Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 4th May 2011, 16:11   #1  |  Link
Zephyria

x264 (high bitrate) to xvid (middle bitrate)

Hi again ^^°

I would like to ask you if you got some good avs scripts and/or filters that allows to keep a good seeable quality when you decrease the bitrate.

Source : bitrate 1750
expected bitrate : 1200

For example, I see that I got a lot of "squares" that, I supposed, are macroblocks :
-> i use Deblock to decrease that, but it seems not to be enough.
Squares are still there. Less than before, but still there.
Is Deblock(quant=60) supposed to be enough ?

I also tried FFT3DGPU(sigma=9,sharpen=1.3), but i'm not sure that's a good idea, it "seems" doing a general good job, but seems also doing shit (like little clouds).
Is disable the sharpen of this filter a good idea to test it ?
Do you have others filters that would keep the general seeable quality and do a better job (I don't care the speed) ?

Last edited by Zephyria; 4th May 2011 at 16:16.
Zephyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 18:56   #2  |  Link
kypec
User of free A/V tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyria View Post
Do you have others filters that would keep the general seeable quality and do a better job (I don't care the speed) ?
Yes.
Code:
Spline36Resize(width/2,height/2)
kypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 20:44   #3  |  Link
Usedocne
lurkster

Please tell me this guy/gal isn't trying to encode 720p stuff with XviD @ 1200 Kbps. XD

This is Doom9, Zephyria, not Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Usedocne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 22:42   #4  |  Link
Zephyria

No, no, my video is 720x480 codec x264 size 280mo (261mo without the sound, don't care about the sound here) bitrate 1750 and last 26 minutes, and the problem is that I have to do a video that have less than 230mo.
The bitrate expected is around 1200-1250.

The problem is that the video is very colorful and lively, so it does a lot of macroblocks x264 -> xvid (not only bitrate).
Why Xvid ? Cause x264 may not be red on the device I have to use it, and I need the avi format (and mp3 sound ; or ogg).

With this :
Deblock(quant=60, aOffset=16, bOffset=24)
a = last
b = a.FFT3DGPU()
SeeSaw(a,b, NRlimit=3, NRlimit2=4, Sstr=1.5, Slimit=5, Spower=5, Sdamplo=6, Szp=16)

I get an average result (very good for some scenes, bad with others), but I believe I could probably do beter.
I encode videos since 5 years with virtual dub and MeGUI, but this time, the filters that I usually use seem not to be enough.

That's why I need some help with guys that are certainly beter encoders that I am ^^. Encoders, I said, not magicians

If you have filters that I could test, please tell me ^^.

Last edited by Zephyria; 4th May 2011 at 22:45.
Old 5th May 2011, 02:39   #5  |  Link
yetanotherid
Banned

I can't help with filters but why not reduce the resolution?
If I encode a video using a width of 720, I can barely see a difference (or often not at all) between it and an encode of the same video at a width of 656 or 640, when both are running side by side, full screen on my monitors. Of course I'm referring to two encodes of the same quality and all else being equal, but I prefer a better quality at a lesser resolution than a poorer quality at a higher resolution.
A softer resizer on the way down would probably help with the blocking too.

If you have AutoGK installed, as an experiment use it to convert the video. Leave it in auto mode, pick the file size, and see what it decides the best resolution and resizer should be. It'd be interesting to compare it's results to the encodes you're getting now.
AutoGK only encodes AVI, but if your video is in MP4 format you can simply change the extension to AVI, (deselect the audio) and it'll encode it fine. You need to have the Haali media splitter installed for that to work (and a directshow decoder such as ffdshow). If it's MKV, you can convert it to AVI with MKVCleaver so AutoGK can encode it. Or you can wrap an AVISyth script into an AVI and load it into AutoGK.....
yetanotherid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 02:52   #6  |  Link
Zephyria

It's a mp4, and I got CCCP installed (haali and ffdshow installed), so, no problem.
AutoGK seems to tell me that 480x360 should be the best resolution, but I wonder if it's a good idea to do it, knowing that it will be auto resize on a TV device later.

Gonna try a script with that resolution and test it tomorrow, it should allow me to explain more clearly the problems I see on the video.