Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th June 2008, 12:23   #1  |  Link
StickHorsie
Audio Restorator!

Unevenly spaced duplicate frames, but MultiDecimate doesn't quite cut it

Situation: friend & backup nut, busy restoring huge SF collection from rescued external HDs when a fire broke out. (I've adopted the same system since except for the fire bit - also, I *still* think having 14 external HDs is a bit much.)

"Ewwww... it's jerky!"
"Did you do anything weird with those?"
"No, I just removed the black bars and deinterlaced."
"Ah, a decimate problem. I can fix that." After all, I know just enough of VirtualDub, AviDemux and Very Simple AviSynth Scripts to do a standard decimating job. Besides, apart from the slight jerkiness, her copies were better than the ones *I* had.

Taking a DVDload home for testing, I found that on all files the leftover duplicate frames weren't exactly evenly spaced. So no four frames + one duplicate (which would have been easy), but anything from one to twelve frames before the next dupe. So I did a Google, found MultiDecimate, tried every setting I could think of for the next two days (including some pretty far-fetched & random ones), but none of those took out ALL the "jerks".

When I DGBob'ed a snippet out of curiosity (top first), I noticed that the former odd fields (now: odd frames) were of much lower quality than the former even fields, which might explain MultiDecimate having trouble identifying all the dupes correctly (which is a wild guess. I'm a newbie.)

Anymoo: HALP!!!! (Or: "Ideas, anyone?")

snippet: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=72UXEC4W (39.6 MB, 43" mpeg2, no audio)

Last edited by StickHorsie; 6th June 2008 at 21:45. Reason: typos, catchier title and a little less drama ;)
StickHorsie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
decimate, duplicate frames, jerky video, multidecimate