Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 9th November 2018, 22:29   #1  |  Link
stormy1777

Direct Copy Stream, cannot be used with this video strem

This must be something obvious, which I've missed for some reason, sorry in advance

Using Virtualduv2/42711 with MOV file from camera..

When attempting to save direct-copy on the *video*, getting a failure RIGHT AWAY:

Code:
Direct stream copy cannot be used with the video stream. Yoy may want to select different inpu frame.
read online on some OPEN option, "input driver open using", however in my case it is GREYED out and seems to be locked on:

"Caching input driver"

Attempted VirtualDubAIO (all in one) and it opens and writes the move file just fine so i know the avi is OK/working....

Is this possible to write MOV/direct copy in virtualdub2 ? need special plugin?

any tips welcomed

Stormy
stormy1777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2018, 00:28   #2  |  Link
shekh

Old good plugin is QuickTime.vdplugin (QuickTime Plugin by fccHandler)

Hint: when you see standard error dialog, you can ctrl+c the message so you don't have to type it.
Old 10th November 2018, 09:28   #3  |  Link
stormy1777

I'm somewhat of a newbie, as many others are... this post is for them

Top 10 searches do not seem to be what you mean... Some talk about VD Plugin PACKS but that is from 2008, sounds too old.

Side note: All these acronyms (ffmpeg, ffdshow, DirectShow, MOV/AVI/MPEG/MPEG2/WMV/XVID/DIVX/xyz, etc. etc.), mix up in my head frequently mostly b/c many are "containers" and others are en/coders/filters and their interaction is often not very obvious to non-developers

Looking further found:

http://gral.y0.pl/~fcchandler/index.html with a promising title of "fccHandler's stuff"

and later this more "officially" looking location: https://sourceforge.net/projects/fcchandler/files/

long story short, it works after placing the QuickTime.vdplugin in the plugins32 directory!!!

Maybe someone made a more recent plugin packs... anyways, I got them all loaded so hopefully I'll be quiet for a bit

I assume this "quicktime" is only needed for this direct-copy, or should this be used always for MOV/quicktime movies?

Stormy

Last edited by stormy1777; 10th November 2018 at 10:15.
Old 10th November 2018, 10:43   #4  |  Link
shekh

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fcchandler/ is the location. All this is long abandoned.
QuickTime plugin does demuxing compatible with AVI pipeline so that VD can try to copy it to AVI or decode using VFW codecs. How good is this? I don't know. Surely some details cannot be handled that way.
Worst part is, decoding depends on VFW which is poor abandoned interface not supported by any fresh codec. Even worse is ACM for audio. Sorry for more acronyms
Old 10th November 2018, 12:29   #5  |  Link
stormy1777

oh, yeah, so funny, I EDITED the post to add a few more acronyms how funny.. anyways, I'm sticking to the "CACHING INPUT DRIVER", which seems to be the default, unless the Quicktime/MOV Direct/Copy is needed

Noticed when opening using the Quicktime driver, the jump button (yellow icon) from key frame to keyframe can sometimes goes all over the place, i.e. back/forward, the frame numbers increase but movie itself skips BACK , or the other way around, that does not happen with the Caching input driver..

Due to your excess usage of the word Abandon, decided to do the same, and just use that on an on-needed basis

S.