Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 14th April 2010, 16:51   #1  |  Link
Poutnik
Useless idea generator

Media center TV Pack 2008/vista64, WTV2DVRMS/MPG conversion

Hi,

could anybody recommend me *working* and free way of conversion of WTV files in Vista to DVR-MS or better direct to MPEG-PS ?

I cannot get ToDVRMS utility to produce usable DVR-MS files( directly, or embedded to DVRMS2MPEGToolbox/WTV 2 DVRMS profiles ). I am already used to convert DVR-MS by DVRMS2MPEG utility to MPEG-PS. I did not find any other working and free solution for Vista64/ TV pack 2008/WTV.

The main reason I use Media center for recording is MCE superior scheduling. I also occasionally use Leadtek Winfast2 (vendor of my USB DTV DONGLE GOLD stick), recording directly to mpg. But it has troubles with incomplete EPG program lists, some channels have holes in program list.

Unfortunately, original MCE online EPG exists for main 4 local channels only. I have recently upgraded Media Center in my Vista64 Home Premium SP2 by TV Pack 2008, that has already channel stream EPG support. I liked TV Pack, but...

But, as a sideeffect of TV pack instalation, Leadtek winfast started crashing when launched. ( other user confirmed the same problem). Concerning this, I was caught into a trap, not being able to convert WTV to anything useful AND even not being able to use Winfast for MPG recording. All I can do now is recording/watching/deleting WTV.

Fortunately, I have system partition backup ( TV PAck is said it cannot be uninstalled ). As last resort, I will revert system back,if I do not find WTV conversion solution quickly.

As a backup EPG solution, DVBGuide is able to get EPG from streams, and I hope xmltv proxy will be working for Vista64,
persuading MCE to load EPG from local source.

Edit: direct load of EPG guide in native MCE format by MCGuideLoad utility unfortunately does not work for vista64 ( confirmed by author ),
but I got somewhere a solution to use original XMLTV guide format, and usage of XMLTV proxy utility forMCE.

Edit2: I have got interesting avice here babgvant.com forums

......I successfully converted a .wtv file to.mpg (mpeg 2) using graphstudio and the ATI mpg file writer,.......
......You need a couple of ATI filters, "ATI MPEG Multiplexer" and "ATI MPEG File Writer". You have these if you have an ATI video card, but I think you can extract them from the latest ATI video drivers also. So, you don't need an ATI video card to have the filters installed I believe. .........

I have Nvidia,than .....
Do you have anybody an idea, what files within ATI install package to go after ? ( 7-zip is great at multilevel package browsing, but short filenames are telling nothing much ).
Or: Is there other way to substitute these ATI MPEG filters by anything else ?

Note that I am in not in fact interesting in MPEG itself, but in known way MPEG - DgIndex - Avisynth - MeGUI - X264/AAC.

Last edited by Poutnik; 15th April 2010 at 07:08. Reason: guideload comment, graphstudio + ATI MPEG filters
Poutnik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, dvr-ms, graphstudio, tv pack, wtv