessions: 1
Sectors: 12.143.552
Size: 24.869.994.496 bytes
Time: 2698:36:02 (MM:SS:FF)
MID: RITEK-BR3-000
Supported Read Speeds: 6x
Current Read Speed: 2,5x - 6x

TOC Information:
Session 1... (LBA: 0)
-> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 12143551)
-> LeadOut (LBA: 12143552)

Track Information:
Session 1...
-> Track 01 (LTSA: 0, LTS: 12143552, LRA: 12143551)

Disc Definition Structure:
Certified: No
Scanned: No
Manufacturers Name: PIONEER
Additional ID: SBW-06D5H-U
Serial Number: BADL255379WL

BD Disc Information:
Disc ID: RITEK-BR3-000
Disc Type: BD-R
Disc Size: 120 mm
Disc Class: 0
Disc Version: 1
Disc Time Stamp: 10/2010
Number of Layers: 1
Layer Type: Writable
DVD Layer Present: No
CD Layer Present: No
Channel Bit Length: 74.50 nm (25 GB Per Layer)
Push-Pull Polarity: Positive
Recorded Mark Polarity: HTL
BCA Present: Yes
Maximum Transfer Rate: Not Specified
First PAA of Data Zone: 131.072
Last PAA of Data Zone: 1.658.494

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yesterday I burned a 25 GB BD-R filling 99% of data (24.869.928.960 bytes, total). I noticed the writing was sucessfully, but while verifying (and I do verify all discs after), ImgBurn returned the L-EC Uncorrectable Error while checking one of the files. Just one. ImgBurn continued the ckecking after that, and completed that task.

It seems the disc was burned 100% OK, but 1 of the 249 files had the MD5 hash changed. That's right, 249 files were burned total, 248 of them repeated the same HASH compared to my SSD.

1 didn't.

I used a program called MD5Summer, to create hashes from all of them. From SSD and BD-R.

After more/less 40 minutes, it did while checking this Ritek BD-R, then I repeated the same process with the folders, stored in my SSD.

This site compared the contents of both texts: https://www.diffchecker.com

It told me these hashes (digital fingerprints) are different:

BD-R:

d37d912a9952c34024977afce372b94f *MOVIE.mkv

SSD:

4e33f33f67936bfeddb5362bb938936c *MOVIE.mkv

That particular MKV has 3.34 GB size, 6 subtitles, 3 audio tracks, HEVC video...

And when I open from the BD-R, don't notice anything different (unless I need to watch 100% of the content, while also switching between tracks). But it IS different, since the hash changed.

The question is:

- What went wrong here, and should I assume this MKV is the same as the one stored in my SSD, despite the hash change? Or I need to do another backup from that single file?

Another Ritek BD-R I am having a problem with. Probably that area of the disc is damaged?

The other I had an issue spent more than 30 minutes "writing lead-in", and was stuck in that step. Do I need to discard this BD-R disc? I had to interrupt the writing, but ImgBurn says the media is empty.

P.S. I was able to determine if the file was OK. It isn't, and I already discarded.

- Simply copy all contents from the BD-R into your SSD, again. If it fails, it's damaged.

All were fine, except for this affected MKV. So it's safe to assume the burning went OK 99%, except for that 1% related to that Matroska.

Also, after carefully looking into the disc surface, I believe I noticed either a small scratch which probably account for that problem, or some sort of disc surface anomaly, likely during manufacturing. I doubt this was caused by the external drive or ImgBurn, since other discs were fine during burning and checking. Or the fact I used 99%. This isn't the first coaster I am looking at... not the 1st time it happened, sadly.

Last edited by Perenista; 5th April 2024 at 03:10.
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2024, 20:32   #2  |  Link
RanmaCanada

What went wrong is you used Ritek. Ritek is bargain basement, bottom of the barrel media. Ritek has horrible quality control issues. There were entire batches of this particular ID that failed months if not days after being burned. Sadly with more and more companies stopping the production of physical media, it is getting more and more difficult to get quality blanks.
RanmaCanada is offline   Reply With Quote